Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

We've run out of UNNERVING ARTICLES/STORIES. Time to close the thread. Start new thread: PYF UNNERVING OPINION.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

We've run out of UNNERVING ARTICLES/STORIES. Time to close the thread. Start new thread: PYF UNNERVING OPINION.

I think dogs should be able to vote

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

purple death ray posted:

I've seen the US and Brexit votes and let me tell you something....

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

purple death ray posted:

But dogs can't even look up!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Make deer legal tender. Having a few bucks in your pocket takes on a whole new meaning.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

purple death ray posted:

Hell, i'd vote you in as mayor

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Hell, i'd vote you in as mayor

Dog spotted. (Spotted dog?)

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
There's a word for that I'm just too inbred and retarded to remember it

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sponge Baathist posted:

There's a word for that I'm just too inbred and retarded to remember it

I believe its "Dalmation." Or the creation of a Dal-Nation, if one would.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Unnerving fact: you can still buy human bones legally on ebay

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Methyl groups are bad news no matter where they pop up. Does it have methyl on it? Yeah, you're hosed. Doesn't even matter how you're hosed, you're just hosed.
It's a lot more complicated than that. Methyl groups cam make drugs more awesome (MDA to MDMA, amphetamine to methamphetamine, theobromine to caffeine,) and perform lots of biological functions.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

GWBBQ posted:

It's a lot more complicated than that. Methyl groups cam make drugs more awesome (MDA to MDMA, amphetamine to methamphetamine, theobromine to caffeine,) and perform lots of biological functions.

Well, obviously it's way more complicated, but methamphetamine also = you're hosed. :colbert: (Caffeine is great, the methyl group in methylxanthine is not making me write this. And I'd rather take lisdexamphetamine than meth.)

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Steak should be cooked well-done

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

ranbo das posted:

Welcome to SA, Mr. President-elect.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Well-done steak should be eaten with ketchup.

Unnerving civil engineering projects in war-time: the Mosul Dam is failing. It's a ticking time bomb of a problem that may well cause more casualties than ISIS can ever manage. A breach in the dam might kill more than a million people. The water would obliterate Mosul and crush Baghdad.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Unnerving civil engineering projects in war-time: the Mosul Dam is failing. It's a ticking time bomb of a problem that may well cause more casualties than ISIS can ever manage. A breach in the dam might kill more than a million people. The water would obliterate Mosul and crush Baghdad.

Great username post combo here.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Same but here in the US.

http://interactives.dallasnews.com/2015/lewisville-dam/

Its already failing and it has the potential to kill a significant portion of dallas.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

Great username post combo here.

Thank FAU for that.

DogonCrook posted:

Same but here in the US.

http://interactives.dallasnews.com/2015/lewisville-dam/

Its already failing and it has the potential to kill a significant portion of dallas.

Believe it or not, but the estimated casualties are less than 1/3rd of a Mosul Dam catastrophic failure. Still, this is quite frightening. :sigh: It'd be just ducky if we could stop spending tax money on stupid poo poo for just a hot minute and fix some infrastructure so we don't drown and dehydrate simultaneously.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Thank FAU for that.

Believe it or not, but the estimated casualties are less than 1/3rd of a Mosul Dam catastrophic failure. Still, this is quite frightening. :sigh: It'd be just ducky if we could stop spending tax money on stupid poo poo for just a hot minute and fix some infrastructure so we don't drown and dehydrate simultaneously.

Actually they refuse to release the actual casualty estimation. It sounds like it may even be less than 400k, but who knows. Also it mentions 10 other dams in the same condition but they will not release the names or locations of these dams. Hell they lied about this one till they couldnt hide it anymore and they openly admit that.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

DogonCrook posted:

Actually they refuse to release the actual casualty estimation. It sounds like it may even be less than 400k, but who knows. Also it mentions 10 other dams in the same condition but they will not release the names or locations of these dams. Hell they lied about this one till they couldnt hide it anymore and they openly admit that.

