Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/650005707/wheelo-play-unlimited?ref=newest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

I don't even know where to loving start with this one. I guess the ear-piercing distorted text-to-speech right at the beginning of the video is a good jumping-off point.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
The color e-ink shoe guys (Shiftwear on IG) are unveiling their 1st prototype (despite their campaign claiming shipping in fall 2016).

Also they keep making new preorder campaigns again and again and focus more on getting more orders than developing their product.

So this is what they advertised on their IG page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5XhzmjUVnk

And this is their proto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T23Ng_tbzBY

suddenly all the excited backers say it looks like poo poo and that they are disappointed it doesn't look at all like the render for the campaign :rolleyes:

Personally I'm surprised they even managed to not run away with the money (yet) and that they seem to genuinely believe they can make a viable product for the amount they are asking.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

gschmidl posted:

As someone who hates to drive and is also night-blind, I would LOVE a self-driving car.

And at that point you could redefine what a car is. Why not have really comfy chairs? Why not have a table to support a book or laptop?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Also they keep making new preorder campaigns again and again and focus more on getting more orders than developing their product.

well, it works great for star citizen right?

gschmidl posted:

As someone who hates to drive and is also night-blind, I would LOVE a self-driving car.

As someone who still has perfect sight and loves to drive, I'd prefer my car drove me places.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Awful Kickstarters Vol II: It gives real time experience like driving the car.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

The color e-ink shoe guys (Shiftwear on IG) are unveiling their 1st prototype (despite their campaign claiming shipping in fall 2016).

And this is their proto

suddenly all the excited backers say it looks like poo poo and that they are disappointed it doesn't look at all like the render for the campaign :rolleyes:

Personally I'm surprised they even managed to not run away with the money (yet) and that they seem to genuinely believe they can make a viable product for the amount they are asking.

The overall design would look okay if that's what they had advertised in the first place, but it's not seamless as the Vixole and I'm wondering if it's flexible at all. It looks like they shoved a iPhone into a shoe.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Young Freud posted:

The overall design would look okay if that's what they had advertised in the first place, but it's not seamless as the Vixole and I'm wondering if it's flexible at all. It looks like they shoved a iPhone into a shoe.

Yeah, that video looks really sketchy. They make sure the model didn't move a nanometer and there's a nice, baggy pant leg covering the top of the shoe - which would really conveniently cover things like power/usb cords running to the shoe.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

DoctorTristan posted:

And how exactly is your wifi-enabled-cloud-hosted-neural-network-IoT-smart-device going to fill itself with water first, genius?

From the cloud. Duh.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

treiz01 posted:

Really? There are so many companies pursuing this concept though! I for one see the death of the human controlled car - and maybe the concept of a private vehicle disappearing completely. I invision a world with fleets of driverless cars that can be called up like a taxi.

The issue with that, is that you can't just get 90% or 95% or 99% of the way to doing everything automatic and then actually just kick back and not pay attention to the road anymore. You'd still have to be pretty aware so you can take over when the sensors/programming don't know what to do for a given situation. So you can't just take a nap while you go somewhere, or even just call up a driverless car that's waiting on the other side of the city and rely on it showing up.

Now, if the majority of the cars on the road were these 95%, 99% driverless cars, that'd greatly reduce the likelihood that you as the "driver" need to take over. But it'll be hard to actually get there, the average American's car is 12 years old both because cars last longer/are more reliable than they used to be, and because new cars are simply expensive. Without some sort of massive government program to bring down the costs of those most of the way to driverless cars to below the cost of a normal new car, it could take easily 15-20 years from when they are the only sort of new car you can buy to when they're the majority of cars on the road.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Look, THAT one has to be a joke.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

treiz01 posted:

And at that point you could redefine what a car is. Why not have really comfy chairs? Why not have a table to support a book or laptop?

Absolutely. Mercedes had this prototype car a while ago:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

gschmidl posted:

Absolutely. Mercedes had this prototype car a while ago:

I can't wait for the future where they cram 12 bicycle seats into a driverless Honda Fit that takes four hours a day to update its firmware like a sick mashup of that horrifying airplane seating concept and a wifi kettle.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They can't make driverless trains but driverless cars will be okay

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

tuyop posted:

I can't wait for the future where they cram 12 bicycle seats into a driverless Honda Fit that takes four hours a day to update its firmware like a sick mashup of that horrifying airplane seating concept and a wifi kettle.

You're thinking too small. Why have branded vehicles at all in the brave new future? Why not a fleet of identical autonomous vehicles owned by the state or a massive company that you subscribe to as easily as Netflix?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

unpacked robinhood posted:

They can't make driverless trains but driverless cars will be okay

Er, we've had those since the late 1960s, and there's cities where the entire metro system today is automatic.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

tuyop posted:

Ryancar?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

fishmech posted:

Er, we've had those since the late 1960s, and there's cities where the entire metro system today is automatic.

