Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Herstory Begins Now posted:

What would be a good way to ease people into that? Maybe some bodyweight squats, pushups, burpees, etc. that they can opt out of at any time? Oh wait

If your question is how do you design an S&C routine that doesn't nearly kill people I'd suggest doing it the way every other team in the country does it, because they aren't almost killing people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

What would be a good way to ease people into that? Maybe some bodyweight squats, pushups, burpees, etc. that they can opt out of at any time? Oh wait

maybe an actual training program that doesn't sound like a 100 day challenge, but thrown into one hour?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Bacon Taco posted:

LOL, Arizona football stunk up the place in the 80s when I was an undergrad there! Aside from a couple of notable seasons, such as the Desert Swarm years, Arizona is always terrible at football. U of A has always been much more focused on baseball and basketball, both from an institutional standpoint and from a fan standpoint. Football is an afterthought there and always has been.

The problem is they haven't been terrible for a while and the journey back to terrible is painful.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

big money big clit posted:

An hour of continuous push ups and up downs is exactly the kind of thing that causes Rhabdo. Low weight high rep work for extended duration is a pretty good description for how to cause Rhabdo, especially if it's targeting muscle groups that aren't built for that kind of constant load, like the upper arms.

Being fit doesn't prevent Rhabdo, and can probably contribute since those people are more likely to push through pain and have the cardiovascular strength to keep working at moderate intensity for long periods.

It's the sort of thing you see at lovely crossfit gyms do to people, but you'd hope a professional S&C coach would know better, especially at a place like Oregon where money to pay good people isn't in short supply.

Most of the people getting rhabdo in crossfit afaik are newer, untrained, out of shape people who are trying to keep up with people who are in shape and train regularly. Which is p much exactly what happened here. Having more muscle mass and better adaptations for endurance is absolutely going to lower an individuals chances of getting rhabdo. If you have more muscle mass it can endure more microtears before you hit the point of cascading damage.

That said I 110% agree that this situation is loving ridiculous for the UO to go through on like 15 different levels and it's loving criminal that the S&C has been so mismanaged and poorly run. I've also been here bitching about garbage Oregon S&C for about a year now, so this is my dumb pet peeve, forgive me.

Dilber posted:

maybe an actual training program that doesn't sound like a 100 day challenge, but thrown into one hour?

I mean those pinterest 100 day challenges are almost always for completely sedentary out of shape people, anyone who is passingly fit shouldn't have much problem with em at all. Especially not anyone who has supposedly been under the supervision of a ridiculously well-funded S&C program at a school that generally treats athletics like a religion.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 18, 2017

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Most of the people getting rhabdo in crossfit afaik are newer, untrained, out of shape people who are trying to keep up with people who are in shape and train regularly. Having more muscle mass and better adaptations for endurance is absolutely going to lower an individuals chances of getting rhabdo.

That said I 110% agree that this situation is loving ridiculous for the UO to go through on like 15 different levels and it's loving criminal that the S&C has been so mismanaged and poorly run. I've also been here bitching about garbage Oregon S&C for about a year now, so this is my dumb pet peeve.

Hey man. Do you do crossfit. It's ok if you do. Inquiring minds want to know.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Emron posted:

Hey man. Do you do crossfit. It's ok if you do. Inquiring minds want to know.

Hell no, I just remember the era when crossfit was giving 40 year old guys who thought they were still 20 rhabdo on an almost daily basis. Even CF mostly fixed that.

UO S&C: literally worse than crossfit

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If your players are slacking off in the gym maybe revoke their scholarship or something? Demote them to backups? Plenty of other guys would like to play for the Ducks

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I know exactly one person who ever did crossfit, and they were in incredible shape. Until they got rhabdo. So according to my highly scientific study, 100% of crossfit people get rhabdo.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
100% percent of crossfit people deserve rhabdo, at least

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

#wod #reps #box #crushit #rhabdo

#literallyafuckingcult

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Korranus posted:

Strong visit to Clemson but the kid tweeted he's still a Bama lean

He said Bama has a 'huge lead' but it's 'not that big' which is a statement that definitely makes sense.

