Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

So are there any new trinkets that can rival cancer for best in the game?

Cancer is so good. Don't even need any other tear up items if you find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

comingafteryouall posted:

The one that can spawn shops in the Womb can, in the specific circumstance that you have Recycle and haven't yet filled out a breaking setup. And I'm very happy with the Locust that spawns three flies, although it's still not as good as Cancer. Yay, cancer!

RatHat posted:

I think you need to actually get the credits screen to count for win streaks. So Isaac/Satan without the right trinket is the earliest.
Hey, thanks for this. I forgot I could just take the Negative and go to Isaac and end the run there, I had been going Polaroid and through the Chest.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Curved Horn is sometimes better. Other trinkets are situationally better, like you don't need Cancer with Mom's Knife or Brimstone but you really don't need anything else with those two anyway. Cancer is great because there's nothing in the game quite as satisfying as a tear delay of 1.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!
So. Has anyone else noticed a bug with Mini Mush where it decreases your range instead of increasing?

Just had an Azazel run, and was pretty annoyed.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

BJPaskoff posted:

Curved Horn is sometimes better. Other trinkets are situationally better, like you don't need Cancer with Mom's Knife or Brimstone but you really don't need anything else with those two anyway. Cancer is great because there's nothing in the game quite as satisfying as a tear delay of 1.

I can't remember since it's been a while since I've had Mom's Knife or Brimstone with cancer, but does it still work on shortening their charges? That's not nearly as good as when you have tears, but still useful.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Steelpudding posted:

So. Has anyone else noticed a bug with Mini Mush where it decreases your range instead of increasing?

Just had an Azazel run, and was pretty annoyed.

It lowers range but adds tear height, which is detrimental to Azazel.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!

that ivy guy posted:

It lowers range but adds tear height, which is detrimental to Azazel.

Wow, that's dumb.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I just watched NL's latest run where he got the glowing hourglass, which after a few uses (turns out it was 5) turned into normal hourglass, just when it was becoming fun and was looking like it could be an item worth considering to have as an active...

Wiki says this is a change in Afterbirth+ . I guess the fastest route to "fixing" a potential overpowered/breaking item is turning it into garbage and be done with it.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

In a void, not really, but the lightbulbs are pretty amazing with infinite use or single use items. Particularly Dim Bulb.

Though both Cancer and the Vibrant Bulb together are probably better with Mom's Box. The Dim Bulb's actually got triple Vibrant Bulb's attack and shot speed, but I feel like also having double Cancer beats out the difference.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Fragmented Card, which causes two secret rooms to spawn (so long as you entered the floor holding it) is pretty great.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

AbstractNapper posted:

I just watched NL's latest run where he got the glowing hourglass, which after a few uses (turns out it was 5) turned into normal hourglass, just when it was becoming fun and was looking like it could be an item worth considering to have as an active...

Wiki says this is a change in Afterbirth+ . I guess the fastest route to "fixing" a potential overpowered/breaking item is turning it into garbage and be done with it.

How was glowing hourglass even overpowered, anyway? The only use I knew of besides resetting rooms that were going really badly was easy donation machine fills.

I'm honestly considering learning to mod so I can make one that undos all the stupid nerfs they keep doing.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Wrist Watch posted:

How was glowing hourglass even overpowered, anyway? The only use I knew of besides resetting rooms that were going really badly was easy donation machine fills.

I'm honestly considering learning to mod so I can make one that undos all the stupid nerfs they keep doing.

The wiki seems to suggest that it was because of the donation machines...

It's a rubbish excuse, maybe because donation machines are the least of my worries (I guess the devs didn't want people to get all the donation-tier unlockables at once? because oh noes, after you've done that why even play the game)

But five uses and then you are out? How is that fair and not a rushed fix that trashes the item? What if the player had waited for the last moment to use the time-reset, when he was at his last half heart and couldn't dodge a boss attack, only to find out that, nope, they are still at the same spot and they can watch their death in slower motion.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 16, 2017

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

AbstractNapper posted:

It's a rubbish excuse, maybe because donation machines are the least of my worries (I guess the devs didn't want people to get all the donation-tier unlockables at once? because oh noes, after you've done that why even play the game)

But five uses and then you are out? How is that fair and not a rushed fix that trashes the item? What if the player had waited for the last moment to use the time-reset, when he was at his last half heart and couldn't dodge a boss attack, only to find out that, nope, they are still at the same spot and they can watch their death in slower motion.

Then I have to question their ability to see, since the hourglass visibly changes to the normal hourglass when it switches.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

AbstractNapper posted:

It's a rubbish excuse, maybe because donation machines are the least of my worries

If you were doing any kind of streaking it was a good way to keep the donation machine topped up

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There were various ways of abusing it but they were all very boring so I'm fine with the change.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There were various ways of abusing it but they were all very boring so I'm fine with the change.

It's a silly, pointless change. I'm sure the two people who were abusing it are steaming mad but the rest of us are scratching our heads trying to figure out why they'd bother making a mediocre item worse.

