Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
you know what really grinds my gate, people with slop execution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Enkmar posted:

eh, I just have fun laying into nerds trying to enforce a certain style of gate

you can use whatever gate you want, I'm just going to continue to encourage new players to not use an objectively worse control scheme. please continue using octogate!

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
friendship ended with square gate, now octogate is my best friend.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

stay depressed posted:

friendship ended with square gate, now octogate is my best friend.

My reasoning is that square is better for quick dp's while octa is better for a rolling motion, easily nailing quarter and half circles. It helps for me getting instant dive kicks and whatnot

oh sorry didn't mean to uh rock the loving boat here

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Enkmar posted:

My reasoning is that square is better for quick dp's while octa is better for a rolling motion, easily nailing quarter and half circles. It helps for me getting instant dive kicks and whatnot

How do you to 2369 inputs with a bar in the way?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Enkmar posted:

If you don't ride the gate (and you're not meant to), squares are just as good at rolling motions. Remember that any stick movement beyond when you trip the switch is wasted.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
See, this is why I play pad, no one can judge me on my gate choice. It's also why I only play characters with braindead execution, but that's besides the point.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

canoshiz posted:

I don't see any octagons. Or even a gate for that matter. The square thing on the right is the piece that actually triggers the microswitches.

In case it wasn't clear enough, it always makes me laugh when people think octo gate is in any way representative of how American sticks (or any stick worth a drat) are constructed, because it clearly indicates that person doesn't know what they're talking about. If you pop the square actuator in position to the squarely-oriented microswitches, guess what kind of movement shape is optimal for triggering the switches evenly

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Bowel Movement?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Riding the gate is not ideal but I have optical switches and there's no noises when the stick actuates and it's just easier for some sort of feedback to ride the gate.

Reiley posted:

How do you to 2369 inputs with a bar in the way?

Well I play as cammy and that's not really something I need to do (unless I'm mistaken) but if it were SFIV and I were trying to do the hooligan combination, I'd just hit the jump button at the end of a 1236 input, it worked very well.

Dias posted:

See, this is why I play pad, no one can judge me on my gate choice. It's also why I only play characters with braindead execution, but that's besides the point.

I don't judge people I just use what I prefer and so should everyone :shobon:

some of the best fighting game players are pad players

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 18, 2017

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Is there a way to modify my stick so I can do left facing DP motions as easily as right facing DP motions when i am, for instance, being lazy and not paying attention to what my hands are doing and/or refuse to practice ever?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

NecroMonster posted:

Is there a way to modify my stick so I can do left facing DP motions as easily as right facing DP motions when i am, for instance, being lazy and not paying attention to what my hands are doing and/or refuse to practice ever?

Make a hitbox. Alternatively pick characters without DP motions.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Enkmar posted:

I don't judge people I just use what I prefer and so should everyone :shobon:

some of the best fighting game players are pad players

I just play on pad but I glue an extremely sharp tack into the up directional button to discourage me from pressing it by accident, and rebind my jump input to left stick click. My body, my choice!

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

How do i make a stick that shitposts for me?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
wow sorry I hosed up your stick hegemony guys

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Do people still have problems with do motion? You can literally do 2323 and dp comes out.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I use a one-quarter circular one-quarter square one-quarter octagonal gate and there's just nothing in the other quadrant at all.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Keegers posted:

You can literally do 2323 and dp comes out.

In SFV 323 works. Also 2626 works for super lol

I can't blame people for using pad in this game, it's basically made for pad/keyboard. The shortcut inputs are straight up more consistent than trying to play it like it's a real fighter.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 18, 2017

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

oh no.

I don't have any problems doing DPs in either direction in SFV.

In fact I don't have any problems when playing SFV of any kind.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
the 11% image but edited so it looks like goatse

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

NecroMonster posted:

Except horrible netcode

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

NecroMonster posted:

oh no.

I don't have any problems doing DPs in either direction in SFV.

Playing SFV is the problem.

By the way, I dunno if it's because I haven't paid much attention to the game but everything seems very quiet since S2 hit. CPT offseason and all, but I wanna see more people realize "neutral-focused, honest gameplay" is now even MORE BS than it once were.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'm low tier scum, am I playing Alex correctly?

- block a lot, answer back with cr.lp and lp slash
- use all medium buttons for poking
- interrupt early mid/long range with elbow slash
- fish for cr.hp->ex knee AA move
- If the person starts blocking elbow slash or has to charge moves start tossing in jumping headbutt grab and powerbomb
- lose
- sometimes don't lose because of some VT fuckery

On wake up I almost always use either fwd+hp or powerbomb

I have no idea how mp or hp slash (non elbow) fits into his game and people in my tier seem to fail answering jumping headbutt grab WAAAAY more often than the jumping stomp move so I almost never use that either. I also feel like standing HK has lost it's usefulness but that might just be me.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
My understanding is that there is currently no way to play Alex correctly

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Alex is the new gief

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I always had a way easier time with Gief than Alex. But I like playing Alex for some reason. I used to have a bitch of a time getting people to block but now I realize that's what the elbow slash is for.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Keegers posted:

Except horrible netcode

I don't have any problems with that either.

The trick is that I don't play SFV at all.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

NecroMonster posted:

I don't have any problems with that either.

The trick is that I don't play SFV at all.

Yeah we got that much

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

LTG is the worst camgirl.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

get that rear end banned

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Brain dead low iq charge characters

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

LTG is the worst camgirl.

I keep getting the feeling that LTG is some kind of deep inside joke on the level of Andy Kaufmann... or at least, that's what I want to believe.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

LTG legit needs medical help.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Keegers posted:

LTG legit needs medical help.

Dude actually believes in Infowars style conspiracy theories and has spent long stretches on stream trying to explain to his audience why his half remembered versions of them are accurate and smart.

Man needs help.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

When did they add Cody to SFV?

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

jim bag
Jun 5, 2004

what about colgate users. does anyone use colgate

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

drscience posted:

what about colgate users. does anyone use colgate

i for reals miss mentadent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Staying true to these characters' origins I see