Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ethanol posted:

That sounds horrible

It's not really minecraft like. It's more rescuing a world by making a cool city because no one remembers how to build things! I didn't realise how much fun it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ethanol posted:

That sounds horrible

Except it is very good.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It's Minecraft with a story, missions and goals so anyone over 12 will actually find the motivation to play it. Good and cool game that should be ported to Switch.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, Stardew Valley hopefully gets ported. I tried playing it on PC but using a gamepad made the inventory garbage while using a mouse hurt my wrist. Would be perfect on the new Nintendo if done right.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't like minecraft at all but DQ builders is rad

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Lodin posted:

Also, Stardew Valley hopefully gets ported. I tried playing it on PC but using a gamepad made the inventory garbage while using a mouse hurt my wrist. Would be perfect on the new Nintendo if done right.

Stardew Valley is already confirmed

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

bring stardew valley to 3ds

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

TFRazorsaw posted:

hold up really. This is huge.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Kashuno posted:

hold up really. This is huge.

Yeah. They cancelled the Wii U version and decided to put it out on Switch instead.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I really hope Yooka-Laylee manages to launch simultaneously with the other versions on Switch.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

TFRazorsaw posted:

Holy heck yes!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

greatn posted:

I really hope Yooka-Laylee manages to launch simultaneously with the other versions on Switch.

I'll probably wait for it on Switch anyway.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah I just want it in April. Switch will be the only device I own that can play it regardless.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ethanol posted:

Is dqbuilders like super Mario maker where I have no interest in making levels rather than playing them

It's Minecraft: The Videogame

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I hate minecraft but Dragon Quest Builders was incredibly fun. Having a list of actual objectives helps it along a ton.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

VideoGames posted:

It's not really minecraft like. It's more rescuing a world by making a cool city because no one remembers how to build things! I didn't realise how much fun it would be.

Nah, it's definitely Minecraft, but made by people who understand game design.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Jimmy Hats posted:

I hate minecraft but Dragon Quest Builders was incredibly fun. Having a list of actual objectives helps it along a ton.

Exactly.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I recently got Xenoblade Chronicles for Wii U (digital, only 19 euros!) and it's ridiculous how much of my free time it's eating.

Regardless of a console bombing or not I like developers that make the type of games they want to make, and they become "timeless" experiences you can enjoy right now or down the road. In a way it's cool to know that they're just there. This is why I'll buy a Switch sometime in the future even though I'm fairly confident (and at the same time hoping the opposite happens) this new thing will bomb hard for Nintendo.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I'm not familiar with the game, but a port of Constructor will be a launch title. Probably on the eShop.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

greatn posted:

I don't think it's going to because the game is supposed to come out around the Switch release but that didn't include the Switch version.

Also, this console is getting Metal Slug 3 which almost makes me not hate it. Give me a new Monster Hunter Capcom and be done with it, I'll finally stop hating this stupid console.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't think it's going to because the game is supposed to come out around the Switch release but that didn't include the Switch version.

Also, this console is getting Metal Slug 3 which almost makes me not hate it. Give me a new Monster Hunter Capcom and be done with it, I'll finally stop hating this stupid console.

I think the release date is mid April so a full month and a half later.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I own the Metal Slug Anthology on Wii. They can do better.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i dont understand how anybody isn't extremely bored of metal slug being on every console

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

TVs Ian posted:

I'm not familiar with the game, but a port of Constructor will be a launch title. Probably on the eShop.

That was one of my favorite computer games from the late 90s. It's neat, but I hope they update some things so it doesn't feel quite so ancient.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

free stux

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i remember being excited about metal slug in like 1999 when my friend figured out MAME and we toyed with it for an evening. no pressing need to revisit it

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Monster Hunter 5 on the Switch will be great in late 2018 or mid 2019, and I will main Switch Axe for the sheer pun value.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

ethanol posted:

i dont understand how anybody isn't extremely bored of metal slug being on every console

Turn on infinite lives, drink whenever you die, play through a Metal Slug game. I've had anthology on my counter for years for this purpose, and once the Wii U is unplugged I will need a new way to do this.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Nephzinho posted:

Turn on infinite lives, drink whenever you die, play through a Metal Slug game. I've had anthology on my counter for years for this purpose, and once the Wii U is unplugged I will need a new way to do this.

