Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Quick check on the Star Wars LCG decklist shows there are 230 unique, named characters as cards there, though a lot of those are EU.
I mean, 6 of them are Darth Vaders and 6 are Luke Skywalkers, so there are duplicates within that would be subtitled but you get the idea.

Look at Imperial Assault for more generic mooks too. Royal Guards, Imperial Officers, Bantha Riders, Rebel Commandos, etc.

They're going to have no problem filling out characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I was wondering the same thing, since they took kind of the opposite approach with X-Wing; Use OT and and a lot of EU stuff and avoid the prequels entirely, whereas they seem to be all in on prequel material for Destiny. EU stuff generally is pretty stupid, but if Kyle Katarn was available I know what would become my main deck.

There are some EU characters I like, but I don't want to see them in game. I might be okay with some Clone Wars/Rebels people, but even then I dunno. It's weird though, because I have no hangup whatsoever with X-wing using EU stuff.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I don't think they will have problems coming up with new characters. Marketing them is more what I'm thinking about. I'm thinking about it from the perspective of someone approaching the game later this year or next and being told that none of the available products contain the main characters from the films (other than the starters). Who knows, maybe that won't matter.

In imperial assault and the lcg, you can generally just walk up and buy your darth vader mans and be done with it.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I don't think they will have problems coming up with new characters. Marketing them is more what I'm thinking about. I'm thinking about it from the perspective of someone approaching the game later this year or next and being told that none of the available products contain the main characters from the films (other than the starters). Who knows, maybe that won't matter.

In imperial assault and the lcg, you can generally just walk up and buy your darth vader mans and be done with it.

Yeah, and I think Decipher introduced alternate title characters after like two sets. I think Hoth had the first ones (which was the 2nd expansion, 3rd set if you count the base set).

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Looking over Decipher card lists, wow did they do some wacky stuff. The Dagobah set had TWO light-side characters. Yoda and Son of Skywalker. Ballsy. I remember Jedi Training decks were pretty big in the meta, though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

fozzy fosbourne posted:

That normies care about? No?

Bunch of things because this is such a weird thing to be concerned about

1 - yes, there are a fuckload of characters that everyone knows without even dipping into the EU. More than any other large property probably, and Star Wars is the most popular IP on the planet. Just in the mainline, not books or EU material, we have 8 movies and two very successful animated series worth of material.

2 - the characters don't have to all be named. People will love getting different types of storm troopers and other non uniques to mix in with their favorite characters, which works great in FFG's other games too.

3 - if you're playing a loving CCG you're not a "normie"

4 - only a small portion of the card pool has to be characters in the first place, so they can spread them out for years before having to rely on alternate versions (which aren't bad anyways). They have vehicles, weapons, powers, support characters, etc.

5 - there are more movies coming out literally every year for the foreseeable future that will continue to introduce new characters

So yes, I think we'll see variations on some big characters soon, but not because they've exhausted all possible characters that people would care about as you said. They'll do it for the same reason they do it in AGoT, to give players different ways to use their favorite characters in different decks.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
HK-47 would sell like hotcakes even if the card just said 'took your money, meatbags' on it.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm imagining the hitler meme video, but with FFG people explaining to Disney executives that they have by design made a licensed game where you can't purchase Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker for a year.

Also, I'm not concerned, I don't see a problem with printing the alternate versions. It's cool. Darth Vader is cool.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I'd like to see a lot more support cards, vehicles and ships and whatnot, even if they are by-design sub optimal because they require extra actions to activate those dice.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If the next set or two don't let me make an R2-D2/C-3P0 deck I'm out.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Finster Dexter posted:

I'd like to see a lot more support cards, vehicles and ships and whatnot, even if they are by-design sub optimal because they require extra actions to activate those dice.

Yeah, and we could see something like Squad Tactics for supports/vehicles that let you activate a bunch at once, either as a character ability or an event.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet!! WHERE!?

Bottom Liner posted:

Bunch of things because this is such a weird thing to be concerned about

Yeah, I'm confused why people are freaking out about running out of characters. FFG already called out a different subtitle for Vader being a different card, but same character.

On top of that, there are so many other recognizable characters from the movies alone. When you add everything else in the current canon, I don't see them even coming close in the few years, and that doesn't even take into account different titles for existing characters.

