Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dragonatrix posted:

This feature has been there since Digital Devil Saga. :v:

I think they mean pressing start for the super fast skip instead of just holding triangle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

NikkolasKing posted:

So I have been trying to up my Academics rank for Mitsuru because an NPC said she liked people who studied... I'm Rank 3 with Academics and Charm. Is that going to go anywhere? Also is there no more efficient way to gain Academic points than studying? I had to neglect Tartarus and my S Links for about two weeks straight to get it up one rank.

Mitsuru's social link doesn't become available until quite late in the game (specifically 11/21 I believe.) Talk to her after school anyway, she'll give you stuff if you do well on exams.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

The full Persona 5 soundtrack is out, btw. It's... good.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Doflamingo posted:

The full Persona 5 soundtrack is out, btw. It's... good.

ah crap i need to try and find a copy

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

Mitsuru's social link doesn't become available until quite late in the game (specifically 11/21 I believe.) Talk to her after school anyway, she'll give you stuff if you do well on exams.

Hm, thank you for the info. I loaded up a slightly earlier save and started following advice I got online about using the Arcade and the Shrine when in Great condition in hopes I can get to 6 Academics before October which is apparently the deadline. I got to Rank 4 right before the finals and summer break...I hope I can make it.

Speaking of good music though I was listening to the P3 Boss theme on YouTube and while I still love it, I can't help but contrast it with my other favorite boss themes in the last couple games I've played, especially Strange Journey's.

P3 is hardly the first game I've played with funky boss music (hello Chaotic Dance from Baten Kaitos), it's just peculiar to have these huge struggles and then in the background the soundtrack is setting this really light, dance-able mood. I mean, I don't think the world is in danger in P3 like it was in SJ but the Shadows are still supposed to be a grave threat. An inspiring and "heroic" theme like SJ's would certainly be in order.

I wouldn't change a thing mind you. I just wonder what the design philosophy was.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I've pretty much done nothing except play Persona 3 and breathe since my last post in here. I think it's safe to say I like it.

As such, a PSTV and Persona 4 Golden are in my future. It will be interesting to judge for myself whether this game or P4 is better. Seems to be a pretty big debate among the JRPG nerds I know.

Boss music is really loving catchy in this game. I could listen to it forever. Also Mitsuru is my fave.

So I have been trying to up my Academics rank for Mitsuru because an NPC said she liked people who studied... I'm Rank 3 with Academics and Charm. Is that going to go anywhere? Also is there no more efficient way to gain Academic points than studying? I had to neglect Tartarus and my S Links for about two weeks straight to get it up one rank.

Glad you're having fun :) Don't do it right away or you'll burn yourself out but don't forget to check out the female main character route in Persona 3 Portable sometime, since you're getting a PSTV. Well worth a playthrough.

Curious to find out which of P3 and P4 is your favourite. I feel like most folks around here prefer 4, but 3 for me has a slightly darker and more engrossing atmosphere, plus Mitsuru is cool.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

P3 is hardly the first game I've played with funky boss music (hello Chaotic Dance from Baten Kaitos), it's just peculiar to have these huge struggles and then in the background the soundtrack is setting this really light, dance-able mood. I mean, I don't think the world is in danger in P3 like it was in SJ but the Shadows are still supposed to be a grave threat. An inspiring and "heroic" theme like SJ's would certainly be in order.

P3's main story bosses are a bit of a weird tonal disconnect.
They are always extremely built up in the story for an in-game week or so and with a lot of long dramatic cutscenes beforehand. But the boss music, appearance and sounds that they make are often pretty goofy (I do also like the music mind you). And difficulty wise they are mostly complete pushovers, presumably to make up for the fact that there are very long cutscenes before them with no save points and you could get yourself stuck on them technically unlike the Tartarus bosses.
Arguably the goofiest boss in the game coincides with one of the most emotionally impacting moments of the story, though that's quite a bit later in the game.

Meanwhile, the real threatening bosses in the game are the ones in Tartarus which are just re-colored normal enemies that appear with no fanfare and pretty bland music.

In P4 (and presumably P5) the music is more appropriate and the difficulty is as well, presumably due to how the pacing of those games works differently compared to P3.

The bosses are still often pretty goofy looking and sounding though since that's just how Persona rolls...

