Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

holy poo poo this sounds involved what do you even get for this. i sort of want to go into the game blind but if its a Useful Thing i might break my plan

The only thing that carries over from the demos is an item called the Dirty Coin. No one knows what it does yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I can see liking UC1 over 4 as that is before the story goes so far up it's rear end that it forgets its supposed to be a game.

It's not even that great a story.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Oxxidation posted:

The only thing that carries over from the demos is an item called the Dirty Coin. No one knows what it does yet.

It's used to buy upgrades after the first area

More specifically: There's a trailer after you get out of the house that has a bunch of bird cages. In each cage is an upgrade or weapon and at the base of the cages is the number of coins needed to open that cage

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 18, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Uncharted 4 looks really, really pretty.

That and you can play Crash Bandicoot. Those remakes are my most-anticipated exclusive after Knack 2

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Worth pointing out that this image predates the Pro.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That and you can play Crash Bandicoot. Those remakes are my most-anticipated exclusive after Knack 2

People's reaction to a Crash remake is as puzzling as people getting genuinely excited about a Knack remake 10 years from now. Maybe it is because I wasn't five years old when Crash came out but it was a bad game. Knack is better.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Electromax posted:

This is the Metal Gear series, if you're still on board with V this can't be too much of a concern.

I didn't like IV much either, but at least it went all-out with its psycho bullshit and remains somewhat memorable and consistent with the series gameplay. The marketing of V's story and overall package was dubious at best, especially with regard to the way Konami basically purchased good reviews en masse. So, disagree.

Never have I played a more padded-out game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO4Tusk_V2k

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Electromax posted:

This is the Metal Gear series, if you're still on board with V this can't be too much of a concern.

I like MGS V but it's definitely light on Kojima-ness, storywise.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
Nioh - The Last Chance Demo https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/nioh-last-chance-trial/cid=UP9000-CUSA07649_00-NIOHDEMO00000001

The watch dogs 2 free trial is another cool thing to check out provided your ISP doesn't have data caps.

Timed demo downloads of games that are already out are kind of ingenious. They worked on me the last two times I did them (Overwatch, Titanfall 2) at least.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

People's reaction to a Crash remake is as puzzling as people getting genuinely excited about a Knack remake 10 years from now. Maybe it is because I wasn't five years old when Crash came out but it was a bad game. Knack is better.

give us some more hot takes, especially involving the super relevant and hilarious memes about knack

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I love how there is a weird sidepath dialog event for this purposeless room in UC4.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I can see liking UC1 over 4 as that is before the story goes so far up it's rear end that it forgets its supposed to be a game.

It's not even that great a story.

I think they're about equal. There was a charm to UC1 before 2 made the series so over the top that bigger setpieces were the main draw.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
There are 15 games that are out this year that I am varying levels of interested in. What a time to be into video games!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

I like MGS V but it's definitely light on Kojima-ness, storywise.

Extremely light. Say what you will about MGS4 (I love it, like I love the other non-V games), at least it had some incredibly powerful and memorable sequences alongside some super fun and hardcore Kojimaness dialed to eleven.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah, I wanted more insanity. Instead, I got something more subdued.

Relatively.

There's still sentient(?) language parasites involved after all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

give us some more hot takes, especially involving the super relevant and hilarious memes about knack

UFS is an idiot but most of my memories of the Crash games are the kind I wouldn't want revisited.

That running-into-the-screen gimmick, good grief.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just playing that level in UC4 put paid to all rumours that Crash was actually a good game.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Man that doesn't really cover it. Whenever you're in some of the rain forest cave-y climb-y levels... that's some insanely gorgeous poo poo.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Sakurazuka posted:

Just playing that level in UC4 put paid to all rumours that Crash was actually a good game.

The first one was indeed a bit of janky mess.

I still say 2 and them however are good. :colbert:

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Crash games were excellent for their time and I'd to this day rather play them than Mario 64

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

KrayG posted:

The Crash games were excellent for their time and I'd to this day rather play them than Mario 64

lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I played them last week and they do NOT hold up as well as people think they will.

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I played them last week and they do NOT hold up as well as people think they will.

I play through them all about every 2 years and they are still the best 3d platformers from that era, and indeed probably ever

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I never played them on ps1 but didn't like the crash level they had in uncharted 4

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

KrayG posted:

I play through them all about every 2 years and they are still the best 3d platformers from that era, and indeed probably ever

lol

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

KrayG posted:

I don't know this sounds like a wrong opinion...

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Spyro was so much better than Crash on PS1. We don't talk about anything beyond that generation though.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Crash has a lot of fun style but as a game it's very rigid and momentum-less. Like those secret rooms with a long line of crates over a pit, you have to carefully scoot forward an inch at a time with each bounce to hit the next crate and it's hard to not either overshoot the crate and hit the next one, or not hit right for long enough and fall down the same crate gap you just made. I always wanted a bit more float to carry forward - it felt imprecise at times.

It's pretty different from Mario regardless. Crash 1 is real rough, 3 is a bit smoother. It was all worth it for CTR.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

A game with a story that isn't hot turds?

A game with a fast travel system that isn't hot turds?

Playing MGS for the story is like driving a car for the crashes.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

You shouldn't crash cars, its not good for the car

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

As far as games are concerned I only drive cars for the crashes, natch

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Destruction Derby owned, so..

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

crash mode was the best part of burnout

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

KrayG posted:

Wanting to play a Crash game over the greatest game of all time is a god drat travesty. Don't do this to yourself.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

rabidsquid posted:

Look at the post I was replying to, dummy.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the greatest game of all time...incredible

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah, Super Mario 64 was an incredible game. I agree.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
What about Gex

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Electromax posted:

Crash has a lot of fun style but as a game it's very rigid and momentum-less. Like those secret rooms with a long line of crates over a pit, you have to carefully scoot forward an inch at a time with each bounce to hit the next crate and it's hard to not either overshoot the crate and hit the next one, or not hit right for long enough and fall down the same crate gap you just made.

That happens once, on the first level and while its almost impossible to jump on those crates to destroy them the intention is for the player to pickup a mask power up and run across the lime of crates to destroy them.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

verbal enema posted:

What about Gex
What would Gex 2017 even be about? A Gecko that really likes Youtube videos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
uncharted owns, MGS owns, crash owns, knack probably owns (waiting for ps+). The PlayStation is an excellent gaming platform.