Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!

Haystack posted:

I'm liking the look of this Journey to the West RPG that just cropped up. I'm a sucker for anything with the Monkey King in it, and I've enjoyed some of the author's Gloranthan publications. Has anyone had any experience with the first edition of the game?

I played the first edition at Con-ception in england last year - was a cool card mechanic that definitely played through scenes quite fast, but you needed a deck per player. New edition eliminates that, and now it's a deck for the GM, and a deck for the players. You draw cards according to the level of the abilities you have, then play your highest card (if you want) against the enemy's highest card. You can also store a card for future use, but you USUALLY only one card at a time.

Sometimes the GM gets to play multiple cards against you, either because he's laying out the tasks you need to beat to accomplish an over all action, or because the villian gets to play a second or third card down because that's just how deadly it is. Could also be because you are at a disadvantage for certain things in a scene. You must beat all cards, and usually every player has their own set of GM cards to beat.

Oh almost forgot - if they are enemy attacks, they are placed face down. Normal trivial tasks are played face up.

I think that's it.

Over all, I am backing it at the Silver Monkey part because I really had a good time with the game and the system. I highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

gently caress me I adore the Journey and I'm super tempted to check that out.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I'm backing it too. It looks a bit more rules lite than I'm used to, and I'm a bit concerned with how much you can do with the same story over and over, but still, I love me some Buddhist folklore rpgs.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I'm backing it too. It looks a bit more rules lite than I'm used to, and I'm a bit concerned with how much you can do with the same story over and over, but still, I love me some Buddhist folklore rpgs.

It looks like one of the stretch goals is to include rules for mortal characters/presumably play out novel storylines in the setting, so that seems like it'd add replay value beyond the standard Journey narrative.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Not to mention the whole Journey story is super episodic and freewheeling in the first place. I think the translation I read only covered maybe a third of the original, and it barely mattered.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I read the whole drat thing and it took me over a year.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Haystack posted:

Not to mention the whole Journey story is super episodic and freewheeling in the first place. I think the translation I read only covered maybe a third of the original, and it barely mattered.

All I have to say is RIP that Journey boardgame. The models were so loving good, and the game was okay. Not bad, not great, but worth playing.

Oh, it looks like that Level99 game might have miniatures in at after all? We will have to see how... detailed they are I guess?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

LordAba posted:

All I have to say is RIP that Journey boardgame. The models were so loving good, and the game was okay. Not bad, not great, but worth playing.

Oh, it looks like that Level99 game might have miniatures in at after all? We will have to see how... detailed they are I guess?

Looks like Marrow hit a bad patch, tis a shame. I saw the minis in person at Essen a couple years back and they looked drat good! At least some backers have received the base game so it's not a write off of Far West proportions.

If Argent is anything to go by L99's figures are competent if not mindblowing, but tbh those are smaller pawns to who knows what they'll be like if they go to town on larger scale stuff. They should get Werner Klocke to do the sculpts, he's good with that kind of intricate detail :)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

LordAba posted:

Not surprising after the success of Kingdom Death and stuff like Dark Souls to a lesser extent. It will be interesting to see what they come up with, or if they include a non-minis version.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Speaking of minis, the Darkest Night KS had an update where they showed of their factory samples and they looked kinda underwhelming.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/567823005/darkest-night-second-edition-0/posts/1783761

I guess it's to be expected of a company's first minis game, but it's disappointing since the project's delivery date is now July. At least it has a good game behind it (from what I've read), regardless.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

LordAba posted:

It's going to have minis according to the newsletter.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

JazzFlight posted:

Speaking of minis, the Darkest Night KS had an update where they showed of their factory samples and they looked kinda underwhelming.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/567823005/darkest-night-second-edition-0/posts/1783761

I guess it's to be expected of a company's first minis game, but it's disappointing since the project's delivery date is now July. At least it has a good game behind it (from what I've read), regardless.

I skipped the minis. The standups in the 1st edition are great. Shame the minis have screwed up the timeline, I was looking forward to the new edition.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

JazzFlight posted:

They looked alright to me. What were you expecting?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Word is the new Swords and Wizardry rule book has been delivered.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The Mortal Rules for Monkey Stretch Goal has been reached.

