Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STFU Pumpkinhead
Jun 25, 2000

ullerrm posted:

This old post (you'll need archives) talks about it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3609703&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=169#post427578345

If you don't have archives, Google has a cached copy. Search for "ullerrm fitting comet ab" and it'll be about halfway down the page.

How do you feel about the current state of the wiki?

More importantly, how much is a fair bribe for a Flanders-approved fit? I need Broadsword & Devoter for small gang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

STFU Pumpkinhead posted:

How do you feel about the current state of the wiki?

More importantly, how much is a fair bribe for a Flanders-approved fit? I need Broadsword & Devoter for small gang.

Oh, gods. I pounded on the table about the state of the wiki for months in illum. At one point I even started prototyping a dedicated app on Heroku for looking up ship fittings / doctrines to use instead of the wiki, which shamed them into working on it for a little bit, but it never went anywhere.

After enough months of trying, I eventually stopped wasting my breath on the brick wall.

--

Re: small gang HICs, it is going to hinge on what type of small gang it is. For ex:

* If it's a nano-gang (say, cerbs/orthrii) trying to zoom around and infinipoint poo poo and kill it at a distance, then you're gonna want nanos, a cap battery to keep yourself close-to-permarunning, and you don't really care about the weapons.

* If it's a small tanky gang trying to brawl, then you're going to care a little more about tank and weapons, and utility (webs, sebos for anti-CD, etc.).

So, what kind of small gang are we talking?

Kalthor
Feb 7, 2014
For the people living in spooky wormholes - what's the ship/fit of choice for scanning down wormhole chains?

I've been using a Covert Ops Helios loaded with various Scan arrays which seems to work but I would love to know what the professionals are using. :shobon:

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Kalthor posted:

For the people living in spooky wormholes - what's the ship/fit of choice for scanning down wormhole chains?

I've been using a Covert Ops Helios loaded with various Scan arrays which seems to work but I would love to know what the professionals are using. :shobon:

Any of the T2 CovOps ships work. If you're dedicated directly to scanning wormholes and nothing else, that's the ship you'd want to use, as it can slip into frigate-only holes and gets places really quickly.

If you want to do a bit of light fighting, I have a combat Astero that I use when I want go to find a fight with, say, a lone interdictor camping a pipe.

code:
[Astero, Injected Dual Rep]

Small Ancillary Armor Repairer, Nanite Repair Paste
Damage Control II
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Small Armor Repairer II

1MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Small Capacitor Booster II, Navy Cap Booster 400
Warp Scrambler II
5MN Quad LiF Restrained Microwarpdrive

Core Probe Launcher II, Sisters Core Scanner Probe
Covert Ops Cloaking Device II

Small Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Small Ancillary Current Router II
Small Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer II

Hobgoblin II x5
Acolyte II x5
Warrior II x5

Cargo Scanner II x1
Standard Exile Booster x1
Nanite Repair Paste x52
Sisters Core Scanner Probe x8
Relic Analyzer II x1
Data Analyzer II x1
Navy Cap Booster 400 x10
I keep a Mobile Depot and explorer refit in the cargo in case a juicy site comes up on scan.

I know some people use T3s to do scanning, but the only fit I know is a shitload of medium smartbombs in the highs so you can blow away covops without having to lock and decloak.

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
or do 4 warp stabs in the bottom so you don't lose a 70m isk scanning ship.

Kalthor
Feb 7, 2014

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Any of the T2 CovOps ships work. If you're dedicated directly to scanning wormholes and nothing else, that's the ship you'd want to use, as it can slip into frigate-only holes and gets places really quickly.

If you want to do a bit of light fighting, I have a combat Astero that I use when I want go to find a fight with, say, a lone interdictor camping a pipe.

Cheers :) I normally just use those ships for mapping out wormhole chains , but I do come across the odd interdictor/frigate camping a hole occasionally so I will check out that combat Astero.

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

I know some people use T3s to do scanning, but the only fit I know is a shitload of medium smartbombs in the highs so you can blow away covops without having to lock and decloak.

Is that the "dick virus" fit? I've only seen a Proteus version of it, and it makes short work of explorers while they're hacking.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

So I'm curious, what's the current state of the CFC? If we no longer hold Dek, what are we doing?

Did we lose the game?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

I keep a Mobile Depot and explorer refit in the cargo in case a juicy site comes up on scan.

I occasionally use a T3C to scan, mostly because of the nullification sub. It's useful for dealing with bubble traps. Also it can provide tackle on say a heavier ship like a marauder or other site runner and could be reconfigured into a cyno ship if needed.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

various cheeses posted:

So I'm curious, what's the current state of the CFC? If we no longer hold Dek, what are we doing?

Did we lose the game?

We're all in Delve, making a mockery of Highsec by flexing our unironic Drone mining Rorqual backbone.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

various cheeses posted:

Did we lose the game?

It'll be tricky to answer this and still stay in the spirit of the chill thread, but I'll try.

At a certain point, an isk-wealthy individual decided to enlist nearly every PvP entity in the game as mercenaries to attack the North, from multiple different directions. Vale, Fade, and Pure Blind were simultaneously attacked, putting pressure on the relatively weak members of the CFC, and it cracked.

Some of the members of the CFC failcascaded (i.e. SMA), some left the CFC to escape the war and reinvented themselves elsewhere (i.e. RZR and FCON), and one member of the CFC joined the attacking side in exchange for promises that their space would be spared (i.e. CO2).

The surviving members of the CFC -- GSF, TNT, GENTS, EXE, and INIT -- managed to evac from Dek without significant losses, and reorganized in lowsec. Afterwards, GSF, TNT, and GENTS moved to Delve and rebuilt themselves, and they've lived there ever since. EXE and INIT stayed up north, living in the northeastern border regions near Fountain.

Most of the North is now rental space, managed by either Darkness or PL/NC.

In the time that's passed since we lost the North, numerous game mechanics have been added that actually make Delve pretty damned awesome (Rorqual rebalance, increased jump ranges for most capitals, citadels), and I honestly think we're happier here these days.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 18, 2017

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Thanks for the writeup. Holy poo poo I thought we were invincible when I quit in 2015 or 2016 (I forget tbh).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Delve actually had the most ore mined in it of any region in the game in December. I'm not joking.

It's also driving down Bhaal prices and support pilots everywhere are happy.

Well, unless you fly logi or something like that :unsmigghh:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

iospace posted:

Delve actually had the most ore mined in it of any region in the game in December. I'm not joking.

that number didnt account for rorquals iirc

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Yep, the economic report numbers do not include any ore mined by the Rorqual superdrones. I wouldn't be surprised if we and the Russians were mining more than the rest of the game combined.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

ullerrm posted:

Yep, the economic report numbers do not include any ore mined by the Rorqual superdrones. I wouldn't be surprised if we and the Russians were mining more than the rest of the game combined.

Do you mine more than the PL dudes in TRKN?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

ullerrm posted:

I honestly think we're happier here these days.

delve is goons

anime is cartoons

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

that number didnt account for rorquals iirc

Yeah, I'm aware. It's still crazy to think that before that, goons outmined the rest of space.

Sadly they won't release the w-space numbers, given they want to keep it all mysterious and poo poo.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Double post, but a good one: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=6800507#post6800507

:peanut:

(for the too lazy to click: NPC insurance in citadels coming!)

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

iospace posted:

bhaals are so cheap that I'm considering getting a few of them and going out and solo roaming black rise (death to the thrasher/talwar/corax menace)

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

It would be cooler is there was a player driven insurance where payments are sent to Corp/alliance wallet and paid out from there. Could set it to check spcefically fits to do an automated Srp. Owning for/alliance could set premium rate and payout rate.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

The Slack Lagoon posted:

It would be cooler is there was a player driven insurance where payments are sent to Corp/alliance wallet and paid out from there. Could set it to check spcefically fits to do an automated Srp. Owning for/alliance could set premium rate and payout rate.

it would also be cool if there wasn't rubber banding and the current "stuck in traffic control for 169 seconds" lag, but that's too much to ask for as well

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Landsknecht posted:

it would also be cool if there wasn't rubber banding and the current "stuck in traffic control for 169 seconds" lag, but that's too much to ask for as well

It would be cool if people understood that they are A. aware of it, B. working on it, and C. have more than just one team of people working on the game, but of course, that's too much to ask of some people. It's not like a game like Eve is as simple as they come :rolleyes: (that's the developer side of me talking there). They also requested more info from people (yes reddit, but CCP post). Anyway.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

They did mention something about corp run insurance or something. So who knows if that's that or what they have in stations right now.

e: apologies for the snark in the chill thread, the whole "OH, WHY AREN'T THEY FIXING THIS BUT DOING THIS" all while not reporting it is one of my biggest pet peeves as a developer.

iospace fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 18, 2017

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
if you don't play your own game as a dev you shouldn't be a guy who makes decisions on what to do

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

if you don't play your own game as a dev you shouldn't be a guy who makes decisions on what to do

imo CCP should ban hisec ganking becasue it can hurt someone's feelings

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Landsknecht posted:

imo CCP should ban hisec ganking becasue it can hurt someone's feelings

Same, but all pvp.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
What are the busy lowsec regions besides cal/gal mil? Is amarr/min faction warfare similar to black rise/placid?

Lowsec is kinda cool in an elite-pvp meta circlejerk kind of way

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Okay maybe I'm just easily amused, but this is mezmerizing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBJUiCHdmCc

It's fun to watch big packages get built and speculate as to what they might be.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

iospace posted:

They did mention something about corp run insurance or something. So who knows if that's that or what they have in stations right now.

The way they described this it was pretty clearly the existing corp insurance (which I'm not sure anyone ever uses and I don't even know how it works).

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

Okay maybe I'm just easily amused, but this is mezmerizing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBJUiCHdmCc

It's fun to watch big packages get built and speculate as to what they might be.

I'm still amused that significant parts of the Eve codebase are named after Destiny's Child.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

various cheeses posted:

Thanks for the writeup. Holy poo poo I thought we were invincible when I quit in 2015 or 2016 (I forget tbh).

We stopped being invincible when jump fatigue went in because it became much easier to hit us from multiple directions while not allowing us to do the whole "Power at a point" thing. That was the nail, Fozziesov just kinda hammered the nail down. Mainly because any given 10 man corp can attack sov, but only the owning corp can defend.

This is very coalition limiting and it encourages you to cannibalize your coalition partners to pack as many combat capable bodies into the main alliance as you can.

We could do a functional split the way a lot of other nullsec alliances do (I.e. pack all of our industry dudes into alt alliances and drag all the combat fliers from the coalition into the main alliance) but that goes against our core values really.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

We stopped being invincible when jump fatigue went in because it became much easier to hit us from multiple directions while not allowing us to do the whole "Power at a point" thing. That was the nail, Fozziesov just kinda hammered the nail down. Mainly because any given 10 man corp can attack sov, but only the owning corp can defend.

This is very coalition limiting and it encourages you to cannibalize your coalition partners to pack as many combat capable bodies into the main alliance as you can.

We could do a functional split the way a lot of other nullsec alliances do (I.e. pack all of our industry dudes into alt alliances and drag all the combat fliers from the coalition into the main alliance) but that goes against our core values really.

space is controlled in a different way now

the CFC could've held PB/Fade/Dek/some of Tribute, if you were basing out of somewhere like KQK/NPC PB

now that you can gate supers there is a bit more route planning involved, but holding 3 or 4 regions, especially when they're all reachable from once central staging point, is pretty easy

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Oh yeah jump fatigue. gently caress that mechanic, pretty much reason #1 why I quit.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

various cheeses posted:

Oh yeah jump fatigue. gently caress that mechanic, pretty much reason #1 why I quit.

Wormhole space is much better now though because of citadels

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

various cheeses posted:

pretty much why eve died

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

iospace posted:

Wormhole space is much better now though because of citadels

Wait like I could dock my autism chariots in a wormhole?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Look, you all have valid reasons for why Alliance X loses Region Y but when it comes down to it if you aren't using and occupying the space you're going to lose it pretty quickly. It's exactly the mechanic everyone asked for. It may not be implemented all that perfectly but if no one is living there, and you all know there were a dearth of systems in each region the CFC held, then you shouldn't be surprised that Joe Schmoe and his 10 member corp who can cap it in 30 minutes takes that completely unused system.

Either live in the space you own, or don't own it. It was hubris to own 200 systems and expect to defend them all with a mindset that was already made outdated by game mechanics changes months before it happened. We either didn't think ahead, or we overestimated our abilities; and with the perfect storm of having someone pay literally everyone to take us out--it shouldn't have been a surprise. It wasn't Fozzy's fault, it wasn't the fault of the trollceptors, etc., it was our own hubris. Plain and simple. We paid for it. Now we know better. I'm confident we won't make the mistake again with Delve and seeing as how we are seriously utilizing the space it probably won't fall any time soon, or nearly as easy. We jam packed it with everyone in the alliance now.
[
Not only that, but capital systems have been strategically redistributed amongst member corps so we can avoid having important choke points fall so fast. I think Deklein had only two or three? Delve has one in every constellation.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 19, 2017

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

various cheeses posted:

Sure can. Even have local markets and soon we will have ship insurance too.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

dialhforhero posted:

Either live in the space you own, or don't own it.

Please name a single other alliance that uses their space more than GSF. Provi is probably the closest I can think of, but even they aren't on our level. This is a bad argument.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

frozenphil posted:

Please name a single other alliance that uses their space more than GSF. Provi is probably the closest I can think of, but even they aren't on our level. This is a bad argument.

Again, I said live in the space you own.

You're talking about how we utilize the space we actually occupy (aka--active pilots who undock and do a thing in this system, aka live in). Utilization is different. However, it still further supports my point. We are actually living in that space and we own it, not just letting it sit around with our flag on it helping our dicks grow with a constant local pop of 0.

You could use the poo poo out of 3 systems and it wouldn't take much to surpass 'any other alliance' but if you own 20 systems what's the point of the other 17? You sure as gently caress shouldn't be surprised if they fall quickly to a group that wants them. You know what probably won't fall quickly though? The 3 systems you actually live in and use.

To further illustrate my point: that's why we jam packed Delve. The Imperium is only Delve. We own no other regions. We probably won't own any other regions (for a long time). No point, it would be too hard to defend. Cram as many as you can in one region, up the ADMs as much as possible, encourage everyone to live in multiple systems, and have a good stager system with a JB network and you'll keep the region. It's not hard.

Live in the space you own.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

various cheeses posted:

Yup! It's probably the biggest quality of life improvement to them since twin c4 statics

• Locked thread