Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I think Mass Effect's gameplay works better for multiplayer than Dragon Age. The loot grinding in Dragon Age was extremely tedious as well since most of the random booster packs contained only garbage. You had to be crazy to spend any real money on it because there wasn't even a guaranteed rare item in more expensive packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The rubberbanding and limited active skills really killed the DAI multiplayer for me. Dedicated servers would have helped, but instead you were just sort of thrown into whichever horribly laggy client connection the game found for you first. Also, without the FPS component forming a solid core of gameplay, I don't think limiting the player's active skills is fun or makes sense.

Serf
May 5, 2011

sweet geek swag posted:

Crafting is good. If you take the time to craft it should give you something better than normal world drops, but maybe not as good as the really good epic stuff. Aside from the annoying interface, DAI's main crafting sin was that it was generally a lot better than non crafted epics. That's actually a problem with the loot design though, not the crafting. They could have had many in game items that give you guard on hit for example, but they just don't really make use of the better item enhancements for the most part.

Found loot should have special qualities that you just can't make in crafting. Like you should be able to craft some pretty good stuff, but give the stuff you find other stuff that you can't just min-max through crafting. Like yeah you can build a +3 Eviscerator that sets dudes on fire, but you should be able to kill a nasty krogan warlord and take his +3 Eviscerator that sets dudes on fire and makes enemies who die to the DoT explode into incendiary grenades or something.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Android Blues posted:

Also, without the FPS component forming a solid core of gameplay, I don't think limiting the player's active skills is fun or makes sense.

Conceptually, I like what they were going for. A sort of action oriented D&D style dungeon crawl with each member of your party to having a different role and playstyle. Unfortunately, they screwed up the class balance so bad that most of your option were either pitifully underpowered or boring as poo poo to actually play. And, as mentioned, the awful rubberbanding and janky-rear end combat also did it no favors.

I had fun with it, but it was no ME 3 multiplayer, that's for sure.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Serf posted:

Found loot should have special qualities that you just can't make in crafting. Like you should be able to craft some pretty good stuff, but give the stuff you find other stuff that you can't just min-max through crafting. Like yeah you can build a +3 Eviscerator that sets dudes on fire, but you should be able to kill a nasty krogan warlord and take his +3 Eviscerator that sets dudes on fire and makes enemies who die to the DoT explode into incendiary grenades or something.

One game that really nailed this was The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind. In general, crafted items were some of the best you could get in terms of raw stats, but there were also rare items out in the world that provided unique abilities you couldn't find anywhere else. It creates a big incentive to go poking around in every cave on the map because you never knew what you might find.

Most RPGs screw this up horribly, even the later Skyrim, as well as DA:I. Sure, you could go into that cave, and you probably will because your open-world OCD leaves you no choice, but you know drat well you're not going to find any cool new loot in there.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Skippy McPants posted:

One game that really nailed this was The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind. In general, crafted items were some of the best you could get in terms of raw stats, but there were also rare items out in the world that provided unique abilities you couldn't find anywhere else. It creates a big incentive to go poking around in every cave on the map because you never knew what you might find.

Most RPGs screw this up horribly, even the later Skyrim, as well as DA:I. Sure, you could go into that cave, and you probably will because your open-world OCD leaves you no choice, but you know drat well you're not going to find any cool new loot in there.

DA:I had some really cool unique weapons actually. I found this bow that fired five arrows with every shot in a fan pattern and gave it to Sera, and she would hose down whole groups with it (esp when her focus ability popped).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Serf posted:

You can also combine the two systems. Make weapons modular, especially in a futuristic sci-fi setting like Mass Effect. You craft something awesome, but find an awesome weapon out in the field, so take parts of one and add it to the other. Keeps you interested in crafting and looting without nerfing either one.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't care about being able to change my characters face or craft anything. I'd rather all that time be put into the actual game. The thing that 100% of the people use and see. Catering to percentages just weakens the game in general. If the game is 100% complete and polished then sure, add some useless crap. But that never happens any more so all the crafting and customization is just time away from making the game better.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Truth. Crafting can be cool if it's done well but it's not something I would ever wish had been added to a game that's plenty cool without it.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Witcher 3 was a good game because it stripped all the dumb bs out of a typical RPG, and could have been even better if they had removed crafting as well.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Mike the TV posted:

Witcher 3 was a good game because it stripped all the dumb bs out of a typical RPG, and could have been even better if they had removed crafting as well.

Just started playing witcher 3 because of this thread, and you can craft most things anywhere except weapons and armor which is a decent compromise.