If you want to break this game, the punishment is automatically levied in terms of the time you're spending breaking a fairly easy game. Yet it seems like the developers have this obsession with only altering the balance when someone discovers an incredibly niche, tedious manner of breaking it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
They could change it again so if used 5 times in a single room it breaks. That's probably more fair, but even then would prevent stuff like redos against Hush.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Prop Wash posted:

Yet it seems like the developers have this obsession with only altering the balance when someone discovers an incredibly niche, tedious manner of breaking it.
And yet slot machines and shell game beggars are still in the game.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Supremezero posted:

Then I have to question their ability to see, since the hourglass visibly changes to the normal hourglass when it switches.

That is true, of course. It changes to the normal hourglass icon.

I doubt if anyone would notice it --especially since you don't anticipate something like that and the glowing hourglass is not a new item in AB+ -- but I can't rule it out of course.

While watching the video, I didn't get why it didn't work, even after it didn't, until NL pointed out that it changed to plain ol' hourglass. In the meantime I just thought that it was a bug, or that the item wouldn't work under some conditions (eg if you didn't change stats, lose/gain health or didn't pick up an item then it would deem it pointless to rewind).

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
This "Get to The Lamb without picking up hearts, bombs, or coins" achievement is absolute bullshit, ESPECIALLY when items get dropped right in front of a doorway and you can't avoid picking them up. Or you get one of those single-tile-wide bridge rooms and an item spawns right in the middle of it.

I was able to make it to Satan once, but that's it. I just can't get a consistently strong loadout without my precious pickups. :(

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
Victory laps are enjoyable. I like seeing how picking up multiple of the same items causes the game to break.

I learned that Lilith with fruit cake and the parasite is just a super fun combo.

I also feel like mom's knife got a lot more synergies.

How do victory runs work (I've completed 3 laps). Do you just keep going as the lost or does it end there? Or does it just end at certain bosses? My runs ended at the Hush and again at Blue baby.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
Being able to undo anything that goes wrong in a run is extremely powerful. Even with a 5 use limit, Glowing Hourglass is still really good.

quote:

How do victory runs work (I've completed 3 laps). Do you just keep going as the lost or does it end there? Or does it just end at certain bosses? My runs ended at the Hush and again at Blue baby.
You can do a victory lap any time you beat The Lamb in the dark room. If you end the run anywhere else (eg. Blue Baby, Megasatan, or Delirium), you won't get the opportunity for a victory lap. You can go as many time as you want, but you'll lose more items each time.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Jamesman posted:

This "Get to The Lamb without picking up hearts, bombs, or coins" achievement is absolute bullshit, ESPECIALLY when items get dropped right in front of a doorway and you can't avoid picking them up. Or you get one of those single-tile-wide bridge rooms and an item spawns right in the middle of it.

I was able to make it to Satan once, but that's it. I just can't get a consistently strong loadout without my precious pickups. :(

Use the G0NE S00N (iirc) seed to make pickups vanish after 7 seconds (doesn't disable achievements since it's a challenge seed).

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Prop Wash posted:

Yet it seems like the developers have this obsession with only altering the balance when someone discovers an incredibly niche, tedious manner of breaking it.

It's not exactly the worse consideration - there's a term for that I've forgotten, but basically it's a thing in games for players to take unfun routes because they produce the best results. (Eg: Destiny's loot cave) By removing that sort of thing you save players from having to feel like they're taking a risk or missing out by not doing tedious-but-safe strategies.

That said,

DACK FAYDEN posted:

And yet slot machines and shell game beggars are still in the game.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

This is very silly. if you have no other tears ups, cancer has less effect than a hanger.

new trinket candidates for "situationally better than cancer" include: dim bulb, locust of conquest, locust of wrath

BJPaskoff posted:

wanting to know under what conditions curved horn is better than cancer was the impetus for me to make this DPS calculator page: http://hyphen-ated.github.io/rebirthDps/

it's missing plenty of new items but the fundamental relationships between damage, tears, and delay are still the same

Hyphen-ated fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 16, 2017

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just started playing this game pretty fun so far. Kinda reminds me of Spelunky.

Also what is that item that gives you 9x lives I picked it up but I forgot the name.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Dead cat.

Speaking of I picked up 2 dead cats and a collar and got x17 extra lives during my victory laps. That was cool.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

the popular kids posted:

Dead cat.

Speaking of I picked up 2 dead cats and a collar and got x17 extra lives during my victory laps. That was cool.

This happened to me in one of my first Lost runs back in Rebirth. Died to satan 18 times

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

that ivy guy posted:

This happened to me in one of my first Lost runs back in Rebirth. Died to satan 18 times

I can't finish backasswards because I am bad at game. Whether I kill or skip megasatan I almost always die to Satan.....

Sad.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

the popular kids posted:

I can't finish backasswards because I am bad at game. Whether I kill or skip megasatan I almost always die to Satan.....

Sad.
Satan is a hard fight, honestly.