In defense of Metal Slug, this is like a perfect use case for individual joycons. Switch will be great for releasing Chronicles of Mystara on for like the fifth time.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

TVs Ian posted:

It's a game about running a building company starting with putting together bungalows for hippies, and working your way up.
Then you hire saboteurs and mobsters to take out competing companies, terrorize their tenants and injure their workforce. The sequel was flat out called Mob Rule.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Can you succeed without doing that? I want to be a good boy developer.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

The Pirate Captain posted:

This is exactly what they will do, because they are a company run by idiots. They have the best creative people in the industry, but their business people don't know what they're doing.

I was going to reply to this saying that shareholder demands are probably the issue, but then I read some of Nintendo's shareholder meeting Q&As and lol the shareholder questions sound like they were asked by posters in this thread, so I guess management really is doing a bad job. Although some of the shareholder questions read like this:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/160629qa/index.html posted:

Further, I personally do not use a computer, a cell phone or a smartphone. I wonder how your plans take into consideration the diversity of users, including such people like myself.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/140627qa/02.html posted:

I do not understand video games and I even feel angry because, at Nintendo’s shareholders’ meetings, the shareholders always discuss things relating to video games or such childish topics as “what the future of video games should be,” [...] I hope that Nintendo’s shareholders’ meeting will become an opportunity where the shareholders discuss the company’s business operations from the viewpoints of capital gain and dividends.

So who knows. :shrug:

Regardless, the Switch looks cool and I want one, despite not owning a Nintendo console in over a decade. If I can get monthly portable nostalgia trips back to the SNES/N64 days, all the better.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 17, 2017

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Takoluka posted:

Literally everyone I know, of all ages, can identify Nintendo characters, because they are consistently in the mainstream, as part of fantastic games that toxic environments have pushed into the category of "baby games for babies". People will buy and have bought PS4s for a single game: Bloodborne. I personally know people who bought XB1s for Halo 5. Many of those same people would not buy a Wii U for any of their high-quality exclusives. Bayonetta fans are still clamoring for a PS4 release of the second game. Despite some of the best platformers in gaming history, the freshest new online shooter IP in ages, and one of the most popular party fighters ever, people will not buy Wii U systems. Why? Because Nintendo "marketed to children and alienated the real hardcore gamer."

Looking around the internet, people are livid that Nintendo didn't build a handheld gaming PC that will play all games ever made. Every game Nintendo has made, regardless of positives or negatives, is somehow terrible. Star Fox Zero was somehow simultaneously too much and not enough like Star Fox 64 and used a control scheme that was both new and interesting while also being unintuitive and game-ruining. There's no new F-Zero! No, even if Fast Racing Neo provides everything that would satisfy that need, it doesn't have New Mute City U, so I'm out.

I'm not some gigantic Nintendo fanboy (outside of Splatoon), but the overwhelming negativity about everything Nintendo does is just exhausting. People have been complaining about this company as far back as the early 90s on BBS boards, and I don't understand why. They're not a perfect company, not by a long shot, but they're the last interesting hardware and software developers. They're willing to try new things. They're willing to fail and learn, while still taking big risks at times. So much of what they do has personality and charm, and the Switch just seems so unique and fun, but as far as I can tell, it might as well be as powerful as a Galaxy S2 that will require a $15/mo subscription fee to play one Virtual Boy game for 30 minutes, because while some fanboys will defend a box of garbage if it has a red hat on it, others will foresee Nintendo's impending downfall no matter what and doomsay whatever they make into self-fulfilled prophecies.

Nice meltdown, Takoluka!

Sir, this is a McDonald's drive thru

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

You do not want dumb people, or children plugging in and unplugging a port by hand hundreds of times a year.
Port gets bent, system gotta go out for repair.
Dock is needed.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Junkie Disease posted:

You do not want dumb people, or children plugging in and unplugging a port by hand hundreds of times a year.
Dock is needed.

What makes this different normal charging ports that also need to be constantly used? Somehow the children managed that with the 3ds.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Junkie Disease posted:

Dock is needed.

Yet somehow children are capable of owning/using 3DSes, phones and tablet without destroying them.

Hmmmm.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Yet somehow children are capable of owning/using 3DSes, phones and tablet without destroying them.

Hmmmm.

HA! You clearly aren't around enough children's things.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ethanol posted:

Because Metal Slug is loving perfection and most Metal Slug ports suck more dick than Nintendo does. I own all of the Metal Slug games available on Steam and gently caress DotEmu for such terrible piece of poo poo ports.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

yeah i had a gameboy as a kid and I never once blew myself up with the wall adapter or choked on a battery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Mahoning posted:

HA! You clearly aren't around enough children's things.

I can tell you about the frightening number of cracked scenes I saw as a secondary school teacher, but I don't think that has to do with poor plugging and unplugging habits.

• Locked thread