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Reminder that the very first Persona game had this beauty as one of the boss themes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQJENBPfzLs

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

PeaceDiner posted:

Reminder that the very first Persona game had this beauty as one of the boss themes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQJENBPfzLs

Yeah, I had that in mind when saying Persona has always had pretty goofy bosses

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

thorsilver posted:

Glad you're having fun :) Don't do it right away or you'll burn yourself out but don't forget to check out the female main character route in Persona 3 Portable sometime, since you're getting a PSTV. Well worth a playthrough.

Curious to find out which of P3 and P4 is your favourite. I feel like most folks around here prefer 4, but 3 for me has a slightly darker and more engrossing atmosphere, pluAs Mitsuru is cool.

Yeah, no offense to anyone who prefers it since I can't vouch for its quality compared to FES but it is tiresome hearing constantly about how much better P3P is in every way. I mean, maybe it is, but like I said earlier, Persona 3 and 4 were popular before their remakes and the 30 hours I've put into FES attest to its quality IMO.

Anyway, apparently even music is better in P3P according to some. Like, this is the P3P boss music?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvZPadyp9aQ

It came up when I was talking about FES' boss music elsewhere. I think this is an okay song but I def prefer FES 'boss theme.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

StandardVC10 posted:

First time through the game, Sleeping Table kicked my rear end. All subsequent times, I was ready for that fucker, but a couple of the heavy-hitting physical Tartarus bosses caught me out when I got sloppy.
I managed to totally cheese the Sleeping Table haha. I fought him once to try to see what weak points (if any) he had. He basically just spammed Megidola twice and wiped me. i wasn't too bothered, but I immediately went back and refought him with the same party because I hadn't had a chance to hit him with any Agi spells. Yukari was a few levels away from having Mediarama, which I figured I'd need to keep everyone alive if it was just going to keep using Megidola every turn.

Anyway, this time, he started using Maragidyne, which hit hard but nobody in my party was weak to, and trying to land status effects on me. At that point, I'd noted that he seemed strong to everything but Zio, and blocked Strikes. I set my party to full control, and just decided to see how I'd get on. I had MC, Yukari, Akihiko and Shinjiro. I just used Yukari and Shinji for healing/support (via items mostly), and had MC and Akihiko hit him with Ziodyne. I had a couple of Almighty attack items, one Ziodyne stone, and a Magic Mirror. The Magic Mirror blocked one use of Maragidyne, which was useful. The couple of Almighty attacks did 150 damage each, which cut him down more, and the continuous Ziodyne barrages meant that he went down in a few turns. Strangely enough I don't think he used Megidola at all during this attempt (he maybe used it once, I used a Soma to heal everyone up).

I do love when the RNG is kind to you in that way. I had been planning on bringing back a stronger party, but I don't need to now. :v:

One thing I'm finding annoying sometimes is drops for Quests. I'm supposed to be returning Empress Mirrors, but I think I've only had 2 drop out of 10 or more of the enemy killed. Some, like that, are super rare (the enemy doesn't appear that often either). The other delivery quest for this section, against the "strong" enemy (which were the Samurai type dudes) was much easier to get the drops from.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well gently caress me. This is the second time it's happened so I'm saying it now as a potential warning for others. The game crashes if you try to Fuse weapons. Just going to Antiques and clicking Fuse Weapons will shut the whole thing down.

I have lost a lot of progress twice now. I figured it was a freak accident the first time but come the gently caress on.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

NikkolasKing posted:

Well gently caress me. This is the second time it's happened so I'm saying it now as a potential warning for others. The game crashes if you try to Fuse weapons. Just going to Antiques and clicking Fuse Weapons will shut the whole thing down.

I have lost a lot of progress twice now. I figured it was a freak accident the first time but come the gently caress on.

Huh, I don't remember that happening for me...

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah, no offense to anyone who prefers it since I can't vouch for its quality compared to FES but it is tiresome hearing constantly about how much better P3P is in every way. I mean, maybe it is, but like I said earlier, Persona 3 and 4 were popular before their remakes and the 30 hours I've put into FES attest to its quality IMO.

