Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I got to the boss that drives on walls or something and said gently caress this game and this crab shape my hand is stuck in.

Peacewalker was fun I really should finish it BUT I CANT HAVE TWO ANALOG STICKS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

verbal enema posted:

I got to the boss that drives on walls or something and said gently caress this game and this crab shape my hand is stuck in.

Peacewalker was fun I really should finish it BUT I CANT HAVE TWO ANALOG STICKS
If you have a PS3, play the HD version!!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

homeless snail posted:

Damnit now I need a,ps3

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Or the PSP version on Vita.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Can anyone talk about what makes Puyo Puyro Tetris so well liked? I'm not a huge puzzle game person, and I never loved Tetris attack back in the day, but I did really enjoy the Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo multiplayer. I'm wondering if Puyo Puyro Tetris will be something I enjoy.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Midjack posted:

Or the PSP version on Vita.

I heard this doesn't support the 2nd stick

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Can anyone talk about what makes Puyo Puyro Tetris so well liked? I'm not a huge puzzle game person, and I never loved Tetris attack back in the day, but I did really enjoy the Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo multiplayer. I'm wondering if Puyo Puyro Tetris will be something I enjoy.
Its just 2 excellent versions of really good puzzle games, and some fun and original mashup stuff. If you don't like Tetris and/or Puyo Puyo then its not gonna change your mind.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

rabidsquid posted:

ah, i see somebody has never played a single rpg

I played every second of Witcher 3 and the expansions motherfucker. And countless others. I don't play JRPGs granted, because MGS V is the only one I've ever liked. If that's even an RPG?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

MGSV is a stealth JRPG with some light action mechanics

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Man do I love the c4 so much.

Nothing over here!
BOOM and his body goes flying past his couple of buddies watch from the doorway

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mgs5 isn't even a little bit an rpg

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I played every second of Witcher 3 and the expansions motherfucker. And countless others. I don't play JRPGs granted, because MGS V is the only one I've ever liked. If that's even an RPG?

MGSV is about as far from an RPG as you can get, but it's definitely got some strategy elements in there, what with fultoning everything in sight and re-running missions with different loadouts. But there's not really a ton in the way of cumulative stat updates, just paying for stuff you had to grind for to get marginally better st-gently caress, that kinda IS a little RPG-ish.

A JRPG, though, it most definitely is not. Hooboy do you know a JRPG when you come across it. Thankfully, the breadth is so wide within even that tiny sub-genre that I would probably call Yakuza an RPG (albeit a beat-'em-up RPG) before I called MGSV one. It may have had a neutered ending, but TPP is still an absolutely sublime stealth experience that for once doesn't penalize you when things go to poo poo because you missed marking some random mook that was taking a poo poo while you were tagging people from afar after a perfectly ghost-like 15 minutes of sneaking around.

Whatever the gently caress Death Stranding is, it's almost certainly going to play incredibly well. And it'll look better than 99% of games out there (that other 1% being anything Santa Monica or Naughty Dog make).

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

mgs5 isn't even a little bit an rpg

Then explain all the numbers and how you're constantly adding members to your party

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I play the role of Solid Snake. Every morning, right after I wake up and open palm slam a bluray into my PS4. Its Metal Gear Solid V and right then and there I start doing the moves alongside the main character

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
MGSV is literally Suikoden is what we're saying.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

homeless snail posted:

I play the role of Solid Snake. Every morning, right after I wake up and open palm slam a bluray into my PS4. Its Metal Gear Solid V and right then and there I start doing the moves alongside the main character

I will never, ever get tired of this reference, and I thank you for helping to close out what was a pretty tough day with some hearty guffaws.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

MGSV is the best management sim of 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

verbal enema posted:

Phantom Pain isn't finished properly?

Don't spoil nothing still 3℅ in

It's a great game but about halfway through it you'll start to notice all the gaps where they didn't complete massive chunks of the plot. Sort of like Xenogears, they basically ran out of time/budget and you get a huge amount of padding and the game's story is literally half-baked. Like half the story just straight up isn't there and it's very obvious in what ways when you finish the game. Fortunately it's a blast to play, but with so little going on with the characters compared to previous games you might get bored before finishing it. Either way I don't regret playing it. The PSP games give you a bunch of tapes to listen to because they're portable games meant to be played in quick bursts so you can get the most detailed info about the characters and story at your leisure, but here it's very clearly done because they just straight up didn't manage themselves well enough to implement everything in the game itself.

There's this one plot-dump cutscene towards the end though, AAHAHAHAHA I still can't believe that made it in. I mean I know MGS is all about long winded speeches and that's fine but the circumstances and "direction" of the scene is like unreal in how stupid and bad and excruciatingly long it feels.

I my real complaint with the game though is the level design. There's basically three or four missions that are awesome and the rest of it just like, here's a flat space with some small buildings. But the guard AI is also much much less effective than it was in the demo prequel game Ground Zeroes, so a lot of it ends up being very easy because of that lack of vertical space and complexity in almost every outpost in the game.

Still I don't regret playing it at all because the controls and the engine is just that awesome. But man if any game REALLY needed an upgraded re-release with some extra bits in it it was this one, and yet it's the only MGS game to not receive one.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

SamBishop posted:

I will never, ever get tired of this reference, and I thank you for helping to close out what was a pretty tough day with some hearty guffaws.

but he didn't type it in all caps!!!

VVVV Thank you.

