Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Hey if I want to watch a good, funny person, I'll just look in a mirror (sorry for brag trying some self-esteem exercises)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Loved It Follows. The premise is creepy as hell and for the first time in years watching a movie I got that shiver down my spine feeling the first time the 7 foot tall demon slowly walks into her room behind her friend. Definite recommend for people who like horror.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Perestroika posted:

I kind of dropped the books when furry sex/rape started becoming a recurring theme, so chances are some distance from the source material is probably for the best.

Oh....... :stonk: Hoping it strays from the book quite a bit.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Wow! Gonna second the recommendation for Embrace of the Serpent. Excellent movie.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched the first 2/3rds of Clinical so you don't have to. It's bad

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lemony Snicket is god tier

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

precision posted:

agreed.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Gann Jerrod posted:

By my recollection, the second book ends with one of the main characters getting raped by a fox god

Yes this is in the show too.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I'll say Magicians is a good show and the finale was good enough for me to want to see another season. It's pretty heavy on the sex/nakedness/token hot girls thing so that may keep you watching it. I really, really wished they made magic seem a bit more capable or something. Like, most of the time the magic is some poo poo they barely get to work or it kills everyone. There's no character growth taking place that would result in one of them. Coming magically more capable or whatever.

And god the main protagonist is just insufferable.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Blind Rasputin posted:

And god the main protagonist is just insufferable.

At least its consistent with the books

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Big thanks to everyone who recommended It Follows, most fun horror movie I've seen in a long time.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

precision posted:

I really like it but it stresses me out to watch it, I have to pace myself

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Gann Jerrod posted:

By my recollection, the second book ends with one of the main characters getting raped by a fox god
A+ 5 star would recommend again

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

precision posted:

Tier of being bad?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo the OA is atrocious

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I watched It Follows when it first came out and I loved it. Re watched it for the first time in like two years, and while some of the suspense is lost in knowing the movie, I still thoroughly enjoyed re watching it.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I just watched it but I was unclear as to whether a large body of water would stop the it follows following thing? Like, if it just continues to walk towards the host like they say, then why not get on a plane and leave. As well, it doesn't seem to be very good at opening doors so why not just like armor up a house and have someone slot you the food and supplies (itc tampons I guess?) you need.

Just didn't seem that threatening of a demon thing is all.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Tier of being bad?

It's actually pretty solid. It follows the books (from what I can remember), the acting is pretty good, and Patrick W. Is killing it as Lemony Snicket. Better than the movie that came out years ago and tried to smash all the books together.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh, I didn't know there was a second one.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Oh, I didn't know there was a second one.
Yeah it's got Neil Patrick Harris and Joan Cusack and it's a netflix original, and it kills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tup-5yOcJuM

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 17, 2017

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

I just watched it but I was unclear as to whether a large body of water would stop the it follows following thing? Like, if it just continues to walk towards the host like they say, then why not get on a plane and leave. As well, it doesn't seem to be very good at opening doors so why not just like armor up a house and have someone slot you the food and supplies (itc tampons I guess?) you need.

Yeah, just leave all of your family and everything you know behind, no biggie. Just living it up, never knowing if the person you haven't seen before is actually the demon that finally found its way to you. And you know teenagers, always going around with their huge sums of money to create armored up houses.

Why not just ride in the Airforce One and have your plane refuel midair for the rest of your life? I'm sure the American taxpayers will understand.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

coyo7e posted:

Yeah it's got Neil Patrick Harris and Joan Cusack and it's a netflix original, and it kills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tup-5yOcJuM

Holy poo poo :eyepop:

E: Even the OP owns bones!

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 17, 2017

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Only a goon would think "new armor house and hourly food delivery" is a simpler solution than "have sex."

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Short Penguin posted:

It's actually pretty solid. It follows the books (from what I can remember), the acting is pretty good, and Patrick W. Is killing it as Lemony Snicket. Better than the movie that came out years ago and tried to smash all the books together.

Yeah, the wife and I crushed this show over the weekend and it's incredible. As someone who never read any of the books or saw the movie, I loving loved it and she as an enormous fan of the books (and hating the first movie) also loving loved it. Definitely the strongest Netflix original show I've seen. It being only 8 episodes long instead of the usual 13 goes a long way to avoiding the slow, dragging middle like every other Netflix show suffers from.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
So this just popped up on Netflix and I immediately put it in my queue. I can't believe I'd never heard of it before.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ChickenMedium posted:

So this just popped up on Netflix and I immediately put it in my queue. I can't believe I'd never heard of it before.

