Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

mabels big day posted:

Come on now Bef. I like holding up old games on a pedestal over newer ones as much as the next guy, but Breath of the Wild is literally going to be the best game ever made.

Thats like saying Trump is going to Make America Great Again :rolleyes: You play your open empty world collectathon, i'll be surfing with the Whales :coolfish:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just started playing Twilight Princess HD hero mode and being a wolf with no healing items and one or two hits to die is fairly stressful.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

FooF posted:

Speaking of 100%

How many endings do you think BotW will have? Something like Bad, Good, Better, and "100%."? Of course, I sincerely hope they go the Chrono Trigger route and have like 30 of them depending on defeating Ganon at various points throughout the story.

It'll have one ending, because it's not some dumbshit game with multiple endings.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You can skip fishing entirely since there is no reward and it didn't exist in the original version either.

If I recall correctly Evil Eagle has gotten every fish at every fishing spot in MM

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Shout outs to Evil Eagle

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

codenameFANGIO posted:

If I recall correctly Evil Eagle has gotten every fish at every fishing spot in MM

Props. Fishing counts for 100%. If nothing else it's one of the most challenging things in the game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Some hacker found evidence that they were originally planning to let you fish as Sheik, Ganondorf and Impa and I'm so sad they didn't include that feature in the final release.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Some hacker found evidence that they were originally planning to let you fish as Sheik, Ganondorf and Impa and I'm so sad they didn't include that feature in the final release.

In OoT or MM?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's fishing in MM?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

There's fishing in MM?

In the 3DS version, yes. There are 2 fishing holes and 25 total fish types to catch.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It probably would have been an amiibo feature giving how that roster lines up with the available Zelda amiibo at the time. I think the 3DS had barely been updated to be amiibo compatible at the time of the game's release though and the reader for the old style models wasn't even out yet so maybe I'm off here.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Evil Eagle posted:

In OoT or MM?

MM.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

That's really weird but I'd love to fish as Ganon.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Evil Eagle posted:

Props. Fishing counts for 100%. If nothing else it's one of the most challenging things in the game.

:worship:

It's impressive to me that they worked this hard on it and it serves literally zero purpose in the game lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Evil Eagle posted:

Is there a fishing log in MM? I don't think it's considered part of 100%. I never did it because I didn't care about the fishing much after doing it so much on OoT back in the day.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Eurogamer sat down and talked a bit about the new Zelda with Aonuma. Amongst the development talk is a comment that a playable Linkle might be a possibility in the future.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

That MM fishing just blew my loving mind until I realized that it was only on the 3DS version. I was wondering how I could have no idea that existed even though I beat the game countless times on N64.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Rexroom posted:

Eurogamer sat down and talked a bit about the new Zelda with Aonuma. Amongst the development talk is a comment that a playable Linkle might be a possibility in the future.

Hope we get a playable Sam in the next Metroid to keep things even

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rexroom posted:

Just let us play as Zelda already. Why do you have to invent a whole new character in Linkle when you have Zelda, who has been able to do cool action things in multiple games by now? (Of course, rarely while actually going by the name Zelda, which is odd.)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Would be cool if there was a hard mode that included a hunger meter, not in a green ranger need food badly survival game way, but in a you can't eat anymore to heal because Link's hunger meter is full, and he recovers his hearts slowly while the hunger meter is full

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Infinitum posted:

Hope we get a playable Sam in the next Metroid to keep things even

gently caress that make anthony canon

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Would be cool if there was a hard mode that included a hunger meter, not in a green ranger need food badly survival game way, but in a you can't eat anymore to heal because Link's hunger meter is full, and he recovers his hearts slowly while the hunger meter is full

Metal Gear Hyrule: Snake Eater. I'm in.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

spit on my clit posted:

gently caress that make anthony canon

... is he not already?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TFRazorsaw posted:

... is he not already?

Hell if I know

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

RCarr posted:

That MM fishing just blew my loving mind until I realized that it was only on the 3DS version. I was wondering how I could have no idea that existed even though I beat the game countless times on N64.

Fishing was actually supposed to be in Majora's Mask, at least early on in development. Specifically they said you could catch a fish as big as Lord Jabu-Jabu if not the big guy himself. It makes sense this would be something they'd play around with since MM was all about using a bunch of assets already made and creating a new environment to play around with them in. Using the already existing fishing engine and trying to catch the gigantic fish they already made seems to gel well with that idea.

Of course even in MM3D Chapu-Chapu isn't as big as his Hyrulean counterpart, but it's something at least.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Harrow posted:

Just let us play as Zelda already. Why do you have to invent a whole new character in Linkle when you have Zelda, who has been able to do cool action things in multiple games by now? (Of course, rarely while actually going by the name Zelda, which is odd.)

Yeah, I'd rather play as Zelda than the cliche, brain-dead anime girl that reeks of fanfiction.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Cause Zelda is tied to royalty. (Not Terta #bestzelda) and the Zelda formula calls for a orphan/humble beginning building to great things.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTsgWepH3GY

Grumpy British gamer declares Twilight Princess "not so bad" but still "misses the old Zeldas"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Cause Zelda is tied to royalty. (Not Terta #bestzelda) and the Zelda formula calls for a orphan/humble beginning building to great things.

How about this for a play-as-Zelda plot:

We've got a world where the Hyrulean royal family is defunct in one way or another, maybe Hyrule fell long ago and nobody can trace the royal bloodline anymore. Link is the prophesied hero and Ganon actually plays it smart this time, so he captures Link just before Link could get his sword and start on his hero's journey. Meanwhile, a young girl named Zelda--named for a legendary princess of Hyrule from long ago--picks up the sword her childhood friend Link didn't reach in time and sets out to rescue her pal. She discovers that she actually is Princess Zelda in the course of her quest, so we get the humble beginning to great things transition Tetra-style, only now she still has to be the adventurer because like Ganon absorbed Link's Triforce of Courage or something.

Since it's going to be a long, long time before we have another 3D Zelda after Breath of the Wild--it's always a long time between them--this could be a 2D Zelda on the Switch or something, follow up on how rad Link Between Worlds was.

mabels big day posted:

Grumpy British gamer declares Twilight Princess "not so bad" but still "misses the old Zeldas"

I've been enjoying the Boss Keys series so I'm looking forward to watching this later. (It helps that I generally agree that the more nonlinear, branching dungeons are more satisfying than the Wind Waker-style, room-to-room dungeons, so I don't end up annoyed by his reasoning or conclusions.) I really can't wait for him to get to Link Between Worlds because I think he's going to love it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I played the WiiU remaster of Twilight Princess and I thought it was very bad. Besides the Ice Cabin, which is the best thing of all time, the rest of the game was boring and linear. I just slogged through it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

I played the WiiU remaster of Twilight Princess and I thought it was very bad. Besides the Ice Cabin, which is the best thing of all time, the rest of the game was boring and linear. I just slogged through it.

The guy says the opposite and thinks the ice mansion is the worst. the dungeons are linear but they do a good job hiding it I guess, and Temple of Time wears its linearity on its sleeve and does something interesting with it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Harrow posted:

How about this for a play-as-Zelda plot:

We've got a world where the Hyrulean royal family is defunct in one way or another, maybe Hyrule fell long ago and nobody can trace the royal bloodline anymore. Link is the prophesied hero and Ganon actually plays it smart this time, so he captures Link just before Link could get his sword and start on his hero's journey. Meanwhile, a young girl named Zelda--named for a legendary princess of Hyrule from long ago--picks up the sword her childhood friend Link didn't reach in time and sets out to rescue her pal. She discovers that she actually is Princess Zelda in the course of her quest, so we get the humble beginning to great things transition Tetra-style, only now she still has to be the adventurer because like Ganon absorbed Link's Triforce of Courage or something.

Since it's going to be a long, long time before we have another 3D Zelda after Breath of the Wild--it's always a long time between them--this could be a 2D Zelda on the Switch or something, follow up on how rad Link Between Worlds was.

I'm down for a Zelda led game and that sounds sweet. I don't know why that precludes Linkle of the Linkle option from existing. There seem to be the cool spinoff Zelda's and then the OoT TP back to basic Zelda's and I wish you could play the back to basic Zelda as Linkle. Remember that this is the players 'link' to the character, the original silent protagonist.

