Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZyrKx
Dec 10, 2006

Licorice Whip!

devilmouse posted:

Zyr and Rodent - maybe I'm missing it, but what are you both doing about stun immunity?

While cycloning you are immune to stun (and knockback).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

ZyrKx posted:

While cycloning you are immune to stun (and knockback).

Huh, neat! The more you know!

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

ShutteredIn posted:

Could somebody link their EA Jugg build? I'm struggling to find a 2.5 tree.

I too would like to know this, all I've been able to find are EA Zerker builds for 2.2.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Cheap Trick posted:

I too would like to know this, all I've been able to find are EA Zerker builds for 2.2.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Rodent1/characters char EARodent, update flasks as money allows (my suggestion = 1/2 life, 3/4 utility being ruby/rumis/silver/quicksilver into stuff like dying sun/taste of hate/vinktars if your cash allows. At least 1 source of ele (non fire) dmg on gear to proc EE, and rare boots if you are in dire need of life/resists

also I would take RT until you have that 1k accuracy node which is retarded btw, and makes it so you need no acc on gear (or like, 1 roll on ring or helmet)

Hauki
May 11, 2010

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Chieftain it is. I've already made 2 raiders this league(fletch prism tshot and howa) and I don't feel like playing flask piano. Or maybe run a berserker...

I went berserker on my dude if you care, I probably spent <1.5 ex on it as far as actual currency though with most of that going to the amulet and axe, so there's certainly room for improvement.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I just bought a currency stash tab and it's not showing up. :saddowns: Is there something I need to do to activate it?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I just bought a currency stash tab and it's not showing up. :saddowns: Is there something I need to do to activate it?

did you check to the far right? they show up instantly and get numbered like other tabs

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Soothing Vapors posted:

did you check to the far right? they show up instantly and get numbered like other tabs

It wasn't instantly but it did show up.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
There any strong builds that use well rolled rare weapons these days besides people crafting vagan daggers and +3 skill raging spirit staves? every build seems to be unique weapons, which I'm fine with, not having to worry about a 0.1% drop or 50 exalt to jump your damage up.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

There any strong builds that use well rolled rare weapons these days besides people crafting vagan daggers and +3 skill raging spirit staves? every build seems to be unique weapons, which I'm fine with, not having to worry about a 0.1% drop or 50 exalt to jump your damage up.

blade flurry poison assassin is probably still going, and that uses a gg dagger upgrade after bino's

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

please knock Mom! posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Rodent1/characters char EARodent, update flasks as money allows (my suggestion = 1/2 life, 3/4 utility being ruby/rumis/silver/quicksilver into stuff like dying sun/taste of hate/vinktars if your cash allows. At least 1 source of ele (non fire) dmg on gear to proc EE, and rare boots if you are in dire need of life/resists

also I would take RT until you have that 1k accuracy node which is retarded btw, and makes it so you need no acc on gear (or like, 1 roll on ring or helmet)

Thank you! gonna start this tonight. seemed like destiny that a Quill Rain dropped for me last night (not 6-socket sadly)

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

You know, Maine has a really cool underground hip-hop scene...
Jumping into Breach for the first time after taking a break since whatever the league before Essence was. Gonna try Pathfinder EA as my first character. Should I consider Juggernaut instead for a first go?

Also, could I get a guild invite if spots are there. Char name CountTheSheep

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Hauki posted:

I went berserker on my dude if you care, I probably spent <1.5 ex on it as far as actual currency though with most of that going to the amulet and axe, so there's certainly room for improvement.

