Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Hey, it worked for Nebraska!

Well, kind of.

It wasn't an abject disaster, certainly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Yeah if Tennessee wants Fulmer as "AD", where he's just out glad-handing boosters and getting money while associate ADs run all the administrative work (as USC seems to be doing with Lynn Swann) then hey, more power to them.

If they want an AD to be a traditional AD, I'd want someone who's done the job before.

It's a little early to say the Swann thing has worked out. The Helton hire might wind up being fine but it was still the result of the same narrow minded philosophy towards coaching hires that messed the program up in the first place.

It just seems like Tennessee should be in a position where they should be capable of getting someone with actual administrative experience. Just throwing the job at someone famous associated with the program seems like incredibly lazy fanboard stuff. It's also funny that he's now the beloved figurehead from the glory years when the end of his tenure was kinda ugly and he for all intents and purposes was fired.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 17, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I think the Fulmer thing is less fan service and more making boosters happy. From what I've read there's several large ones that are pushing hard for it to happen.

Most fans I've talked to or read about have wanted Blackburn.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Joey Freshwater posted:

I think the Fulmer thing is less fan service and more making boosters happy.
Isn't that basically the same thing?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tk posted:

Isn't that basically the same thing?

Nah

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Will bringing Fulmer back put him in a position to inevitably narc on Alabama again?

Because that is an important factor in how rad or not this is

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

MourningView posted:

It's a little early to say the Swann thing has worked out. The Helton hire might wind up being fine but it was still the result of the same narrow minded philosophy towards coaching hires that messed the program up in the first place.

It just seems like Tennessee should be in a position where they should be capable of getting someone with actual administrative experience. Just throwing the job at someone famous associated with the program seems like incredibly lazy fanboard stuff. It's also funny that he's now the beloved figurehead from the glory years when the end of his tenure was kinda ugly and he for all intents and purposes was fired.

Helton was hired by Pat Hayden

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Phil Fulmer and Mack Brown are probably both gonna be AD's in the future. Weird stuff.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Brown would legit be a great AD. They often are the CEO, setting strategic direction and hitting up boosters for money. They have AADs for the actual ops.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Skip Bertman was a great AD at LSU despite his only qualification being that he was a really good baseball coach.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kim Jong Il posted:

Brown would legit be a great AD. They often are the CEO, setting strategic direction and hitting up boosters for money. They have AADs for the actual ops.

I though Mack would end up an AD somewhere, instead of ending up at Miami.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Is Barry Alvarez considered to be a good AD? He has certainly driven at least two coaches away.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Komet posted:

Is Barry Alvarez considered to be a good AD? He has certainly driven at least two coaches away.

Barry Alvarez is considered to be Barry Alvarez.

I'm sure he raises a ton of money for them, and the football team is almost always bowl-eligible and their basketball team has been pretty good lately. Hard to say if that's because or in spite of him, but the school would be pretty hard-pressed to fire him.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
In UConn news, Randy Edsall has hired Billy Crocker, the DC at Villanova, for the same position at UConn. Crocker runs a 3-3-5.

Between this and the Rhett Lashlee hire, this Edsall tenure is gonna be... different. Not sure what to make of it yet, but it will require a full 4 years I think.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wake Forest has finalized hiring Jay Sawvel, the former Minnesota defensive coordinator, to the same position.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Wake Forest has finalized hiring Jay Sawvel, the former Minnesota defensive coordinator, to the same position.

Is this a good hire? On paper I am cautiously optimistic.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

if minnesota's defense was any indication, prepare to see the brain pans of your enemies bludgeoned under a hail of helmet crowns

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
DJ Eliot leaving Kentucky for Colorado. Mark Stoops stepped into more of a direct role with the defense after the New Mexico St game, so not a complete surprise, nor a big loss for most UK fans, considering how much better the defense was after that. No word on the next move for UK yet.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

R.D. Mangles posted:

if minnesota's defense was any indication, prepare to see the brain pans of your enemies bludgeoned under a hail of helmet crowns

The vaunted Florda 'made a key 3rd down stop but committed a personal foul' defense

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Unless something weird happens it looks like it's Larry Scott for OC and Mike Canales as QB Coach for UT

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The vaunted Florda 'made a key 3rd down stop but committed a personal foul' defense

Um, Big Dumb Football now resides in Columbia, SC.

