Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

Sinners Sandwich posted:

XXXHolic is good and worth reading.

The style really doesn't translate well to motion. The characters still have noodle appendages, but when still they just look stylized. Plus, the manga doesn't use screentones, which gives it a really unique-looking style that the anime lacks.

And here's some fanart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Heath posted:

How else would you know it's female

Pink bow.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

-2 penalty to Strength

:goonsay:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Rangpur posted:

-2 penalty to Strength :twisted:

Just drop her intelligence enough to be eligible for retard strength, it should more than make up for it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I bet the Xenomorph also has heels.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Olanphonia posted:

Here's a passable impression from the Mass Effect thread: https://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_ojc5qhtnQa1qkbwd6o1.mp3

This is absolutely fantastic.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I feel like I'm missing something because you're commenting on the alien tits and completely ignoring the predator tits, and fishnets and...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Thank you Invictus for linking the Undertale speed run awhile back, I just finished it. Please keep posting more Undertale fanart, I enjoy it!
I never submitted the reply to this I had on my phone, but I'm glad you enjoyed the speedrun, it's such a fun one in a variety of game-breaking ways even if someone doesn't like undertale. My favorite bit is probably the part where he bugs out the Alphys phone call and the whole thing straight up melts onscreen due to the glitch, accompanied by a terrible noise.

And the undertale fanart will keep on rolling indefinitely, as I have not even dug through even a hundredth of what I've been looking through so far.

remove the L at the end of the filename for big

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Kennel posted:

Pink bow.

Eyelashes also acceptable

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

RareAcumen posted:

I bet the Xenomorph also has heels.

The original design already has heels for some reason.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Disproportionation posted:

The original design already has heels for some reason.

How else are you supposed to tell that it's female?

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_ohbv7bnphd1rhk3pj_480.mp4#_=_

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

RareAcumen posted:

How else are you supposed to tell that it's female?
https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_ohbv7bnphd1rhk3pj_480.mp4#_=_

....This is fanart of poop emojji made out of syrup? Is this the point in my life where I'm now officially old?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's a cgi animation test

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

....This is fanart of poop emojji made out of syrup? Is this the point in my life where I'm now officially old?

It's just animated so I threw it in here for no good reason.

https://twitter.com/Coelasquid/status/819465450610302976

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

we dont need no water let that pokeyman burn

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.

More of this please. Or the artist name of you have it?

EmilBraun
Jul 13, 2015

Man, that's strong.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Garrand posted:

I feel like I'm missing something because you're commenting on the alien tits and completely ignoring the predator tits, and fishnets and...

The fishnet is canonical to the movie.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I just do not understand this one :psyduck: am I missing something??

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

FirstAidKite posted:

I just do not understand this one :psyduck: am I missing something??

Had to look it up myself, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWsq0aiArxw

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I...am relatively certain I've never heard that line before in the dk rap.

I haven't listened to the dk rap in a while. Huh.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I was lost as hell but it clicked when I saw the tumblr post which captioned it "C'mon Cranky!".

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Ramos posted:

a saiyan needs stinky balls to be a true warrior

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

DentD posted:

DentD posted:

Looked around and found it.

http://oldzio-olditore.tumblr.com/post/154707559464/make-the-right-life-choices-guys

But really, it's not about finding the single best ingredient. It's about crafting that perfect blend of meat, egg and shrimp. That harmony of flavors is key. Makes you appreciate how delicious these noodles really are.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Let's meet the best family of the previous generation

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's about to get a lot worse too.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Half those people are illegal immigrants wtf

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

FAPPO!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Half those people are illegal immigrants wtf

To be fair, impoverished people voting against their own interest is the soul and core of the Republican party. And why wouldn't a Mexican vote for Trump? He ate a loving taco bowl, what the gently caress else do you want?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
WINER

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Who's the spiky haired kid?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Okay, so this is D.Va:

D.Va, AKA Hana Song is a nineteen-year-old professional Starcraft player from Korea. There isn’t a perfect analogy, but in Korea, Pro Gamers aren’t viewed the way western gamers are, they’re held in a closer regard to professional athletes, or even rock stars. D.Va’s name is indicative of her personality: She’s a celebrity diva. She’s confident to a fault, she’s courageous and a bit cocky, she’s charming and she knows how to work an audience. Her fame as a pro Starcraft player has led to a career as an actress, which brought her fame worldwide.

At age 16, through a “last starfighter/pacific rim” type situation, the Korean Government decided to address the problem of “giant robot keeps attacking Korea and traditional military tactics and regular soldiers are useless against it” by recruiting pro gamers (with their fast reflexes and unconventional tactical know-how) to pilot mechs to keep the giant robot at bay. D.Va was the best Starcraft player in the world (except her dad, the one person in the world she still can’t beat), and amazingly, she was also the best at fighting this giant robot. Because her gaming ability is what makes her so good at fighting this particular giant robot, she approaches her job the same way she approaches video games: by perpetually chasing the horizon of perfection and trying to improve her skills.

In-universe, she streams her missions worldwide on Twitch, and her fan following as a Superhero is as big as her following as a Pro Gamer or a Movie Star. Because she streams her missions, she’s often heard using gamer-speak in-combat because she’s addressing her audience directly. Outside of combat, many other heroes (like Lucio and Reinhardt) are huge fans of hers and look up to her, she’s a fan of reading scientific journals and is a bit starstruck to meet her favorite scientist (Mei) and she’s deeply hurt by the destruction she saw in her home country. She’s also sensitive about being called a child, because she’s now 19 (an adult) and a decorated soldier and deserves a certain level of respect.

This is Gremlin D.Va:

Gremlin D.Va is a fandom-created meme based on approximately nothing from the actual game or lore except the word “gamer” in her description. Gremlin D.Va is a caricature of western white male gamers (interesting given that D.Va is a Korean woman who acts approximately nothing like western white male gamers).

Gremlin D.Va is approximately four years old (or less!! A lot of the fanart includes her wearing diapers, sitting in strollers, sucking on a pacifier, the line is between “gremlin D.Va” and “baby D.Va” is blurry enough to be practically nonexistent). Gremlin D.Va is obsessed with doritos and mountain dew (she has her own brand of chips and sponsors a cola brand in-game, but we’ve established that the people making this meme don’t really care about what is or isn’t part of the game). She is supposed to be dirty and disgusting, she speaks in broken english even though Canon D.Va is fluent (they chalk this up to be “she’s like a baby!” but infantilization isn’t much better), she is mischievous and sneaky, she is presented as a childlike, and, well, pretty much aligns with every harmful stereotype of East Asians except the hypersexualization (which they claim makes it progressive). Also, as noted in the above picture, part of the meme is that she’s been adopted by two of the white characters, Soldier: 76 and Mercy, neither of whom she’s confirmed to have ever even met. She’s usually presented in the comics as a burden to that white man, which, yikes.

Essentially, Gremlin D.Va is a list of harmful and baseless stereotypes and tropes about Asians and Asian-Americans like “sneaky” and “childlike” and “perverse,” and defenders of the meme like to pretend it’s okay to project lots of anti-Asian racist stereotypes onto an Asian character as long as they’re not doing so because she’s Asian, but, the fact is, it honestly doesn’t matter whether or not they mean to be racist, but it’s somewhat hard to believe it has nothing to do with the character being East Asian: It would be very different if she were a white character being treated the same way, since there’s really no cultural baggage that presents white people as subhuman (you’re literally calling her a “gremlin”) and childlike (don’t try to dispute this, half those comics put her in a drat diaper), but for SOME REASON the white characters in the game are never presented that way!

The one exception to that is in the Halloween sprays where D.Va is very much presented as a child, and defenders like to claim this makes Gremlin D.Va “canon,” although this doesn’t really hold any water, since the sprays seem to show children dressed as the heroes trick-or-treating, and almost all the heroes are given a trick-or-treater spray. Here’s just a handful, for instance:

Now, I’ve gotten yelled at a lot for calling the meme racist, and 99 times out of 100 it is, but the fact remains, even if it was totally not racist: it’s just plain not funny! It’s boring and unimaginative and doesn’t make sense! People always try to act like “it’s just a video game, it’s fictional, let us have our jokes,” and I wholeheartedly agree, except that I expect jokes to be even mildly funny.

People also come back with “but it’s Chibi! Haven’t you ever heard of Chibi!” which, of course I have!! In fact, like all the Overwatch heroes, there’s a Chibi version of her available in the game! It doesn’t look like a screaming dorito-encrusted toddler in the care of a cheap knockoff Clint Eastwood, though, it looks like a chibi version of the character:

There she is standing next to her mech! She’s got a look and pose indicative of her trademark cocksure attitude, she’s clearly an adult and not a child, she’s not sexualized in this image without being desexualized through infantilization, and it looks like her, but in that style!!

Now, the thing is, I know it’s futile to ask racists to stop being racist, especially when they don’t agree they are being racist. They think they’re being funny, and they try to dismiss any criticisms with “it’s not that serious,” but the thing is, if it wasn’t that serious to them, why do they throw a little tantrum whenever anyone voices discomfort with it? And I mean every single time, they whine and complain and act smugly superior because they haven’t been “offended,” but the fact is that most normal fans of the game are content to roll their eyes and scroll past their unfunny meme, and they’re the ones who get all worked up whenever they find out people don’t think it’s funny.

Which is the most important facet of Gremlin D.Va: it’s not funny! It’s boring! It feels like the kind of thing Seth Green would write in a mediocre Robot Chicken sketch that he didn’t put all that much effort into. Even if it wasn’t racist, it just doesn’t make sense that people keep pushing this unfunny joke despite the fact that the response is more groans than laughs! In fact, most people I know mock and ridicule the people who are boring enough to find it funny!

So, that’s basically it in a nutshell.

sourcing my quotes

Pomp has a new favorite as of 16:34 on Jan 19, 2017

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Wow, that's an amazing amount of butthurt because someone made fun of Blizzards horrible character backgrounds.

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

Gremlin D.Va is extremely hilarious 90% of the time. It's unfortunate that tumblr person is no fun.
It's also odd they have serious issues with the gremlin but not the humorous parodies of other characters.

bookkeeper has a new favorite as of 17:09 on Jan 19, 2017

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Keru posted:

Wow, that's an amazing amount of butthurt because someone made fun of Blizzards horrible character backgrounds.

It reads more like a manifesto the police find buried next to the D.Va suit made out of flesh and thousands of rounds of unspent ammunition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

bookkeeper posted:

Gremlin D.Va is extremely hilarious 90% of the time. It's unfortunate that tumblr person is no fun.
It's also odd they have serious issues with the gremlin but not the humorous parodies of other characters.

People have serious attachment issues to fictional characters. You should have seen the butt hurt when they introduced tracers girlfriend.

• Locked thread