Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I rarely eat breakfast, but not for religious reasons, but because I'm lazy and like to sleep in. I wish I could cheat myself into thinking that it's actually my offering to God, but my mind knows the truth, the bastard.

Josef bugman posted:

It is very late at night and I am more than likely not going to respond correctly so I am going to go to bed before answering, but I do have a question, more as a general one for the thread.

How on earth do you believe in... well anything? How can people be so sure.

Because it's extremely cool and good. But also correct.
People are very rarely so sure, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Mo Tzu posted:

okay there are a few things going on here and i'm going to try to dissect them piece by piece

first, you seem to think the value of martyrdom is in leaving an example behind. it's not. the value of martyrdom is living your life according to your principles, seeing them through to the end even when faced with the threat of violence. whether it's refusing to stomp on the fumie, refusing to convert to christianity, refusing to accept white supremacy, refusing to ignore the plight of the poor, etc. the value of martyrdom is individualistic.

second, you seem to believe that martyrdom being held up as an ideal means that every person should be martyred. this is not the case. as i said earlier, confession exists because of apostasy. what i'm referring to is that in the early days of christianity, when christians were being persecuted, there were those who claimed to not be christian and so were spared. in order to reconcile them with the rest of the church, it was necessary to create some kind of ritual that would bring them back into the community. this sacrament took several hundred years to evolve into something resembling confessions today, but the groundwork was laid there. we can't all act as altruistically as we think we should. we aren't all called to answer for our beliefs and ideals regardless of the consequences. for those of us who are and fail, that does not mark us as lesser people but instead as people.

third, you seem to think martyrdom is the equivalent of some sort of suicide. that it's something i decide to do. it's not. whether it's a daimyo presenting fumie to captured kirishitans, a soldier raping and murdering nuns for their work for the poor, or mlk being shot at a hotel, it wasn't something they asked for, it was the result of actions outside of their control. ignacio ellacuria didn't ask to be murdered with his jesuit brothers and their maid and her daughter. the soldiers did that. all ignacio ellacuria did was lead a school, write theology and history, and talk about the poor and the need to care for them. oscar romero may have questioned the military government and the united states' involvement in various wars in el salvador, but he didn't ask them to shoot him.

and not for nothing but have you ever seen a man for all seasons? it's about sir thomas moore and his execution by king henry the viii for refusing to go along with henry viii as head of the church. thomas moore is a saint in both the catholic church AND the anglican church, so sometimes the other side recognizes "oh poo poo we hosed up"

is it bad that i'm boggled re: someone who professes to be a buddhist yet promotes such strident ideals of individualism and violence. like i get it if it's in terms of an undergrad-aged person being mad on the internet but you seem to have gone far beyond that, especially when it comes to overlaying your assumptions upon "martyrs" who you never knew, and your judge-and-jury proclamations about "fascists"

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is it bad that i'm boggled re: someone who professes to be a buddhist yet promotes such strident ideals of individualism and violence. like i get it if it's in terms of an undergrad-aged person being mad on the internet but you seem to have gone far beyond that, especially when it comes to overlaying your assumptions upon "martyrs" who you never knew, and your judge-and-jury proclamations about "fascists"

what a westerner having western ideas despite a proclaimed faith in buddhism

also the idea of buddhism as a non-violent religion is a bit ridiculous. buddhism is like all religions; it has supported violence and has opposed it, depending on who's talking at the moment.

also also please expand on what assumptions i'm making about martyrs, and also why is fascists in scare quotes when it was literally in reference to you know neo-nazis

i think we can cut out the scare quotes for neo-nazis

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Josef bugman posted:

How on earth do you believe in... well anything? How can people be so sure.

I'm not sure. I believe because I choose to.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Bel_Canto posted:

could i ask that you all keep me and my colleagues in your prayers? we're still reeling a bit because a teach-in that we put on for MLK Day yesterday (about how classical antiquity has been and continues to be deployed in support of racist and white supremacist agendas) was invaded by actual no-poo poo fascists from Identity Evropa. nobody was hurt and their video camera was confiscated, so probably nobody's going to be doxxed, but we're all still rather terrified, particularly those of us in racial and sexual minorities

Be safe.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Mo Tzu posted:

what a westerner having western ideas despite a proclaimed faith in buddhism

also the idea of buddhism as a non-violent religion is a bit ridiculous. buddhism is like all religions; it has supported violence and has opposed it, depending on who's talking at the moment.