Now we just Don't Break But Then Shatter-->where we will hold you to 1.1ypp then give up an 80yd TD in busted nickel coverage with 5 first round DBs.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Proud Christian Mom posted:

LeeMajors posted:

Um, Big Dumb Football now resides in Columbia, SC.

Now we just Don't Break But Then Shatter-->where we will hold you to 1.1ypp then give up an 80yd TD in busted nickel coverage with 5 first round DBs.

Yeah I was gonna say that is more of a Muschamp defensive calling card.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Komet posted:

Overall yes, at least for the majorly visible stuff that I'm assuming he had a hand in. Chryst has already proven himself, even if it was the obvious hire at the time. He's made some good hires in men's and women's soccer and women's volleyball as well - they've all won Big 10 titles in sports Wisconsin hasn't traditionally been the best at. Under Armor's contract is a boatload more money than what Adidias was for. Probably waited the right amount of time to officially hire Greg Gard, and the men's hockey coaching staff is a dream team of former players. Built a hockey facility on campus next to the Kohl Center that seats and sells 2200 for women's hockey. Bad decisions would be waiting giving Mike Eaves a year after a 4-win season, football non-conference scheduling still hasn't had a marquee game at Camp Randall, and the concessions contract being loving terrible. Seriously, Iowa can get Coke at Kinnick but we're stuck with RC?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like RC. :colbert:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pardon me guys but drinkchat is already going on in the offseason thread

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Coke contract comes with a coke commerical on the big screen every halftime that is inexplicably 100% louder and clearer sounding than anything else played over the speakers on gameday. It was super jarring and made me jump every single time.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Notre Dame has hired Del Alexander as WR coach. I think he's from Arizona State.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
A lot of the times concessions are at the university level and the AD has no choice in the matter.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

whiteyfats posted:

I like RC. :colbert:

The dumbest thing Texas A&M ever did was show that man the door.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So it's final, Larry Scott as OC, Mike Canales as QB Coach and Charleton Warren (new DB coach) will also be ST coach.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

The Coke contract comes with a coke commerical on the big screen every halftime that is inexplicably 100% louder and clearer sounding than anything else played over the speakers on gameday. It was super jarring and made me jump every single time.

Fun fact about WVU's Coke Contract: apparently they got real pissy about pictures of Dana drinking red bull

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/01/auburn_offensive_coordinator_s_4.html

No way this ends well

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

And just as I post that, they hire Chip Lindsey, which seems fine on its own, but that power struggle remains an ominous sign.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Lol of course the AD wanted to hire Mazzone. At least Gus won and made them go outside of the SEC bubble.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

MourningView posted:

Lol of course the AD wanted to hire Mazzone. At least Gus won and made them go outside of the SEC bubble.

You're half right- Lindsey isn't really "outside the bubble" as he was an analyst for Gus in '13.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Oregon's new TE coach is on administrative leave after a DUI 5 days after being hired

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Spintzel posted:

Oregon's new TE coach is on administrative leave after a DUI 5 days after being hired

Nice to see he's fitting in already.

quote:

Reaves' contract allows Oregon to discipline him or terminate his contract for "any material violation of local, state or federal law."

Rob Mullens (AD) posted:

"Reaves has been placed on administrative leave and the process to terminate his employment with cause has commenced,"

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 22, 2017

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Spintzel posted:

quote:

A spokesman for the university said Reaves has been placed on administrative leave, and the process to terminate his employment has started.

http://koin.com/2017/01/22/uo-assistant-football-coach-charged-with-dui/

lol

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Willie Taggart running a tight ship up in Eugene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Pakled posted:

Willie Taggart running a tight ship up in Eugene.

That 'ole Lane Kiffin coaching tree

• Locked thread