How did it feel sans the carcass jack? Or if I were to roll the cyclone in a 5 link? I already have the amulet so I'd only need to buy the axe and I don't think i want to dump currency on a 6link unique chest that is going to be really expensive.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

RosaParksOfDip posted:

How did it feel sans the carcass jack? Or if I were to roll the cyclone in a 5 link? I already have the amulet so I'd only need to buy the axe and I don't think i want to dump currency on a 6link unique chest that is going to be really expensive.

you dont need links in the fire axe, you just need sockets, it works like whispering ice

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

please knock Mom! posted:

you dont need links in the fire axe, you just need sockets, it works like whispering ice

I know. I meant 6link in the chest for cyclone.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

RosaParksOfDip posted:

I ran with a 5L for a while, you can just as easily run fortify on your leap slam links or whatever. I had the carcass jack 6Led and in those colors already, honestly I probably would've run Belly or something if i were starting from scratch.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

funmanguy posted:

Interesting. Im curious to see how it ends up.

I'm probably going to do it next season.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

RosaParksOfDip posted:

lol serves me right for being up this late

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Oh my god, I just started this game because my friends think we've played too many hours of D3 (but wanted something co-op)...This sphere grid is ridiculous. We have no idea what we're doing and loving it.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Hauki posted:

I ran with a 5L for a while, you can just as easily run fortify on your leap slam links or whatever. I had the carcass jack 6Led and in those colors already, honestly I probably would've run Belly or something if i were starting from scratch.

Oh cool. Might be more budget for me to just try and find a 6link chest with 90 or so health then. I think belly is roughly equivalent to a 110/110 hp chest, obviously depending on modifiers.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I got to say Vaal Cyclone inside a big breach is a fun time and probably the first time in awhile I've been so overleveled while speedrunning the story.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Chalk is Cheap posted:

Also, could I get a guild invite if spots are there. Char name CountTheSheep

Sent

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ChiTownEddie posted:

Oh my god, I just started this game because my friends think we've played too many hours of D3 (but wanted something co-op)...This sphere grid is ridiculous. We have no idea what we're doing and loving it.

get in the guild asap to get levelling gear

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

quote:

Content Update 2.5.2 is currently scheduled for release later this week! The primary goal of this patch is to introduce the additional Performance Improvements we announced last week. It also includes a small number of bug fixes and new 3D item art! While they are still subject to change closer to the release of the update, we're making the patch notes available for you to peruse in the meantime.

Parallelised the rendering of the DirectX 11 client. This allows multi-threading for scene rendering, improving performance. This is only enabled if your graphics card and driver supports Constant Buffer Offsets.
These gains only improve performance if you were previously bottlenecked by the speed of your CPU (rather than graphics card).
Added 3D art for Abberath's Hooves.
Fixed an issue with audio for ground tar that could prevent other audio from playing.
Improved the popups for skills that give spell damage over time.
Fixed a bug where the bodyguard from the Sextant mod "Unique Bosses are accompanied by Bodyguards" used a Rallying Cry skill that incorrectly tripled a boss' damage.
Fixed a bug where items with built-in triggered skills could have that skill detached from the item with support gems such as Spell Totem and be cast continuously without the trigger condition.
Fixed a bug where Flame Bearers and Void Bearers would sometimes not stop casting their flamebreath.
Fixed a bug where the "Monsters cannot be slowed below base speed" map mod could cause Strongbox trap mods to go off immediately, rather than after a delay.
Fixed two instance crashes.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1820375

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jan 17, 2017

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i was brutally purged please shoot me an invite on AwesomeIsOnFire

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

ChiTownEddie posted:

Enjoy your time in PoE as it is the far superior game :smug: but co-op is not something it does well at all. Diablo 3 is far better at co-op play then this game is in its current state.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Will this fix the half second delay I get popping a screen full of mobs on my ele BF dude with dying sun going? Or the lovely performance I get walking around with my abberath's hooves build?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Don't even get me started on party play with an old computer. :smith:

To give PoE due credit though, the party gameplay still is fun and fluid, despite its inconveniences, and the lack of motivation for groups larger than 2.

E:

Holyshoot posted:

Will this fix the half second delay I get popping a screen full of mobs on my ele BF dude with dying sun going? Or the lovely performance I get walking around with my abberath's hooves build?
The former is a server lag to an extent, so unlikely. The latter sounds like a client issue, so that might be less of a problem if the patch works, you play on DX11, and you were CPU bottlenecked before.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 17, 2017

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

khy posted:

So I picked up the game the other day and sat down to play it tonight. I've heard it compared a LOT (And I mean constantly) to Diablo 2, which I loved tremendously because the Necromancer was awesome, so I'm going to be comparing it to Diablo 2 in this post.

