Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

themrguy posted:

There are a lot of Trumpers making really bad bets right now. Uh I'm scared to get back in though.

What kinds of bets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Covok posted:

What kinds of bets?

Obama will preemptively pardon Clinton of undetermined wrongdoing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Vox Nihili posted:

Obama will preemptively pardon Clinton of undetermined wrongdoing.

Simply wow. People really can't get over this, can they?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
2016 on PI

Election day bad, everything else good

Baddog
May 12, 2001
its crazy that Le Pen is going to be in the 2nd round... and sure she *might* have a chance, but 67 for NO is crazy cheap..... right? right?

Probably shouldn't bet on poo poo that I don't really have a good feel for the climate on, but this definitely feels like trump money sloshing into the market.

edit: mmm the british betting markets have her chances of winning at even better right now (38.5 cents if i did the conversion right, shes at 8/5), so maybe not! Although the difference is the vig I think.

Baddog has issued a correction as of 20:28 on Jan 2, 2017

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Baddog posted:

its crazy that Le Pen is going to be in the 2nd round... and sure she *might* have a chance, but 67 for NO is crazy cheap..... right? right?

Probably shouldn't bet on poo poo that I don't really have a good feel for the climate on, but this definitely feels like trump money sloshing into the market.

edit: mmm the british betting markets have her chances of winning at even better right now (38.5 cents if i did the conversion right, shes at 8/5), so maybe not! Although the difference is the vig I think.

i think it is a decent price but the yes price will likely go up before it goes down because there is a trump contingent that seemingly bets on whoever the most comparable candidate is everywhere, and if she makes the 2nd round i'd guess she spikes some.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
Watch the Dutch elections in March — if Geert's PVV wins the most seats, I imagine Le Pen's price will spike

disclaimer: I know very little about Euro politics

Raivin
Jan 9, 2002
Pillbug
Anybody shorting any presumptive cabinet appointees? Senate Democrats have promised to fight 8 of Trump's appointments, as far as that goes.

I bought some NOs for Price as HHS Secretary. Between his hard on for ACA and his potential insider trading, he seems the most likely to be forced to withdraw. Although with the GOP going after the Ethics panel I'm less confident.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I have been buying Exxon Mobil SOS nos at 19 cents and selling them at 24 a couple times now. Not sure that will last as we get closer to the date. Nos should increase in value though if the process gets delayed it ends Jan 31.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

Raivin posted:

Anybody shorting any presumptive cabinet appointees? Senate Democrats have promised to fight 8 of Trump's appointments, as far as that goes.

I bought some NOs for Price as HHS Secretary. Between his hard on for ACA and his potential insider trading, he seems the most likely to be forced to withdraw. Although with the GOP going after the Ethics panel I'm less confident.

My Pruitt short never filled, but I'm short DeVos and Price both under 10c a share. DeVos is interesting because she has to be confirmed by Feb 28, and she's on the list Dems pledged to fight. Price is good for the reasons you listed...although in my heart of hearts I think they both get approved. I went long on McMahon in SBA after some chucklefucks crashed the market saying she couldn't be confirmed in time. She can.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Got a pretty good response out of a Trumpling in the comments the other day:

Trumpian posted:

"Trumplodyte"... I wish I had thought of that... Compared to what people have evolved into over the last 30 years, I'm proud the be of the species that came prior...

What will be exciting is how much this modern group of Obamapians will appreciate how much better they, and the world will be when we take them back into the Real America...

We Trumplodytes WILL help them become Great Americans, even though they would not do the same for us...

Consideration Of Others is one of many positive American characteristics lost during the evolution...

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

This market is taking off: https://www.predictit.org/Contract/4393/Will-Obama-pardon-Hillary-Clinton

Lots of pressure pushing down the cost of No. I'm maxed, but folks might be able to get in for 80 cents or below.

Plenty of right-wing media hype about ~possible pardons~ fueling this madness.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

This market is taking off: https://www.predictit.org/Contract/4393/Will-Obama-pardon-Hillary-Clinton

Lots of pressure pushing down the cost of No. I'm maxed, but folks might be able to get in for 80 cents or below.

maxed at 80 :smug:

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

ive been drinking and im feelign the call of the void again...

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

jarofpiss posted:

extremely relevant username

Baddog
May 12, 2001
ok ok, come on obama, its "affordable care act" in your last speech not "obamacare". right?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

jarofpiss posted:

I've got a TImber Beast Rye IPA, not as hoppy as I'd expect but good

edit: wait this isn't the thread about crippling alcoholism

Squalid has issued a correction as of 03:49 on Jan 11, 2017

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Squalid posted:

I've got a TImber Beast Rye IPA, not as hoppy as I'd expect but good

edit: wait this isn't the thread about crippling alcoholism

We don't talk about it much, but we all have it after this election.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Mother fer my Blago pardon yes from 3 week ago never filled at 4 cents and now it is 12 cents. Why am I so cheap. I knew the Trumpers would be all over this.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Elephanthead posted:

Mother fer my Blago pardon yes from 3 week ago never filled at 4 cents and now it is 12 cents. Why am I so cheap. I knew the Trumpers would be all over this.