Anyway, apparently even music is better in P3P according to some. Like, this is the P3P boss music?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvZPadyp9aQ

It came up when I was talking about FES' boss music elsewhere. I think this is an okay song but I def prefer FES 'boss theme.

Everyone has their own preferences. There are some nice things about P3P like control of your party members (making it not annoying as all hell to use some party members. Stop casting Marin Karin Mitsuru!) But personally I liked FES more. I felt the game lost a lot when removing the random walking around and animated cut scenes.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i just realized that the p5 disc that comes in the 20th anniversary collection doesn't have Rivers in the Desert and thats a god drat shame

my contribution to the fes/p3p discussion is that i beat fes, including the answer, but put p3p down after two hours because it was boring, and then later replayed and 100% completed fes/answer

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe it's an emulation issue with PSN....?

I'll throw into this P3P versus original/FES thing and say even though I'd love to control party members in P3, I wouldn't touch P3P with a ten foot pole because I don't want to spend 80+ hours moving a cursor around a static picture of a town instead of walking around a 3D town with a player avatar. That sort of little thing is really important for identifying with the character and setting in a life sim / RPG type game like Persona 3 and 4.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I dunno, I think running around the same 3D environments just to get from point A to point B would get tiresome kind of quickly. I like just being able to hit a button, bring up a menu and instantly go to the map or another location in the current area.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That really ends up not mattering at all, and I'm going to say it for the billionth time, the male route of P3 is fundamentally worse than the female route. That game is terribly paced and the original version just makes it more obvious.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

I dunno, I think running around the same 3D environments just to get from point A to point B would get tiresome kind of quickly. I like just being able to hit a button, bring up a menu and instantly go to the map or another location in the current area.

yeah after like 5 hours in persona 4 i used the quick-move menu as much as possible so it might as well have just been moving a cursor around a picture of a town to save me a little more time

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Does it actually improve the pacing of the game or just make the main character more likable looking...?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Arist posted:

That really ends up not mattering at all, and I'm going to say it for the billionth time, the male route of P3 is fundamentally worse than the female route. That game is terribly paced and the original version just makes it more obvious.
I'm playing the male MC in P3P. Fight me.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Item Getter posted:

Does it actually improve the pacing of the game or just make the main character more likable looking...?

you get to actually s-link all your party members

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It doesn't improve the pacing of the game, but feeling more involved with the party members is kind of critical because the majority of that story is things just happening around you, where they're the focus instead of any choices being made by the main character. The thing that really bothers me about P3's story is that it feels very railroaded in the way that the characters never get to make any kind of real choices, because they're never in a position to be making choices that affect the ongoing narrative. And that's not automatically a bad idea, having the characters' wills be irrelevant in the face of something inevitable and much bigger than them, it's just that the story doesn't really do anything with that. The biggest example of this is that whenever you get more information it inevitably tells you to keep doing the thing you were already doing. I don't need to have agency as a player to appreciate a game's narrative, but it's good when my characters at least have agency to affect the story they're a part of.

The reason the female route is better isn't because the story changes with her, it's because having a character who even just feels more involved and active changes a lot of things about the overall tone of that game in a way that at the very least manages to distract from that game's shortcomings.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

you get to actually s-link all your party members

S-linking party member is actually terrible because it forces their characters to be static throughout the whole game instead of growing throughout cause atlus sure is hell wasn't gonna write special dialog for each character depending on where they are in their social link arcs.

Arist posted:

That really ends up not mattering at all, and I'm going to say it for the billionth time, the male route of P3 is fundamentally worse than the female route.

FeMC has worse music in most cases, especially the battle theme. And the difference in quality of SL is overblown in my opinion.

NikkolasKing posted:

Are you playing the Ps3 ports? those versions have a ton of issues for some reason if at all possible you should hunt down original PS2 copies.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gaius Marius posted:

S-linking party member is actually terrible because it forces their characters to be static throughout the whole game instead of growing throughout cause atlus sure is hell wasn't gonna write special dialog for each character depending on where they are in their social link arcs.

FeMC has worse music in most cases, especially the battle theme. And the difference in quality of SL is overblown in my opinion.

1. This is a laughable argument to make concerning P3, where if you're not Junpei or Yukari you get pretty much no development in the entire first half of the game, but also especially because the male S.Links in that game were retrofitted into the existing narrative.

