Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

a new study bible! posted:

Then the NFL would have the same wonderful parity as MLB.

Baseball has the greatest chance of parity among the major sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

That's more of a superstar effect than a dollars spent thing. At least different teams make the playoffs each year, which is unlike baseball since you can literally pick division winners before the season even begins.

There are a ton of factors that go into encouraging/reducing parity and have a much bigger impact than a salary cap ever would. Like playing only 16 games instead of 162, or having fewer teams make the playoffs (10 instead of 12). And yes, the effect of having a good or superstar QB is much bigger than that of a salary cap.

It's also super naive to think that the nfl salary cap is designed to do anything but limit the amount of money players are paid. They didn't even put in a floor until 2011.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

What matters now is that we can collectively root for the Falcons because oh my god gently caress these three other teams

I volunteer as tribute

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Cash Monet posted:

Baseball has the greatest chance of parity among the major sports.

It's also the worst product labeled as a professional sport. In theory it has the greatest parity, yes, because the level at which a superstar player can affect the game is so much lower than any other sport.

Once those superstars get off their rookie deals, however, they are probably going to get bought out by one of 5 potential teams while the other billionaire owners trot out the worst team imaginable.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's also super naive to think that the nfl salary cap is designed to do anything but limit the amount of money players are paid. They didn't even put in a floor until 2011.

Regardless of intention, the salary cap is a good thing for the overall product and it's a good thing for the fans.

I totally believe that a salary cap is there to limit a players earning power and football players definitely need to be paid more. It's unimaginable to me that any high school student would choose to play football when the earning power of baseball and basketball players is so much more. It's crazy.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Remember when Jeffrey Loria was, somehow, an even worse owner than Dan Snyder?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Remember when Jeffrey Loria was, somehow, an even worse owner than Dan Snyder?

was? pretty sure he still is.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Dak's a fraud. Romo should have started and should be starting next year while Dak becomes the backup. Thanks and god bless

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm looking back on my past posts with disgust even considering cheering for the rest of you fucks just because it made my division look better

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/NFL_Memes/status/821037717328891905

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Doltos posted:

I'm looking back on my past posts with disgust even considering cheering for the rest of you fucks just because it made my division look better

lol if you ever actually considered cheering for another NFC East team when it didn't help your team's playoff standing

jesus I'd rather see the Pats win than one of your clown-rear end teams

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly

Would bring a tear to a glass eye.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

5'd

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TheChirurgeon posted:

lol if you ever actually considered cheering for another NFC East team when it didn't help your team's playoff standing

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
I agree as well.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
enh, turnabout's fair play; after the Giants got blown out I felt the same way

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

TheChirurgeon posted:

This is true for me too all you fuckers can burn

but we'll have the best campfire, because we are the best. Remember those AFCW fans who came in all proud of their own division over the NFCE

They won as many playoff games as we did, and had one less win in the division

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'd root for the Giants or Redskins over the Patriots in a Super Bowl.

But Eagles fans have more reason to hate the Patriots because the Eagles were the victims of one of their infamous cheating episodes.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NotWearingPants posted:

I'd root for the Giants or Redskins over the Patriots in a Super Bowl.

But Eagles fans have more reason to hate the Patriots because the Eagles were the victims of one of their infamous cheating episodes.

I *might* root for the Eagles over the Pats or Steelers because even though I hate the Eagles and their fans with a passion, I'd rather see them get their first super bowl win than watch fans of the Steelers or the Pats jerk each other off forever about how great their franchises are

Seriously Go Falcons

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah if there's one good thing about the AFC it's that one of those fanbases is gonna be sad come Sunday night

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

TheChirurgeon posted:

I *might* root for the Eagles over the Pats or Steelers because even though I hate the Eagles and their fans with a passion, I'd rather see them get their first super bowl win than watch fans of the Steelers or the Pats jerk each other off forever about how great their franchises are

Seriously Go Falcons

If the Pats win another they will be tied with the Cowboys in the all time race.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

If the Pats win another they will be tied with the Cowboys in the all time race.