Long story short, I think anyone who's complaining about not being able to get main characters later in the game's lifespan is just looking for things to complain about.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I want a Y-Wing bombing run card that spreads damage and takes control of the battlefield.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I still haven't been able to get more than my two booster packs locally and online stores sell out just as fast if not faster. If they don't keep the first set available then I have no interest in playing at all.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I still haven't been able to get more than my two booster packs locally and online stores sell out just as fast if not faster. If they don't keep the first set available then I have no interest in playing at all.

Yeah, it's pretty frustrating. Our area has been pretty lucky as far as availability, but I have friends that still haven't been able to find starters. And there is already a (very likely) street date for the second set. You'd think FFG would have learned from the past few years of x wing, imp rear end, armada, that they need a LOT of product at launch. Or at the very least, push the new set back a month or so until they can get enough starter sets out.

Though I guess they're not really getting punished for how janky the release has been, so why would they give a poo poo?

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

My understanding was that unlike WOTC, FFG doesn't own the factories they use. That means they don't set production schedules. Not making enough Awakenings in the first place was certainly a punt, but it's quite possible they were already on the print schedule for set 2 and they have to scramble to get an Awakenings reprint in. Still bad news of course but I'm not sure it's a decision exactly.

That said, set 2 coming out will help at least some. If they print enough (probably they are soliciting pseudo-preorders to try to determine how much that should be), it'll at least let people make decks with available product and might reduce costs on some of the singles.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet!! WHERE!?

Ultiville posted:

My understanding was that unlike WOTC, FFG doesn't own the factories they use. That means they don't set production schedules. Not making enough Awakenings in the first place was certainly a punt, but it's quite possible they were already on the print schedule for set 2 and they have to scramble to get an Awakenings reprint in. Still bad news of course but I'm not sure it's a decision exactly.

That said, set 2 coming out will help at least some. If they print enough (probably they are soliciting pseudo-preorders to try to determine how much that should be), it'll at least let people make decks with available product and might reduce costs on some of the singles.

This is correct. They cannot just call up their printers and say "hey we need more of that thing."

I'd be willing to bet they essentially did that already and that's where we're getting the 3rd and 4th waves of product from. Additionally, I bet it cost them a shitload of money to do it, and ultimately the better portion of consumers wouldn't really care if they were opening packs of Awakenings or SoR, as long as they have something to open.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

It's weird what's a starter and included as starter-only, and what shows up in a starter deck as a rare that can be pulled in a pack.

You want two copies of Force Throw? Want Elite Finn? Buy two Rey starters.
Now you've got two copies of BB8 and two copies of Rey's Staff, so you can just throw those duds away when you get those in a booster.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

canyoneer posted:

It's weird what's a starter and included as starter-only, and what shows up in a starter deck as a rare that can be pulled in a pack.

You want two copies of Force Throw? Want Elite Finn? Buy two Rey starters.
Now you've got two copies of BB8 and two copies of Rey's Staff, so you can just throw those duds away when you get those in a booster.

Yeah it's kind of strange. At least those two are neutral and better than Infantry Grenades so maybe if you have a bunch of decks you want more than two someday?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Swapped some stuff at the FLGS tonight. Some hard choices were made.

I got rid of Vader for a Luke Skywalker, a Survival Gear, a Comlink, an Electroshock, a DH-17 Pistol, and an On The Hunt. I guess I was probably on the losing end of the deal, but I had just traded Crime Lord and some other nonsense for the other Luke Skywalker I needed, so I made the deal. It's whatever. gently caress Vader anyway, heroes rule.

Shell
Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight (20)
Admiral Ackbar, Perceptive Tactician (10)
Echo Base, Hoth

Upgrades (13)
Comlink x2
Data Pad x2
Force Throw x2
Force Training x2
Jedi Robes x2
Lightsaber x2
Luke Skywalker's Lightsaber x1

Supports (0)

Events (17)
All In x2
Defensive Stance x2
Deflect x2
Field Medic x2
Force Misdirection x2
Leadership x2
Riposte x1
Use The Force x2
Willpower x2

Obviously there's some stuff I could see being changed around, but a lot of decisions were made based on probably-flawed thinking anyway, so I'll just have to playtest the gently caress out of this. Dug In and Defensive Position are omitted because the matchups where they'd matter the most, to me, are the matchups in which I can't logically contest the battlefield most of the time; I went with Defensive Stance instead. One With The Force is too expensive and I don't own any. I would like to include a second Luke's lightsaber just so it doesn't get disarmed, and possibly find room for Return of the Jedi, as well, but I'm not sure what I'd cut. Even stuff I originally considered middling is maybe not bad here, like Survival Gear or, hell, Rey's Staff. I've played this deck basically twice. It is far from good, I'd bet. But it does feel more or less feature-complete, plus or minus some meta calls and tuning. (Reeeeeally don't like not being able to fit Dodge in there, anywhere.) Also it's fun as gently caress to pilot.

gently caress villainy.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Nah those trades are about equal. Vaders stock has dropped quite a bit while Lukes has dropped considerably less. Those other rares bridge the gap. Plus, it's all about if you are happy with what you have now. As long as you get within a few dollars and are fine with it, it's a good trade.

