Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

Durability as a mechanic was pulled out entirely, because all it did was make your weapons wear down into smoking stumps in no time at all, which led to you either keeping a billion repair items always or you just ran on a permanent treadmill of get weapon, use weapon to death, get weapon, use weapon to death and so on.

Nice! Always found durability to be an annoying mechanic in most games anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cainer posted:

Nice! Always found durability to be an annoying mechanic in most games anyway.

just when you thought it was dead, zelda gonna bring it back

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Yardbomb posted:

They greatly improved it by taking that out wholesale instead of trying to just change it when it'd still be an annoying and lame addition regardless, then just lowered the total weapon drops to compensate.

I haven't watched trailers or dev interviews since the last test, but Durability got replaced by Familiarity where weapons don't break AND they get stronger the more you use them with their own individual levels. Familiarity maxes out though so you'll have to switch weapons eventually

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Here's a video, I don't know what it's from, looks like parts from a bunch of cutscenes stitched together so maybe there's spoilers, anyway check out that guy at the end :hai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR_nDRIQOJY

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Yeah, it sucks that a company is confident enough in its product to unveil it to the public for a good length of time multiple times. They should be more like Bethesda and not let you see anything but trailers until the release.

Okay tryhard troll.
I actually haven't played either beta or alpha and I'm out of town on the "last chance" poo poo. Why isn't this a vertical slice demo without the stupid mmo time limit?

Edit:

Hell, I'd preorder this blind if I had a chance to actually play the demo.

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jan 19, 2017

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

lets hang out posted:

Here's a video, I don't know what it's from, looks like parts from a bunch of cutscenes stitched together so maybe there's spoilers, anyway check out that guy at the end :hai:

Is... is that Oda Nobunaga?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

lets hang out posted:

Some real Dynasty Warriors stuff going on in this trailer.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Tarezax posted:

Is... is that Oda Nobunaga?

Yup

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The Last Chance demo is available to download now by the way. You still can't play it until the 21st but it's like a 8 GB download so best to get that done in advance.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

RatHat posted:

If they didn't change the movesets then Spears will still be an extremely safe option, while Dual-swords will be the highest DPS, Axes will be high burst damage, and I don't know what Swords excel at, if anything.

They're probably going to be the most well rounded of the bunch. It has the really good parries and that guard crush that I never got to pull off in the demos.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
And Quickdraw. Quickdraw had insane damage.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

any new content?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

Durability as a mechanic was pulled out entirely, because all it did was make your weapons wear down into smoking stumps in no time at all, which led to you either keeping a billion repair items always or you just ran on a permanent treadmill of get weapon, use weapon to death, get weapon, use weapon to death and so on. They greatly improved it by taking that out wholesale instead of trying to just change it when it'd still be an annoying and lame addition regardless, then just lowered the total weapon drops to compensate.

Fromsoft please take notice, jesus christ

RatHat posted:

Some real Dynasty Warriors stuff going on in this trailer.

The Sengoku Souls we deserve.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 19, 2017

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Obviously, you're not a golfer.
and you can do the awesome sheathe your sword animation after every combat encounter.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Deified Data posted:

Fromsoft please take notice, jesus christ

Durability might as well not be there in DS3, it's never an issue at any point in the game, and I finished with hundreds of deaths having never had to repair an item

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Okay tryhard troll.
I actually haven't played either beta or alpha and I'm out of town on the "last chance" poo poo. Why isn't this a vertical slice demo without the stupid mmo time limit?

Edit:

Hell, I'd preorder this blind if I had a chance to actually play the demo.

He does have a point. Should have paid attention when the alpha and beta were released.

I liked having durability but I see why they took it out of the game. Nioh is going to be amazing.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Spuckuk posted:

Durability might as well not be there in DS3, it's never an issue at any point in the game, and I finished with hundreds of deaths having never had to repair an item

Right, it's a mechanic that always changes the game for the better when it's removed entirely instead of altered to the point of being a non-issue. It had a token inclusion in BB and DS3 at best.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
There's nothing quite as satisfying as guard crushing someone in this game.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=czFMfcf4z2E

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So, assuming things didn't change a ton from the last demo: are the Magic and Spirit stats worth investing in? The only onmyou magic I really played with was weapon buffs, which were nice but didn't seem to make too huge of a difference. And while I really enjoy playing around with the different guardian spirit things, I didn't invest enough in Spirit to find out if the rewards you get for that are worth it. Did anyone else dig further into that? I'm tempted to go spears/spirit for my first build, assuming there aren't enough levels/points to spread around to multiple weapon stats.