I feel like Obama pardons no one anyone has ever heard of. Just seems like he is so sensitive to anything that will play poorly in his legacy.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Baddog posted:

I feel like Obama pardons no one anyone has ever heard of. Just seems like he is so sensitive to anything that will play poorly in his legacy.

Of course now he is gonna rip that mask off and go all chicago-pol on his last day, get out of jail free cards for everyone!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
No I was playing the bump and sell the reality before we got to close to the deadline. I went to sell today but atlas it was not filled.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Our fellow traders on Predictit really think Chelsea Manning has a good shot at a pardon/commutation. Price sitting at 50/50 on the strength of this article: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/army-leaker-chelsea-manning-obama-s-short-list-commutation-n705441

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/4940/Will-Obama-pardon-Chelsea-Manning-or-commute-her-sentence#data

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Vox Nihili posted:

Our fellow traders on Predictit really think Chelsea Manning has a good shot at a pardon/commutation. Price sitting at 50/50 on the strength of this article: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/army-leaker-chelsea-manning-obama-s-short-list-commutation-n705441

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/4940/Will-Obama-pardon-Chelsea-Manning-or-commute-her-sentence#data

Man this is super tempting to jump back in on. No way in hell does Obama pardon her

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

What makes you think that NBC piece is not credible? Is the DoJ just floating this to placate people for a week? What's the point of publicly saying that Manning is "on the short list" this late in the game if there isn't a reasonable chance she gets a commutation? 50% seems like an appropriate price now.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

bawfuls posted:

What makes you think that NBC piece is not credible? Is the DoJ just floating this to placate people for a week? What's the point of publicly saying that Manning is "on the short list" this late in the game if there isn't a reasonable chance she gets a commutation? 50% seems like an appropriate price now.

I think a commutation is probably being considered, based on the news. But I don't think it's the type of case that Obama would actually act on. We will see.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

I think a commutation is probably being considered, based on the news. But I don't think it's the type of case that Obama would actually act on. We will see.

Yeah I'm less certain about that. I'm short pardon Lois Lerner and Hillary - but commuting Manning's sentence seems possible. Not pardon, but commutation.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Vox Nihili posted:

I mean, it's definitely reasonable for the market to be up - it was in low single digits before then. I managed to snag up all the shares from 12-18 on the news, flipped for about $150 or so in the 40s.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The tweet markets have been amazing, making bank

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Hope no one listened to my input on this. I didn't have any shares myself.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Obama not pardoning Clinton is still sitting at 87 cents if anyone wants a quick flip.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
This is a five star thread. Would read again.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Predictit has taught me that when there is an instance where one of two things will happen, the worse of those two things is what will happen 100% of the time.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

Hope no one listened to my input on this. I didn't have any shares myself.

I found your original argument compelling enough to buy 33 shares that she wouldn't be pardoned. That said, I cannot comprehend the suffering that Chelsea Manning has suffered over the last decade and I applaud Obama for showing mercy and compassion. I hope this is the beginning of a path towards peace and healing for her. I am happy happy to have lost this $20 and the only thing that makes this bittersweet is this is the 10000th reminder that we are trading in a leader of integrity and vision, a protector of the environment and of the weak and powerless, a man of honor and morality who was a public servant in the best way imaginable for one that promises darkness, division, and corruption.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I found your original argument compelling enough to buy 33 shares that she wouldn't be pardoned. That said, I cannot comprehend the suffering that Chelsea Manning has suffered over the last decade and I applaud Obama for showing mercy and compassion. I hope this is the beginning of a path towards peace and healing for her. I am happy happy to have lost this $20 and the only thing that makes this bittersweet is this is the 10000th reminder that we are trading in a leader of integrity and vision, a protector of the environment and of the weak and powerless, a man of honor and morality who was a public servant in the best way imaginable for one that promises darkness, division, and corruption.

Hahahahahahahahah

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I would rather Manning die in prison the lose the five bucks I did.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

I would rather Manning die in prison the lose the five bucks I did.

That certainly is one viewpoint.

I didn't look at the market myself but I guess they are counting a commutation as a pardon?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

tangy yet delightful posted:

I didn't look at the market myself but I guess they are counting a commutation as a pardon?
The rules included both as YES options afaik

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

AceRimmer posted:

The rules included both as YES options afaik

Rules used the word "clemency" specifically, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

• Locked thread