Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Discounting resistances, the ideal ring for a meatballer would have WED, life, +%fire and aspd, right?

Because hoooo nellie that sounds expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Discounting resistances, the ideal ring for a meatballer would have WED, life, +%fire and aspd, right?

Because hoooo nellie that sounds expensive.

That's pretty much how all high end gearing goes. There's a breakpoint where poo poo just gets obscenely expensive.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

I only group play with Dried Lake or else with a friend or two. Both situations usually end up as one person steamrolling the content while the other people spam quicksilvers to try and keep up. This can be nice in dried lake if you just want to leech a few levels, but I find it frustrating when pushing T14-15s with a friend. It can feel like you're not contributing if your friend is just flat out more powerful.

My last pubbie group farming session turned into a classic cluster gently caress of ~Player Interaction~. I was Howa in my early seventies, and so I was just steamrolling the zone. It worked out alright because other players would mop up the stuff behind me, and we were making really great time. We even had a necrobot (who kept dying because she was too busying summoning and not spamming flasks to keep up).

So the necrobot asks us if we all want to map. We all say sure, and so we go to her hideout and proceed to run T1 maps (lol) as a group. This is hilarious. The group scatters like cockroaches going to every turn in the map. This results in the group members dying over and over again to trash mobs. They're all in their 60s, and they're apparently not geared well enough for this. The aurabot starts raging that everyone is leaving her to die. I tell everyone to just follow me. I'm the guy with the golden wings throwing the circles of death. I'm not exactly hidden. Some listen, some don't.

Finally, someone opened a breach that killed the aurabot, and she finally broke. She accuses everyone of using her for her valuable T1 maps, and she proceeds to rage kick the entire group. Her parting words were something along the lines of 'It's like you don't even care about me'.

Would group again.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Fishvilla posted:

I only group play with Dried Lake or else with a friend or two. Both situations usually end up as one person steamrolling the content while the other people spam quicksilvers to try and keep up. This can be nice in dried lake if you just want to leech a few levels, but I find it frustrating when pushing T14-15s with a friend. It can feel like you're not contributing if your friend is just flat out more powerful.

My last pubbie group farming session turned into a classic cluster gently caress of ~Player Interaction~. I was Howa in my early seventies, and so I was just steamrolling the zone. It worked out alright because other players would mop up the stuff behind me, and we were making really great time. We even had a necrobot (who kept dying because she was too busying summoning and not spamming flasks to keep up).

So the necrobot asks us if we all want to map. We all say sure, and so we go to her hideout and proceed to run T1 maps (lol) as a group. This is hilarious. The group scatters like cockroaches going to every turn in the map. This results in the group members dying over and over again to trash mobs. They're all in their 60s, and they're apparently not geared well enough for this. The aurabot starts raging that everyone is leaving her to die. I tell everyone to just follow me. I'm the guy with the golden wings throwing the circles of death. I'm not exactly hidden. Some listen, some don't.

Finally, someone opened a breach that killed the aurabot, and she finally broke. She accuses everyone of using her for her valuable T1 maps, and she proceeds to rage kick the entire group. Her parting words were something along the lines of 'It's like you don't even care about me'.

Would group again.

:five: :vince:

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Hauki posted:

I went berserker on my dude if you care, I probably spent <1.5 ex on it as far as actual currency though with most of that going to the amulet and axe, so there's certainly room for improvement.

How many chromes did the carcass jack take? I've been trying to get my Ngamahu/Berserker to 3g/2r his 5L and it hasn't been going exceedingly well. There's also the problem of it being 6s and the offcolor landing on the free socket, of course.

EDIT: My issue with group play is that it just boosts mob HP making it more likely that my glass cannons will find it difficult to kill the mobs before they take a hit, so it's actively counterproductive unless the group includes a fully geared aurabot tripling everyone's DPS, especially past, say, t8 or so.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 17, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

My meatball slayer is running Herald of Ash and blasphemy Enfeeble right now. Anyone have other suggestions? I was thinking switching to Determination + Arctic Armor and making Enfeeble a CWDT trigger alongside Immortal Call (instead of IC + Molten Shell like now).

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I'm deciding if I want to make the push for 24 challenges (never done!) or just stop until the next league. I can see a way to 22, not sure which 2 of the rest will be feasible. Still with the SR-CWC-WI build, I'm snoozing through T9 & T10's with 7.5k ES (11k w/ Vaal Disc up). I'm upgrading the amulet next, it doesn't need any resist so I'm going for 90+ Int and %ES or Spell Damage.

Any other recommendations for Whiceperer? My cwdt setups are a mess, but I gave up getting the right colors and just spilled to another slot.

