Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/RobSchneider/status/821054409106821120

https://twitter.com/TylerIAm/status/821066967792676867

https://twitter.com/TylerIAm/status/821079678500962306

The replies to the second tweet are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsZXc937qrY

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Given the day, this is as good an opportunity as I'm likely to get to run another question by you all, this time concerning the prominence of non-violence in how we remember MLK jr. For background, I'm a historian and though I tend to focus more on Europe, I have taught a fair amount of US history and whenever the subject of MLK jr comes up inevitably the first thing students will comment on is how admirable his use of non-violence was. How he used it, in what context, and toward what specific ends, however, are often distressingly vague. In part, I don't doubt this comes from just general weaknesses in high school history classes, but I've for a long time had the sneaking suspicion that there's been a deliberate move to overemphasis on his use of non-violence as a way to demarcate that which is "safe" to commemorate about him, downplay the rest of what he did, and by association with the great man thus delegitimize any other social actor who doesn't follow the (sanitized, inaccurate) path thus prescribed.

Or, to put it much more simply, do you think that a lot of people talk up a superficial version of non-violent resistance just to give themselves an excuse to dismiss any other form of racial activism?

I believe this picture is apt.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Fluffdaddy posted:

And we still fight on.

Yeah. That is the key isn't it. They keep going and you gotta keep going too.

Gotta run faster and faster just to stay in the same place, faster still to move forward.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

No please. Not Rob Schneider too. This is worse than reading Chuck Norris and Clint Eastwoods wiki pages for the first time.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dejawesp posted:

No please. Not Rob Schneider too. This is worse than reading Chuck Norris and Clint Eastwoods wiki pages for the first time.

He's part of Adam Sandler's clique. They're all ridiculously racist and awful.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Daaaaaaamn, Coretta!

Majorian posted:

He's part of Adam Sandler's clique. They're all ridiculously racist and awful.

I remember hearing that he was on the outs because he's super conservative.

And a white dude lecturing John Lewis on MLK of all things.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Deuce Biggalow lecturing anyone on anything ever

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I had sort of assumed that the only reason he ever got cast in anything was him having friends in the business. Are there people out there who actually like Rob Schneider?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
I have a sister who loves The Hot Chick. She also thinks that Beyoncé is a member of the Illuminati, all political parties are the same, Hillary Clinton is a serial killing lesbian, and that she's unfairly discriminated against for not speaking spanish in a majority hispanic border town.

i mean i don't want to generalize, but rob schneider fans do not fill me with confidence

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Chelb posted:

I have a sister who loves The Hot Chick. She also thinks that Beyoncé is a member of the Illuminati, all political parties are the same, Hillary Clinton is a serial killing lesbian, and that she's unfairly discriminated against for not speaking spanish in a majority hispanic border town.

i mean i don't want to generalize, but rob schneider fans do not fill me with confidence

But hey, remember the hilarious "makin' COPIES?" sketch, rotd?

...oh wait, you weren't born then.

e: Anyway, to stay on the topic of this thread, Octavia Spencer bought out a screening of "Hidden Figures" for low-income families:

quote:

“My mom would not have been able to afford to take me and my siblings,” the actor said in a message posted to her Instagram account. So in honor of her mom and other single parents, Spencer invited low-income families to see the film for free over Martin Luther King weekend. The star bought out Friday’s 8 p.m. showing of “Hidden Figures” at the Rave movie theater in Los Angeles, and she told people to spread the word.

That makes me happy. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm going to. God knows it's a story that needs to be told, now of all times.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 16, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

there wolf posted:

Bayard Rustin was the person who sold MLK on the idea of non-violent protest. He was an early civil rights leader who supported King, as well as being a gay, pacifist, communist, which is why it's awesome that there's a high school named after him.

He got kind of written out of the history books because he was gay, but I can't really effectively summarize his life and accomplishments so I highly recommend just perusing his wiki.

Sweet. That is really cool to have been near even such a small window into a history ignored.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
What's a less racist word than "classy"? That's kind of a weird way to phrase my question but it boils down to that, I think.

Looking back on eight years of Obama, he has definitely brought gravitas to the office that, honestly, it seems like no president in the last few decades had actively tried to cultivate in the way he did. It's not that the others behaved in ways unbecoming of the office, but both W and "Slick Willy" actively tried to be men of the people, at least in public image. He's classy. But "classy" is one of those words some people use to describe a thing a white person does that a black person doesn't.

So I guess my question is really: What's a word that I, as a young white dude, can use to describe why I like Barack Obama as a political animal despite his actions I disagree with, without dogwhistling?

(I think I'm overthinking this at least a little, but I thought of it the other day and knew this thread existed and figured it was the place most likely to understand what I mean and also have a good answer.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Charismatic would work in that he has a very genuine charisma, the word gets applied to a lot of people but I think if there's any politician in recent years that merits it, it'd probably be Obama.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

"Dignified" comes to mind.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://mobile.twitter.com/andreamas05/status/821024250190557186

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

there wolf posted:

Have you every heard of Bayard Rustin?