Already learned that the super duper crafters are in only two places though, so I'm sure that bullshit will rear its head eventually.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I like crafting because it's usually more customization options and customization options are good.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BrianWilly posted:

I like crafting because it's usually more customization options and customization options are good.

Would you rather have crafting or more time put into the actual game?

For instance, what if ME3 had as "robust" a crafting system as DAI. Would you keep the crafting or take all that time and effort and put it into the main game?

I know it's sort of apples and oranges because they are likely different teams, but it's still man hours being put into something that doesn't matter and the ME3 problem was the writing. Point stands, though.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

IMO, it kind of does matter as crafting is another part of the character progression. Ideally, in later sections of the game you find better schematics or better materials to make better gear to deal with stronger enemies.

But with crafting I can choose to wear a leather trech-coat I think is cool with silver finishing or some other sweet color coordination over some armor and not sacrifice stats for style.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Eh, I think that sort of stuff depends on how narrowly you define "actual game," and that's not something everyone is going to agree on. Some people are going to say that the game is about the characters, and want more conversations or more companion missions. Others want more places to explore. Others want more things to shoot and more stuff to shoot them with. For others yet, it's Fashion Souls.

Hell, it's been a common complaint in the past that certain modes detract from the "actual game." I know that several players of games like Call of Duty and Battlefield wonder aloud why the singleplayers are included when, to them, the actual game is the multiplayer, but if you take a game like Dead Space or Mass Effect, the "actual game" is the single player and the multiplayer is at first blush a mind-boggling addition. In Mass Effect's case it worked great, but if it hadn't people would bitch "why did they waste resources on it instead of working on the 'actual game?'"

Serf
May 5, 2011

I mean yeah. For me, crafting stuff is a part of the "actual game" for games that include it.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Serf posted:

Crafted gear should be better than any stuff you can get in a normal straight through run through of the game. It shouldn't be better than stuff that comes from hidden or optional bosses and dungeons. If you put extra time and effort into the game, you should get more out of it.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Crafting in DAI sucked a fat penis until they added the tinting table so I didn't have to walk around as a pink metaled yellow silked idiot. Then it sucked a nice shapely and vascular penis.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Mike the TV posted:

As much as I love Witcher 3, I wish they didn't encourage players to lug around four sets of rare armor for the five levels they're effective at, and then 20 levels later when you can upgrade them.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Eh, I think that sort of stuff depends on how narrowly you define "actual game," and that's not something everyone is going to agree on. Some people are going to say that the game is about the characters, and want more conversations or more companion missions. Others want more places to explore. Others want more things to shoot and more stuff to shoot them with. For others yet, it's Fashion Souls.

Hell, it's been a common complaint in the past that certain modes detract from the "actual game." I know that several players of games like Call of Duty and Battlefield wonder aloud why the singleplayers are included when, to them, the actual game is the multiplayer, but if you take a game like Dead Space or Mass Effect, the "actual game" is the single player and the multiplayer is at first blush a mind-boggling addition. In Mass Effect's case it worked great, but if it hadn't people would bitch "why did they waste resources on it instead of working on the 'actual game?'"

The story I heard was the MP mode was actually meant to be a complete standalone game, but they ran out of resources to finish it, so they just decided to slap it onto ME3, because why waste all that work?

Not sure if this is actually true or one of those internet stories.

Mike the TV posted:

Witcher crafting, while pretty streamlined, was really disappointing for me when it came to the armor. I loved the look of the Ursine and Wolven sets, but didn't like the playstyle it promoted. Sure I built Geralt the way I wanted to play him and just wore the armor even though it wasn't the most optimal but was the prettiest, but I do prefer a crafting system that lets me look the way I like and have the stats I want.

Its the reason why wardrobe options have gotten so popular in MMOs even - no one wants to wear a clownsuit just because it has the best stats.