If there is no more Awakening planned for awhile, which I can't believe could be true, i'll probably sideline this game for a bit until it is reprinted and prices stabilize. I just can't imagine what the next 3 months would be like without more. The markets would be crazy and people would be so pissed off, which would be really bad for the game.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

ShowTime posted:

Nah those trades are about equal. Vaders stock has dropped quite a bit while Lukes has dropped considerably less. Those other rares bridge the gap. Plus, it's all about if you are happy with what you have now. As long as you get within a few dollars and are fine with it, it's a good trade.

This is generally how I feel about stuff - my friends, particularly my siblings, tend to crow about how I made out like a bandit/got ripped off, and it's all based on estimated values per, like, MM or eBay. I can't be hosed to ship some dude a Vader for dosh - I'd rather just turn him into more drugs cards. As long as everybody is happy, the trade is a win. I'm kinda put off by people who are super specific about dollar values for trades. "Yeah, but I'm giving you $5 more in value" / "Haha, you know the cards you gave me were like $15 more than what I gave you, right?"

Like who gives a gently caress. Honestly, I'm currently trying to put together a second and third deck to give away just so people can play the game.

Crime Lord + jank for the first Luke was a steal, in my book - I don't doubt Crime Lord's efficacy but it wouldn't have been a deal I would have suggested. It was CL and commons for Luke; I would have felt bad, but he was pretty insistent, and literally the only thing he had that I wanted was Luke. (One of the lovely things about product being so condensed? Nobody has gently caress-all to trade. So even if you find the two other people who bought in to SWD, all you can do is play lovely games against each other. It's pain.)

Vader for Luke was a dicier proposition, but it was a trade I suggested; I'd rather have Luke than Vader, and if MM says Vader is worth $25 more, welp, have at it. This time the other guy felt bad for me, and helped me finish out the rest of the Luke deck I was building in the first place. It was nice of him, and I already like the eight-ish people that the FLGS drew in for Destiny night. Good times.

I have another trade lined up soon for a second Luke's lightsaber, and then after that I think it's just straight playtesting until I've got a handle on it.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Another place with boxes: http://www.boardgameshelf.com/star-wars-destiny-booster-box/

I think it works out to $93 including shipping to US, so a little more expensive than boardgamebliss was.

The only place I've seen that has starters without jacked up prices right now is the U.K., here is one: http://www.firestormgames.co.uk

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Thanks for posting that. I went ahead and bought 2 because they are much cheaper than even my local store. Came out to like $86 a box with shipping.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Think you got the last two haha

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Sith Holocron is ridiculously overpowered to the point of being game breaking, and either needs to be banned or at least the stupid ruling allowing blue-only upgrades on non-blue characters needs to be revised.

At the end of round one in my first game tonight, my opponent had a Force Throw on Jango and a Mind Probe on Kylo, both dice rolled into the pool.

Sneaky Homunculus
May 19, 2008

guts and bolts posted:

Echo Base, Hoth

Upgrades (13)
Comlink x2
Data Pad x2

I would drop the Comlinks and Datapads for 2 It Binds All Things and 2 of something else. Perhaps, 1 Dodge and the 2nd Riposte. It Binds All Things is great for getting gear on Luke. Also, it helps with Jango a bit since it gives you another non-character action to durdle them into Passing or activating Jango the fair way. Datapads are great for fishing for specials and Ackbar's Focus side, but it slows down the deck considerably. I would at least, drop the Comlinks for It Binds All Things. If you want to keep the Datapads, switch your Battlefield to Mos Eisley Spaceport, so it give the opponent very little value. Every shield they get from Echo Base is another shield Luke has to chew through.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Sneaky Homunculus posted:

I would drop the Comlinks and Datapads for 2 It Binds All Things and 2 of something else. Perhaps, 1 Dodge and the 2nd Riposte. It Binds All Things is great for getting gear on Luke. Also, it helps with Jango a bit since it gives you another non-character action to durdle them into Passing or activating Jango the fair way. Datapads are great for fishing for specials and Ackbar's Focus side, but it slows down the deck considerably. I would at least, drop the Comlinks for It Binds All Things. If you want to keep the Datapads, switch your Battlefield to Mos Eisley Spaceport, so it give the opponent very little value. Every shield they get from Echo Base is another shield Luke has to chew through.

