Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Libertarianism is worship of the self above all else, nothing more and nothing less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Evidently we aren't America anymore.

"I'm taking my ball and going home to Texas."

I've never seen someone take losing an election so poorly.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

themrguy posted:

What a baby, pity he's moving because he's like the platonic ideal of a CAGOPer.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

themrguy posted:

Oh no whatever will we do without Paul Chabot!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

themrguy posted:

I love the last line of that article. Great little jab as a parting shot.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ComradeCosmobot posted:

If Trump can become president, surely Peter Thiel can become governor. (Yeah right)

Considering Donald Trump lost California by over 30%, including traditional Republican strongholds like Orange County, this checks out

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

themrguy posted:

:sad:

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

themrguy posted:

Great. Dude was still on the "weed = terrorism" bus.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The California Pirate Party just held their weekly meeting. They're suddenly extremely active, and coordinating actions to protest trump. I'm impressed by their organization.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

themrguy posted:

:laffo: Of course he's moving to white-bread McKinney.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I'm the article about him leaving Texas when it's gentrified by California liberals moving in with the Austin tech boom.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm the article about him leaving Texas when it's gentrified by California liberals moving in with the Austin tech boom.

Texas will still be a solidly red state though. I think that's all that really matters to him.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You'd be surprised, that wasn't really a joke. Texas conservatives bitch and moan about their state being turned purple by "California refugees" since its tech industry is expanding. Every year it gets a little less red.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah amusingly that's the result of their hard push to have a tech center actually kind of sort of succeeding, a little.

But not really. In every state, urban populations are growing and rural populations are shrinking. And urban populations almost always go blue. I think it's a result of being exposed to multiculturalism, the need for people to work together to solve problems, and the concentration of higher education.

http://www.chron.com/politics/election/local/article/Map-comparison-Texas-2012-election-results-10604025.php

If Texas' population continues to grow, and to shift towards urban living, eventually the state has to go purple and will become a battleground state in national elections. Meanwhile, rural counties nationwide are going redder. The real divide in America isn't between red states and blue states, it's between city-and-suburb dwellers and rural voters. And the urbanites are gradually winning, although the structure of the senate and electoral college ensure the inhabitants of the more rural, red states retain significant power.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Texas conservatives bitch and moan about their state being turned purple by "California refugees" since its tech industry is expanding. Every year it gets a little less red.

The funny thing is that all the CA-to-TX people i've known or read/heard about, moved there because it's cheaper, and/or because it's more conservative. Nothing to do with tech, and many of them are conservatives themselves. Though that is just anecdotal.

The real reason texas is getting less conservative is the same as anywhere else: growing urban populations, shrinking rural populations, growing minority populations, shrinking racist whitey populations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I know many CA to TX transplants, and Northeast to TX as well, all urban professionals. In all cases it's because of economics, cheaper housing, job opportunity etc. These are all non tech.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Zwabu posted:

I know many CA to TX transplants, and Northeast to TX as well, all urban professionals. In all cases it's because of economics, cheaper housing, job opportunity etc. These are all non tech.

Yeah, this is the kind of thing I'm referring to except in tech. Lots of tech jobs are opening up in Texas. California has a large tech sector and plenty of tech professionals looking for jobs. They go to Texas, they bring their California politics with them. I'm sure that many conservative Californians like our tilted wannabe Senator there move there as well, but the Texas tech boom is one factor of many contributing to when it will blue itself.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah, this is the kind of thing I'm referring to except in tech. Lots of tech jobs are opening up in Texas. California has a large tech sector and plenty of tech professionals looking for jobs. They go to Texas, they bring their California politics with them. I'm sure that many conservative Californians like our tilted wannabe Senator there move there as well, but the Texas tech boom is one factor of many contributing to when it will blue itself.

Yeah. The people I know are high salary medical types who skew more conservative than the average Californian (or Northeasterner) but definitely more liberal than the average Texan, and as a group contribute to the "blueing" process.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Texas has enough people who think their property value is the metric all things should be judged by. Stop sending more.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Trulia's chief economist did an analysis of it's economic impacts across the state and it's pretty interesting. I immediately thought of you guys.

https://www.trulia.com/blog/trends/prop-13/

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Feinstein plans to run again:

https://ww2.kqed.org/news/2017/01/18/will-she-or-wont-she-feinstein-hints-at-2018-run/

:negative:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

quote:

“If I can produce, and I can produce, and I can continue to produce, then I will continue to produce. If I believe I can’t, either by health or any other way, I won’t, but as long as I believe I can, I will,” Feinstein said. “Is that pretty clear?”

Nothing like some good ol' Feinstein doublespeak from the Queen Hypocrite herself.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Let's face it, she's going to be voting on the Senate floor from a freakin' hospital bed when she's 102 :negative:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

She's going to keep running until she turns to dust because she's one of the most senior members of the DNC and no democratic candidate who harbors serious career aspirations would dare oppose her and bring the wrath of the party apparatus down on themselves.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sydin posted:

She's going to keep running until she turns to dust because she's one of the most senior members of the DNC and no democratic candidate who harbors serious career aspirations would dare oppose her and bring the wrath of the party apparatus down on themselves.