also also please expand on what assumptions i'm making about martyrs, and also why is fascists in scare quotes when it was literally in reference to you know neo-nazis

i think we can cut out the scare quotes for neo-nazis

right i mean you can be flippant all you want but any casual perusal of your post history itt shows a really disgusting advocacy over the past couple of months toward the promotion of physical (and other) violence toward any and all people you, personally, label fascists, an advocacy that has no place within either mainstream christianity or mainstream buddhism, yet for whatever reason here you are promoting it. the fact that someone itt posted recently about actual literal fascists invading their event doesn't excuse your behavior, and i'm disappointed that you are trying to attack my comments and justify your bloodthirst based on an incident that you yourself were not in any way involved in

also i'm sure we'd all love an update on your plan to leave america, because i'm sure that was totally sincere and not a whiny crybaby response to a presidential election, the same whiny crybaby response that americans make every 4 years and then suddenly a couple months later they claim they have no knowledge of ever making

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lutha Mahtin posted:

right i mean you can be flippant all you want but any casual perusal of your post history itt shows a really disgusting advocacy over the past couple of months toward the promotion of physical (and other) violence toward any and all people you, personally, label fascists, an advocacy that has no place within either mainstream christianity or mainstream buddhism, yet for whatever reason here you are promoting it. the fact that someone itt posted recently about actual literal fascists invading their event doesn't excuse your behavior, and i'm disappointed that you are trying to attack my comments and justify your bloodthirst based on an incident that you yourself were not in any way involved in

also i'm sure we'd all love an update on your plan to leave america, because i'm sure that was totally sincere and not a whiny crybaby response to a presidential election, the same whiny crybaby response that americans make every 4 years and then suddenly a couple months later they claim they have no knowledge of ever making

i was actually referencing my earlier "the only good fascist is a dead fascist" antifa post in the thread, which i assumed you were referring to. which i made kinda out of fear about encroaching fascism in american politics and the rise of hate crimes post trump's election. in case it isn't clear, i don't actually advocate violence, mostly because i don't believe violence is capable of effecting necessary change to society

and i'm still working on my japanese, at the pace i'm going it'll take me about a year to get to a point where i can pass jlpt level 2, and i'd need level one to get into a phd progra in japan. i've looked into schools over there, but i don't have the language skills yet to really understand a lot of the requirements. if all else fails, if i manage to get jlpt 2 by the end of this year i'll look into canadian and english phd programs for buddhist studies. i still need to get reading proficiency in french or german and i'm not entirely sure how to go about doing that since i've studying japanese like twenty hours a week, and i'm trying my damnedest to get a part time job for at least twenty hours. with homework taking maybe five to ten hours it won't exactly leave me a lot of time for learning a SECOND language. luckily i'm pretty good at language learning, so maybe it won't take as long to get the proficiency i need from german or french. i also need to work out how to do, like, medications and stuff cause i'm on hormones and antidepressants, which i know for a fact is a problem for japan (just having medications, i mean) so trying to figure out how to get to a doctor and get my prescriptions up to date is something i need to work on between now and applying to schools. the irony is, even if i go at breakneck pace, i probably won't be able to leave america for at least three years, but there's not much i can do to accelerate this schedule. though i will admit if i could manage to get a full time job that pays decently and has benefits (this is probably more unlikely than me getting into a japanese phd program) i might just do that instead since phd abroad would be very expensive and i'm unsure about my ability to work overseas while studying. another thing i need to look into, but another thing i can't really do without more japanese. a pretty big catch that catch 22

i mean let's be honest if i were to do buddhist studies focusing on japanese buddhism, or even comparative religions between christianity and buddhism, being in japan and getting both the language experience i would need to be really comfortable with the language as well as having immediate access to temples and such would be a boost to my career so regardless of the election it'd be the better move but since it requires a lot more effort and skill i considered it a secondary objective before the election and now consider it primary. if i fail to do it i fail to do it but i'm certainly trying. in fact i managed to update my passport before pence makes it require surgery i haven't had, so that's a thing i did manage to do