Except they all still have people in them to override if situations change

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Glumslinger posted:

Except they all still have people in them to override if situations change

No they don't. Most SkyTrain rides in Vancouver's system are done without any sort of driver onboard, with the emergency manual controls locked away under a panel cover. When the automation system breaks down, you have to wait for either an employee to get transported out to where you are, get onboard, and access the controls, or just for the system to come back up.

The 8 mile long AirTrain at JFK Airport in NYC uses similar vehicles, only they never have driving staff onboard, and once again backup manual controls are normally hidden behind a locked cover:

See that open area at the back? That's what you need to unscrew and unlock to get at the emergency manual controls.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Instead of having cool helium3/thorium engines we'll be allowed lovely hybrids that will snitch on you if you use your phone or touch a boobie while not driving.
The future is such a joke.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

And this is their proto

There's another video that looks better, and the person actually moves around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8fCN3t7mXY
But I still suspect it's just an iPod they stuck through a hole in a shoe.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i like cool kicks but drat those look big and heavy and stupid as gently caress

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Eink doesn't emit light, its only reflective.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Why do you need a screen on your shoe?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Collateral Damage posted:

Millennials.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Baby boomers.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Advertising income.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

How else are you going to justify wifi sneakers?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Generation X

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Their explanation of the "changes", and reactions, are pretty priceless:

http://community.shiftwear.com/index.php?/topic/131-a-note-on-the-design-change/

quote:

I’d like to leave you with an analogy: I’m opening a pizza shop that will deliver you the best pepperoni pizza you’ve ever tasted. The cheese is complex, hearty, unique. The pepperonis have a kick! They’re the perfect texture, thickness, and have substance. So before I make my first slice, do I now master the process of making cheese - experimenting with different bacteria cultures, creams and aging to create that perfect cheese I envisioned? Should I become a master of charcuterie - arriving at the perfect ratios of salt, meat, spices, bacteria, and time through countless iterations of trial and error to get those delectable, juicy pepperonis? Unless I also invented the iPhone, I think I’d run out of money somewhere along the way. Instead, I choose to scour the earth and find the best ingredients the world has to offer. Pepperonis from the elusive, subterranean Perroni tribe of southern Italy and cheese from a street vendor/monastery in rural China. We want to deliver the best product we can create - we don’t have the means to make exactly what we envisioned, but we will start off with something amazing and will keep improving until we’ve achieved it. Cheesy analogy over.

:tipshat:

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

CommonShore posted:

I could see a WiFi kettle being nice, but I wouldn't pay more than $5 on top of regular kettle price for it - I could send it an email and be all like "hey kettle heat 500 ml of water at 83 C" and it'd be like "kay" and then a few minutes later it'd be like "ready."

I'd use that. And I'd pay $30 for it.

That would actually be relatively easy. Wifi tech adds weight measurement and a switching device/solenoid/relay/gubbins, give it a water connection straight into the uni. Basically I think a wifi enabled ~2 litre urn would be the way to do it.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

moerketid posted:

http://community.shiftwear.com/index.php?/topic/131-a-note-on-the-design-change/

I would never eat a pizza made with cheese from a Chinese street vendor

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

wait so the shoes are made in italy and the screens in some rural chinese monastery? I don't get it.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I think they put themselves in a difficult situation legally speaking.

It was OK to use a render for their project on indiegogo, abusing the gullibility of the backers (kind of the KS business model) because of the tons of disclaimers on the site saying it's not a store and everything.

But since then they launched two more preorder campaigns on their own store and are using the same renders calling it their "products".

Pretty sure if some customers want to sue them for not delivering the advertised product they will have no way to defend themselves.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

moerketid posted:

On the other hand, I have to give them credit for making a pepperoni analogy that didn't include the word "succulent".

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

McSpergin posted:

That would actually be relatively easy. Wifi tech adds weight measurement and a switching device/solenoid/relay/gubbins, give it a water connection straight into the uni. Basically I think a wifi enabled ~2 litre urn would be the way to do it.

Pretty much what I was thinking, but instead of a straight connection a resevoir which I could refill.

But hey, the deliberately obtuse pyf posters showed me what's what, so now I have dreams only of heating my water by yelling at it, the way they did it back in the depression.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I would never eat a pizza made with cheese from a Chinese street vendor

Wow, rude. Haven't you ever heard the expression "for all the cheese in China?"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Analogy fail. One of the few cuisines you can't slather a bunch of cheese on and its still at least good if not better.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I think they put themselves in a difficult situation legally speaking.

It was OK to use a render for their project on indiegogo, abusing the gullibility of the backers (kind of the KS business model) because of the tons of disclaimers on the site saying it's not a store and everything.

But since then they launched two more preorder campaigns on their own store and are using the same renders calling it their "products".

Pretty sure if some customers want to sue them for not delivering the advertised product they will have no way to defend themselves.

I think they put themselves in a difficult situation by asking for more money after making what may be the most insane comparison known to man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Platystemon posted:

Generation X

The last loving thing anyone made for us was OK Soda, and look how that turned out. :colbert: