Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Albert Pyun made an awesome cyberpunk movie called Nemesis that I've talked about a lot in other threads. However, he also made some awful sequels to it, the last of which is a horrendously weird and awful Ghost in the Shell wannabe titled Nemesis IV: Cry of Angels that some here might enjoy as a bizarre, ultra low budget live action riff on the Ghost in the Shell movie that has so much gratuitous nudity it makes any other Ghost in the Shell adaptation seem tame. The entire movie is on YouTube.

Some theaters are still doing limited screenings of the 1995 film if anyone here hasn't seen it, that'd be a great way to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Funimation is putting the 1995 movie back out on the 7th and 8th of February. One night subs and one night dubs.

http://www.funimationfilms.com/movie/ghostintheshell/

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

USA only, I think. If you're like me and in Canada-- and in a big city-- check your little local theatres. The Rio in Vancouver screened it last year and I imagine they'll do it again leading up to the new movie's release.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Albert Pyun made an awesome cyberpunk movie called Nemesis that I've talked about a lot in other threads. However, he also made some awful sequels to it, the last of which is a horrendously weird and awful Ghost in the Shell wannabe titled Nemesis IV: Cry of Angels that some here might enjoy as a bizarre, ultra low budget live action riff on the Ghost in the Shell movie that has so much gratuitous nudity it makes any other Ghost in the Shell adaptation seem tame. The entire movie is on YouTube.

I've gotta catch this. I love Pyun and Nemesis.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I tried to watch Nemesis but like the first 40 minutes are just them walking around this burning brick building and it takes forever.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
My personal gripe with what the trailers have shown so far is how the Major carries herself and particularly how she speaks.

In the manga and in the movie, both english and japanese, she is a strong person, with a very self-confident sense of humor, who enjoys her work and does it with economy, which is reflected in both her movements and the way she talks in a curt and clear manner. When she's not messing with people, she's either talking in command voice, or at least in a no-nonsense voice.

Meanwhile the trailer takes the time to linger on her face being shaky while on top of the building, has her being whispery, has her not using the network for work comms, has none of the joking around with batou before the jump, doesn't even bother to show her smile of enjoyment of that jump, and proceeds to have her be even more whispery, emo and insecure in scenes later on in the movie.

It seems like nobody else i know has picked up on that aspect yet. Am i just seeing things? Or are they building her character on some other GITS continuity i am not recalling where she's weak?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Why are you acting surprised that this movie is going to be bad?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I'm not particularly surprised, just doubting myself a little on the observations above. I've seen literally nobody else talk about all the little details in how Johansson behaves differently from the Major other than vague "her acting bad lol" or "she's too stiff!". (I think she's not nearly stiff enough.)

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I think everyone has been chalking it up to Scarjo being bad at her job. It's just one more condiment on a poo poo sandwich.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
In the original movie, the Major is very robotic. She doesn't emote much and she doesn't even blink. That did a lot for selling her as a barely human cyborg in an anime, but it doesn't leave much for an actress to create an interesting performance.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
This movie is going to be bad because it's not like my cartoons.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rough Lobster posted:

In the original movie, the Major is very robotic. She doesn't emote much and she doesn't even blink. That did a lot for selling her as a barely human cyborg in an anime, but it doesn't leave much for an actress to create an interesting performance.

Yeah, it'd take some kind of experienced master thespian to craft such a rendition.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

UmOk posted:

This movie is going to be bad because it's not like my cartoons.

It is like the cartoon, just not my cartoon

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
SPOILER: The 2017 film will be different from the 1995 film.

Images that look similar are actually completely recontextualized.

One is live action with CG embellishments, and the other is a cel-animated cartoon.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

There's more to acting than how you move. How you talk is also extemely important. And while the original Major moved peculiarly, she made up for it with wit and character in voice. Jo is both moving too humanly, and not talking humanly enough. (Altho it seems they're also dropping perfect opportunities for acting, e.g. the smile during the jump, on the floor for no discernible reason.)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mithaldu posted:

There's more to acting than how you move. How you talk is also extemely important. And while the original Major moved peculiarly, she made up for it with wit and character in voice. Jo is both moving too humanly, and not talking humanly enough. (Altho it seems they're also dropping perfect opportunities for acting, e.g. the smile during the jump, on the floor for no discernible reason.)

Discernible...from the trailer?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

DeimosRising posted:

Discernible...from the trailer?

This. Case in point: all the dialogue and scenes in the Rogue One trailers that either didn't appear or was completely changed in the actual movie. Not to mention, we've only seen the very first trailer.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Rough Lobster posted:

This. Case in point: all the dialogue and scenes in the Rogue One trailers that either didn't appear or was completely changed in the actual movie. Not to mention, we've only seen the very first trailer.

a goon smashed up all of the 3 second teaser clips last year and put music from the 1995 movie in it and then got an invite to some PR event

the director isn't nearly that clever.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Mithaldu posted:

It seems like nobody else i know has picked up on that aspect yet. Am i just seeing things? Or are they building her character on some other GITS continuity i am not recalling where she's weak?

I guess that kinda may be why I don't have high hopes from the trailer?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
A strong, confident, funny and above all competent female character would have hurt the box office.

Now let's all watch two shy nonthreatening whispery lesbians kiss.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MariusLecter posted:

A strong, confident, funny and above all competent female character would have hurt the box office.

Now let's all watch two shy nonthreatening whispery lesbians kiss.

When the bisexual woman protagonist dating the black woman must also be slightly smug in order for your consumption of this blockbuster to be 'ethical', that's when your identity politics have fully crossed the line into fetishism.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

When the bisexual woman protagonist dating the black woman must also be slightly smug in order for your consumption of this blockbuster to be 'ethical', that's when your identity politics have fully crossed the line into fetishism.

Except that's not what he said at all. Highly advanced chatbot etc etc, I get it, but unless you're deliberately being reductive, I'm not sure how you got "slightly smug" out of "strong, confident, funny and above all competent."

(Granted, it is dumb to assume that the character will be handled poorly based on a trailer, but still.)

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
That's what he's saying, though - this "strong, confident, funny and above all competent" figure is a projection. It's an ascription of value to histrionics, overt displays that sutures the spectator within a 'relatable' emotional framework. It's akin to when folks used to grouse that Clark Kent doesn't care enough in Man of Steel/Beavis - a tacit expression in favor of excessive pride in action spectacle divorced from context.

Like, clearly Major is still both strong and competent, at least as far as what the trailers display. So leaving all that aside, we can focus on her sense of humor (quips) and her confidence/pride (what SMG derides as smugness, in the performance of reactionary political violence). Why does Major need either of these traits, and why is their absence somehow indicative of 'selling out,' that the filmmakers did it so as not to offend the conservative box office? Is there any basis for saying that humorless and insecure heroine is actually a Hollywood stereotype? Or is it more accurate to say that "strong, confident, funny, competent" Major has been serialized and capitalized upon far more extensively, and is contemporaneous with international action figures embodying the same reactionary political roles, histrionics be damned?

The derisive post already makes zero sense, so all that's left is to un-package what we're really talking about, which is whether or not Major, in any manifestation, could satiate the perversions of consumer fanatics - whether characterization actually matters at all, or if fans are instead seeking a confirmation of prejudice.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm not sure how you got "slightly smug" out of "strong, confident, funny and above all competent."

It's when a 'strong female character' is defined as "bothering to show her smile of enjoyment" when she kills people instead of being "emo and insecure" when she kills people.

Strong female characterization has nothing to do with literal strength or 'strength of will', or how effective she is at killing in a genre movie. It has nothing to do with being a role model. It refers to the strength of the writing - and the costume design, acting, cinematography... all the things that contribute to characterization. Moreover, it refers to your ability to read these formal qualities of the film in order to understand the character.