I straight up do not care about all-time super bowl wins. It's cute we can rub that in Eagles' fans faces whenever they want to force the rings argument but I wasn't alive to see us win in '71 or '78 so who the gently caress cares

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

I straight up do not care about all-time super bowl wins. It's cute we can rub that in Eagles' fans faces whenever they want to force the rings argument but I wasn't alive to see us win in '71 or '78 so who the gently caress cares

Same, started with early 90s Cowboys

Fun hearing stories from my dad about the 70s Cowboys though

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Same, started with early 90s Cowboys

Fun hearing stories from my dad about the 70s Cowboys though

Yeah I mean it's cool seeing old footage of Staubach and Dorsett and Hayes and those guys, but less cool when I have to hear Staubach's opinion on every new Cowboys' QB. Or Aikman's for that matter

The only thing those old super bowls did is make it so that a Cowboys season isn't a success unless it ends with a Super Bowl win, which is a pretty lovely outlook to have since it doesn't matter which team you root for, most of the years of your life you'll end up disappointed if that's the only metric you're going by

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Febreeze posted:

This is true for me too all you fuckers can burn

but we'll have the best campfire, because we are the best. Remember those AFCW fans who came in all proud of their own division over the NFCE

They won as many playoff games as we did, and had one less win in the division

AFCW vs NFCE going to be fun next year.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

MrLogan posted:

AFCW vs NFCE going to be fun next year.

Especially if Romo ends up going to the Broncos

e: though their defense might take a huge hit next year

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

TheChirurgeon posted:

Especially if Romo ends up going to the Broncos

e: though their defense might take a huge hit next year

From the coaching change? I don't think any major players are hitting free agency.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Just dropping by to say gently caress the Cowboys.

God Bless.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

89 posted:

From the coaching change? I don't think any major players are hitting free agency.

A combination of the coaching change (Wade is a great DC), free agency, and age.

Free agents: Demarcus Ware, Vance Walker, and Sylvester Williams

Walker missed most of the season with an ACL tear, but Williams and Ware are both starters. Even if Ware doesn't leave, he's not on the right side of 30.

Players close to/over 30: Talib (30), Ward (30), Stewart (28), Williams (28)

and on offense, both Thomas and Sanders will be turning 30 next year

I'd be real money on Denver declining next year if they don't improve at QB, regardless of whether they get Romo.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I think Romo and the Texans would be a great fit

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
How many years does Romo reallllly have left with his extensive back injuries and surgeries anyways?

Two? MAX?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Romo to be released. No trade.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Jets - Brandon Marshall to be released.

:fap::911::fap:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

89 posted:

Romo to be released. No trade.

source?

e: It wouldn't surprise me terribly, but so far all I've seen on this is speculation

shyduck posted:

I think Romo and the Texans would be a great fit

They're stuck with Osweiler for another year, probably

89 posted:

How many years does Romo reallllly have left with his extensive back injuries and surgeries anyways?

Two? MAX?

You act like a 37 year-old QB wouldn't have only a year or two max without back injuries

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 18, 2017

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Cousins to SF for 2 first rounders somehow (non exclusive franchise?), Skins draft amazing defenders this year, sign Romo to 2 year deal, win Super Bowl in second season, he rides into the sunset

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NattyBo posted:

Cousins to SF for 2 first rounders somehow (non exclusive franchise?), Skins draft amazing defenders this year, sign Romo to 2 year deal, win Super Bowl in second season, he rides into the sunset

I'd be OK with this because it would put Romo into the HOF

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
What kind of Cowboys fan would be okay with Washington winning another SB gtfo jfc

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

What kind of Cowboys fan would be okay with Washington winning another SB gtfo jfc

I also root for players I like. Not that hard to understand

Also this will never happen so who the gently caress cares

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

TheChirurgeon posted:

I also root for players I like. Not that hard to understand

Also this will never happen so who the gently caress cares
Same with me but replace Romo with Andy Reid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009