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 18, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

homeless snail posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A DISK INTO THE PS4. ITS METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, BIG "VENOM 'PUNISHED' SNAKE" BOSS. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME SKULLS BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY BROKE INTO THE PLANETS MOST DANGEROUS PRISON. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Lakbay posted:

but he didn't type it in all caps!!!

VVVV Thank you.

You're right. Day ruined once again...

Neo Rasa posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A DISK INTO THE PS4. ITS METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, BIG "VENOM 'PUNISHED' SNAKE" BOSS. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME SKULLS BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY BROKE INTO THE PLANETS MOST DANGEROUS PRISON. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

...AND THEN IT COMES RACING BACK INTO HAPPY TERRITORY.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Man, I don't know what the hell I am doing or what this is but this Nier: Auromata demo is pretty kickass. Is it already out in Japan and is it any good?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Winkie01 posted:

Man, I don't know what the hell I am doing or what this is but this Nier: Auromata demo is pretty kickass. Is it already out in Japan and is it any good?

Japan release is February.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

MGSV is an RPG because FFXV is an RPG.

You have a dog
A prominent female character is a teenage sex drawing
Doing side missions requires a strange amount of loading
Basically everything is gibberish
Robots
You can climb on like this one wall
In one you can ride a chicken and in the other you Fulton sheep and stuff
If you are picturing either right now let me guess you're running through a brown or green field to get around a mountain for...something on the mini map

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

SLOSifl posted:

For me, MGSV is exactly like FFXV. I could list out complaints all day but instead spend all day playing the game. I really like MGSV and the ending was just a weird scene in an open world murder sim, or some incomprehensible movie between "overlevelled deathboyzz adventures" in FF.

Except FFXV is charming, beautiful, and likable where MGS5 is dismal, gross, and creepy.

MGS5 is a dogshit mgs game with a smooth framerate. The horse-armor is pretty cool tho :coolfish:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

verbal enema posted:

I heard this doesn't support the 2nd stick

You've heard a load of poo poo. You can assign the face buttons to the second stick.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

There's this one plot-dump cutscene towards the end though, AAHAHAHAHA I still can't believe that made it in. I mean I know MGS is all about long winded speeches and that's fine but the circumstances and "direction" of the scene is like unreal in how stupid and bad and excruciatingly long it feels.

Do you mean when you replay the beginning?

Because hoo-boy, once was enough. Or is there another scene I'm forgetting?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Do you mean when you replay the beginning?

Because hoo-boy, once was enough. Or is there another scene I'm forgetting?

I assume he's talking about the jeep ride

tho you can skip that entirely, unlike what you're talking about, since it's a cutscene

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
D-Walker is my friend and I love him.

I only bought mgsv to spite Mad Max for not having invert x in its camera options. I was pleased with what I got. I'd never played a subsistence mgs or finished Peace Walker but was able to connect most of the dots of the characters by playing ground zeroes while the main game downloaded. I didn't care that the story was stupid and half there because all of them have stupid stories. The stories are only better when they're stupider (see revengeance). It has what the game journalists are calling a 'great gameplay loop'.

Paz's subplot and Quiet are both embarrassing but Cid seems like just a couple steps up from that. I'd get the game and find out for myself but I'm more interested in Gravity Rush, a game where you spend 99% of your time staring between a young girl's legs in her pretty outfits as she zips around.

It looks like Alloy isn't going to be totally objectified in Horizon which is cool, but if they leave out invert x then I'll just spend my time with 2B's beautifully rendered robot butthole instead.

What are people's favorite PlayStation centric podcast/s? I think I like IGN's current podcast better than the one that the first guys went on to do for themselves but I'm hoping there might be something better.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

I assume he's talking about the jeep ride

tho you can skip that entirely, unlike what you're talking about, since it's a cutscene

Ah, that's right. Yeah, that's a must skip for future runs.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Wandle Cax posted:

You've heard a load of poo poo. You can assign the face buttons to the second stick.

Yessssssss

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I give MGS 5 poo poo all of the time but it's definetly not a bad buy. I had good fun with it for most of the 60 hours I played with it. It's just so disappointing as an MGS game and it's so clearly not finished.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's a really good game with a really barebones story. I didn't like the repeat missions but there's a bunch of content before you ever get that far so it doesn't feel like padding

I don't think it's disappointing as a game at all but I do think they took the backlash from the mgs4 cutscenes to heart a little too much. mechanically, it's the most satisfying stealth game I've ever played

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

SamBishop posted:

Thankfully, the breadth is so wide within even that tiny sub-genre that I would probably call Yakuza an RPG (albeit a beat-'em-up RPG)

acksplode posted:

Then explain all the numbers and how you're constantly adding members to your party

https://twitter.com/LennyReviews/status/821224344089149440

these two posts are really great together after you watch this short clip

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Next week can't come soon enough. :allears:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Will I have needed to play any of the other Yakuza games to know what's going on in Zero?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Will I have needed to play any of the other Yakuza games to know what's going on in Zero?

Nope. Yakuza 0 is a prequel to everything but it'll introduce you to characters that are seen in later games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mechafunkzilla posted:

All of the games have some kind of backstory review video or something, as well as character descriptions and stuff.

Edit: more in general to first time Yakuza related questions, just think of the answer that will cause you to try the game and imagine I said that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, every Yakuza game recaps all the relevant plot points of the previous ones so you can jump in wherever if you don't wanna play a million Yakuza games, I mean you should but I won't hold it against you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

https://twitter.com/LennyReviews/status/821224344089149440

these two posts are really great together after you watch this short clip

Yakuza kind of looks like those chinese CGI reenactments of current events.