Holyshoot posted:

Are strand/gorge parties still a thing? I remember that being super good exp before atlas came out(2.2 & 2.3). Or did they pretty much null it since getting the map you want is easy as gently caress now?
My buddy was recommending Gorge rotations for xp to 90, but that might be a league or two stale.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

JawnV6 posted:

I'm deciding if I want to make the push for 24 challenges (never done!) or just stop until the next league. I can see a way to 22, not sure which 2 of the rest will be feasible. Still with the SR-CWC-WI build, I'm snoozing through T9 & T10's with 7.5k ES (11k w/ Vaal Disc up). I'm upgrading the amulet next, it doesn't need any resist so I'm going for 90+ Int and %ES or Spell Damage.

Any other recommendations for Whiceperer? My cwdt setups are a mess, but I gave up getting the right colors and just spilled to another slot.

My buddy was recommending Gorge rotations for xp to 90, but that might be a league or two stale.

Get an Atziri's flask.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

JawnV6 posted:

I'm deciding if I want to make the push for 24 challenges (never done!) or just stop until the next league. I can see a way to 22, not sure which 2 of the rest will be feasible. Still with the SR-CWC-WI build, I'm snoozing through T9 & T10's with 7.5k ES (11k w/ Vaal Disc up).

I hit 24 last night :D You can do it too!

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

If you can settle for less resists, just about any Crystal Belt would be a massive ES upgrade. You could even try crafting an int one with essences.

And 24 challenges should be pretty easy even without buying any. If you're willing to spend some chaos there's even more that you could grab.

From your list the following should be easily doable:
Encounter II
Rare Monsters in Merciless
Unique Monsters
Breachlord's Domain
ID 100 Uniques
Fully Upgrade Hideout
Merciless Act Bosses
Level 90
Achieve Ascension
UNID Rare Maps

That's 9, and then one of the following that are kinda RNG:
Splinters from Monsters (Chayula RNG)
Vaal Bosses(some farming)
Unique Strongbox(Chance every white strongbox)

None of that should take significant grinding or farming.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
With the exception of a *decent* ES roll, those gloves are a bit weak. I might look into getting a set of +spelldamage implicit gloves and dropping your raw ES a tad. Remember, that 16% spelldamage is worth 160int.

EDIT: also, grabbing more resists in offslots like gloves allows you to drop some of the resists you have on the tree in favor of damage nodes, like the damage over time nodes near Ghost Reaver.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 17, 2017

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Kytrarewn posted:

How many chromes did the carcass jack take? I've been trying to get my Ngamahu/Berserker to 3g/2r his 5L and it hasn't been going exceedingly well. There's also the problem of it being 6s and the offcolor landing on the free socket, of course.
Uh, I don't honestly remember, I think I got it in <100? It's gonna be substantially easier to color a 6L than a 5L 1S with vorici though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Are there any useful metrics out there for deciding if I have the DPS chops to do The Shaper besides bricking a Shaper set to find out I don't?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
core or guardians i guess, but its a p mechanics heavy fight and your tank is important too

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah I guess I was hoping for a "if you can kill minot air in 3 minutes you're good" or similar. I've bricked a couple sets before and made it to p3.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Cinara posted:

If you can settle for less resists, just about any Crystal Belt would be a massive ES upgrade. You could even try crafting an int one with essences.
I just got the belt with enough resist to free up the amulet slot. I still need 8 STR from something, and from looking at non-Astramentis 90+ int amulets they're invariably getting there with a +30 all.

Would it be better to get more resists on the amulet?

Cinara posted:

From your list the following should be easily doable:
Encounter II, Rare Monsters in Merciless, Unique Monsters, Breachlord's Domain, ID 100 Uniques, Fully Upgrade Hideout, Merciless Act Bosses, Level 90, Achieve Ascension, UNID Rare Maps

That's 9, and then one of the following that are kinda RNG:
Splinters from Monsters (Chayula RNG)
Vaal Bosses(some farming)
Unique Strongbox(Chance every white strongbox)
I was counting on most of those in the top list, especially uber lab, remaining Masters, ID 20 more uniques & Malachi. Encounter II is depending on catching 2 ghosts in the same monster at once, is there some guaranteed way to spawn that? I've been chugging through Mask pieces to hit the Vaal bosses, which only landed 2 new ones after a half dozen runs.

Kytrarewn posted:

With the exception of a *decent* ES roll, those gloves are a bit weak. I might look into getting a set of +spelldamage implicit gloves and dropping your raw ES a tad. Remember, that 16% spelldamage is worth 160int.

EDIT: also, grabbing more resists in offslots like gloves allows you to drop some of the resists you have on the tree in favor of damage nodes, like the damage over time nodes near Ghost Reaver.
Yeah, my latest gear came from "ES at all costs." It's downright comfortable now, there's a scant few situations where I need to drop the beam and hit Vaal Disc.