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
like lutha mahtin understand this; after trump was elected i saw america on a path that would make it hard for me, as a transgender woman (a transgender woman who passes, but a transgender woman nonetheless because stupid miss mo tzu bitch thought outing herself in a peer reviewed paper was a GREAT idea, thanks bitch!). like in my immediate future i realized that my "eh i'll get around to it" ideas about my passport were outdated; i needed it updated IMMEDIATELY and got it updated immediately. but in the far future i see a government rushing to strip me of every right i have ever been granted, whether immediately by removing executive orders or slowly by appointing conservative justices to overturn years of careful case history.

i'll admit as a white woman i'm unlikely to be affected by hate crimes, and so my use of antifa rhetoric rings a bit hollow, but i wholeheartedly believe that the people i have "incited violence against" have already made it so that existing as someone other than a straight, cis, white male requires moving through a system of violence, a system that seeks nothing less than the subjugation and destruction of those who are different. if my saying "the only good nazi is a dead nazi" offends you more than the existence of nazis i don't know what to tell ya

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I'm not saying this because Mo is my sister, but the fact you spoke this way to my sister is what compels me to say it: you can be very judgmental and often jump to conclusions, but to be honest I think many of us here do that. But the problem is you can be abusive when you speak to people. I'm not calling you out, I'm posting this on the forums so Hegel or someone else can tell ME I'm full of it but I find it problematic you police other people's holiness (you profess to be Christian but...etc) but are also verbally abusive. And it's not a problem because it "makes you a jerk", it's a problem because I don't think you want to be abusive because you recognize that too is against the Gospel.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
I'm not even religious and I can understand how fasting is a good thing.

Self-denial of vices is proof that humans can live a life that isn't merely searching for sweater and sweater candy. The fact that the reasoning behind the fast could be a simple communal bonding or arbitrary self-infliction does not eliminate the fact that it is an act of self-discipline. It's very unlikely that Josef would disagree with the statement 'avoiding snacks and consuming preplanned meals at scheduled times has helped me achieve a more focused mindset.', but it becomes odious to him in a religious context because the impression is that it is only possible to reach God in an altered state of being. My reply to this would be: seeking to alter your physical being in order to change your mental processes is a basic drive of the human condition. Sobriety is a culturally defined range of states, and thus a lie.

Last time I looked into this the scientific consensus was that it took about 18 hours of not eating for the human body to resort to consuming muscle, and most feelings of hunger before that limit are simply hormonal signalings of 'you normally eat around this time!' and not signs of danger.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Scrree posted:

sweater candy

I know it's just a typo but as soon as my wife comes home I'm gonna try saying, "C'mon girl, lemme have some of that sweater candy." :wiggle:

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

P-Mack posted:

I know it's just a typo but as soon as my wife comes home I'm gonna try saying, "C'mon girl, lemme have some of that sweater candy." :wiggle:

Large blessings from small errors.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
remember that more people read this thread than post in it, nobody say more than you'd be absolutely OK with seeing internet neo-nazis read

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Bel_Canto posted:

could i ask that you all keep me and my colleagues in your prayers? we're still reeling a bit because a teach-in that we put on for MLK Day yesterday (about how classical antiquity has been and continues to be deployed in support of racist and white supremacist agendas) was invaded by actual no-poo poo fascists from Identity Evropa. nobody was hurt and their video camera was confiscated, so probably nobody's going to be doxxed, but we're all still rather terrified, particularly those of us in racial and sexual minorities

Peace be with you folks. Godspeed you past the moment of terror. Terror is the Devil's tool and does not impede God's ultimate victory.

Deteriorata posted:

It's easy for critics (and even adherents) to focus on the discipline of faith. Let's also remember:

So I commend the enjoyment of life, because there is nothing better for a person under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. Then joy will accompany them in their toil all the days of the life God has given them under the sun.
- Ecclesiastes 8:15

Yes, let us remember this, too. Qoheleth was wise to realize God's assessment as ultimate and man's as useless or vain in comparison. Even Pope Francis, with all the wisdom and love he's equipped himself with, does not ask to be considered sinless. The truth is perfect but the vessel is not. So please, by all means let's all enjoy the daily little gifts of God, and find ourselves smiling and happy, too.

Josef bugman posted:

As regards the highlighted part: How does one "win" in spiritual warfare? What is Spiritual warfare in the first place?

Spiritual warfare is a way to look at any struggle of the spirit as a conflict between multiple sides, one of which you are on. A spiritual struggle can happen at the group and individual level. It can be thought of as a battle of wills, a resistance of temptation, an urge to remain steadfast in the face of opposition. It ought to capture all the non-physical struggles we have. Anyone can have these inner struggles and fights, and so spiritual warfare is not a solely Christian concept.