Also, I too hate getting to better know my party members in a loving RPG.

2. What the gently caress

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

... Uh, what?

A) Atlus has already done things where they lock specific social link advancement behind story beats.
B) Even if they hadn't, the character arcs in P3 and P3P are exactly the same except P3P fleshes things out more and allows you to slightly alter some events. If you think the characters are static in P3 then that is because they were that way when they couldn't be S.Linked too.

Also S. Linking doesn't have to prevent responses. Beyond plot-locking it like Atlus already does you can also do something like Tales of Xillia 2 did and have characters have different responses to story beats depending on how far along they are in their links when the plot hits. It's not hard to do.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 19, 2017

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
hey yo im the most ardent defender of fes but p3p femc route had baller music, especially the battle theme

how can you hate wiping all out

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

FeMC has worse music in most cases, especially the battle theme.

:whitewater:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

... Uh, what?

A) Atlus has already done things where they lock specific social link advancement behind story beats.
B) Even if they hadn't, the character arcs in P3 and P3P are exactly the same except P3P fleshes things out more and allows you to slightly alter some events.

A) It should be the other way around instead of locking the social links behind the story they should change the characters perspective in the story depending on where they are on their link.
B) To be honest I'm more talking about P4 and it's complete inability to let it's characters change in their social link.

I just wish that we could have the fun of social linking with people but also have characters who actually develop and have arcs like in P1 and 2 instead of giving the one story scene or one level ten rank up scene and then have them act exactly the same for the rest of the game.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think the solution of "let's just not give your party members links then" is going way too far though and would piss a lot of people off.

And what you want from social links seems way too complicated.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Gaius Marius posted:

I just wish that we could have the fun of social linking with people but also have characters who actually develop and have arcs like in P1 and 2 instead of giving the one story scene or one level ten rank up scene and then have them act exactly the same for the rest of the game.

You wish...? But this already exists. It's called Devil Survivor 2 and I recommend you try it sometime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

A) It should be the other way around instead of locking the social links behind the story they should change the characters perspective in the story depending on where they are on their link.
B) To be honest I'm more talking about P4 and it's complete inability to let it's characters change in their social link.

None of that has anything to do with social links though. Characters do have arcs in P3/P4 and the ones who don't aren't changed by the addition or or lack of social links. (Which usually have something more to do with a character coming to terms with a part of their personality that is already there, not suddenly becoming a different person.) It's also a flaw in P1 and P2 where you absolutely have underdeveloped characters simply because the writers don't care as much or they're optional and the plot has a harder time writing around them or whatnot.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Arist posted:

I think the solution of "let's just not give your party members links then" is going way too far though and would piss a lot of people off.

And what you want from social links seems way too complicated.

I think there's probably a good middle ground somewhere. Something more a kin to the Desu2 system with some branching paths both in the story outside of it could work. I think them forcing themselves into the start social link > 9 Ranks > Date Y/N > Rank ten, new personas > and never hang out with them again is really working against them. I am glad that P4G has incentivized you to actually spend time with your girlfriends and best friends instead of forging unbreakable bonds and then ignoring them.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".
I just like the Female route cuz she actually seems to have a personality outside of options like:

a) meh.
b) eh?
c) ugh!

which is kinda cool for a silent protagonist, and something the original character lacked.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
She has a personality, her SLs are much better, her music is much better, and she owns.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

if only she was canon........ alas

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, but she's not a princess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

if only she was canon........ alas

Theo, who only appears in the FemMC route, is canon, ergo she is canon. :colbert:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

good day for a bris posted:

I just like the Female route cuz she actually seems to have a personality outside of options like:

a) meh.
b) eh?
c) ugh!

which is kinda cool for a silent protagonist, and something the original character lacked.

...I think the lack of a personality is the point. Demi-fiend, Tatsuya and the rest are just your avatar to move around a game world. They are you, not their own characters.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 19, 2017

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I understand the wariness of giving the teammates social links if you just come off from p4 where the characters never develop in the story but the social links in p3p are actually pretty good.

The worst parts are the fact that you can't date Junpei, Hidetoshi and whatever the hermit s link was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Male MC's Hermit link is way better than Female MC's. Not for the content itself, but for the ending scene if you max it. :allears: