Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've done it before but it's not terribly interesting for me because even when I try to not expand much I end up ruling a huge area by 1400 or whatever. Also the converter fails to make any countries with good ideas to fight against most times. It's real rare you end up with a good Ottomans or Prussia to fight against. so even if you only rule an area equal to say, 1444 England, you still pretty much win from the EU4 start date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I'm about to play EU4 for the first time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

emoji posted:

I'm about to play EU4 for the first time.

Good luck. Who you playing as?

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
is hearts of iron 4 worth it? I've played all the paradox games for years now but never any of the HOI series and am really tempted to give it a shot just cause it would be new but also feel like I should just boot up victoria 2 again :shrug:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

do you give a poo poo about the air or naval war?

because that's the biggest let down

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I restarted EUIV as Scotland and brefiended Ulster pretty early on. I then started a land war with their rival, Tyron, and every single country around me had major issues with that and I got my rear end kicked.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dunno why it posted that twice lol

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

gotta vassalize the irelands and feed them. no allies only vassals

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay I'll try that

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oh also did you have claims on tyrone because it sounds like you got super ae from a no cb war and then got a coalition against you

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

In Training posted:

Good luck. Who you playing as?

I'm playing as Idiot Noob and got all my poo poo wrecked within the first six months with Burgundy lol

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oddium posted:

oh also did you have claims on tyrone because it sounds like you got super ae from a no cb war and then got a coalition against you

Yeah I thought it'd be good enough if they were a rival of an ally

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

when i play as scotland i usually take ulster or tyrone as vassals because they'll fabricate claims on kildare, who also fabricates a lot because they're in the middle of the island. feed those two ireland and then annex them

it's also important to pull leinster into a war through one of their allies because otherwise they usually ally england

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

what the gently caress

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

apropos to nothing posted:

is hearts of iron 4 worth it? I've played all the paradox games for years now but never any of the HOI series and am really tempted to give it a shot just cause it would be new but also feel like I should just boot up victoria 2 again :shrug:

darkest hour is way better unless you like graphics and an interface that is good

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

do you give a poo poo about the air or naval war?

because that's the biggest let down

it's pretty disappointing they "fixed" the broken naval and aerial AI from hoi3 by just not having those things anymore

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

what the gently caress

Pax Americana

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

it's pretty disappointing they "fixed" the broken naval and aerial AI from hoi3 by just not having those things anymore

I don't mind because I never learn how to do any naval stuff in any map game

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

there's a new stellaris thread in games and it immediately melted down due to the title

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of Stellaris I wonder when they're going to add some freaking content to that game.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
EU: Rome is more dynamic and interesting at the moment

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

wiz is creating stellaris 1.5, which will make the game good

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BBJoey posted:

there's a new stellaris thread in games and it immediately melted down due to the title

I thought you were joking but then looked. Why are people that bent out of shape over a dumb joke/meme for a thread title?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unfunny Poster posted:

I thought you were joking but then looked. Why are people that bent out of shape over a dumb joke/meme for a thread title?

This is the same group of people that got in an endless slapfight over what Collectivist and Individualist really meant and how Paradox is ruining everything because of that

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:staredog:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Yeah, that only reinforces my decision not to follow the Paradox threads in Games anymore.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Stellaris is the only mapgame I regretted buying

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plutonis posted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Plutonis posted:

I had fun in MP at least, especially unpatched when the ships were broken and my friend and I took over a galaxy with 200000 corvettes or w/e they're called

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

1.5 will make it worth it, you'll see

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I don't regret it but I definitely bounced off it faster than any other Paradox game

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like Stellaris but comparednto CK2 or HOI4 its pretty weak.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i regret buying stellaris

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Plutonis posted:

i learned my lesson after sengoku and march of the eagles.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm playing way better after watching a tutorial series. I have two countries I have the ability to Turn into vassals but our economy is too far apart?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

it means they're making too much money compared to you

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BBJoey posted:

it means they're making too much money compared to you

Tyrone ain't cause that poo poo belongs to me now

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game is win but I have to break my civilization habits. I wanted to crush Tyrone totally but in suing for peace I also agreed to a peace deal. Ulster just scored an ally in England so I'm not touching that poo poo now.

I watched a video on saving and producing income but I'm sure I'm missing something. Is there a way to increase tax revenue or insure my merchants bring in more ducats? Every where I send them they bring in less that 1 ducat a month

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

frank.club posted:

This game is win but I have to break my civilization habits. I wanted to crush Tyrone totally but in suing for peace I also agreed to a peace deal. Ulster just scored an ally in England so I'm not touching that poo poo now.

I watched a video on saving and producing income but I'm sure I'm missing something. Is there a way to increase tax revenue or insure my merchants bring in more ducats? Every where I send them they bring in less that 1 ducat a month

to make money from trade, you need more trade power in centers of trade upstream of yours. you can build light ships, marketplaces, or just conquer territory (especially provinces marked as centers of trade/estuaries/etc).

as scotland, though, you aren't gonna have much trade income until you either build a colonial empire in canada or conquer london. your home node, the north sea, just isn't that great.

are you turning down your land maintenance and turning off fort maintenance during peacetime? that's really important!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PleasingFungus posted:

to make money from trade, you need more trade power in centers of trade upstream of yours. you can build light ships, marketplaces (eventually), or just conquer territory (especially provinces marked as centers of trade/estuaries/etc).

as scotland, though, you aren't gonna have much trade income until you either build a colonial empire in canada or conquer london.

are you turning down your land maintenance and turning off fort maintenance during peacetime? that's really important!

Fleet maintenance as well