Don't forget that his foot doesn't damage you once it's on the ground in the final phase. Have to dodge the stomp but then you can ram into it and fire for dear life.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I feel like so many of these opinions are made by people who would be considered top-tier at that level of mastery at any other game. "Dead Cat is a great item, get it every time"

Sure, it's great if you literally never get hit, but having one hit for all the hardest bosses in the game is generally a death sentence for me, and I've gotten a majority of post-it marks on Hard Mode with all the characters. And if you're never dying with Dead Cat, then why is it so great in the first place?

Ideas that come to mind are:

-So you can take like every devil deal
But you're likely still left with a character with a single heart container, and probably a spare sin heart or two. Even with mighty strength, devil items usually don't keep you from getting hit.

-If you have an easy method of generating soul hearts
You're probably going to win anyways, and the chance of having the rare easy-soul-hearts setup AND finding Dead Cat is pretty niche... and it probably would still leave you in a bad position for fighting a boss after dying, unless your item combo is so sweet it doesn't even need you to go through several rooms.

What's the deal, guys? Let me know what I am apparently missing.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

John Lee posted:

I feel like so many of these opinions are made by people who would be considered top-tier at that level of mastery at any other game. "Dead Cat is a great item, get it every time"

Sure, it's great if you literally never get hit, but having one hit for all the hardest bosses in the game is generally a death sentence for me, and I've gotten a majority of post-it marks on Hard Mode with all the characters. And if you're never dying with Dead Cat, then why is it so great in the first place?

But you're likely still left with a character with a single heart container, and probably a spare sin heart or two. Even with mighty strength, devil items usually don't keep you from getting hit.

You're probably going to win anyways, and the chance of having the rare easy-soul-hearts setup AND finding Dead Cat is pretty niche... and it probably would still leave you in a bad position for fighting a boss after dying, unless your item combo is so sweet it doesn't even need you to go through several rooms.

Potential for Guppy.

If I'm towards the end of a run I probably won't pick up dead cat. But if I'm in the first half, I'm definitely picking it up. Getting to take more devil deals and Guppy will usually end up with broken runs.

I feel pretty comfortable taking it when I have a couple of soul hearts saved up and rarely die because I took it, but often end up with overpowered combos after I take it.

And Satan is hard. Back in original Isaac, that fight got my heart pumping every time. I don't know if I was worse at the game, or if original Isaac was harder to break.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

John Lee posted:

Dead Cat is part of the Guppy transformation, which is an astoundingly broken thing that wins you runs (especially if you're just going up to the Chest). If you're taking Devil Deals as they come, you're gonna be running on one, maybe two heart containers all the time anyway, all your other health is gonna be soul/evil hearts anyway. By itself it's a pretty niche item, but the fact it gives you Guppy makes it REAL strong. Plus, if you somehow gently caress up and die, you can recover a run by picking some lucky soul hearts.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, Dead Cat was a fairly pointless item in the original game, where it really wasn't all that helpful unless you didn't have that many red hearts in the first place. And back then, Soul Hearts were not that easy to come by as they are now, so you were better off skipping it if it came way too late.

It's still a fairly questionable item by itself unless you're playing as the Lost or Keeper, but the Guppy transformation is the real reason to take it. The fact that Soul Hearts are much easier to come by now makes the 1 red heart penalty sting a lot less. Yeah the extra lives benefit isn't that great, but it doesn't really hurt you either unless you're really late in a run, and have like 12 red hearts for some reason.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Huh. I have 150 hours of Rebirth logged, and I've only gotten Guppy twice. I'm sure "Well, that's 'cause you never take Dead Cat :smug:" is part of it, but I rarely see cat pieces other than the Paw, and taking Dead Cat and not getting lucky afterwards is basically a failure; I'm not cool enough to beat Satan without getting hit, and ??? is risky.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have literally never made a meat boy or bandage girl without cheating in 270 hours over the course of 2 years so you are not alone in probably feeling that the really rare combo things are way too rare.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I get Guppy pretty often, but I also go HARD for Devil deals.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fetus posted:

And back then, Soul Hearts were not that easy to come by as they are now

Remember when they were uncapped? :v:

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Hyphen-ated posted:

wanting to know under what conditions curved horn is better than cancer was the impetus for me to make this DPS calculator page: http://hyphen-ated.github.io/rebirthDps/

it's missing plenty of new items but the fundamental relationships between damage, tears, and delay are still the same

Thanks for this dude, this is pretty cool! I smell an idea for a mod that adds to the HUD :)

Dias posted:

I get Guppy pretty often, but I also go HARD for Devil deals.

Same, Devil deals are almost always worth it, and most of my successful end with zero to few red heart containers and lots of blue/black hearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
How to get Guppy items:

- Check every curse room and ambush room for red chests. Open them all.
- Get as many Devil Deals as possible.
- Take the Left Hand trinket every time it appears, as it changes all chests into red chests, and even works on existing chests.
- Open Golden Chests too, as they can contain Guppy's Head.

If you just have base Rebirth, Guppy should be easier to come by, as the Red Chest pool contains very little besides Guppy items. Afterbirth polluted that pool with a good bit of trash.