Unless some fresh-faced gently caress-The-(Wo)Man Berniecrat who doesn't care about The Party Establishment could gain sufficient momentum against her :kimchi:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Unless some fresh-faced gently caress-The-(Wo)Man Berniecrat who doesn't care about The Party Establishment could gain sufficient momentum against her :kimchi:

Not likely, but theoretically possible; apparently Bernie-inspired delegates had massive wins here:

https://twitter.com/OurRevolution/status/822215574575075328

(Article is the important bit; linking it through the tweet just because it has the numbers right there.)

Encouragingly, the party is, at least outwardly, looking at this as a positive thing, seeing the energy and numbers as something to harness rather than as a threat or something to be discouraged as they instead move to the center. Seeing this earlier today has me feeling a bit more optimistic, really.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, on the above topic, she's still giving plenty of reasons to want to primary her.

https://twitter.com/jamiedupree/status/823702422749057028

Dammit, Feinstein.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I normally think primarying incumbent Dems is a horrible idea, but I'd actually be all for it Feinstein''s case.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm enjoying an east Sacramento brewer having a meltdown because he needs a safe space for his fee-fees. :feelsgood:

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Since we get top two in the general, it'll hopefully be Feinstein vs a better Dem. Not sure who that would be yet though.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Oh man this is good.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

quote:

Asked how he sought to balance his right to free speech with his interests as a business owner, Murphy replied, “Apparently as a business owner, I don’t get free speech any more.”

Haha no dude, you do get free speech. Just, people have the freedom to not buy products from you because of your lovely political opinions that you freely spoke about.

Always frustrating and/or delightful when people can't quite conceive of what "free speech" actually means. Quite often those same people are staunch defenders of the constitution - religiously so.

quote:

“We need to prove ourselves to our customers,” she said in an interview. “I’m not on social media at all. Words are so one-dimensional. We hope people go beyond words and go beyond social media. … His post was really born out of frustration and anger. That’s not an excuse. I mean, who would be stupid enough to say something that would wipe out our business?”

Your husband, that's who.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/824310814190534657

Interesting, I suppose. I need to learn more about some of these people though because I do not recognize all those names.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

quote:

Some of his comments seem to be made on a whim. In one post from August, Murphy used a derogatory term for someone from Pakistan, saying the person had “just called on my cell phone and tried to tell me he was from Dell and needed my credit card number to fix malware on my PC. What a moron.” In one post, he displayed a statement calling the Islamic faith “barbaric.”

Talk poo poo, get hit.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Turns out Peter Thiel took out New Zealand citizenship in 2011. New Zealanders are outraged he didn't meet the requirements, including living primarily in NZ for five years.

quote:

SAN FRANCISCO — Peter Thiel is a billionaire, the biggest Donald J. Trump supporter in Trump-hating Silicon Valley and, above all, someone who prides himself on doing the opposite of what everyone else is doing.

So it makes perfect sense that right after President Trump proclaimed that “the bedrock of our politics will be a total allegiance to the United States of America,” Mr. Thiel was revealed to have become in 2011 a citizen of a small country on the other side of the world: New Zealand.

In these uncertain times, it may be smart to have a backup country. But the news that one of the richest citizens of New Zealand is a naturalized American who was born in Germany set off an immediate furor in the island nation, with questions being raised about whether being a billionaire gets you special treatment.

If you like New Zealand enough to want to become a citizen, the country’s Department of Internal Affairs noted on Wednesday, you are usually supposed to actually live there. Mr. Thiel does not appear to have done this.

I can't think the dual citizenship would play well with the electorate. This is chosen dual citizenship, not just being born into two nationalities.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

All the ultra rich have citizenship or land in NZ, it's their safe haven when the world implodes

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

FCKGW posted:

All the ultra rich have citizenship or land in NZ, it's their safe haven when the world implodes

The full article says he and his close friends will fly there in the event of Doom occurring, so yes. Poor New Zealand. The rest of us will die a merciful death, but they'll be stuck with Peter Thiel for (he thinks) forever.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The fun part is that in the event of the apocalypse, his billions of dollars amount to nothing and he'll have to like herd sheep or farm or something. In New Zealand. As a foreigner nobody knows or cares about, so I wonder how much deference he'll get given his presumably total lack of skill at sheep etc?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The left needs to organize around a progressive challenger to her seat. With how fractured the CA GOP is, a challenge to Feinstein's left could certainly finish second in the open primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Roland Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/824310814190534657

Interesting, I suppose. I need to learn more about some of these people though because I do not recognize all those names.

How the gently caress is Faulconer outpolling Garcetti