James Wallis
Jun 4, 2009

Cat Face Joe posted:

What was the issue with the delivery of Alas Vegas?

A bunch of people around me died in weird and unsettling ways that had odd resonances with stuff I'd written in the game, mostly. When someone you know ends up on the front page of national papers because he was stabbed to death in a pub by a complete stranger with a pair of scissors—and the complete stranger is a former neighbour of yours—and you'd just written a particularly bloody bit of the game that prominently featured a pair of scissors—it puts you in a mental space that is not conducive to the writing of quality games material.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

James Wallis posted:

A bunch of people around me died in weird and unsettling ways that had odd resonances with stuff I'd written in the game, mostly. When someone you know ends up on the front page of national papers because he was stabbed to death in a pub by a complete stranger with a pair of scissors—and the complete stranger is a former neighbour of yours—and you'd just written a particularly bloody bit of the game that prominently featured a pair of scissors—it puts you in a mental space that is not conducive to the writing of quality games material.

Let's hope Trump and Theresa May don't elicit the same response with the Paranoia Reboot.

Also, is it still going to be possible to get a physical copy of AV?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

James Wallis posted:

Aside from the insanity can I still say it was worth the wait?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
There a Kickstarter up for an Elite Dangerous RPG. Looks pretty well put together, though maybe a bit too hopeful? I don't know much about it, but I like the idea of game studios creating official RPGs for their games.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

There a Kickstarter up for an Elite Dangerous RPG. Looks pretty well put together, though maybe a bit too hopeful? I don't know much about it, but I like the idea of game studios creating official RPGs for their games.

That's their second attempt after a previous Elite Dangerous tabletop RPG (Elite Encounters, kickstarted in February 2013 and planned for delivery in April 2014) which got stuck in development hell.

Better luck this time, I guess. Though their team does not seem to have much to boast in terms of designing tabletop RPGs.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Reign is a pretty cheap and decent sounding bluffing game. The player count caps at seven which is a bit lower than most.

I'm torn, maybe it will be too random? It needs more details of the cards really. At least they have confirmed the very badly written rulebook will be getting another look though

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Foglet posted:

That's their second attempt after a previous Elite Dangerous tabletop RPG (Elite Encounters, kickstarted in February 2013 and planned for delivery in April 2014) which got stuck in development hell.

Better luck this time, I guess. Though their team does not seem to have much to boast in terms of designing tabletop RPGs.

Yeah everyone they listed on the page is either an artist or a writer with no experience in that kind of design, and I've never heard of the company. Probably not worth backing unless you're a huge fan of the Elite setting.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Games that have caught my eye!

Status Report! - a social deduction game about guessing which of the other players is an AI bent on Killing All Humans. Not yet funded.

Dark is the Night - a fun-looking, quick, 2 player hidden movement game. I'm a sucker for hidden movement games, and this is right up my alley. Not yet funded, but close.

Khan of Khans - reprint (I think?) of Reiner Knizia's family 2-5 player game. Funded with stretch goals unlocked.

Tao Long - dragon tile placement game, based on the I-Ching and elements. Rules have me slightly glazing over, but I'm sure that's more on me than the game. Funded, with stretch goals unlocked.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Foglet posted:

Or common sense, given that production costs were listed as a stretch goal.

For those who didn't follow the original Elite Dangerous project - the top level gave you a creative licence to publish an original work of fiction set in the Elite universe. A number of these levels were themselves funded by Kickstarter projects. This person wants to buy a creative licence - or already did - and use it to make an Elite RPG. But, the original project goal only paid for the licence. Anything that backers would receive from it was extra.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Khan of Khans - reprint (I think?) of Reiner Knizia's family 2-5 player game. Funded with stretch goals unlocked.

Nope, brand new. It's set in Glorantha's Prax region (ie Mad Max with livestock). Cute art, fun flavor, fairly simple mechanics, appropriatly low price.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Haystack posted:

Nope, brand new. It's set in Glorantha's Prax region (ie Mad Max with livestock). Cute art, fun flavor, fairly simple mechanics, appropriatly low price.

The art on that one boggles me. "From the guy who did the incredibly elegant and functional designs of The Gallerist and Vinhos and the lovely styling of the upcoming Lisboa - fantasy doodles!"