Real hurthling! posted:

just when you thought it was dead, zelda gonna bring it back

Somehow I suspect it'll be fine in Zelda, if only because you don't really have a build in Zelda like you do in Nioh or Souls. If your sword breaks in Zelda, you don't need to hope you have another sword because all your stats and skills are geared towards swords--instead, you just use whatever the latest enemy dropped. That's sort of what I've always wanted from a durability system in an action RPG anyway: either go full scavenger or don't have durability at all.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Davincie posted:

any new content?

Sounds like a new stage and boss, with twilight version. Finishing the normal stage will get you the new reward and finishing the twilight stage will give you the rewards from the alpha and beta.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Are the chain sickles going to be in this weekend?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Lakbay posted:

Are the chain sickles going to be in this weekend?

It's in the trailer for this demo so probably

https://youtu.be/FxngrMS7HG0

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Monolith. posted:

He does have a point. Should have paid attention when the alpha and beta were released.

I liked having durability but I see why they took it out of the game. Nioh is going to be amazing.

I've bought the loving thing now, whatever. Timed Demos outside of Network Stress Test Purposes are still stupid.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I've bought the loving thing now, whatever. Timed Demos outside of Network Stress Test Purposes are still stupid.

The demos are timed because they also have network features--both of the previous ones did, anyway. I suppose they could've stuck around and just turned off the network features, but I think a large part of it was to test how well those worked, too.

The previous two demos were also pretty long, like two weeks each if I remember correctly. This one's brevity is a big change and it's probably only so short because the game's coming out really soon.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I barely got a chance to try the previous demos, how does the difficulty stack up compared to DS3 or Bloodborne?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Spuckuk posted:

I barely got a chance to try the previous demos, how does the difficulty stack up compared to DS3 or Bloodborne?

Harder than DS3 IMO, but a big part of that is clashing control schemes within similar gameplay styles. Playing Souls made me horrible at Nioh and vice versa.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

You get punished a lot harder for your mistakes. And fights against groups are always cagey, because enemies don't gently caress around.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

I found it notably harder than DS3 and Bloodborne, but I agree with Deified Data that I think it was more that it took me some time to adjust to the control scheme and the different gameplay style. It looks like a Souls clone and definitely has some very Souls elements (leveling up stats directly, dropping your souls/amrita when you die and having to go reclaim it, checkpoints that respawn enemies when you use them), but its actual combat is very different, which is why I'm really excited for this.
It's more Souls-inspired than Souls clone, unlike Lords of the Fallen.

One thing is that I had to get into a Witcher 2/3 mindset more than a Bloodborne mindset with it, because you take crazy damage if you get hit in the back (and so do enemies), even though it's not a Souls-style backstab mechanic. An enemy that can knock off 10% of your life in one hit from the front can take off like 40% from the back, so you really need to make sure you don't get flanked or you will die very, very quickly. That got me owned over and over again in the first demo until I realized what I needed to do, and then I started having a grand old time. Bows are also significantly more powerful than they are in the Souls games--lots of human enemies can be one-shot with a headshot and it's definitely a good idea to do that if you can to thin out some groups.

It definitely punishes mistakes much more immediately than Souls/Bloodborne do, I think.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 19, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Also you need to master Ki-Pulsing on top of ki management whereas in Souls/Bloodborne you just have to watch your stamina

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Spuckuk posted:

Enemies dont track or pivot like they do in DS3.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Spuckuk posted:

Harder but fairer. Enemies don't cheat by having infinite stamina and you can see their stamina bar. You're about as tough as they are but you get a stamina refill mechanic enemies don't have access to. You've also got a Devil Trigger mechanic most enemies don't get.

Harrow posted:

So, assuming things didn't change a ton from the last demo: are the Magic and Spirit stats worth investing in? The only onmyou magic I really played with was weapon buffs, which were nice but didn't seem to make too huge of a difference. And while I really enjoy playing around with the different guardian spirit things, I didn't invest enough in Spirit to find out if the rewards you get for that are worth it. Did anyone else dig further into that? I'm tempted to go spears/spirit for my first build, assuming there aren't enough levels/points to spread around to multiple weapon stats.

