Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cage posted:

Good news you just unlocked MORE SPEED.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

You should be okay if you dont mind your tires looking slightly meatier and a slightly off-speedo.

Or you could fix your speedo :shrug:

I like the method where you get a buddy to go 60 right next to you, then you pull apart your speedo and hand adjust it.

But I hear you can just recalibrate your computer slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Powershift posted:

Source? they specifically mention the 3.3 as being direct injection, but simply said the 5.0 is getting significant upgrades.

The bullshit rumors from december said it was going to be replaced with a 4.8 liter direct injection V8 but the first half of that is obviously already wrong.

Not surprised by this. Stock coyote heads already have provision for DI and the blocks should well be strong enough. Its likely they had full on prototypes running DI at some point.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mmmm... MRC...

I want a Mustang, my SO wants to have kids. Can the two be reconciled? :ohdear:

(yes, she has a cross-over but it's more the practical requirement to have two vehicles that can fit kids...). Maybe a Challenger is the middle ground :v:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Mmmm... MRC...

(yes, she has a cross-over but it's more the practical requirement to have two vehicles that can fit kids...). Maybe a Challenger is the middle ground :v:

I was dating someone with two little girls (8 and 4) and had two carseats in the back of my 5.0 for a while and it's not that big a deal. Once they get full-grown those back seats would be ridiculous but for little kids I don't think it's worse than anything else. Just, you know, appreciate that you will be getting various biological fluids all over things.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Phanatic posted:

I was dating someone with two little girls (8 and 4) and had two carseats in the back of my 5.0 for a while and it's not that big a deal. Once they get full-grown those back seats would be ridiculous but for little kids I don't think it's worse than anything else. Just, you know, appreciate that you will be getting various biological fluids all over things.

So what you're saying is, spring for leather seats.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

RFC2324 posted:

Or you could fix your speedo :shrug:

I like the method where you get a buddy to go 60 right next to you, then you pull apart your speedo and hand adjust it.

But I hear you can just recalibrate your computer slightly.

I've now come to realize that because TireRack gave me a winter wheel/tire package that was taller/narrower that all my nerdy statistics about distance and MPG are off by 1.354%. I've gotta go back and fix everything now!! :derp:

edit if anyone cares: ... so if I get the wider/shorter tires, my odometer would indicate 100,000 miles driven after only 91,664 actual miles. Do people scam odometers by doing the opposite?

edit2 just because I don't want to interrupt body style chat: I must be wrong here because my odometer indicated the same distance to work before/after the winter tires.

vote_no fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 18, 2017

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Yeah, it's really infants I'm concerned about. I haven't found much for rear-facing infant seats fitting back there.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

When they are little it will be fine. Later you will wish you got a Charger or something else 4 door.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Facelift is officially official. https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2017/01/17/new-ford-mustang-design-technology-performance.html

Important bits:

DI 5.0 with increased compression, power/torque higher but unkown
overboost on the 2.3
10 speed autos.
V6 is dead.
Option for a 12 inch all digital LCD cluster.
magneride performance package option

and most importantly, ORANGE loving FURY

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Yikes, that front end.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Based on this info, I like the '18s, but not to the extent I feel like I gottahaveit. Kinda hoping the 2018 changes will result in the '17s getting some big incentives later this year. But then again my 2011 is chugging along so smoothly I have no strong need to dump it yet. (Knock on wood)

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Not sure how I feel about killing a V6 on a traditional american muscle car.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

The only '18 option I will be missing on my '16 is the magnaride. Otherwise I don't like the front end updates at all, and I can't imagine going to an all LCD dash and giving up my slick gauges.

Though I wonder if Ford will offer the option for the 15-17 models to add the magnaride package as an afterthought and have the computer reprogrammed for it. I'd consider dropping that $$$$.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jan 18, 2017

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Vahakyla posted:

Not sure how I feel about killing a V6 on a traditional american muscle car.

I'm semi-curious to see if rental firms will upgrade to the turbo 4, or downgrade to an all-Camaro fleet.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Alot of rental places already have ecoboosts so dropping the v6 probably won't be too big of a deal.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Buhbuhj posted:

Alot of rental places already have ecoboosts so dropping the v6 probably won't be too big of a deal.

And some of them like Hertz at airports around here have the V8 (*makes the sign*) as an option. Sadly Hertz at National didn't when I was up there in November, so I had to slum it in an automatic V6 convertible.

It was acceptable I guess, fuckin' great with the top down.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I like the new front end, but sure if I love it. The mag ride and digital dash though... :D

The V6 was always on life support.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Mmmm... MRC...

I had an STI hatchback when my son was born (basically the perfect enthusiast family car) and three months after that I replaced it with a GT350. Even with the rear facing car seat in the back my wife can easily sit in the passenger seat (she's an average height). What I'm saying is you should get a GT350 because it makes for a great family cat.

I can post pictures as proof if you need it for your SO.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I had an STI hatchback when my son was born (basically the perfect enthusiast family car) and three months after that I replaced it with a GT350. Even with the rear facing car seat in the back my wife can easily sit in the passenger seat (she's an average height). What I'm saying is you should get a GT350 because it makes for a great family cat.

I can post pictures as proof if you need it for your SO.

I'd love a picture proving baby/kid seats can fit. A 350 is too rich for my blood, but a new GT I'll be able to swing when it comes time.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Somehow, I always manage to land a V8 Mustang or Camaro when I rent one.

Of course, it's always in places where the traffic/cops/altitude suck.

quote:

you should get a GT350 because it makes for a great family cat.

Mew thread title please.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I'll miss the V6 because I think they sound pretty awesome with a full exhaust. Turbo-4 noises have always been kind of a letdown to me.

https://youtu.be/bDAHDHUjHUw

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

Mental Hospitality posted:

I'll miss the V6 because I think they sound pretty awesome with a full exhaust. Turbo-4 noises have always been kind of a letdown to me.

4 pots nearly all sound poo poo.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Almost all of them sound like fart pipes or weed-whackers or farting weed-whackers.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

oRenj9 posted:

Mew thread title please.

I stand by that incredibly dumb statement.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Mental Hospitality posted:

That's fine because even the most mildly modded Ecoboost will be too far away for the V6 driver to hear how bad it sounds. (also applies to most GT's as well)
😈

The Coyote and especially the Voodoo are some of the best sounding motors on this planet so that's not really fair haha.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
A lot of people don't like the way the voodoo sounds. It's so brutal though I gotta love it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

BrownieVK posted:

That's fine because even the most mildly modded Ecoboost will be too far away for the V6 driver to hear how bad it sounds. (also applies to most GT's as well)
😈

The Coyote and especially the Voodoo are some of the best sounding motors on this planet so that's not really fair haha.
It'd take a good amount of work for an EB mustang to be that far in front of a coyote mustang.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Buhbuhj posted:

A lot of people don't like the way the voodoo sounds. It's so brutal though I gotta love it.

We ask those people politely, yet firmly, to leave.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

ilkhan posted:

It'd take a good amount of work for an EB mustang to be that far in front of a coyote mustang.

Yeah I was gonna say....

You'd have to do a fairly impressive amount of tinkering to get an EB to straight up destroy a 5.0 in that kind of fashion.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

I'd love a picture proving baby/kid seats can fit. A 350 is too rich for my blood, but a new GT I'll be able to swing when it comes time.

lovely cellphone pic count?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

ilkhan posted:

While a (heavily) modded EB can keep up with a coyote I'm assuming he's talking about the older pre-coyote GTs.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Buhbuhj posted:

While a (heavily) modded EB can keep up with a coyote I'm assuming he's talking about the older pre-coyote GTs.
Maybe, but it wasn't worded that way, and isn't really a fair comparison in that case.

I'm kind of surprised they didn't add the 3.5EB-II to the engine lineup.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

I'm choosing to parse it as a GT also being way out in front of a V6.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

ilkhan posted:

I'm kind of surprised they didn't add the 3.5EB-II to the engine lineup.

A lot of people think the next GT500 is probably going to have a 3.5 twin turbo setup but who knows.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Buhbuhj posted:

A lot of people think the next GT500 is probably going to have a 3.5 twin turbo setup but who knows.
I have no doubt the next GT500 will be a 3.5EB engine, the only question is how much boost they feed it. Though I'm also surprised it wasn't released for MY2017, so who knows.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I'm choosing to parse it as a GT also being way out in front of a V6.
That... makes more sense. :)

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The update is growing on me. Maybe it's the darker color.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

That does look better.

On another note, can I run my convertible through the local car wash? It doesn't use nylon brushes, but like these hangy clothish things. Then it is hand dried, vacuumed, and treated. It's $28 as opposed to $135 - $150 for a mobile detailing.

Edit: I know I need to take the rear antenna off.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I would avoid any automatic that's not touchless, personally.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Powershift posted:

I would avoid any automatic that's not touchless, personally.

:chloe: that's what I was afraid of. Mobile detailing it is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Some things just aren't worth dying for.