But 160int would be better than 16%SD, all else equal? I get confused with modifiers that end up as (1 + .50 + x)

The tree's a bit of a mess, I should've looked for a more current guide. His actually gets more resists off the tree, I'm not sure if it's visible but I still have the +10% allres bandit.

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012

JawnV6 posted:

Atziri's Promise flask and more int/es. Your belt could be upgraded to a crystal belt. You can view my character RubIcyHotOnIt.

You can use a culling strike setup in your offhand if you're not using it to level extra gems.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

I was counting on most of those in the top list, especially uber lab, remaining Masters, ID 20 more uniques & Malachi. Encounter II is depending on catching 2 ghosts in the same monster at once, is there some guaranteed way to spawn that? I've been chugging through Mask pieces to hit the Vaal bosses, which only landed 2 new ones after a half dozen runs.
I did hit all but two (starting from having just the Dried Lake one) Vaal bosses by rushing sacrifices for just a couple hours. For the last two, as I did run out of sacrifices at that point, I bought sealed prophecies for Vaal side areas, and went to the corresponding locations. Took me 3 prophecies, as one of the locations had two potential Vaal bosses.

For double ghost, this.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

JawnV6 posted:

Shore map. Boss spawns two ghosts during the fight that possess him (just don't kill him too quick).

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

Would it be better to get more resists on the amulet?

Encounter II is depending on catching 2 ghosts in the same monster at once, is there some guaranteed way to spawn that?

You might be able to split the resists and get 1 on amulet and 1 on belt. I would guess this is why the person who made the build gets a bunch of resist on the tree though. Int + ES + Resist gear is beyond expensive. Also look into jewels for resists, sometimes you can find a good jewel with resists on it for the same cost as a similar one with no resists.

And the Shore boss spawns 2 or 3 ghosts, the trick is not killing him too fast so that the ghost can come out and haunt him. Super easy way to get the two ghosts in one mob challenge.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Awesome! posted:

i was brutally purged please shoot me an invite on AwesomeIsOnFire

Done

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
So on the topic of Ngahamu's meatballin', I realized I had not done that build yet this league and turned what was going to be a BV Pathfinder into a CI Ngahamu's Pathfinder and holy poo poo, this build is a blast. Got to 72 last night and the moment I could equip my Dying Sun the build turned it up 11. Been using a Tabula while I look for decent 800+ ES chests, so ES is a bit low at 5k or so but it is just plowing through stuff.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Cinara/characters

Going to have to dump a bit on a good belt and ring with WED, helm is an easy upgrade also but resists are fine for now so not in a huge hurry, might try for something with high accuracy.

Vinktar's would be good also, but it's really just there for the shock aura right? I guess Elemental Focus keeps you from getting ignites so it will do the double flask charge ascendancy bonus also, can't think of any other good way to get that.

Gems are a mess right now cause I didn't want to change the colors on stuff I was using on other characters until I was sure I wanted to keep playing the build. Got plenty of currency to blow on stuff this late in the league, just deciding what will work best.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Does Elemental Focus in your axe add up to more damage than Fire Penetration, like in mine?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Does Elemental Focus in your axe add up to more damage than Fire Penetration, like in mine?

According to Path of Building, Ele Focus beats Fire Pen by a ton. Added Fire is closer, but still better than Fire Pen even on bosses, unless they have bonus fire resist in which case Fire Pen becomes better. Losing out on ignite damage likely makes the gap pretty small, so overall it's hard to say what is the best. Pathfinder has an extra 10% fire pen over other ascendancy classes though, so may not be true for you.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

damnfan posted:

Your belt could be upgraded to a crystal belt.
A couple folks mentioned this, but I couldn't make it work on my budget. I'm sure it's because I'm stacking all my resist there because i'm Bad, but this one cost me 5c to free up the amulet for a 40c upgrade and the closest Crystal was priced in multiple ex. I'm playing around with a total currency of ~1.5ex.

If there's a better split like taking a 5 es hit on gloves to pick up resist that makes sense.

damnfan posted:

You can use a culling strike setup in your offhand if you're not using it to level extra gems.
People in chat were down on culling strike in general, and once I've got a boss in the beam and losing fire resist it's the first 10% that takes all the time, the last is just a moment. Does it make that much of a difference?

Cinara posted:

You might be able to split the resists and get 1 on amulet and 1 on belt. I would guess this is why the person who made the build gets a bunch of resist on the tree though. Int + ES + Resist gear is beyond expensive. Also look into jewels for resists, sometimes you can find a good jewel with resists on it for the same cost as a similar one with no resists.
I actually need all 3, something like 38l/31c/8f. Good point on the jewels, I roll/regal them and write off any resistance result as worthless, guess that should carry over to purchasing!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cinara posted:

According to Path of Building, Ele Focus beats Fire Pen by a ton. Added Fire is closer, but still better than Fire Pen even on bosses, unless they have bonus fire resist in which case Fire Pen becomes better. Losing out on ignite damage likely makes the gap pretty small, so overall it's hard to say what is the best. Pathfinder has an extra 10% fire pen over other ascendancy classes though, so may not be true for you.