I haven't finished the article, but is there any rationale given for why the others aren't being named? I can guess "security" is one, but people really should have the right to know local hazards, and the housing market needs that info to adjust accordingly, too. (haha pretending that the housing market is rational hahaha)

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

ranbo das posted:

Your trolling is too obvious, good goon. :colbert:

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Your trolling is too obvious, good goon. :colbert:

Hey, you guys wanted unnerving opinions. Medium rare is the one true way to cook a steak

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

ranbo das posted:

Hey, you guys wanted unnerving opinions. Medium rare is the one true way to cook a steak

Ah, yes, it is an unnerving opinion - not necessarily yours.

and medium rare is indeed the correct answer

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38663522

Is anyone going to be posting pages from the CIA classified files? That could go in this thread. If there was a new thread then there would be a danger of doubleposting/crossposting etc.

E: How about changing the thread title: "PYF Unnerving article/story or CIA classified doc"?

Josef K. Sourdust has a new favorite as of 22:20 on Jan 18, 2017

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I haven't finished the article, but is there any rationale given for why the others aren't being named? I can guess "security" is one, but people really should have the right to know local hazards, and the housing market needs that info to adjust accordingly, too. (haha pretending that the housing market is rational hahaha)

Yeah just security is named. Im no engineer but a bomb blowing a hole in one of these dams may actually be a better outcome than a catastrophic failure of the foundation becuase it would be more of a controlled release.

Regardless thats seems like a bullshit answer because they have teams of people watching these dams 24/7 looking for puddles im not sure how anyone could plant a bomb and not be spotted. Its a very weird decision to keep this under wraps. At the same time maybe dallas wouldnt be spending money on a new stadium if they knew they could possibly die without warning everytime it rains. Not really sure if the city or state feels they should pay for it, I assume they would just let everybody die and blame it on the feds rather than poney up the money.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

DogonCrook posted:

Yeah just security is named. Im no engineer but a bomb blowing a hole in one of these dams may actually be a better outcome than a catastrophic failure of the foundation becuase it would be more of a controlled release.

Regardless thats seems like a bullshit answer because they have teams of people watching these dams 24/7 looking for puddles im not sure how anyone could plant a bomb and not be spotted. Its a very weird decision to keep this under wraps. At the same time maybe dallas wouldnt be spending money on a new stadium if they knew they could possibly die without warning everytime it rains. Not really sure if the city or state feels they should pay for it, I assume they would just let everybody die and blame it on the feds rather than poney up the money.

Not weird at all if the real rationale is to keep residents and businesses from packing their bags and moving to higher ground, as it were. That would definitely hurt powerful folks' pocketbooks. I guess that's a fairly paranoid take on it, but secrecy tends to promote that perspective.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Not weird at all if the real rationale is to keep residents and businesses from packing their bags and moving to higher ground, as it were. That would definitely hurt powerful folks' pocketbooks. I guess that's a fairly paranoid take on it, but secrecy tends to promote that perspective.

This is probably true. I recently moved to dallas but i learned about it earlier in this thread. Nobody ive talked to here knows about this. I went to Louisville around the time of the partial collapse and the locals knew about it but nobody mentioned the bigger issue. In fact the told me everybody keeps the collapse on the hush because during drought the lake gets too low to launch boats so a lot of the locals try and sell when the lake goes back to normal levels but they mostly want out for that reason, and the fact that its turning a small old town into a massive suburb.

Edit: There is also the insurance aspect of them saying "disaster is immenent" which they have to do to get funding i guess. No idea how insurance companies would feel about that lol.

DogonCrook has a new favorite as of 22:46 on Jan 18, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fngDAxZLhBA

Oh, meant to link this earlier. In this episode, there's very little forensics as such, and a lot of pointing out the police being stupid lovely idiots who pointed their finger at the wrong person.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Thanks for getting the thread back on-track with some dam unnerving articles.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Solice Kirsk posted:

I believe its "Dalmation." Or the creation of a Dal-Nation, if one would.