A well-written female character with 'insecurity' as a character trait is still a strong character.

Mithaldu and MariusLecter are taking the opposite approach and demanding a hyperspecific vision of acceptable femininity, so that even the way the actress walks is 'too stereotypical'. This ironically objectifies Johannsen by declaring her entire performance the work of men. She's dismissed as a sex object, a fake woman with no motivations of her own, because 'real women' show their smile of enjoyment, wear the right clothes, and kiss the right people....

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

It's when a 'strong female character' is defined as "bothering to show her smile of enjoyment" when she kills people instead of being "emo and insecure" when she kills people.

But the person you're responding to never defined it as that, unless I missed something. The specific complaint is that insecurity is at odds with the Major's character in other GitS works; her characterization in the original works is stoic and consummately professional, not smug or showing any kind of "smile of enjoyment." Smugness would be every bit as foreign and jarring as insecurity.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 19, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

But the person you're responding to never defined it as that, unless I missed something. The specific complaint is that insecurity is at odds with the Major's character in other GitS works; her characterization in the original works is stoic and consummately professional, not smug or showing any kind of "smile of enjoyment." Smugness would be every bit as foreign and jarring as insecurity.

The protest for a James Cameron's Ripley liberal-feminist icon is directly linked to the NOT MY KUSUNAGI complaint about deviation from an 'authentic source material'.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It's a silly complaint anyway because even in Stand Alone Complex (which was a pretty bad show) where Major was basically Robot Chick David Caruso 90% of the time, she actually did have doubts and worries about whether she was still a person and who she was before she got robotted and etc., they just had 24 episodes to string it out with. (IIRC there's an episode where she rescues some Chinese kid from the Triads or something and during a quiet moment where he's talking about how it must be great to be her &c. she gives him an idea how hosed up she is). This movie has to squeeze a character arc into two and a half hours.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The protest for a James Cameron's Ripley liberal-feminist icon is directly linked to the NOT MY KUSUNAGI complaint about deviation from an 'authentic source material'.

...okay?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

It's when a 'strong female character' is defined
You're conflating strength of will and strength of writing, and ascribing comments on one to me as comments on another.

PS: Also loving lol at the declaration of the character of the Major in the original works being a "vision". Some friends i have would be happy to know they could only be fictional.

Rough Lobster posted:

As much as i want to be so hilariously wrong on all of this, i see no chance of the movie faithfully reproducing the first assault scene in spite of the trailer.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 19, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mithaldu posted:

You're conflating strength of will and strength of writing, and ascribing comments on one to me as comments on another.

PS: Also loving lol at the declaration of the character of the Major in the original works being a "vision". Some friends i have would be happy to know they could only be fictional.

That's not what 'conflating' means.

And your desire for the character to be your friend is precisely the issue.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

We can go with confusing, if that makes you happier. Either way, you're loving things up and putting words in people's mouths. And additionally you're now putting motivations on me that are completely unrelated to reality.

Gotta admit, at least you put effort into your shitposting.
vvvv

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 19, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

It's a silly complaint anyway because even in Stand Alone Complex (which was a pretty bad show) where Major was basically Robot Chick David Caruso 90% of the time, she actually did have doubts and worries about whether she was still a person and who she was before she got robotted and etc., they just had 24 episodes to string it out with... This movie has to squeeze a character arc into two and a half hours.

It's even simpler than that: Implying that Major kissing a virtually anemic, shorn-hair woman of color is a reactionary compromise when contrasted with a voluptuous cartoon character who is persistently and consciously objectified is inane. This is nowhere even close to a critical feminist assertion - it is merely an arbitrary expression of displeasure towards a (female) character not conforming to a particular mode of performance, which co-opts progressive memes to imply there is some 'deeper,' ethical consumption at work.

There is no ethical consumption. The relationship of fans to Major was always perverse, and the live action adaptation has merely brought this perversion to the surface. You get no points for criticizing a trailer for reminding you that sexism, anti-queer bigotry, and racism are things that you should feel guilty about. We all have to feel guilty, forever.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

K. Waste posted:

We all have to feel guilty, forever.

If you say so.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mogomra posted:

If you say so.

In fact, CD regulars saying something makes it less likely to be so.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

K. Waste posted:

It's even simpler than that: Implying that Major kissing a virtually anemic, shorn-hair woman of color is a reactionary compromise when contrasted with a voluptuous cartoon character who is persistently and consciously objectified is inane. This is nowhere even close to a critical feminist assertion - it is merely an arbitrary expression of displeasure towards a (female) character not conforming to a particular mode of performance, which co-opts progressive memes to imply there is some 'deeper,' ethical consumption at work.

There is no ethical consumption. The relationship of fans to Major was always perverse, and the live action adaptation has merely brought this perversion to the surface. You get no points for criticizing a trailer for reminding you that sexism, anti-queer bigotry, and racism are things that you should feel guilty about. We all have to feel guilty, forever.

And this is inextricably linked to the demand for 'likeable characters', the unironic deployment of middleschool clique designations (this fake Kusunagi is not my friend, because she's an emo).

Things wrap back around to the worst essentialism: the assertion is that women just naturally 'are' strong, funny, confident, Ripley, stoic, funny, liberal... and the only reason they aren't Ripley is because of the dastardly patriarchy holding them back. Hence the fantasy of the original comic's purity, to which this new film must be held up as a degenerate copy.

Nothing was ever natural. Mind - identity - can only emerge from a network of social relations and material supplements. Ripley is a hero of late capitalism. That's what Ghost In The Shell is about.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Wow, you really like reusing this "highschool" accusation.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mithaldu posted:

Wow, you really like reusing this "highschool" accusation.

SMG is an advanced chatbot, designed to write truthfully and accurately about neo-Marxism and postmodern relativism. Just let it do its thing.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
A Major that listens to [e: a bad cover of] The Cure?[ee: DEPECHE MODE goddammit] hosed up.

eee: I'm more of a Duran Duran guy honestly

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 19, 2017

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

And this is inextricably linked to the demand for 'likeable characters', the unironic deployment of middleschool clique designations (this fake Kusunagi is not my friend, because she's an emo).

Things wrap back around to the worst essentialism: the assertion is that women just naturally 'are' strong, funny, confident, Ripley, stoic, funny, liberal... and the only reason they aren't Ripley is because of the dastardly patriarchy holding them back. Hence the fantasy of the original comic's purity, to which this new film must be held up as a degenerate copy.

Nothing was ever natural. Mind - identity - can only emerge from a network of social relations and material supplements. Ripley is a hero of late capitalism. That's what Ghost In The Shell is about.
I thought that Ripley was a space trucker who called out her evil corporate employers for being possibly worse than the rape monsters who keep murdering everyone she cares about.

When you say that Ripley is a hero of late capitalism, what do you mean? On the one hand, I'd agree in the sense that she takes an ethical stance against the crappiness of that system and then dies for it. On the other, you seem to be criticizing people who appreciated 1995 Kusanagi's character traits, and presumably appreciated the same traits in Ripley. I'm confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ersatz posted:

I thought that Ripley was a space trucker who called out her evil corporate employers for being possibly worse than the rape monsters who keep murdering everyone she cares about.

I'm specifically referring to James Cameron's film Aliens, where the threat is understood not as capitalism but merely conservatism, and Ripley is fighting for corporations to become 'more progressive'. I wrote about it in more detail over in the Alien thread:

"Aliens is a rather-good film about a woman who fights to protect the Weyland-Yutani corporation from unfashionably greedy employees, stodgy bureaucracy, and alien attack 'from outside'.

Of course this is not her explicit motivation. Ripley simply wants a higher-paying and more prestigious job within the corporation, and to raise a family. But the unavoidable conclusion is that, for all her dreams to come true, Weyland-Yutani must be kept intact."

• Locked thread