First, the skill gem system is kinda stupid. I can see what they were going for with giving skills the ability to level up, but the problem here is twofold. The first problem is it means you can outlevel skills to the point where you can no longer use them which is retarded. The second is that it doesn't give a player a clear idea of what skills will eventually be available to them without resorting to 3rd party info (IE : Out-of-game websites).

In contrast, the Diablo 2 skill trees were visible from the get-go and players could see what skills were unlocked by what, when, what they did, etc. You could see what skills would synergize with others, and so on. That felt a lot more intuitive and user friendly.

Second, what exactly is the benefit of having one passive skill tree for all classes? It honestly feels a bit lazy, that they couldn't create individual stuff for individual classes like 90% of other games out there. I get that the skills themselves are unique and it's only the passives that are in the tree, but it still seems a little odd that when you open up the skill tree for, say, the Marauder that all the +Skeleton and +zombie skills for the witch are not only there but can be selected. And AFAIK the Marauder can't ever get those gems so what's the point of having those nodes there at all?

It also seems extremely weirdly laid out. I was looking into skills for my witch to determine what to get and where to go, and trying to find any skills in that horrendous mess is a nightmare. I do understand that eventually experienced players will learn the tree better and know where to go for what, but for a new player it's so overwhelming (even just focusing on 1 stat path) that it gets a little frustrating. As a witch, why do I have to go in two completely opposite directions to get skeleton/zombie buffs? Just because grouping them up (Which would make oh so much more sense) would result in me not spending as many points?

I don't mind randomized zones personally, but I DEFINITELY do mind the fact that the zones changed multiple times in a single game. If I log out and back in, sure, change all you want I don't care, but If I go to town to sell poo poo then go back to the zone why does it suddenly need a new layout??

The lack of any gold threw me at first, since I never had any trouble getting enough identification scrolls and such. I do wonder how the economy works later on? (Not a critique just musing out loud)

Flasks are an interesting change from the D2 style potions, and since I always hated micromanaging those drat belts I rather like the system.

The game does seem to be 3D and not 2D sprites (Or am I wrong?) but it also seems to have static animations for death and the like, which is not bad per se but after D3's physics system feels kind of lame and dated. I guess it's a style choice so I just wrote that off as personal preference.

I will grant that I've only really played through the first act so the game probably improves quite a lot, but by this same point in D2 I was hooked and loving it and looking forward to all the new stuff yet PoE doesn't dangle new things in front of me like D2 did to keep my interest. It feels more like a slog than D2 did (Though that might be simple rose-tinted hindsight talking there) and while it improves on a lot of D2 stuff it also feels like a few steps back at the same time.

Just my impressions so far.

You can't "see how the skill gems work" without even knowing that gems will never outlevel you. The skill tree being accessible by only certain classes is like saying only sorceresses should be able to use teleport in d2. Completely moot point. More variety and diversity in builds is more interesting, flat out

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Don't even get me started on party play with an old computer. :smith:

To give PoE due credit though, the party gameplay still is fun and fluid, despite its inconveniences, and the lack of motivation for groups larger than 2.

E:
The former is a server lag to an extent, so unlikely. The latter sounds like a client issue, so that might be less of a problem if the patch works, you play on DX11, and you were CPU bottlenecked before.

I hope they give a bit more incentive to do party play because grouping just feels like way more effort then diablo. And a lot of builds can suffer from party play or just be a hindrance. I'd like to try running an aura/curser bot sometime but don't like that the other person/people would rely on me. And if they aren't around I'd have to pug to level and people can be idiots in maps(running off every direction except the one you're going).

If united dream isn't terrible to get in the next content patch I might try that SRS auramancer build I saw. Buffs the poo poo out of your party and you can solo just fine as well.