How did you get Path of Building to actually update the damage on the moltens when you changed gems? I couldn't figure it out.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Tell it the gems are socketed in your weapon. If you import your own character it's the easiest.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cinara posted:

Tell it the gems are socketed in your weapon. If you import your own character it's the easiest.

I did exactly that and it refused to update the tooltip no matter how I fiddled with the skills. :(

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

JawnV6 posted:

But 160int would be better than 16%SD, all else equal? I get confused with modifiers that end up as (1 + .50 + x)

The tree's a bit of a mess, I should've looked for a more current guide. His actually gets more resists off the tree, I'm not sure if it's visible but I still have the +10% allres bandit.

I'm not sure about the math on that front. My WI guy is following this guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1788023

He uses fingerless silk gloves (the +16% spell damage implicit gloves) which happen to include intelligence and resists in their stats, and despite fairly poor ES rolls (t3 flat es and a hybrid roll) he still doesn't lose much ES compared to your sorc gloves. It just struck me as particularly low-hanging fruit.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 18, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I did exactly that and it refused to update the tooltip no matter how I fiddled with the skills. :(

Update: damage seems to be improved, but still not enough to not brick a shaper set from too many pools. :(

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I'm toying around with a stupid vortex conversion idea and I'm wondering what others might think.

Basic idea is to take vortex and convert as much as possible to chaos damage, then drop it in a cluster traps setup and use cospri's will to poison with the chaos damage. That's by using vortex with a pyre ring and then a pair of consuming dark daggers. That ends with 60% chaos damage and 40% fire, so I'll get healthy ignites (where possible) alongside the poison stacks from the assloads of traps I'd be vomiting everywhere. And when I run into poison immune poo poo, I can just use a weapon swap and my emberwake/taming combo to stack ignites instead.

I would probably end up torn between Occultist (moar curses), Trickster (moar dots) or Saboteur (moar traps). What say ye fellow exiles? Haven't planned out a build yet so I don't have a tree to propose, but it'd pretty standard as far as shadow/witch trappers go, just with a focus on damage over time.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I don't think Vortex traps will poison with Cospri's because traps don't apply on-hit effects.

Also, using a skill with the Trap support gives you a gently caress-off long cooldown as compared to just using Ice Trap. If you're going to go the trap route, use Ice Trap: Higher base damage, faster recovery, and you're not losing a link via Trap support.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

I thought of that, but the biggest reason for using vortex is because of the spell damage modifier on damage over time. If I go Ice Trap, I'm better off just doing fire conversion and leaving it there. You may be right though, the opportunity cost to support the skill properly for that idea is probably too high, considering that it would need, trap, cluster trap, and poison supports, taking up 4 sockets already...

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Why bother trapping in the first place? You can self cast Vortex poison or ignite without any issues. It doesn't hit as hard as something like Flameblast so reflect really is not an issue outside of reflect maps. My self cast vortexer was actually able to do reflect maps as Elementalist if I used the 50% reduction ascendancy.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

I'm just thinking of creative ways to stack lots of poison that maybe haven't been tried. I mean, yeah, I could just go the consensus optimal damage route and just self-cast it, but that's been done a bazillion times and even though I'm sure it's effective, I'm just looking for something new and off-the-wall to try that also stands a chance of being particularly potent.

Just a half-baked idea that I was knocking around. These are useful responses, even if it seems like I'm just being obstinate :v:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I had a lot of fun with Vortex Grenades (Sunblast belt, two Cheap Construction jewels for traps that detonate when they hit the ground) in Prophecy, but the cooldown for throwing Trap-supported skills is way too long unless you go Saboteur, and Saboteur is the worst ascendancy ever.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

I also forgot about:

2.4.0 Trap's damage modifier no longer affects damage over time.

Which pretty much just puts the last nail in the coffin of that idea.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
RIP Poison Bladefall Trap/Mine, you were too OP for this world.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Sabotuer is probably the worst designed ascendancy after current Ascendant. Half the loving tree is for crap ele damage bonuses and blind. Blind is great and all but much less so for a trapper who mostly avoids direct combat. Chain reaction is awful because sunblast exists and is much better. The mine nodes are worthless unless you're using tremor rod to take advantage of spamming mines, and tremor rod is terrible, so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I need some advice on this dude on where to go with him.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Cerepol/characters (HowaBoutSomeChaos)

I feel a bit fragile still (I keep failing uberlab)

I realize I should get a 6l chest piece but being dumb I used 900 jewellers and got nothing cause as mentioned I am dumb.

• Locked thread