Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Halloween Jack posted:

I was playing the Arkham Asylum series at the same time I was reading through people's attempts to do superheroes in OSR rules frameworks (note: they're all bad), and got the idea that "street-level" supers would make for a pretty good dungeoncrawl where the dungeon is the villain's lair, or Arkham island, or just the mean streets of Gotham. But I was uncomfortable with the latter idea for exactly this reason.

I dunno, I thought Hideouts & Hoodlums was a pretty good attempt at an OSR Superhero game, not perfect mind you, but overall pretty good(enough so that I'm eagerly waiting for the author to release his planned 2nd edition of the game), partly because it embraced how goofy Golden Age comics were for the most part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I think that this works fine if you don't set it in 1970s New York but, at the very least, in a cyberpunk or Escape from New York setting at something of a remove, so that you're not playing caricatures of actual downtrodden urban poor people. Like, no one is going to call you racist for playing Necromunda.

You don't have to play street gangs squabbling with each other, either, but with the heavily-armed vigilantes invading your neighbourhood. SERF, YOU ARE ORDERED TO LEAVE THE BRONX. A SOLAR-POWERED PRE-FURNISHED HOME AWAITS YOU IN NEW MEXICO.

You're not wrong, but no matter how far you divorce something like that from reality the parallels will still exist.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

As a disclaimer, I'm not actually advocating that. It's a reference to Davis Chenault (one of the Castle & Crusades' guys) ban from rpg.net for unironically suggesting it, though. LARPing while you get your vigilante massacre on.

Ah geez Arivia, I didn't get the reference - that was a bad joke, I'm sorry.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Isn't there a secret Juggallo game about this?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Drone posted:

Am I the only one who feels sort of really pissy about parents who try to make their 5 year olds play D&D with them? I know that, on some level, a parent wanting their kid to like the same things they do is a natural feeling, but the kid is like 5 loving years old. Let the kid go play outside or discover their own fun before foisting your niche hobby on them. Something about it all just rubs me the completely wrong way -- like I dunno, I can't shake the image of a neckbeard dad forcing his kids to play D&D with him because parenting has consumed so much of his life that he can't go game with other adults.

Or am I just speaking from the biased but comfortable position of a smug non-parent who dislikes children?

As a five-year-old, getting my parents to play D&D with me was high on my list of life goals.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, my kids love "playing D&D" although mostly they love playing with my minis. They are 5 and 6.

I did run a Sorta-basic game for them once, but it was super free-form.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
My favorite edition wars meme is the people who claim that they played 4e with a group of kids and they hated it, but those same kids loved AD&D 1st edition.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

If I had known what D&D was when I was 5 I would definitely have wanted to play it(indeed only a couple years later I'd see that episode of Dexter's Laboratory and fall in love with the concept, although I wouldn't get a chance to play until a friend got the 3e starter set in 2000)

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

When I was like 10 or something, and had been playing a lot Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, I used a giant piece of old cardboard to make a grid map and then harassed my non-gamer mom into playing my incredibly lovely homebrew RPG/boardgame.

Thank goodness she never forced me to play D&D!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
basically every childhood game I played which wasn't already an established activity like Tag or Tee-Ball was something I made up based on an rpg, tv show, or other video game I liked, so even when i was just playing make believe I was still basically playing a roleplaying game

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I had heard about role-playing games and thought they sounded cool, but my mom had a bad case of Satanic Panic, so I had no access to actual gaming stuff. Being a creative sort, I came up with a vague idea of rules and basically pretended I had any idea what I was doing and ran the best idea of an rpg as we could figure out from pop culture depictions for my brother.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Serf posted:

Like on the one hand I love The Warriors and a game where you play a goofy New York street gang fighting other bizarre 70s New York street gangs for survival sounds pretty cool. But at the same time there's just no way to make it work without it being totally ignorant.

I've been toying around with doing something that would basically just be Saints Row: The TRPG. Make everything as insanely over the top as possible, you're shooting bazookas at rival drug farms and battling gangs of masked wrestlers and wannabe Draculas, etc.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

I've been toying around with doing something that would basically just be Saints Row: The TRPG. Make everything as insanely over the top as possible, you're shooting bazookas at rival drug farms and battling gangs of masked wrestlers and wannabe Draculas, etc.

Honestly I'm amazed something like that doesn't already exist, maybe mix in some Crackdown as well for the full Cops vs Robbers experience(thinking about it there's surprisingly few games where you play as law enforcement instead of criminals)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Ah geez Arivia, I didn't get the reference - that was a bad joke, I'm sorry.