I'll give that configuration a run, though I only have 1x of IBAT and it was kinda killing me in my eKylo/Vader shell. That's a card that you want to see early, which means 2x. I could probably swing some trades (I have Han, Black One, two Launch Bays, another Crime Lord, etc.)

Comlink's ability to scramble the dice when it hits seems like good insurance, but I was considering dropping it for Survival Gear (or dropping Datapad for Survival Gear) sheerly for the consistency on the die faces. I could be talked out of any configuration of them, probably, but so far the Comlinks + Datapads have done what I perceive to be their job. I'll try playtesting without one or both.

Hoth I like because it's worked for me anecdotally. Grabbing claim early (prematurely?) in the first few turns against some aggro decks has been a difference maker, and because I can generate shields intentionally (rather than incidentally) it makes for a satisfying capstone; a lot of the aggro and midrange decks I've played so far just do very little in the way of shielding themselves, and chewing through the extra HP is sometimes annoying but rarely makes me feel like I'm solely on the losing end of the bargain. Mos Eisley is probably something I should test, though. That, or Imperial Armory or something.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

This is what I've been using for my deck and dice, and it's pretty good. I wish the satin towers could hold more than like 9 dice in the bottom tray but alas and alackaday.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

guts and bolts posted:

This is what I've been using for my deck and dice, and it's pretty good. I wish the satin towers could hold more than like 9 dice in the bottom tray but alas and alackaday.

Put your tokens in the bottom tray, dice in the box. you can fit your deck + 18 dice (24 if your're careful with opening/closing). That's what I do anyway

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

Star Wars has characters for days. I wonder if they'll start dipping into EU? I kind of hope not. Imagine opening up a pack and getting DASH RENDAR - EXTREME SMUGGLER

Screw you Dash is my extreme waifu!

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

guts and bolts posted:

Swapped some stuff at the FLGS tonight. Some hard choices were made.

I got rid of Vader for a Luke Skywalker, a Survival Gear, a Comlink, an Electroshock, a DH-17 Pistol, and an On The Hunt. I guess I was probably on the losing end of the deal, but I had just traded Crime Lord and some other nonsense for the other Luke Skywalker I needed, so I made the deal. It's whatever. gently caress Vader anyway, heroes rule.

Shell
Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight (20)
Admiral Ackbar, Perceptive Tactician (10)
Echo Base, Hoth

Upgrades (13)
Comlink x2
Data Pad x2
Force Throw x2
Force Training x2
Jedi Robes x2
Lightsaber x2
Luke Skywalker's Lightsaber x1

Supports (0)

Events (17)
All In x2
Defensive Stance x2
Deflect x2
Field Medic x2
Force Misdirection x2
Leadership x2
Riposte x1
Use The Force x2
Willpower x2

Obviously there's some stuff I could see being changed around, but a lot of decisions were made based on probably-flawed thinking anyway, so I'll just have to playtest the gently caress out of this. Dug In and Defensive Position are omitted because the matchups where they'd matter the most, to me, are the matchups in which I can't logically contest the battlefield most of the time; I went with Defensive Stance instead. One With The Force is too expensive and I don't own any. I would like to include a second Luke's lightsaber just so it doesn't get disarmed, and possibly find room for Return of the Jedi, as well, but I'm not sure what I'd cut. Even stuff I originally considered middling is maybe not bad here, like Survival Gear or, hell, Rey's Staff. I've played this deck basically twice. It is far from good, I'd bet. But it does feel more or less feature-complete, plus or minus some meta calls and tuning. (Reeeeeally don't like not being able to fit Dodge in there, anywhere.) Also it's fun as gently caress to pilot.

gently caress villainy.
Consider Imperial Armoury as the Battlefield as it lets you ramp 2 cost upgrades into 3 cost ones with ease. With that in mind 2 x IBaT is a must if you can lay your hands on them. Also consider a second riposte, it's from nowhere value is not to be underestimated.
Keep Dug In in mind as well, going super heavy on shields seems like overkill but it can be tech especially with Riposte able to turn them into damage and if you can keep a fully loaded Luke alive your chances of winning are good.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