I think Qoheleth would say that no one can determine what ultimate victory is with any meaningful substance; that is a question that can only be meaningfully answered by an ultimate deity, by God.

Josef bugman posted:

Whilst it is better to die than to do horrible things, but dying for a belief? I can't help but think "What if I am wrong and have been misinterpreting everything"?

That is an legitimate challenge that we all need to have, really. Qoheleth again would challenges us to consider if any of our mortal dialog can give a meaningful answer. There is no one who can answer that like God can, certainly not me, not Qoheleth, not even Frankl, though we are all each of us challenged to respond to the same doubts.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Martin Luther King is somebody I want to study more. I read some of his writing in school and I always thought he was really good at writing clearly, and he had a lot of ideas about things.

He's our brother, for sure. I can always stand to learn more about King. It was most important for me to learn how his public focus grew over time, starting with racism and the Civil Rights movement to eventually include the anti-war movement and the Poor People's Campaign, and how that lost him support (even among friends) and may have greatly imperiled his life.

He was not perfect (he did not stand beside Bayard Rustin, for example) and never claimed to be, but he lived a Jesus-inspired life, and it shows. Brother King, pray for us!

Caufman fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 18, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
rodrigo diaz linked me the story of this priest today:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raphael_Morgan

and speaking of civil rights, john lewis happens to share a name with the bad guy from this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9jCY8jwULg
and it's been in my head all week, also i have been doing double takes

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Scrree posted:

I'm not even religious and I can understand how fasting is a good thing.

Self-denial of vices is proof that humans can live a life that isn't merely searching for sweater and sweater candy. The fact that the reasoning behind the fast could be a simple communal bonding or arbitrary self-infliction does not eliminate the fact that it is an act of self-discipline. It's very unlikely that Josef would disagree with the statement 'avoiding snacks and consuming preplanned meals at scheduled times has helped me achieve a more focused mindset.', but it becomes odious to him in a religious context because the impression is that it is only possible to reach God in an altered state of being. My reply to this would be: seeking to alter your physical being in order to change your mental processes is a basic drive of the human condition. Sobriety is a culturally defined range of states, and thus a lie.

Last time I looked into this the scientific consensus was that it took about 18 hours of not eating for the human body to resort to consuming muscle, and most feelings of hunger before that limit are simply hormonal signalings of 'you normally eat around this time!' and not signs of danger.

Eating isn't a vice bro you'll die if you don't do it.

For most people, not eating for x hours is not dangerous, at worst you'll faint which is also not that dangerous honestly. But there are some people for whom it is impossible, whether that's because of mental problems or because they're diabetic or something.

So dear goons, restrict your diet in any way you like, but please be mindful of your body and mental state when you do it.

As for the martyrdom discussion, I find the whole concept really off-putting, whether it's Catholics getting all starry-eyed over some 14y/o girl saint killed for converting, Islamists recruiting boys as suicide bombers or first world war generals going on about giving your life for your country.
I agree with Mo Tzu that taking risks for what you believe in is commendable, but dying in that context is not preferable to surviving in any way.

Bel_Canto I'll pray for you when I get around to praying again. Be safe.

pidan fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 18, 2017

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

pidan posted:

As for the martyrdom discussion, I find the whole concept really off-putting, whether it's Catholics getting all starry-eyed over some 14y/o girl saint killed for converting, Islamists recruiting boys as suicide bombers or first world war generals going on about giving your life for your country.
I agree with Mo Tzu that taking risks for what you believe in is commendable, but dying in that context is not preferable to surviving in any way.

This was kind of what I was aiming at, thank you for putting it better than I could.

Will get back to the other stuff to quote later, need to get to work!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

pidan posted:

but dying in that context is not preferable to surviving in any way..

As a Christian, trying to live as a member of the Catholic Church, I see the example of Christians in the face of deadly persecution, the early Church, the Japanese Christians, Christians in Syria, and deep in my heart I believe that death is always preferable to apostasy.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mo Tzu posted:

i was actually referencing my earlier "the only good fascist is a dead fascist" antifa post in the thread, which i assumed you were referring to. which i made kinda out of fear about encroaching fascism in american politics and the rise of hate crimes post trump's election. in case it isn't clear, i don't actually advocate violence, mostly because i don't believe violence is capable of effecting necessary change to society

and i'm still working on my japanese, at the pace i'm going it'll take me about a year to get to a point where i can pass jlpt level 2, and i'd need level one to get into a phd progra in japan. i've looked into schools over there, but i don't have the language skills yet to really understand a lot of the requirements. if all else fails, if i manage to get jlpt 2 by the end of this year i'll look into canadian and english phd programs for buddhist studies. i still need to get reading proficiency in french or german and i'm not entirely sure how to go about doing that since i've studying japanese like twenty hours a week, and i'm trying my damnedest to get a part time job for at least twenty hours. with homework taking maybe five to ten hours it won't exactly leave me a lot of time for learning a SECOND language. luckily i'm pretty good at language learning, so maybe it won't take as long to get the proficiency i need from german or french. i also need to work out how to do, like, medications and stuff cause i'm on hormones and antidepressants, which i know for a fact is a problem for japan (just having medications, i mean) so trying to figure out how to get to a doctor and get my prescriptions up to date is something i need to work on between now and applying to schools. the irony is, even if i go at breakneck pace, i probably won't be able to leave america for at least three years, but there's not much i can do to accelerate this schedule. though i will admit if i could manage to get a full time job that pays decently and has benefits (this is probably more unlikely than me getting into a japanese phd program) i might just do that instead since phd abroad would be very expensive and i'm unsure about my ability to work overseas while studying. another thing i need to look into, but another thing i can't really do without more japanese. a pretty big catch that catch 22

i mean let's be honest if i were to do buddhist studies focusing on japanese buddhism, or even comparative religions between christianity and buddhism, being in japan and getting both the language experience i would need to be really comfortable with the language as well as having immediate access to temples and such would be a boost to my career so regardless of the election it'd be the better move but since it requires a lot more effort and skill i considered it a secondary objective before the election and now consider it primary. if i fail to do it i fail to do it but i'm certainly trying. in fact i managed to update my passport before pence makes it require surgery i haven't had, so that's a thing i did manage to do

I'm trying to get to Japan this year so I can be more comfortable in my japanese before I apply for grad school (love the theater, can't wait to study kabuki and noh)

In Japan you can import under a month's supply of certain medications, the only restrictions i'm certain of are stimulants

This website has a good overview http://www.au.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/visa_medicine_en.html

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

I'm trying to get to Japan this year so I can be more comfortable in my japanese before I apply for grad school (love the theater, can't wait to study kabuki and noh)

We should have a goon meet in Japan once we all end up grad students there. I'll bring the incense.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

pidan posted:

We should have a goon meet in Japan once we all end up grad students there. I'll bring the incense.

I'll fly up from Taiwan. :D

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Hey everyone, i just found Jesus not to long ago, and now have a guardian angel who pantomime's things for me. I was baptised catholic and recieved my first communion at a young age, but was godless ever since. Until recently, where a strange series of events has renewed my faith. I'm not too knowledgeable about the Bible and stuff, tbh.

I know that God doesn't really give a poo poo what I do, as long as I spread love, that is not my question.

My question is; how do I make my guardian angels powers stronger? Or is this possible at all? Does it speak of anything like this in the Bible, or any ancient text? I'm getting pretty good at communication with God, through dreams, praying, and my angel pantomiming to me. But I feel as if there is something I can do to give this divine being more power over me, or something. Like how you level up your Pokemon. Is that disrespectful to say?

Anyone?

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

Hey everyone, i just found Jesus not to long ago, and now have a guardian angel who pantomime's things for me. I was baptised catholic and recieved my first communion at a young age, but was godless ever since. Until recently, where a strange series of events has renewed my faith. I'm not too knowledgeable about the Bible and stuff, tbh.

I know that God doesn't really give a poo poo what I do, as long as I spread love, that is not my question.

My question is; how do I make my guardian angels powers stronger? Or is this possible at all? Does it speak of anything like this in the Bible, or any ancient text? I'm getting pretty good at communication with God, through dreams, praying, and my angel pantomiming to me. But I feel as if there is something I can do to give this divine being more power over me, or something. Like how you level up your Pokemon. Is that disrespectful to say?

Anyone?

If you learn Enochian, the angel won't have to mime things to you anymore.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

You gotta grind some low-level demons first, the catacombs level is pretty good for that. Once your angel hits level eight the first thing you should do is getting the “Divine Justice“ upgrade which adds a hefty bonus to its attacks *and* increases the probability of enemies dropping magic items.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

Anyone?