No worries, that's why I clarified. Trad Games has changed a bit from when we all kept up on the good bans over there. Also I thought it was an appropriate response to the concept, if a bit ghoulish in context yes.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Ominous Jazz posted:

What if you made it like every goons favorite movie, The Raid: Redemption (or Dredd)? You start your hunt for one particular baddie, they put a big bounty on you and your crew, then suddenly a bunch of rudeboys are coming for you because it might be there one chance to get out of this hellhole. You don't gotta make it a murder romp.
edit: I changed some words around

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
There were cool dudes in both Dredd and The Raid, so obviously not everyone in murder slum one is gonna try and touch your butt.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'm always surprised there hasn't been a definitive law enforcement or organized crime RPG. Maybe it's too close to reality, but they're such huge genres it feels bizarre to see them mostly untouched. Maybe they're just more fun to watch than portray.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm always surprised there hasn't been a definitive law enforcement or organized crime RPG. Maybe it's too close to reality, but they're such huge genres it feels bizarre to see them mostly untouched. Maybe they're just more fun to watch than portray.

Usually law enforcement and organized crime games go straight for the fantastical instead of the realistic. The closest to a realistic cops game was the GURPS supplement for 3e.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
The Wire RPG

"gently caress, gently caress...gently caress" -the Bunk

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I once sat in on jury selection for a mafia case and let me tell you, it would be ruined. Humanity poisons everything we touch and we'll all die shortly

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I mean blades in the dark has ghosts, but you're just a bunch of rowdy crime boys.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Helical Nightmares posted:

The Wire RPG

"gently caress, gently caress...gently caress" -the Bunk

Balmer Poh-leece: The Bunk, slated for a timely 2018 release.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Once I worked a bit on a d20 crime game based off of Spycraft, then I found out the Spycraft guys were already doing that so I stopped. And then Ten Thousand Bullets was released in 2007 and it turned out just great- what? It never came out? And now been it's a decade since its original release date?

Oh, that's so Crafty Games.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Once I worked a bit on a d20 crime game based off of Spycraft, then I found out the Spycraft guys were already doing that so I stopped. And then Ten Thousand Bullets was released in 2007 and it turned out just great- what? It never came out? And now been it's a decade since its original release date?

Oh, that's so Crafty Games.

Yeah, I did mean things that actually existed :v:

That said I keep having this idea of doing magical Law and Order.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Technically I guess there's Giant Allege, the game of courtroom drama and mecha lawyer fights, but I don't think that ever got an official translation over here.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
There's always Haven: City of Violence :v:

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

unseenlibrarian posted:

Technically I guess there's Giant Allege, the game of courtroom drama and mecha lawyer fights, but I don't think that ever got an official translation over here.

Better question, where's the Phoenix Wright simulator?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
RE: Kids and D&D

I know that it was trendy to poo poo on it around here, but No Thank You Evil is actually a pretty good rules-light game to play with little kids. It's has different levels of rules so you can mix kids of different ages and abilities into the same game, but it also has little physical fiddly bits that go with it so the kids have something to actually play with and move around to keep them engaged in a tactile manner too. Building characters is pretty simple and really lets them go wild with their imagination and the setting is pretty harmless and light so not very likely to actually scare or confuse kids and if it's too nonsensical for you grimdark primary schooler it's pretty easy to ditch all of the setting stuff and just plop the characters into whatever setting you want. Like it's certainly not the greatest game ever, but it lets kids who aren't even close to being on the same page collaborate in the same game pretty well. For example, my 4 year old son played a Godzilla knockoff with a slightly smaller Godzilla knockoff as a side kick while my 8 year old daughter played a unicorn inspired by the unicorns on Gravity Falls and they were able to both have fun and contribute.

My kids had a good time playing it, and I have gotten requests from their friends to run another session of it with them too.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

There's always Haven: City of Violence :v:

I think you meant:

Haven

City of Violence

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's called Delta Green.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Ominous Jazz posted:

Better question, where's the Phoenix Wright simulator?

The only lawgame I know in english is Sea Dracula, which uses dance-offs as the only resolution mechanic.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kwyndig posted:

Usually law enforcement and organized crime games go straight for the fantastical instead of the realistic. The closest to a realistic cops game was the GURPS supplement for 3e.

Aaron Allston design from 1988, meant to simulate cop TV shows along the Adam 12/TJ Hooker axis.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Has any game ever done anything with the concept of shadow people, one of the things people experiencing sleep paralysis sometimes see? John Dies at the End had them as minions of its big bad, but I'm surprised I haven't seen them as antagonists in a game or protagonists in some kind of White Wolf thing.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ManMythLegend posted:

RE: Kids and D&D

I know that it was trendy to poo poo on it around here, but No Thank You Evil is actually a pretty good rules-light game to play with little kids. It's has different levels of rules so you can mix kids of different ages and abilities into the same game, but it also has little physical fiddly bits that go with it so the kids have something to actually play with and move around to keep them engaged in a tactile manner too. Building characters is pretty simple and really lets them go wild with their imagination and the setting is pretty harmless and light so not very likely to actually scare or confuse kids and if it's too nonsensical for you grimdark primary schooler it's pretty easy to ditch all of the setting stuff and just plop the characters into whatever setting you want. Like it's certainly not the greatest game ever, but it lets kids who aren't even close to being on the same page collaborate in the same game pretty well. For example, my 4 year old son played a Godzilla knockoff with a slightly smaller Godzilla knockoff as a side kick while my 8 year old daughter played a unicorn inspired by the unicorns on Gravity Falls and they were able to both have fun and contribute.

