Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

By not limiting themselves based on what is considered distasteful.
I still have yet to find a thing this show's done that's really distasteful.

Like, distasteful is when the male protagonist does something terrible to a barely-developed woman in your art, and then he's treated by the art as being right and correct and just. That's offensive.

Horrible people obviously being horribly in the wrong all the time, and the show being very clear about how they're terrible people and not to be emulated? Like, if I had a twelve-yeart-old, I'd let them watch Sunny.

Obviously everybody's going to have their own personal line, but there's huge loving difference between portraying behavior and condoning it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
According to his Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hornsby Cricket is actually an executive producer of this show, which makes his neck deep involvement all the more insane. There are no bad Cricket moments in the show.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I can't wait for Calaveron to watch "The D.E.N.N.I.S. System." As good as "The Gang Goes to the Water Park" was at putting everything together in an ending gag, that episode did it best.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
The gang gets held hostage is loving amazing; even though Dee pumps one of the shotguns despite their *ahem* condition

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Sjs00 posted:

The gang gets held hostage is loving amazing; even though Dee pumps one of the shotguns despite their *ahem* condition

Immersion ruined

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

This is incorrect fat mac is the best season.

fat mac is loving art.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Mac getting fat just so they can do jokes about him being fat is an amazing commitment to being funny.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

According to his Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hornsby Cricket is actually an executive producer of this show, which makes his neck deep involvement all the more insane. There are no bad Cricket moments in the show.

Cricks started out as a writer (his first credit was for "The Gang Runs for Office", which would make me give him a full-time writing job strictly for Dennis' speech alone) and worked his way up to producer credit.

(Also, his wife is the only spouse of the Gang that hasn't appeared on the show or in a show-related capacity: I say this because Rhea Perlman played the pianist in the live tour of The Nightman Cometh but hasn't been in an episode. Hopefully now that Bones is mercifully ending she'll make a cameo.)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I marathoned the whole series for the first time just before season twelve hit, so I'm all caught up. It feels insane that Cricket is involved in the writing. The things they do to that character are just grotesque. :psyduck:

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Troy Queef posted:

(Also, his wife is the only spouse of the Gang that hasn't appeared on the show or in a show-related capacity: I say this because Rhea Perlman played the pianist in the live tour of The Nightman Cometh but hasn't been in an episode. Hopefully now that Bones is mercifully ending she'll make a cameo.)

Rhea also had a line in a promo video they made:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEFPZWK4ElE

Crashbee fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 18, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Crashbee posted:

Rhea also had a line in a promo video they made:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEFPZWK4ElE

This is one of the best and most hosed up things they've ever made, and that's high praise because they've made some pretty great/hosed up stuff.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

kingcom posted:

He's also a writer on the show so makes sense that he wants to get real weird with it.

He just had to make it so sexy.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Hips and nips, otherwise he's not eating.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Powershift posted:

fat mac is loving art.

RIP Fat Mac too beautiful for this world :shobon:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm still disappointed Big Mac didn't take.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm still disappointed Big Mac didn't take.

Apparently Rob McElhenney wanted to not only stay fat for the role, but get even fatter. He only decided against it when a doctor strongly advised him to stop because he was giving himself some serious health problems that could lead to an early death.

Rob McElhenney is a man who is very dedicated to his craft.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
He also wanted the entire cast to beef up for season 7, they politely declined.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

emanresu tnuocca posted:

They probably thought he was joking at first and then: BOOM! Fat Mac.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

And he wanted DeVito to lose a lot of weight as well.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Powershift posted:

fat mac is loving art.

The garbage bag full of chimichangas is the final touch that elevates Fat Mac from mere art to the realm of the sublime.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
People will look at you funny if you try to give them chimichangas out of a trash bag, even on halloween

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

YOURE TURNING INTO A CHIMICHONGA

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

drunken officeparty posted:

YOURE TURNING INTO A CHIMICHONGA

Do you have any such certificate?