As for the performance part, I am not sure I'd have to check but yes I use dx11 on a i7 2600k oc'd to 4.2ghz with a 1070 running 1440 resolution.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
yeah, it's cool that you can use a "build" like Spectral Throw HoWA and make it work in 6 of the 7 classes

Marauder? Zerker (or Crit Juggernaut if you're rich)
Templar? Crit Inquisitor
Witch? Elementalist
Shadow? Assassin
Ranger? Raider
Duelist? Ok pass
Scion? Crit rear end Slayer (expensive jewels edition)

I mean sure some are easier to gear than others, but the idea is cool imo.

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012
I've been enjoying the scorching ray CWC WI build a ton. It's tanky and does reliable damage. I was doing Uber lab runs yesterday and was able to facetank both Argus and Izaro.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Holyshoot posted:

Enjoy your time in PoE as it is the far superior game :smug: but co-op is not something it does well at all. Diablo 3 is far better at co-op play then this game is in its current state.

I kind of agree with this. Why is that? I always find myself playing solo while my friends are also online playing solo. We have rarely hopped in games with each other this league unless we were leveling or to get certain maps completed on the atlas (or to share the masters dailies). I don't not like playing in parties...it just seems to happen infrequently.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Doing master parties where multiple people have hosed up builds that give you 1 fps is the only way to play the game

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I kind of agree with this. Why is that? I always find myself playing solo while my friends are also online playing solo. We have rarely hopped in games with each other this league unless we were leveling or to get certain maps completed on the atlas (or to share the masters dailies). I don't not like playing in parties...it just seems to happen infrequently.

I feel its because, on top of there not really being any incentive to party play and the performance issues, the game is just designed around one character plowing through hoards really fast. So you throw a few people in a map and its the guy with the fastest build out in front and everyone else playing catch up. I think its also why the most optimal party play is just two people with one being a full on support to make the other's already fast and good build even crazier.

That said, I think its pretty fun to play with like 1 or 2 friends assuming they aren't playing particularly laggy builds.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

I feel its because, on top of there not really being any incentive to party play and the performance issues, the game is just designed around one character plowing through hoards really fast. So you throw a few people in a map and its the guy with the fastest build out in front and everyone else playing catch up. I think its also why the most optimal party play is just two people with one being a full on support to make the other's already fast and good build even crazier.

That said, I think its pretty fun to play with like 1 or 2 friends assuming they aren't playing particularly laggy builds.

Pretty much this. Like lol if you play vaal spark and your good friend plays malhori EQ. It would never work. And why would I want to clear slower when I can clear quicker and I get all the loot as well. Until there's an incentive it's just far worse unless you're doing aura/curse bitch and pure DPS dude duo.

Back in the day however partying was more of a thing iirc. Especially since maps were more expensive as was everything in general. So you'd have everyone contribute 2-3 chaos for a map and then all run it together.

Are strand/gorge parties still a thing? I remember that being super good exp before atlas came out(2.2 & 2.3). Or did they pretty much null it since getting the map you want is easy as gently caress now?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Itd be cool if they made group specific content but idk how you'd balance that at all

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Itd be cool if they made group specific content but idk how you'd balance that at all

I think the games too complex to make incentivized beyond specific setups. Also its safer to make solo play better versus group play. Anyone can play solo, not everyone can find a group or wants to. Diablo fixed it by making exp gains way higher in a group which also allowed you to get further in greater rits. However they had to go back and nerf content when you were solo because at the time it was dumb to play alone. Grouping was far far superior. Now you're missing out on a bit of exp/hr not grouping but not by much and you can get within 10-15 levels of a group grift level solo.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Holyshoot posted:

Are strand/gorge parties still a thing? I remember that being super good exp before atlas came out(2.2 & 2.3). Or did they pretty much null it since getting the map you want is easy as gently caress now?

Most of the time I saw people doing poorjoy's asylum parties for xp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
well parties are exceptionally good at one thing: getting a group from 1 to merciless dried lake

• Locked thread