Are you thinking about stands from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure? They are not guardian angels, sorry.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paladinus posted:

Are you thinking about stands from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure? They are not guardian angels, sorry.

you can't level up stands

i mean, you can, but they haven't animated part v yet so we probably shouldn't talk about requiem stands

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Catholicism: The RPG!

Summon the intercession of the mighty saints and angels to aid you in your quest to recover all the pieces of the True Cross!

Increase your Miracle Meter with third-class relics or join a confraternity to power up your rosary-praying!

Join one of a variety of holy orders for extra abilities, but make sure not to break the vows or you'll be put under penance!

Are you papist enough to withstand the scatological invective of Martin Luther?

Coming to Praystation 4 Fall 2017.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Phlegmatist posted:

Catholicism: The RPG!

Summon the intercession of the mighty saints and angels to aid you in your quest to recover all the pieces of the True Cross!

Increase your Miracle Meter with third-class relics or join a confraternity to power up your rosary-praying!

Join one of a variety of holy orders for extra abilities, but make sure not to break the vows or you'll be put under penance!

Are you papist enough to withstand the scatological invective of Martin Luther?

Coming to Praystation 4 Fall 2017.

somebody already started the darklands lp

Bel_Canto posted:

Will do, stay safe

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mo Tzu posted:

you can't level up stands

i mean, you can, but they haven't animated part v yet so we probably shouldn't talk about requiem stands

I'm looking forward to giorno

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Everyone's talking about JoJo all the time. Should I give it a try or is it too much of a time sink now to get into?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Now is the perfect time to watch/read it because we're between parts

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

I was thinking like, visiting the Vatican, reviving an almost dead 3rd world orphan, or going crusade style and pillaging from other religions. Is that kosher? Or was that the Devil who did that?

I know WWJD, and Jesus definitely wouldn't pillage. I like to look at it like, what DID Jesus do? he walked around, owned nothing, and spread love and wisdom. Also he got drunk once I think, so thank god that's still on the table.

Just trying to be a good Christian here

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

I was thinking like, visiting the Vatican, reviving an almost dead 3rd world orphan, or going crusade style and pillaging from other religions. Is that kosher? Or was that the Devil who did that?

I know WWJD, and Jesus definitely wouldn't pillage. I like to look at it like, what DID Jesus do? he walked around, owned nothing, and spread love and wisdom. Also he got drunk once I think, so thank god that's still on the table.

Jesus pillaged the hell out of hell.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

Jesus whipped bankers so try going to Wall Street and cut a motherfucker

you're on a mission from God

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Don't forget to curse some fig trees, those fuckers got it coming

e: vvv well that escalated quickly :yikes: vvv

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 19, 2017

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

nooooooow were getting somewhere! gently caress bankers (jews?), and what was the deal with fig trees?

I mean jews are typically greedy as hell, so greedy that they wouldnt accept Jesus, because they wanted a Messiah who came and sucked their dicks, and Jesus was like, naw, I'm the loving Messiah, I ain't sucking poo poo. Greedy, selfish motherfuckers

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
no antisemitism in the thread.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm gonna take the blame on that one, see i think of banking as completely independent from judaism and jews despite stereotypes because i'm not an antisemite and am aware that the majority of bankers are gentile but i opened up the possibility of shitposting of the antisemitic variety and that's mo's bad

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Mo Tzu posted:

i'm gonna take the blame on that one, see i think of banking as completely independent from judaism and jews despite stereotypes because i'm not an antisemite and am aware that the majority of bankers are gentile but i opened up the possibility of shitposting of the antisemitic variety and that's mo's bad

There's a "mo money mo's problems" joke in there somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

I mean jews are typically greedy as hell, so greedy that they wouldnt accept Jesus, because they wanted a Messiah who came and sucked their dicks, and Jesus was like, naw, I'm the loving Messiah, I ain't sucking poo poo. Greedy, selfish motherfuckers

Draping antisemitism in irony doesn't mean you aren't a worthless poisonous oval office.

Edit: seriously, if you want to make fun of Christianity for being dumb and goofy, be my guest, but if you want to use this thread as an audience for your "edgy" bigotry humour, go gently caress yourself.

Mr Enderby fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 19, 2017

• Locked thread