This was the better version.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Blind Rasputin posted:

The movie shows that hiding in a room doesn't really work, since the monster will just tear at the walls or doors until it gets you. Unless you're using elementary school logic, then yeah, I guess a bunch of teenagers/young adults in a poverty-stricken city should build an armored facility or all buy tickets into foreign lands, because they can thrive efficiently in that situation and rent cars and gets work visas and

Or IT just gets on the airplane with them, or swims the distance. It doesn't seem exhaustible. What else does it have to do?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

But what if the mogwai started a meal at 11:00pm and it only takes half an hour to eat but it's on a plane crossing the international date line?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
At what point in the morning is it safe to feed the mogwai again? Sunrise? 6AM?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

At what point in the morning is it safe to feed the mogwai again? Sunrise? 6AM?

12:01

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The limitations of the characters in It Follows are, like the monster itself, linked to the themes of the movie and don't necessarily "work" if you're going to dissect them with tactical realism crap.

They're trapped, they can't get out of the place they're at, both literally and figuratively. Hopping on a plane might be a "realistic" thing to do, but it wouldn't make sense in the context of what the film is trying to convey.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nice try, Spike.

Basebf555 posted:

The limitations of the characters in It Follows are, like the monster itself, linked to the themes of the movie and don't necessarily "work" if you're going to dissect them with tactical realism crap.

They're trapped, they can't get out of the place they're at, both literally and figuratively. Hopping on a plane might be a "realistic" thing to do, but it wouldn't make sense in the context of what the film is trying to convey.

Yeah, seriously. Also, to repeat: the characters are poor and are probably under 21, so their resources are limited if you have to consider the realism of a movie that uses dream-logic, Quentin.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
I just watched It Follows and the entire movie is soaked in fantasy-world stuff, so trying to apply any hardcore realism to it is folly.

The year, even the decade the movie takes place in is weirdly impossible to figure out. There are anachronisms all over the place, the seasons seems to switch around, it's vaugely set in Detroit, that's about the hardest thing we have. Even at the end, where did they find a well-maintained pool that's open in the middle of the night with no staff or security? All this stuff is intentional. Maybe the movie leans a bit too hard on it, but on my first watch it wasn't annoying and really added to my sense of disorientation.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
When it was over I thought that the scene at the beginning might have taken place in the present and the rest of the movie in the past but then that one girl had the weird clam e-reader/phone.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LogisticEarth posted:

I just watched It Follows and the entire movie is soaked in fantasy-world stuff, so trying to apply any hardcore realism to it is folly.

The year, even the decade the movie takes place in is weirdly impossible to figure out. There are anachronisms all over the place, the seasons seems to switch around, it's vaugely set in Detroit, that's about the hardest thing we have. Even at the end, where did they find a well-maintained pool that's open in the middle of the night with no staff or security? All this stuff is intentional. Maybe the movie leans a bit too hard on it, but on my first watch it wasn't annoying and really added to my sense of disorientation.

I felt the same way.

I didn't want to be weird for saying it, but we don't really know if there are airplanes in this world. Sounds silly, but the world we're shown isn't ours.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Blind Rasputin posted:

No, water wouldn't stop it.

The demon didn't jump in the water because it was smart enough to grasp the nature of the swimming pool trap immediately. By chucking all the electric devices at the protagonist it was both disarming the trap and harming her. Once knocked in the pool, it was not only fine but also a better swimmer than the protagonist. They were able to harm it with bullets but couldn't kill it because the demon is immortal. As for doors, it proved it's strong enough to basically batter through anything, given enough time and a lack of better options.

The basic conceit of the film is that the demon is slow but it never stops coming for you, so whether you whore yourself out, fly around the world like a playboy, ride the rails like a hobo, take a job on a deep-sea oil rig, or even stow away on a rocket bound for the ISS, it's only a matter of time before the demon catches up with you. You stay on the move until you die. You could keep it up for decades but you'll always be harried and never have a home.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

LogisticEarth posted:

The setting of the director's other film Myth of the American Sleepover is also a vague, nebulous, parent-free world. It's for a different reason there, but it works extremely well in both.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

ChickenMedium posted:

The Wraith is awesome, and it seems not a lot of people are familiar with it. Movie is worth watching for Clint Howard's character alone.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Franchescanado posted:

I felt the same way.

I didn't want to be weird for saying it, but we don't really know if there are airplanes in this world. Sounds silly, but the world we're shown isn't ours.

Weren't the prostitutes at the end near an airport?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

The Wraith is awesome, and it seems not a lot of people are familiar with it. Movie is worth watching for Clint Howard's character alone.

The Wraith is amazing and everyone should watch it. You will be enraptured.