Zakmonster fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 18, 2017

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Zakmonster posted:

Its the reason why wardrobe options have gotten so popular in MMOs even - no one wants to wear a clownsuit just because it has the best stats.
If you give me an actual clownsuit I will wear it even if it has the worst stats :colbert: (also Dragon's Dogma actually did this)

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

SubponticatePoster posted:

If you give me an actual clownsuit I will wear it even if it has the worst stats :colbert: (also Dragon's Dogma actually did this)

Only one of the many reasons why that game was wonderful.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Will the space suits even look that much different other than a slightly changed color scheme? What can they actually do with Armor in this game outside of just make sure you can never see the horrible face flap about in some form of speech?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The ultimate Vanguard armor would just be like a hyper-dense titanium cylinder that you crawl into, like those old barrels they used to drop over waterfalls. You could just vanguard launch yourself at enemies like that; it would be like an orbital kinetic bombardment but from handshake distance. Your team could just roll you from place to place, or the game could implement some type of super monkey ball-type method of traversal

Maybe they'd let you craft some fun stripes or like a Make America Great Again flag attached as a cape.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 18, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Drifter posted:

super monkey ball-type method of traversal

Here we see Ryder in the new Vanguard armour:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lobok posted:

Here we see Ryder in the new Vanguard armour:

Still easier to steer than the mako

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Crabtree posted:

Will the space suits even look that much different other than a slightly changed color scheme? What can they actually do with Armor in this game outside of just make sure you can never see the horrible face flap about in some form of speech?

It's a good question. Companions in previous games have been able to wear whatever they want in empty space and be cool so long as they have some kind of mask, but the player character has always had a full armored space suit. So we're not likely to get mid-riff options like Peebee or the Qunari's rope-bondage outfits from the Inquistion DLC. More likely the furthest we'll get outfits will be reminiscent of the human and N7 multiplayer characters from ME3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOIzH6UcoW4&t=211s

In this video at 3:31, we can see that armor has a chest, helmet, gloves and boots, and in this example the glove and boot slots are empty even though Ryder is obviously not running around barefoot. This seems like it's basically the system from Inquisition, where the default armor (the "chest") can be customized with limb elements. So you can add some flair, basically, to a base space suit, and that suit will have different space-age bulges and patterns based on its original design.

Now I'm curious if they are going to let us change the armor on companions.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.

Drifter posted:

The ultimate Vanguard armor would just be like a hyper-dense titanium cylinder that you crawl into

I'd like to see Ryder in this:

Some of the early spacesuit designs here would fun too: http://www.astronautix.com/s/spacesuits.html

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MeatloafCat posted:

I'd like to see Ryder in this:

Some of the early spacesuit designs here would fun too: http://www.astronautix.com/s/spacesuits.html

If Quarians had this suit there would have been a very different fandom.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm replaying ME3 and Vanguard is still so much fun. It's great to just be a charging force of death. I also didn't notice or forgot how Shepard will give out this great yell right as he charges in someone's stupid face.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think the first time I played ME3 the beginning sequence where you're supposed to hold off the Reapers until the Normandy arrives didn't occur for like 10 minutes because it triggers when your ammo depletes and I was just repeatedly owning dudes with charge + nova.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I think the first time I played ME3 the beginning sequence where you're supposed to hold off the Reapers until the Normandy arrives didn't occur for like 10 minutes because it triggers when your ammo depletes and I was just repeatedly owning dudes with charge + nova.

It's one of the stupidest triggers in the game. I went for forty minutes charging into aliens and then insta-died to a banshee. I had to go research what I did wrong because of bad trigger design.

I also broke one of the Kai lang fights and it was just me vs a helicopter for a half hour.

What I'm saying is... Vanguard literally breaks the game. :smuggo:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Thor-Stryker posted:

It's one of the stupidest triggers in the game. I went for forty minutes charging into aliens and then insta-died to a banshee. I had to go research what I did wrong because of bad trigger design.

I also broke one of the Kai lang fights and it was just me vs a helicopter for a half hour.

What I'm saying is... Vanguard literally breaks the game. :smuggo:

Wait, do Banshees show up in the opening sequence? Thought it was only cannibals.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I did the same thing as a Sentinel. Overload+Warp baby

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Wait, do Banshees show up in the opening sequence? Thought it was only cannibals.

I thought the same thing. There's no way they do.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

They don't, not even on insanity. Maybe a modded game?

And yeah, I did pretty much the same thing, charging poo poo forever until I finally triggered the Normandy to land.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The first time you encounter a banshee is supposed to be a big deal iirc, I'd be surprised if they slipped one in to the prologue sequence.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Wait sorry, not the begining sequence, the other sequence near the end where you have to hold out while all enemy types come at you.

I didn't realize they used the same trigger type.

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 19, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm replaying ME3 and Vanguard is still so much fun. It's great to just be a charging force of death. I also didn't notice or forgot how Shepard will give out this great yell right as he charges in someone's stupid face.

FemShep has a good version of that, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Vanguard is fun for a while, but I couldn't finish my single player run as one. It's incredibly samey and gets old after a while.

Which makes it perfect for chill multiplayer runs, however