I just checked Bayard Rustin's wiki page. A very good read. Reagan even issued a statement praising him. Posthumously but still. For a black, gay, communist that's pretty unexpected.

quote:

On November 20, 2013, Naegle accepted the Medal of Freedom from President Barack Obama in honor of Rustin's work of the 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom.[3] He and Sally Ride's partner, Tam O'Shaughnessy, were the first LGBT partners to accept the award for their late partners.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 16, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Rob Schneider had a weird change back in 2013 when he suddenly decided to switch to being Republican. He then started saying that he couldn't get acting jobs because of ~his politics~ so I feel like the guy likes to play the victim card. He's part-Filipino, which would make me think he'd be a little bit in tune with race relations. Guess not. I still can't believe he's Elle King's paternal father.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://mobile.twitter.com/arthur_affect/status/821103252062302210

E; I like how Rob Schneider talks about MLK like he was there and not John Lewis.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Rob Schneider has also gotten in on the Anti-Vax and "The Jews control everything" narrative if I remember right on top of all this, so who knows what exactly went wrong with him specifically.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

This is obviously a man to trust on race relations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If anyone didn't catch it, Democracy Now devoted the entire show today to MLK's 1964 City Temple speech in London. It's a good speech.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

bobjr posted:

Rob Schneider has also gotten in on the Anti-Vax and "The Jews control everything" narrative if I remember right on top of all this, so who knows what exactly went wrong with him specifically.

Car crash brain damage? Sure seems like it did a number on Kanye and Tila Tequila.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Darth Walrus posted:

Car crash brain damage? Sure seems like it did a number on Kanye and Tila Tequila.

And Gary Busey!

Oh, and I just checked, and to no one's surprise, he's also a Trump supporter. I swear... something about Trump attracts the mentally unwell or something...

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I remember hearing that he was on the outs because he's super conservative.

That's the way he tells it. In actuality, he's on the outs because the peak of his career was the Making Copies guy on SNL 25 years ago.

The same thing happened to Jon Lovitz, but he gets a lifetime pass even if he's caught making Zyklon B in his basement for what he did to Andy Dick.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Of course it's good, Dr. King was probably the greatest orator and speechwriter of the last 200 years. I have never heard or read any speech or treatise by him that was not amazingly eloquent and insightful.

Domestic Amuse posted:

Be careful. An idiot who isn't above doxxing forums members isn't above swatting them, either.

So you're saying that much like the people that this thread is for and about, I may now have cause to fear being unjustly assaulted or shot by our over-militarized police despite being wholly innocent of any crimes or wrongdoing? You don't say...

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

HotCanadianChick posted:

Of course it's good, Dr. King was probably the greatest orator and speechwriter of the last 200 years. I have never heard or read any speech or treatise by him that was not amazingly eloquent and insightful.
Embarrassingly enough I think it's the first time I've ever listened to a whole speech by Dr. King from beginning to end. I was pretty amazed by not only what a powerful speaker he was, but by how that speech could have been given yesterday and would still have been relevant.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

She's the best.

Majorian posted:

That makes me happy. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm going to. God knows it's a story that needs to be told, now of all times.

It's good, and it was the most packed screening I've seen in a while around here.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

That's the way he tells it. In actuality, he's on the outs because the peak of his career was the Making Copies guy on SNL 25 years ago.

The same thing happened to Jon Lovitz, but he gets a lifetime pass even if he's caught making Zyklon B in his basement for what he did to Andy Dick.

I can at least think of a couple Jon Lovitz things I enjoyed. All Schneider's got is Adam Sander's coattails and some weak seasons of SNL.

Which happen to coincide with the entire run of In Living Color, so I guess we know what was making that comedy vacuum.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It's good, and it was the most packed screening I've seen in a while around here.

The only negative thing I have to say about Hidden Figures is that 350 high schoolers came to see it at the theater I work at while we were heavily understaffed 15 minutes before we were scheduled to open, but that's only because high schoolers are terrible. Movie is cool.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

7c Nickel posted:

This is obviously a man to trust on race relations.

?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 17, 2017

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

You might not want to hotlink. Use imgur to host your images. Also, watch We Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry for the full racist caricature.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 17, 2017

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Using the Forum's less-than-great search function, I didn't see this previously mentioned in the thread, but Canada is booting an old, dead white guy off the $10 and putting a woman of colour on there instead, Viola Desmond.

That said, don't go thinking Canada is some magical land devoid of racism; far from it.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Using the Forum's less-than-great search function, I didn't see this previously mentioned in the thread, but Canada is booting an old, dead white guy off the $10 and putting a woman of colour on there instead, Viola Desmond.

That said, don't go thinking Canada is some magical land devoid of racism; far from it.

I read about that in another thread. Apparently Canada is so super racist that they went full circle and came back around to the point where people are mostly oblivious of minorities or their issues. The average Canadian seems tolerant in comparison because they have so little personal experience with minorities that they aren't read up on the stereotypes yet.

This often leads to the "can't we all just get along" mentality when confronted with problems minorities have.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 17, 2017

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Paul LePage: John Lewis should thank Republican presidents for ending slavery, fighting Jim Crow

quote:

"How about John Lewis last week?" LePage said on WVOM Maine radio's George Hale and Ric Tyler Show. "Criticizing the president. You know, I will just say this. John Lewis ought to look at history. It was Abraham Lincoln that freed the slaves. It was Rutherford B. Hayes and Ulysses S. Grant that fought against Jim Crow laws. A simple 'thank you' would suffice."

:tif:

I'm struggling to make a "beyond the pale" joke.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Given that guy's history, nobody should really be surprised.

Just check out his parody twitter account. https://twitter.com/govcrazypants?lang=en

EDIT: His official twitter isn't much better.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

I just did this face IRL: :stare:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Oh, but he has an adopted black son, so he can't be racist.:downs:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Majorian posted:

Oh, but he has an adopted black son, so he can't be racist.:downs:

God that poor child. There is nothing that loving irks me more than someone who pulls the "Oh but x relative is black so I can't be racist." Nah I'm pretty sure they're double horrified that someone who is related to them pulls that kinda garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Here's a handy article about Paul LePage if you had any doubts about how terrible he is.

http://www.pajiba.com/politics/17-reasons-paul-lepage-is-the-worst-governor-in-america.php

• Locked thread