HidaO-Win posted:

Consider Imperial Armoury as the Battlefield as it lets you ramp 2 cost upgrades into 3 cost ones with ease. With that in mind 2 x IBaT is a must if you can lay your hands on them. Also consider a second riposte, it's from nowhere value is not to be underestimated.
Keep Dug In in mind as well, going super heavy on shields seems like overkill but it can be tech especially with Riposte able to turn them into damage and if you can keep a fully loaded Luke alive your chances of winning are good.

Thanks for the feedback - I wish there was a way to phrase this more sincerely but really I appreciate all the advice I've been getting, so yeah, thank you.

w/r/t Imperial Armory and IBAT, I have the feeling that cutting stuff to include both would be overkill, but I'll give it a try. IBAT is the one I'm a little more wobbly on between the two - it has been harder than I thought to find room for it.

Strongly considering a swap from Comlink to Survival Gear, but I want to playtest much more extensively before I come to any conclusions. Right now I'm basically just splashing red instead of taking real advantage of the cardpool, and I think some of that is the hold-over from my first deck (monoblue villainy).

I think it's pretty cool that, yeah, there's only one complete set in the books so far, but that Awakenings features so few straight up bad cards. I'm probably going to cut a Force Throw when I get my second Luke's lightsaber, but in terms of events, like... they all feel really good. To find room for great cards like IBAT, a second Riposte, a second Luke's lightsaber, Dug In, Defensive Position, Survival Gear, etc., you have to skip over other great cards like Force Throw, Willpower, Defensive Stance, Force Misdirection, Deflect, etc.

The only really non-negotiable items in the deck, though, to me, are:
4 weapons in some configuration (Rey's Staff, Luke's Lightsaber, Lightsaber)
both copies of All In
either 2 copies of Leadership or 2 copies of Hit and Run

which is only actually 8 cards. Everything else is a season-to-taste affair. I like Riposte and Willpower for their die-independent damage (Willpower also loving heals you, which is essential to me), but I could see someone who knows more than I do electing to exclude them for a more comprehensive healing/shielding package. I'm still bad at the battlefield mini-game, so I've chosen Defensive Stance for its consistency versus Dug In's extra potency. If I was better at the game I would likely reverse that call.

I'm pretty sold on eLuke/Ackbar being a solid, upper-tier deck, though. It feels strong and it's fun to play.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

banned from Starbucks posted:

Screw you Dash is my extreme waifu!

In Star Wars, there's a character for everybody and everybody has a character.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Finster Dexter posted:

In Star Wars, there's a character for everybody and everybody has a character.

And even the background characters are secretly super important

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

http://swdestinydb.com/decklist/view/6390/frommoncalamariwithlove-1.0

I really like the idea of this decklist. eAckbar and two Rebel Troopers, and guns guns guns guns.

I also like the idea of using It's A Trap! with an Ackbar deck.
There's only a single (optional) legendary in that deck, I already have the two most expensive cards (Holdout Blasters), so I bet I can put the rest of it together on the cheap. Maybe this will be the deck I chill with for a while until supply issues are settled out.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Does anyone know what to do with a one die Luke? Here's my list of ideas:

Pair with a 2 die Rey.

That's it.

I mean, you could pair with a 2 die Ackbar, but why?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
1 die Luke is at a super awkward point cost. You could try 2 dice Padme and build some kind of discard deck that uses blue and yellow control to stay alive, but that's better with padme, rey, trooper. You could also try luke/rey but I think it's a pretty limited build.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

After 2.5 boxes I have 0 Admiral Ackbars and it makes me sad. Would anybody be willing to trade me 2 Ackbars for 1 Black One (you will get one of my extras that is unblemished, btw)?

e: actually, I'd be willing to trade 1 for 1; my Black One for your Ackbar

Finster Dexter fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Finster Dexter posted:

After 2.5 boxes I have 0 Admiral Ackbars and it makes me sad. Would anybody be willing to trade me 2 Ackbars for 1 Black One (you will get one of my extras that is unblemished, btw)?

e: actually, I'd be willing to trade 1 for 1; my Black One for your Ackbar

I'm down for this.

Anything else you're looking for while we're at it? Rare-wise anyway; I don't have any extra legendaries currently.