What I would be especially down for, is the next OoT Twilight Princess, back to basics Zelda to have Link as swordman, Linkle as crossbowman, alternate play styles with boss's that have to be apporoached differently based on your core weapon. Items you get become more important, The bow is huge for Link and the Megaton Hammer huge for Linkle in rounding out their skillsets.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Twilight Princess is kinda a bad game

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Augus posted:

Only Zelda game I have ever owned and only played through once. :smith:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I remember liking it on Wii, but the novelty of the wiimote bombarrow aiming may have clouded my judgment, playing on the gamepad which still had great gyro aiming was not the same. Its down towards my least favorite Zeldas.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

I'm down for a Zelda led game and that sounds sweet. I don't know why that precludes Linkle of the Linkle option from existing. There seem to be the cool spinoff Zelda's and then the OoT TP back to basic Zelda's and I wish you could play the back to basic Zelda as Linkle. Remember that this is the players 'link' to the character, the original silent protagonist.

What I would be especially down for, is the next OoT Twilight Princess, back to basics Zelda to have Link as swordman, Linkle as crossbowman, alternate play styles with boss's that have to be apporoached differently based on your core weapon. Items you get become more important, The bow is huge for Link and the Megaton Hammer huge for Linkle in rounding out their skillsets.

I guess I don't mean that Linkle shouldn't exist, I just don't really know why Nintendo seems much more interested in Linkle than in playable Zelda. I guess hypothetically to keep Zelda as always the princess, always the one who needs rescuing, regardless of whether her rescuer is male or female?

I dig the idea of a game with both Link and Linkle as characters. Maybe instead of just Link being born in this cycle, they're twins, a brother and sister. Hell, just go Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin on us and have a system where you play as both together and switch on the fly, that would be cool as hell. Or have them sent off on separate quests and you play both before coming together for the finale or something.

Augus posted:

I finished the first dungeon in Twilight Princess and then just never kept going because I didn't want to do another Wolf Link section. I really hated those. What else made it bad? It's the Zelda I've played the least of (well, except Spirit Tracks, I guess, I've played none of that).

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Well the wolf bits are frontloaded, Wolf link is to young link in OOT, you have to turn back into him some spots later but mostly you can adult link it later. Its just boring. Go to the Mountain, do the mountain, Go to thee water, do the water. I thought the boots were cool at the time, other games did them batter. Aiming was done batter.
The Wild West shootout town was fun, the Ice cabin was fun. Everything else was forgettable not challenging and boring.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bombadilillo posted:

Like Harrow said, you can get around this by introducing the character as someone else and then pull a Cinderella and have you find out that you are Zelda and you're royal. basically like a Tetra thing but you get to play as her. The twist would be seen from a mile away so they couldn't try and play it off as "Nope, you're definitely not Zelda!" but get us excited about learning her background and about her royal roots as you re-establish the royal family of Hyrule and earn your place on the throne.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

mabels big day posted:

Ive watched his whole series and what Ive learned, is that outside of like 2 dungeons, the mythical Zelda Dungeon he loves DOES NOT EXIST. He wants, non-linear multiple paths with solutions you can think out yourself that are not brute force, try every path. He talks about the intricate level design of classic Zelda but RIPS apart LTTP by pointing out they mostly give the illusion of multiple paths but you just bang around until you find the right one, linear with brute force padding. And he really loves backtracking Metroid style but got upset when Wind Waker gives you fun new paths to backtrack, for reasons?

And every single time they don't meet his expectations. It might be a case of looking too far behind the curtain seeing how the sausage is made.

So watching his series, I don't know what he actually wants out of a Zelda dungeon, but I do know it doesn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I love Twilight Princess.

And... I dunno. Personally, I think any gameplay concept that has Zelda basically subsuming and adopting Link's role diminishes her. Her getting the Master Sword instead, Link being the one kidnapped... that reduces her to Girl Link. Something focused on Zelda's unique abilities, like her magic and Sheikah training, would be far more appropriate.