Dalmatian

They’re named for Dalmatia, a region of Croatia and historically a province of the Roman empire, but that was before the dog’s time.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Huh, that's pretty interesting. Dalmatians, Irish Wolf hounds, and any Lab are the best dogs. Mastiffs and Great Danes are also fantastic. Can we have unnerving dog chat? Someone post those pictures of what the breeds looked like before the kennel clubs hosed them forever.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There's at least one breed in Australia where it's performance in the sheepdog trials is also an official part of its show judging score. Pretty-but-useless animals are not welcome.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

DogonCrook posted:

good

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/01/donald-trump-sworn-president-170120163850452.html

unnerving!

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Less unnerving and more goofy, but a weird way they apprehended a serial killer in NYC in 1946:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Heirens posted:

A scuffle resulted that ended only when an off-duty policeman dropped three clay flowerpots on Heirens's head, one at a time, from the top of the stairs, rendering him unconscious.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
More unnerving when you know that Heirens was probably innocent, had cognitive disabilities, and confessed possibly as a result of police brutality.

Cat Potency
Aug 13, 2006

Chairman Meow
Here's something fairly unnerving:

Inedia, or"breatharianism", is the belief that the human body can obtain all its essential nutrients and sustenance from air and sunlight alone. Widely accepted as a lethal pseudoscience, there are some people who still swear by it.
In 1999, an Australian '60 minutes' segment follows around 'Jasmuheen' (real name Ellen Greeve) a best selling spiritual author who claims to have mastered the breatharian lifestyle. 60 minutes merely wanted to observe her, because she adamantly claimed that she could, and indeed had been, sustaining herself without any food or water. Well it takes less than 3 days for 'Jasmuheen' to turn into a gaunt, corpse-looking shade of her former self. Beyond that, her mental faculties have taken a serious toll as well. Her demeanor goes from your run of the mill, airy and evasive holistic charlatan to barely functional space cadet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnCuzUd4eC0

The truly unnerving thing is that you get the impression that she would have starved/dehydrated herself to death if 60 minutes hadn't decided to end their surveillance of her. It seems like they set out to expose a fraud and quickly realized that they were dealing with a dangerously mentally ill person who was willing to die in order to keep up the charade. Of course, she has some garbage excuses about being poisoned by the city air to explain away her deteriorating health. The segment is worth a watch. Last I heard, Jasmuheen is still an outspoken champion of "breatharianism".

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Cat Potency posted:

Here's something fairly unnerving:

Inedia, or"breatharianism", is the belief that the human body can obtain all its essential nutrients and sustenance from air and sunlight alone. Widely accepted as a lethal pseudoscience, there are some people who still swear by it.
In 1999, an Australian '60 minutes' segment follows around 'Jasmuheen' (real name Ellen Greeve) a best selling spiritual author who claims to have mastered the breatharian lifestyle. 60 minutes merely wanted to observe her, because she adamantly claimed that she could, and indeed had been, sustaining herself without any food or water. Well it takes less than 3 days for 'Jasmuheen' to turn into a gaunt, corpse-looking shade of her former self. Beyond that, her mental faculties have taken a serious toll as well. Her demeanor goes from your run of the mill, airy and evasive holistic charlatan to barely functional space cadet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnCuzUd4eC0

The truly unnerving thing is that you get the impression that she would have starved/dehydrated herself to death if 60 minutes hadn't decided to end their surveillance of her. It seems like they set out to expose a fraud and quickly realized that they were dealing with a dangerously mentally ill person who was willing to die in order to keep up the charade. Of course, she has some garbage excuses about being poisoned by the city air to explain away her deteriorating health. The segment is worth a watch. Last I heard, Jasmuheen is still an outspoken champion of "breatharianism".

I could totally see someone convincing themselves that it really is real, everyone else can do it, I'm just a bad breatharian because I break down and have a sandwich once in a while, I just need to have more faith and meditate longer and I'll get it too.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
The physiological toll of dehydration and starvation includes serious cognitive deficits. She's lucky she didn't cack it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

You know what's really unnerving?

There are Roman dams still in use.