All the experts are calling him for Michigan now, so I predict that he's signing with Georgia

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It amazes me that that stupid loving rhabdo clown is the mascot of crossfit and people think it is cool and funny. Morons

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Korranus posted:

Strong visit to Clemson but the kid tweeted he's still a Bama lean

But what does the nephew think?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

got any sevens posted:

If your players are slacking off in the gym maybe revoke their scholarship or something? Demote them to backups? Plenty of other guys would like to play for the Ducks

It included some of the NFL bound guys, as well who Helfrich p much depended upon to keep his job. The half-assing workouts was pretty pervasive. There's a reason why there were only a handful of guys on the team who were actually jacked and a bunch who looked like your average guy who goes to the gym semi-consistently. You're right though that Helfrich and staff absolutely should have put their foot down and done something about it, I'm honestly kinda curious where his and his staffs' attention was that this poo poo went on for so long.

I always feel bad for making GBS threads on Helfrich (and co.) because he is extremely bright and, more importantly, by all accounts a truly good, solid guy.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 19, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
An Oklahoma CB was arrested for a spree of armed robberies in the Waco area.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Finally, a crime in Waco that doesn't involve Baylor!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Does anything good ever happen in Waco?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Noctone posted:

100% percent of crossfit people deserve rhabdo, at least

If you think about it, leaving a period off the end is like kipping a post

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

got any sevens posted:

One of the religious sects there had a killer barbecue once

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

got any sevens posted:

It's an excellent stop between DFW and Austin/San Antonio.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

got any sevens posted:

lots and lots of shiplap

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

KKKLIP ART posted:

lots and lots of shiplap

I hesitate to ask what this is.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

got any sevens posted:

Jennifer Love-Hewitt was born there, and the world would be slightly worse without her amazing rack? Steve Martin? :iiam:

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

AsInHowe posted:

I hesitate to ask what this is.

Something boring white people like.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KKKLIP ART posted:

lots and lots of shiplap

I'm so mad I understand this reference. gently caress that show

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MourningView posted:

I'm so mad I understand this reference. gently caress that show

I don't. :saddowns: Could you help a cracka out?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I've never found shiplap in my house. I am so disappoint :(.

Oh wait, no, I'm not, because my house was built in a more modern era.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

whiteyfats posted:

I don't. :saddowns: Could you help a cracka out?

HGTV show Fixer Upper

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

got any sevens posted:

The FBI owned some fools there

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Finally, a crime in Waco that doesn't involve Baylor!

Or the FBI.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

vikingstrike posted:

HGTV show Fixer Upper

Which I don't mind that much except for the fact that every third homeowner is associated with Baylor football and they play up the Baylor Bears. Chip and Joanna must get a shitton of $$$ to make Baylor Football look like a bunch of regular people instead of the den of iniquity it is.

gently caress Baylor.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bacon Taco posted:

Which I don't mind that much except for the fact that every third homeowner is associated with Baylor football and they play up the Baylor Bears. Chip and Joanna must get a shitton of $$$ to make Baylor Football look like a bunch of regular people instead of the den of iniquity it is.

gently caress Baylor.

gently caress them for hiring Ken Starr and the poo poo he did too

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Waco did invent Dr Pepper, so there's that

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

and therefore The CFB Playoffs!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

of all the HGTV DIY style shows, Fixer Upper is the least bad but that isn't exactly a high bar to cross.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sash! posted:

Waco did invent Dr Pepper, so there's that

Dr. Pepper is a quality drink.

Also. I think FSU and Clemson are the two most SEC teams not actually in the SEC.

I mean, if the SEC just gobbled them up it's like the conference would just get more SEC. Certainly a better fit than Aggy or Mizzou.

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 19, 2017

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

whiteyfats posted:

Its no Cheerwine

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

KKKLIP ART posted:

of all the HGTV DIY style shows, Fixer Upper is the least bad but that isn't exactly a high bar to cross.

don't talk poo poo about my decorator waifu

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

whiteyfats posted:

Also. I think FSU and Clemson are the two most SEC teams not actually in the SEC.

Ew to the second part, but not the first part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KKKLIP ART posted:

Its no Cheerwine

Cheerwine is pretty nice.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Ew to the second part, but not the first part

Hell, I didn't say I wanted them in the SEC.

• Locked thread