My kids had a good time playing it, and I have gotten requests from their friends to run another session of it with them too.

It's got a lot lot of weird little issues that make it more annoying to use than it should be. Like, playing with younger kids actually makes the game harder. And not in a "well they're younger so you have to corral them better" way, but the game relies on spending stat points and then tells you not to use the adjectives that grant more stat points at lower age-levels while keeping the target difficulty numbers the same across age groups. It also says you have to explicitly state the target number for younger kids, so you can't go back and fudge it if a roll goes wrong. There's also no thought put into the balance of each available player options, which should be extra-important when you're dealing with kids, really. you can permanently stunlock an enemy by throwing pizza at it, or you can deal +1 damage to an attack wooo! That might not be an issue with younger kids, but the recommended age bracket for kids to have access to those powers is 8-12 years old, who will totally cotton to some choices being inherently better than others. Overall the whole game feels loose where it should be solid and overly-firm where it should be looser, but I guess that's the cypher system as a whole which is poo poo

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Maxwell Lord posted:

At this point you're basically playing Shadowrun.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

ProfessorCirno posted:

At this point you're basically playing Shadowrun.

Yeah but that's tied to a specific setting and the rules have their own focus (not to mention that the game becomes about running jobs for megacorps instead of taking over the city.)

Like I'd want a light system but one that has a solid structure for taking/holding territory from other gangs and getting money and assets from that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a guide on what kind of book-binding should be used for a given situation? I think it largely depends on how large the document is and how much you're willing to spend, right? Is there a clearly better one under certain criteria?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there a guide on what kind of book-binding should be used for a given situation? I think it largely depends on how large the document is and how much you're willing to spend, right? Is there a clearly better one under certain criteria?

Yes, the thing that constantly annoys me about the binding of technical reference books (of which RPG books are a variation thereof) is when the book will not lay flat with the pages still. The cheapest way to do that is metal or plastic ring binding.

For other books it's a cost issue.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"You are the police" seems like a fine way to build a framework around a campaign of any system.

Like, the hard-boiled Crusader is building a pile of cigarette butts as he stakes out the warehouse on the wharf, while the rookie Swordsage is sneaking in through the roof, balancing on some support beams so she can watch the deal go down.

There's an exchange of illicit emberflower extract between the Drow mafia and the corrupt psionic longshoremen. The Crusader warned the Swordsage to not do anything rash, but she tries to blowdart a tracer pod onto the drug package anyway - only she flubs the roll, and it ends up hitting one of the Ogre enforcers at the back of the neck.

The dumb lout looks up, sees her, and yells. The group starts breaking up as they realize their cover is blown. The Swordsage jumps out onto the roof under a hail of crossbow fire, and whistles her partners on the ground.

The Captain, and old, grizzly Favored Soul and the Lieutenant, a by-the-book, straight-laced Samurai, have a fight with the Drow as their break out from a side entrance. The Crusader tries to rush in, but they tell the veteran to go round the back and chase down the longshoreman's GIthyanki boss. A long chase scene ensues as the Crusader pursues the fleeing perp on the ground, with the Swordsage trying to keep pace from the rooftops. Fruit carts get overturned, bystanders get yelled at to get out of the way, and the Githyanki breaks through a pane of glass getting transported across a street.

The Crusader and the Swordsage eventually corner the Githyanki into a dead-end alley, but just as they say the jig is up, the GIthyanki reaches down, raps on a loose floor tile, and recedes into the wall. The two partners try to break through, but come to realize that they're pounding on the back wall of the Neogi ambassador's compound.

They look up, and they see the Neogi Great Old One, its long clawed appendages resting on the winded Githyanki boss's shoulders.

"You'll never get me ... because of diplomatic immunity! HAHAHA"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah but that's tied to a specific setting and the rules have their own focus (not to mention that the game becomes about running jobs for megacorps instead of taking over the city.)

Like I'd want a light system but one that has a solid structure for taking/holding territory from other gangs and getting money and assets from that.

This sound like a hack for Blades in the Dark. It already has a structure around acquiring holdings, and reputation with other factions/gangs.

• Locked thread