Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Samuel Clemens posted:

I can't believe it's legal for a company to flat-out not offer any paid sick leave.

Yeah, it's weird, but what can ya do. v:v:v Good news is, I never really get sick anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm gonna watch Storks this week just try n stop me

Edit: look at this chill song featuring medieval furries https://youtu.be/2CYaZFydbA4

Unmature
May 9, 2008

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Guess what's made its way back onto youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhsOiyvfIWs

Thought this was gonna be The Sweatbox

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

I can't believe it's legal for a company to flat-out not offer any paid sick leave.

Man, I've literally never worked anywhere that offers paid sick leave. The idea is that you're thankful they don't fire you for taking time off instead.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The important thing is that I have what can be called a living wage, as well as insurance. I'm not complaining.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hell yeah keep love seein Storks getting love here, it was good

I also had NO idea Phil Lord and Chris Miller were involved with Storks even as producers, but you can totally see their influence in the movie

Mierenneuker posted:

One Perfect Shot posted about this compilation which I've dubbed "Hey Disney, keep those wide shots coming".

https://vimeo.com/199552390

As someone who actually thinks The Lion King is sort of overrated (it's good but it wouldn't be like top 5 material or anything) that shot of the wildebeests coming over the side of the cliff is loving incredible.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
On episode 9 of Mob Psycho 100 and if it were any longer than it is I would've dropped it by now. I just don't think this show is very good. And any time something cool or a character that I like is introduced they disappear.

And in this episode I've seen a scary evil boss say "kthx" and a guy call someone "noob." Did some fansubs slip into Crunchyroll by accident?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
For all I give Pocahontas poo poo, it has some great individual shots.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Unmature posted:

On episode 9 of Mob Psycho 100 and if it were any longer than it is I would've dropped it by now. I just don't think this show is very good. And any time something cool or a character that I like is introduced they disappear.

And in this episode I've seen a scary evil boss say "kthx" and a guy call someone "noob." Did some fansubs slip into Crunchyroll by accident?

No, the "scary evil boss" is just kind of a petty, childish person. That's the point.

e: IIRC the Japanese they're using is 2ch slang to begin with, so "kthx" and "noob" is as close to the spirit of what they're saying as you're gonna get

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I havn't seen mob psyco yet but not it and One Punch Man started out as an ameturer webcomic before the best loving manga artist went up to the guy and was hey I love your stuff, let me fix it

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Mierenneuker posted:

One Perfect Shot posted about this compilation which I've dubbed "Hey Disney, keep those wide shots coming".

It definitely says something that every time a new shot appeared and I knew exactly which movie it was from and what was about to happen.

It means I watch too much Disney :v:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Mierenneuker posted:

What I get from this is that The Hunchback of Notre Dame has some of the most utterly beautiful shots I've ever seen, holy poo poo. It's been so long since I've seen it, and when I did see it, I wasn't a film fan and couldn't really apprehend how impressive the filmatic elements were.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
also, disney really fuckin loves boats

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Unmature posted:

Fair enough if you don't like it, but I get the feeling you might be approaching this show from the wrong angle. It's not really about cool characters or scary evil bosses so much as a story about a shy kid with an unusual talent going through middle school. It just happens to feature the occasional doofus who is eager to sell themself as cool and important.

I think it's telling that an early antagonist, who later goes on to strangle a kid that's maybe five inches shorter than him, refers to himself as the "main character."

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 17, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Spatula City posted:

What I get from this is that The Hunchback of Notre Dame has some of the most utterly beautiful shots I've ever seen, holy poo poo. It's been so long since I've seen it, and when I did see it, I wasn't a film fan and couldn't really apprehend how impressive the filmatic elements were.

Artistically, I think Hunchback is their top film.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Spatula City posted:

I wonder how the VHS releases have colored peoples thoughts of the Disney animated films. They look entirely different on blu-ray.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Aces High posted:

It definitely says something that every time a new shot appeared and I knew exactly which movie it was from and what was about to happen.

It means I watch too much Disney :v:

Wrong, watch more Disney, more more more!!

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

Fair enough if you don't like it, but I get the feeling you might be approaching this show from the wrong angle. It's not really about cool characters or scary evil bosses so much as a story about a shy kid with an unusual talent going through middle school. It just happens to feature the occasional doofus who is eager to sell themself as cool and important.

I think it's telling that an early antagonist, who later goes on to strangle a kid that's maybe five inches shorter than him, refers to himself as the "main character."

Nah, I'm approaching it fine. "Cool" means something I like, not that they have a skateboard and a sick 'tude. Every time the show introduces something I like it abandons it to focus on a terrible character like Mob's brother. And the show is very much not about what you said. The first couple episodes were and then it was about boring nonsense. It's a real letdown to go directly from YOI to this.

Mierenneuker posted:

I love that you can identify most any Disney movie by the backgrounds.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Each Disney movie has its own aesthetic, something I think is woefully unappreciated by the people who claim they are aping "Disney style".