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

James Wallis posted:

Wow, I wasn't expecting an answer from the designer himself. I'm sorry to hear about all this but I'm glad it's completed cause it is definitely something I want to pick up and run.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Cat Face Joe posted:

Word is the new Swords and Wizardry rule book has been delivered.

I can confirm this happened. It's a p. nice book but I haven't had an opportunity to get reading.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Cat Face Joe posted:

Wow, I wasn't expecting an answer from the designer himself. I'm sorry to hear about all this but I'm glad it's completed cause it is definitely something I want to pick up and run.

I'm still trying to figure out how I can rent a suite in Vegas and get my group down there for a long weekend of playing the whole thing with theatrical effects and everything.

Having a 6 month old baby isn't really conducive to that it turns out.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 18, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dice Base: Master - RPG, Dungeon and Tabletop Screen

quote:

The Great Wall of Disappointment
(And how you can tear it down)

You are "The Master", the head honcho, the big cheese, numero uno. It's your game, it's your world, and it's your rear end on the line if things go wrong, or right.

You've invested uncounted hours of your life to bring a new world into existence, you've planned, prepared and now its showtime.

But despite your best efforts, all your work and effort there's a weak link, one glaring oversight that holds you and your world back. It prevents you from being your most creative, it limits the information you can keep secret and share with your players. Worst of all its made of cheap, common paper.

Or perhaps its made of something a bit more stylish but its HUGE and HEAVY and requires that you make compromise after compromise just to use it. It seems like its using you more than you're using it.

The DM Screen, the partition between your most guarded secrets, plans and surprises and the gatekeeper of more than just your books, dice, pens and paper, but your life essence, and all the time and energy you've invested into your world.

Its holding you back.

Its standing in your way.

Its blocking your creativity

No more.

I mean...it looks nice? Not $200+ worth of nice, but still nice.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yes, surely we need to further fortify the barricade between the GM and the players, that is a good idea.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
The perfect GM screen is one I can choose which tables I want quick reference to, and a whiteboard with a dry erase marker.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The perfect GM screen is a piece of cardboard just big enough to block dice rolls if necessary and prevent players from peeking at my notes so they can't see how much of this poo poo I just make up as I go :colbert:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's been ages since I GMed in person but I think just having a laptop you can crack open to reference your notes is fine. You can run a diceroller on there for any super seecrit dice rolling you need to do. A tablet works even better for that since it doesn't sit there imposing a barrier between you and your friends as you engage in a social activity.

I mean, giving up your trappings of authority might reduce your psychological advantage over your buddies and they might start to think they get to participate in creating the adventure and setting or something foolish like that, so... do what you gotta do.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

Dice Base: Master - RPG, Dungeon and Tabletop Screen

I mean...it looks nice? Not $200+ worth of nice, but still nice.
Wow, I'd give those dice on the right 5 minutes, max, before falling out and rolling onto the floor.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Don't play systems where characters arbitrarily die from bad rolls and the need for a GM screen tends to evaporate, I feel. They can be good to hang references on but I'm too reliant on a laptop now to find room for one.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I actually have one of these customizable screens, which is only $30, is easy to customize, I can see over, and doesn't weigh four pounds.

And even then, I haven't used it in ages. I just don't use screens anymore; notes are either on a clipboard on or my tablet, which has a stand cover so I can keep it so only I can see it.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

The only time I've ever used a GM screen I kept it folded together, flat on the table in front of me, and opened it whenever I needed to quickly reference a table or rule written on it.

Hidden dice rolls I shield with my arm if absolutely necessary, and notes I keep in a pile that my players don't peek at. If want to make sure they don't accidentally peek at them I can always keep them in a folder or just put the side with the text face down.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That thing is the kind of cute perfect GM screen some kid doodled during the eighties, remembering the cool spherical magnets from his Micronauts toys. Spots for everything he could think of, everything in its little cubby, and all of it would spill all over the place the first time someone bumped the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
One of my GMs uses two of his tin ammo boxes to block his rolls, hold his notes, and to put the miniatures away after combat. We also have a small rear end table so there's not a lot of room for character sheets + our combat maps.