I'm not sure if we know if the guardian spirit level up mechanic is going to be in the new demo, because that is probably going to be a huge buff to guardian spirit (and probably also magic?) builds. The post-caves spirit was also pretty amazing even at level 1 in the previous build (you could do a really absurd health-recovery build with it), so there is hope for magic and ninja not being bad.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 19, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
One of the unique katanas last test scaled off of magic and there were some videos of people beating Tachibana with just ninja traps and another video of beating the vampire lady with just kunai (ninja build)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

I'm not sure if we know if the guardian spirit level up mechanic is going to be in the new demo, because that is probably going to be a huge buff to guardian spirit (and probably also magic?) builds. The post-caves spirit was also pretty amazing even at level 1 in the previous build (you could do a really absurd health-recovery build with it), so there is hope for magic and ninja not being bad.

I think the guardian spirit system interests me more than magic and ninjutsu, so I hope there's a lot of fun things to do with it that makes leveling Spirit worth it.

DatonKallandor posted:

Harder but fairer. Enemies don't cheat by having infinite stamina and you can see their stamina bar. You're about as tough as they are but you get a stamina refill mechanic enemies don't have access to. You've also got a Devil Trigger mechanic most enemies don't get.

A note on "fairer"--it's not so much that the Souls games cheat or something, just that enemies play by a different set of rules than you do. Those rules are understandable and predictable, though, and are designed to present a fair challenge to the player, even if the player is technically playing by a different set of rules. Nioh, on the other hand, is more transparently fair, specifically because enemies always have a visible stamina bar and are punished just as severely as the player is for running out. I'd argue it's not necessarily more fair than the Souls games, but it's definitely more about putting you against enemies on even footing (except when yokai are involved, of course).

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Guardian Spirits are cool and I'm more inclined to invest in things that set Nioh apart from its influences instead of being the same old sword man I am in every other Souls game. Being able to select from several sets of buffs to match whatever encounter you're running into with relative ease sounds like a powerful advantage.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Its not a loving demo, its a beta. When the game is finally released they very well may put out a demo that has no time limit, and until that time stop bitching.

Harrow posted:

The demos are timed because they also have network features

Exactly, its primary purpose is not a demo. Its a beta to test the game, test the network, and get feedback. It doubles as a demo but its plain ridiculous to throw a hissyfit because the game that isn't out yet doesn't let you play indefinitely for free.

Games good, just hold your horses and wait for release if you can't get in the beta during the window.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Anybody who is annoyed at how limited the beta tests were must have never attempted to participate in any of fromsoft's network tests

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
The changed a lot more between Alpha -> Beta - > now than just durability but it seems like most people didn't explore the first alpha enough to notice the changes. When you were locked on to an enemy and hit back on the control stick you used to turn around.

Also a reminder to toot your horns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmeWVSa2D80

Belzac fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 19, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

tap my mountain posted:

Anybody who is annoyed at how limited the beta tests were must have never attempted to participate in any of fromsoft's network tests

Haha I was in Japan during the one week of the Dark Souls 3 stress test. I was bummed. I don't travel super often or anything! But no biggie, not something to get mad at fromsoft about really, its a stress test.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Its not a loving demo, its a beta. When the game is finally released they very well may put out a demo that has no time limit, and until that time stop bitching.

Exactly, its primary purpose is not a demo. Its a beta to test the game, test the network, and get feedback. It doubles as a demo but its plain ridiculous to throw a hissyfit because the game that isn't out yet doesn't let you play indefinitely for free.

Games good, just hold your horses and wait for release if you can't get in the beta during the window.

In the official press they refer to it as the Last Chance "Trial," but everyone else is calling it a demo because that's what it is. It's a time-limited demo meant to hype up the game and encourage more pre-orders. While it's not impossible that it may be used for feedback purposes, it's pretty clearly not the primary purpose since the game has already gone gold and is set to release regardless. It's fine since it followed an excellent use of public alpha/beta builds which you rarely see, but don't act like it's not a demo designed to advertise the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So the demo will be playable at Midnight Eastern Time right?

EDIT: On Friday I mean.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 19, 2017