Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Prosperity gospel is just Calvinism taken to its logical extreme.

Though I don't think Calvin would agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

We're obviously getting completely off topic here, but one of the main tenants of Calvinism is that man is totally depraved and unable to do anything to obtain salvation within their own power. Another tenant is that God alone decides who He will bless and in what fashion.

Prosperity Gospel boils down to that people are blessed by God based on their level of faith, and when they aren't blessed it's because they don't believe enough.

One puts the blessing into the hands of God and His grace alone. The other puts the burden on the person to build up enough good will to receive the blessing. I honestly cannot see how these two don't contradict each other.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
Also, prosperity gospel stuff emerged from the Southern Baptist and Pentecostal traditions, which are 100% theologically opposed to almost every important tenet of Calvinism.
There's no "there" there.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Calvinism and Prosperity Gospel converge in so far as that they both frequently treat wealth and happiness as divine favour, while poverty is seen a sign that you're not part of faithful. There are legitimate theological differences between the denominations, but both are used by the powerful to justify their superior station in life.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Calvinism and Prosperity Gospel converge in so far as that they both frequently treat wealth and happiness as divine favour, while poverty is seen a sign that you're not part of faithful. There are legitimate theological differences between the denominations, but both are used by the powerful to justify their superior station in life.

That is how I have experienced it, I have legit never heard the believe in god harder line of thought.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Calvinist believe that everything is preordained by an all knowing all powerful God and there is nothing you can do to change anything since you're only following your fate blindly.

Prosperity gospel is the idea that God is Santa Clause and if you are good he will give you nice things.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

They converge on a special few blessed by God, who are recognized by their good works/prosperity.

Anyvay, Bob Odenkirk is in a new Netflix produced movie that mixes the plot of a rom-com with noir: http://www.indiewire.com/2017/01/girlfriends-day-trailer-bob-odenkirk-netflix-comedy-amber-tamblyn-1201769486/

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yes, exactly. I said "or" not "and". Both feed into modern Evangelism, despite the two traditions diverging pretty drastically.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yes, exactly. I said "or" not "and". Both feed into modern Evangelism, despite the two traditions diverging pretty drastically.

Exactly - you could make the same exact case for how American Catholicism slowly morphed from a social justice-oriented faith to another face of 'the silent majority' and vehicle for moral crusaders who might as well be Evangelicals.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

Exactly - you could make the same exact case for how American Catholicism slowly morphed from a social justice-oriented faith to another face of 'the silent majority' and vehicle for moral crusaders who might as well be Evangelicals.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Calvinist believe that everything is preordained by an all knowing all powerful God and there is nothing you can do to change anything since you're only following your fate blindly.

"Sinners In The Hands Of An Angry God" for example didn't revive Puritanism but did help birth a new evangelical tradition. The religious nationalism of Mormonism and the communitarian nature of AME churches couldn't be more different, yet both also led quite comfortably to megachurches.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm sorry for the whole derail, but thanks for clarifying that. I'd argue that Calvinism is a major minority in most mainstream Christianity in America, but I get the point you're making now.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

WB wants to do Attack on Titan

quote:

Warner Bros. is negotiating to get the feature rights for the Japanese manga IP Attack on Titan, which was written and illustrated by Hajime Isayama and has been churned out for both TV and films in Japan. The project is for its Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them producer David Heyman.

http://deadline.com/2017/01/attack-on-titan-u-s-movie-warner-bros-producer-david-heyman-1201888133/

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Can't be worse than the Japanese movie that already came out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

zandert33 posted:

I'm sorry for the whole derail, but thanks for clarifying that. I'd argue that Calvinism is a major minority in most mainstream Christianity in America, but I get the point you're making now.

It's really important insofar as where it all began in America, even though you're more likely to meet a Quaker than an avowed Calvinist.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

zandert33 posted:

I know it's your thing to do the whole death of the author thing, but I'd like some proof from the film that shows God as evil. Gibson does hate God at one point, but then clearly has a change of heart at the end. I also find it hard to believe that Gibson would view the movie (or play his character) in this way when he believes the complete opposite in his personal life.

Who cares about Gibson?

The point is in Shyamalan's misunderstood cameo. The creator (instigator) of the narrative has a dual nature: God is the truck that destroyed Gibson's wife, and God is the impotent, suffering brown dude.

In Lacanian terms, we're talking about The Other (God) versus The Other Of The Other (the figure central to so many conspiracy theories - including alien abduction and satanic abuse theories).

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

zandert33 posted:

Can't be worse than the Japanese movie that already came out.

I tried to watch that one twice on flights to and from Japan and fell asleep both times. And I almost never sleep on planes!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Attack on Titan is gross and I don't like the idea of movies about people being eaten whole.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
The amount of bizarre hoops AoT has to jump through to make its setting are astonishing

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The amount of bizarre hoops AoT has to jump through to make its setting are astonishing

That's a trend I see with a lot of anime and it just gets tedious.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Guillermo del Toro has to direct this.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope they remember that Mikasa is Asian.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Half asian! Her dad is European.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That sounds like a movie I'd see with friends as an excuse to talk poo poo in a mcdonald's car park afterwards.

gotta fly around and cut up some BIG DUDES

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

well why not posted:

That sounds like a movie I'd see with friends as an excuse to talk poo poo in a mcdonald's car park afterwards.

gotta fly around and cut up some BIG DUDES

The game adaptation is apparently pretty good.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Don't worry, white men still can't jump, but expect some Trump supporters to get angry anyway...

quote:

“Black-ish” creator Kenya Barris will develop a movie remake of the 1990s sports comedy “White Men Can’t Jump,” which will be produced by Los Angeles Clippers star Blake Griffin and Carolina Panthers All-Pro lineman Ryan Kalil.

http://www.thewrap.com/black-ish-creator-blake-griffin-remake-white-men-cant-jump/

Also I hope this influences a whole series of random films bankrolled by athletic stars, because they will be terrible more often than not and you know some of them will be ridiculous vanity projects.

The MSJ posted:

I hope they remember that Mikasa is Asian.

I'm awaiting the most awful hot takes about whitewashing in that film written by people who didn't even bother to do a basic google search.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The concept of AoT is pretty sweet in terms of sheer 'holy gently caress!' but the anime suffers from being massively stereotypical with its characters and the whiny emo protagonist. That and insane amounts of filler in comparison to action. I watched it because it was hyped to gently caress by anime nerds so I gave it a chance. I watched the entire series of 25 episodes and I swear the recap clips on the front of the later episodes are 5+ minutes. There's maybe 25 minutes of action in the entire series.

So there's a chance for greatness but I doubt it'll happen, giants kicking the gently caress out of enormous walls and rampaging through a city eating people is pretty intense.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

At the nadir of the anime they spend an entire episode(?) in a cloud of smoke that lasts about 30 seconds. The amount of material they adapted was painfully not suited to 26.

Eren's emasculation complex is great tho.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I could see Aubrey Plaza in the Rosie Perez role. I can already see them going there with it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

CelticPredator posted:

Attack on Titan is gross and I don't like the idea of movies about people being eaten whole.

quote:

I Think My GM Wants to Eat Me

Alright, I know the title might turn you off, but I'm really worried and I was hoping I could get some advice. We've been meeting for Star Wars biweekly for about a few months so far and everything's been going really well! We blew up a Star Destroyer, did some reconnaissance on Hoth before the big battle and hunted down and revealed an imperial spy on the base on Yavin. That kind of stuff. Really good character stuff going on in between. The GM's a real good friend of mine and I've known him for a long time. But things got really weird after our last game. I had a thing going on before the game and I showed up a little late. Like 20 minutes or so by my reckoning. Everyone filled me in on what had gone on and we kept playing like usual. But then, in the game we got an urgent message to meet with a Hutt boss who wanted to make a deal with the rebellion. It was kind of out of left field but we figured we were probably going to get something good out of pursuing this quest line so we went.

Obviously, it was a trap and the Hutt betrayed us and was trying to sell us out to the ISB. After a short battle we all got captured and the other player characters were stuck in a floating repulsor harness. Then the Hutt character proceeded to eat my character. Like I didn't get to roll for anything or nothing. That would've been weird enough if he didn't spend like 3 whole minutes of uninterrupted description about how the Hutt's digestive system was squeezing down against me. The GM also had an orange in his hand that he was squeezing as he talked about it. There was a small cut into the orange which caused the juices to wrap around his hand while he very specifically described the Hutt gumming through my character.

It got to a point where I had to excuse myself and go to the bathroom. I went and just sort of sat there for a while wondering what the hell was going on. After the game, the GM had somewhere he needed to go, which was fine because it would've been really uncomfortable for me to broach the subject with him.

After that, I really didn't feel like going back to the game. I was really uncomfortable, I didn't have a good time, and I just didn't wanna deal with any more weirdness, so I made up some excuse and quit the game. That would have been okay, and I could have just chalked it up to an incompatibility in playing style, but I see him regularly and things have changed between us. I see him around campus at the school I go to and I wave at him to be friendly and all that, but he just gives me this stare. At first, I wasn't sure what he was trying to convey, but I thought about the game, and I realized it was exactly like the look of hunger that he described the Hutt having before he jammed my character into his mouth. I eventually began to wave at him less and less, but he kept giving me that stare. Recently, he's begun carrying a bag of potato chips around with him, and as soon as he sees me, he just pulls one out, looks at me, then the potato chip, and just slowly slips it into his mouth, not even chewing. He just crushes the chip with his gums, getting it all over his face. It's disgusting. I don't even talk to him anymore, but I sometimes get texts from him about coming back to play, with scheduled times and everything. The weird thing is though, I asked my other friends who were in the game if they were still playing, and they said that the campaign ended a while ago.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The concept of AoT is pretty sweet in terms of sheer 'holy gently caress!' but the anime suffers from being massively stereotypical with its characters and the whiny emo protagonist. That and insane amounts of filler in comparison to action. I watched it because it was hyped to gently caress by anime nerds so I gave it a chance. I watched the entire series of 25 episodes and I swear the recap clips on the front of the later episodes are 5+ minutes. There's maybe 25 minutes of action in the entire series.

So there's a chance for greatness but I doubt it'll happen, giants kicking the gently caress out of enormous walls and rampaging through a city eating people is pretty intense.

There's a reason why every piece of advertising and game focuses on the attack on the city that happens at the very start of the series

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

So is AoT breeding a whole generation of vore kids?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

That anime adaptation was really disappointing but also never stood a chance of being good. The comic had enough material for maybe 12 episodes but they went and made 25 off of what they had. It turned a fairly fast paced comic in which characters realize things at the same time as the audience into a boring, stretched out mess where everyone needed things constantly explained to them so they could fill time. If they'd waited a few years (the comic only comes out once a month) it'd have had a much better chance of being good.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's kinda weird to me no American media company has tried the same thing they do with manga / anime, put out a television show that's a straight up adaptation of an ongoing monthly comic.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Walking Dead, also you could argue Game of Thrones is essentially the same thing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I thought those differed significantly from source material, at least in walking deads case.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, Walking Dead is probably the closest and it's not quite there. You don't really see 1:1 comic to TV adaptations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I don't think you'd find a 1:1 manga to anime adaptation either, at least not of an ongoing series.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TTBF posted:

I don't think you'd find a 1:1 manga to anime adaptation either, at least not of an ongoing series.

Well, I mean more in the sense that no major plot details are changed. Like, if you compare the Walking Dead comic to the show, the broad strokes are the same but a lot of the specifics of events are different between the two. Not to mention stuff like Rick still having both of his arms in the show.

Meanwhile, the One Piece anime (for example) adds filler and stretches out scenes, but is largely a very faithful adaptation of the One Piece manga. Stuff typically happens in both in the same way.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Is it probably because american tv followed the series format until recently? it seem more based on a conceit, than a story?

You don't new products if the same one works for a decade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Meanwhile, the One Piece anime (for example) adds filler and stretches out scenes, but is largely a very faithful adaptation of the One Piece manga. Stuff typically happens in both in the same way.

So much loving filler, I played and beat the video game and liked the characters so I tried to watch the anime, it's like four episodes to get through what was the tutorial level in the game.

• Locked thread