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
hey I think tonight's episode is gonna be real good

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I started watching Westworld and I can't unsee Jimmi Simpson as Liam McPoyle.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I started watching Westworld and I can't unsee Jimmi Simpson as Liam McPoyle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGxan6FUjSY

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I love when elements of characters come through when actors are on different shows. Like the Jimmi Simpson Westworld thing and also John Lithgow on The Crown. When he's talking about his painting a little bit of Dick Solomon comes through.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

He was Hacker McPoyle on House of Cards too

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

moist turtleneck posted:

People will look at you funny if you try to give them chimichangas out of a trash bag, even on halloween

Fat Mac: I want you to say to yourself, "Chimichanga, you are delicious, but what do I really want?" What I really want? What do you want more than anything else in the entire world? What do I want more than anything else in this entire world?
Dennis: Crack.
Fat Mac: Oh. ... I thought you were gonna say pizza or buffalo wings or something.
Dennis: Yeah, no, no, no.
Fat Mac: You want crack?
Dennis: Yeah, crack cocaine.
Fat Mac: Now, I've never had crack.
Dennis: Dude, you are going to love it.
Fat Mac: I am?
Dennis: It's so good.

TheBigAristotle fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 18, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I think my favorite episode so far (last episode I saw was The Aluminum Monster versus Fatty Magoo in season 3) has been The Gang Goes Invincible because it is nonstop insanity from every character in perfect ways

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

I think my favorite episode so far (last episode I saw was The Aluminum Monster versus Fatty Magoo in season 3) has been The Gang Goes Invincible because it is nonstop insanity from every character in perfect ways

Green Man is saving your life right now, bro!

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

TheBigAristotle posted:

Fat Mac: I want you to say to yourself, "Chimichanga, you are delicious, but what do I really want?" What I really want? What do you want more than anything else in the entire world? What do I want more than anything else in this entire world?
Dennis: Crack.
Fat Mac: Oh. ... I thought you were gonna say pizza or buffalo wings or something.
Dennis: Yeah, no, no, no.
Fat Mac: You want crack?
Dennis: Yeah, crack cocaine.
Fat Mac: Now, I've never had crack.
Dennis: Dude, you are going to love it.
Fat Mac: I am?
Dennis: It's so good.

I say "You are going to love it" at every opportunity. The way Dennis says it is great.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

They probably thought he was joking at first and then: BOOM! Fat Mac.

I really want it to be just like that scene in How Mac Got Fat

<Rob bursts into the writer's room>
Rob: Whatsup bitches <spins> , I finally did it. I'm all big for next season! :haw:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

All of us, including you-- we've been engaged in many other plots and scripts since then.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

My favorite Fat Mac moment is probably when he's sitting there wheezing as he eats, and Dennis and Charlie are just staring at him in disbelief/disgust.

Well, that and:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
How much of this show's dialogue is written versus improv'd because everything feels so natural

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Calaveron posted:

How much of this show's dialogue is written versus improv'd because everything feels so natural

You can find many interviews and podcasts where they talk about this, they really hate being asked this question cause it pops up so often, generally they say that the episodes are all scripted but that they do sometimes start riffing on poo poo and improvising, sometimes guest characters and even half-extras (like the blackface kid from Dee Reynolds Shaping America's Youth) also just start riffing on lines and the gang just generally let them express themselves, if stuff's good they keep it, etc.

There's no real answer I guess, they just have great chemistry and the writing is also great and very conversational so you really can't tell unless you see in one of the blooper reels that they tried different lines for that one scene or if it's something they explicitly talked about (like Dennis' entire speech from The Gang Runs for Office).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Yeah I actually do buy the entire thing is tightly scripted and rehearsed with just some slight riffing because I don't think it'd be possible to keep a straight face while saying and doing most of the things that go on

EDIT: Why are they always so mean to Dee man, she needs to get one over them already (The Gang Sells Out so far)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Calaveron posted:

EDIT: Why are they always so mean to Dee

Too much lip and very sassy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Calaveron posted:

Yeah I actually do buy the entire thing is tightly scripted and rehearsed with just some slight riffing because I don't think it'd be possible to keep a straight face while saying and doing most of the things that go on

EDIT: Why are they always so mean to Dee man, she needs to get one over them already (The Gang Sells Out so far)

Because she looks like a bird and isn't funny.