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Unmature posted:

Nah, I'm approaching it fine. "Cool" means something I like, not that they have a skateboard and a sick 'tude. Every time the show introduces something I like it abandons it to focus on a terrible character like Mob's brother. And the show is very much not about what you said. The first couple episodes were and then it was about boring nonsense. It's a real letdown to go directly from YOI to this.

What is it you didn't like about Mob's brother? I personally found him to be an understandable and compelling character, even when he was acting reprehensibly.

I don't mean to come across as pestering you for not liking a show that I liked, but I'm genuinely interested in your opinion.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

Each Disney movie has its own aesthetic, something I think is woefully unappreciated by the people who claim they are aping "Disney style".

Correction, every 2D Disney move had their own aesthetic.

All of their recent 3D efforts (Tangled, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Moana) are very similar in style and animation techniques. They each have individual focus (Frozen has it's snow and ice, BH6 is all about lighting, Moana is water and hair) but the underlying groundwork is the same.

Unmature posted:

I will say that the anime does skip a whole bunch of character development stuff so they could pack everything into 12 episodes, so it is a somewhat abridged version of a more fleshed out story. So while the anime is really drat pretty and does cheery pick the best moments, I still prefer the manga.

But if it's not for you then it's not for you, though if you do make it to the end and don't think Reigen's the best then I'm honestly not sure what you are looking for.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i am fur

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Full of sound and furry, signifying nothing

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

get in line

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Trailer for Ronja Robberdaughter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IuQs_Fl-dE
Sadly not featuring the songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C13oL-z4jno

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

friendo55 posted:

I've been looking for a good podcast and/or Instagram account related to Looney Tunes - tributes and discussions on all the classic shorts. I assumed being as popular as it is, it wouldn't be so difficult - but I haven't been able to find anything.

There's tons of film podcasts, and even animation podcasts, but nothing specifically to Looney Tunes.
Can anyone help out?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Wouldn't Tumblr be better than Instagram for that sort of thing?

You may be right - I'll look into that. Thanks!
But my main search was for podcasts, as I think there'd be tons to dive into with each cartoon, and would be great for my commute to work.

Any animation-related podcasts I find are more strictly geared towards Disney and/or children's films and never has a film-geek's approach. It's more "Frozen is so cute!" type of discussions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Correction, every 2D Disney move had their own aesthetic.

All of their recent 3D efforts (Tangled, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Moana) are very similar in style and animation techniques. They each have individual focus (Frozen has it's snow and ice, BH6 is all about lighting, Moana is water and hair) but the underlying groundwork is the same.

Why does Zootopia not count as a recent 3D effort from Disney?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
You could put Hopps and Rapunzel together and with a wardrobe switch in either direction, they could easily come from the same stylistic universe. Hell, put a newsboy on Pascal, a coat on Sven and a T and shorts on Pua. They'd right at home in Zoo. If you ignore the "no domestics" rule, Mochi would blend right in too. And the focus of Zoo was fur, so it fits.
Maximus would be a bounty hunter.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Sorry, was mostly thinking of how human characters look. But yeah Zootopia counts too.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Das Boo posted:

You could put Hopps and Rapunzel together and with a wardrobe switch in either direction, they could easily come from the same stylistic universe. Hell, put a newsboy on Pascal, a coat on Sven and a T and shorts on Pua. They'd right at home in Zoo. If you ignore the "no domestics" rule, Mochi would blend right in too. And the focus of Zoo was fur, so it fits.
Maximus would be a bounty hunter.

God now I want a Zootopia comic series featuring every non-talking animal sidekick from a Disney history, now anthropomorphised as Zootopia residents

Helppp why doesn't this exist yet :(

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

God now I want a Zootopia comic series featuring every non-talking animal sidekick from a Disney history, now anthropomorphised as Zootopia residents

Helppp why doesn't this exist yet :(

Just visit any hentai website. You know the keywords to search for.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Alhazred posted:

Trailer for Ronja Robberdaughter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IuQs_Fl-dE
Sadly not featuring the songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C13oL-z4jno

The new Ni no Kuni looks nice.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

ImpAtom posted:

Because they didn't put any effort into it. :rimshot:

Edit: Oh hey, Geomancing. It's been a while.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Geomancing posted:

The new Ni no Kuni looks nice.

Ni no Kuni 2 legitimately looks fantastic. I mean, it'll likely suck and be bland like the first, but...:shrug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7ZNmEJgXCE

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I really wanted to like Ni no Kuni because it looked gorgeous but it was impossible for me to enjoy playing it.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I played and loved every bit of Ni No Kuni, especially the localization

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

While we're talking anime, I rewatched Colorful and Christ that movie kills me. I feel like I should double feature it with It's a Wonderful Life, but I imagine that would leave me a desiccated husk.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges