Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's definitely interesting but... it's 50 episodes long and 50 episodes of that kind of bleakness is an absolute loving slog to get through. The ending is also kind of a wet fart that comes completely out of left field and doesn't really make a ton of sense.

I would say check out some of Sho Aikawa's other stuff for the same themes as 2003, just done better, but... they're kind of not done better. Dude's kind of a poo poo writer, honestly. That said, however, Genocyber, Angel Cop, and Violence Jack all have a pretty similar worldview to FMA 2003, and all three are a loving hoot (though be warned that Genocyber and Violence Jack have some seriously :nms: gore in them- they're basically anime Fulci, whereas FMA 2003 is kinda like anime Von Trier).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipr-wS5iBv0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I miss how over the top old anime voice overs were simply because they were trying to fit words to the lip movements. If character's lips are moving, we need to put words there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Q6AwrGUkQ

Japanese version lines: "Wow, spooky case! They got us looking for vampires now!"

"Actually, the vampires of legend were tragic creatures. Eternally young, but forever craving human blood."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Oh my loving god I know right? I thought whoever originally mentioned that scene was kidding

The first one is a legit decent horror flick that just goes to some really grunchy places, I can't speak for any of the others

(Sho Aikawa is not a well-adjusted man, if that wasn't already pretty clear)

Angel Cop is interesting. Remember that Asian guy who said, during the whole whitewashing debate with ScarJo, that you can't strip out the Japanese-ness from Ghost In The Shell because it's integral to the plot, even though there's almost nothing Japan about the original GITS manga, which is why it's an universal hit? That's Angel Cop. It lauds the greatness of Japan, especially it's technology and economy, but came out right about the time the Japanese bubble collapse. And it's brutal actioner but to most anime fans, it's that anime where they changed the dialogue because the last episode veers into anti-Semitism, revealing the overall plot is the Jews of trying to destroy Japan through "leftist" terrorism. The localization team, with it's Jewish translator, changed this to wholly Americans, which matched with the original manga's plot, but you can find on Youtube the scene with the original dialogue (which was translated by the same translator) matched with the English language version .

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kIe6UZHSXw

Power Rangers trailer

I THINK THIS LOOKS REALLY COOL AND I LIKE IT although i could continue to nitpick things.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Power Rangers trailer

I THINK THIS LOOKS REALLY COOL AND I LIKE IT although i could continue to nitpick things.

Was that Goldar? Hope they didn't strip him compldtely of his personality from the series.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Power Rangers trailer

I think it looks cool and fun as well but I couldn't nitpick things. Power Rangers came out when I was in preschool and I don't remember many details beyond they would fight monsters and it was rad as hell.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Trailer wasn't bad, but things didn't go too well for the last movie trailer I saw that used that song in its trailer.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Power Rangers trailer

It's hard to tell whether the film is leaning toward being earnest or sarcastic about its whole premise. Like the stuff in that trailer is a 50/50 split of the two, and I think it works a lot better when it's just sorta owning its silliness than when it's trying to undermine it by pointing out how silly the idea of power rangers, and all the trappings that come with them, are. I never thought I'd say this about a Power Rangers movie but there's honestly a good movie buried somewhere in there, but god knows if that movie will be what eventually comes out.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

Was that Goldar? Hope they didn't strip him compldtely of his personality from the series.

Toyline says yes and most defientaly

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Hat Thoughts posted:

i guess but the article heavily implies that the bad working conditions were like entirely because of him & its all phrased in the past tense as well

etc.

Big Eyes shared universe lookin good

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Someone described the latest xXx as Vin Diesel making his own Threat Level Midnight and now I'm psyched to see it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

They try to give this movie the Fast & Furious approach when it comes to the cast, by having a wide range of cool dudes and ladies. What Xander Cage really needs however is a sidekick, a straight man, that constantly calls him out on his stupid poo poo.

So Diesel has like Seagal levels of self regard and character protection happening, right? That always results in lovely movies.

Still love Steven Seagal's tantrum on the set of Executive Decision.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Red Bones posted:

It's hard to tell whether the film is leaning toward being earnest or sarcastic about its whole premise. Like the stuff in that trailer is a 50/50 split of the two, and I think it works a lot better when it's just sorta owning its silliness than when it's trying to undermine it by pointing out how silly the idea of power rangers, and all the trappings that come with them, are. I never thought I'd say this about a Power Rangers movie but there's honestly a good movie buried somewhere in there, but god knows if that movie will be what eventually comes out.

I enjoyed the delivery of "PEE IN THIS CUP!"

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Tars Tarkas posted:

WHO WANTS A LISA FRANK MOVIE?!??!?!?!

i do because i bet the visuals are going to absolutely loving amazing, a Speed Racer tier movie in terms of color usage

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm super excited for the power rangers movie because I am a mid to late twenties year old male and I loving grew up on that poo poo
What excites me the most is that we get actual giant mecha fights in broad daylight instead of your usual dark rainy occluded environments

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Calaveron posted:

I'm super excited for the power rangers movie because I am a mid to late twenties year old male and I loving grew up on that poo poo
What excites me the most is that we get actual giant mecha fights in broad daylight instead of your usual dark rainy occluded environments

Also they aren't in waist deep oceans.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

In almost any other circumstance I'd be super excited for at least the idea of a big budget hollywood take on a sentai show. I have fond Power Rangers memories and I still like giant robots, but man, this isn't doing it for me. I dunno, it seems to be the usual adaptation thing of they're too ashamed of not being taken seriously so they have to edge it up to keep face or something.

That said though, I'd still throw my hat in the ring for a Kamen Rider take. It can't be worse than the US TV series at least.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It didn't really seem that edgy to me.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

The edgy stuff was kept out of that new trailer but the older one seemed more like that with a lovely school life and Rita attacking Trini in her home saying she's killer power rangers before while choking her

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-C4qqsgs8w

First trailer for reference.

I don't really think it's that edgy. Melodramatic maybe

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Yeah the first trailer has that shot where the bully tries to headbutt a teenager with attitude and gets knocked out so again like, jury's out on how this film is really handling tone.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Outside of the obvious nostalgia, what keeps interesting me about the Power Rangers movie is that they seem to want to convey that having powers like they do is loving awesome. You're suddenly and majorly jacked, you've got a robot dinosaur, and techno/magical armor.

Plus, when Bryan Cranston Face tells you not to use them for personal gain, you know that such a warning is best heeded.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

MisterBibs posted:

Outside of the obvious nostalgia, what keeps interesting me about the Power Rangers movie is that they seem to want to convey that having powers like they do is loving awesome. You're suddenly and majorly jacked, you've got a robot dinosaur, and techno/magical armor.

Plus, when Bryan Cranston Face tells you not to use them for personal gain, you know that such a warning is best heeded.

They seen Breaking Bad, they probably know what happens to people who cross him.

Violator
May 15, 2003

No super scary werewolf face for Goldar?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Power Rangers trailer

This is definitely better than the first one.

In other weird news, Stephen Gaghan, who directed Traffic and Syriana is attached to write and direct the adaptation of The Division.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I still maintain that the megazord's face is a screen because they're going to project Zordon's face on it during the climax

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Calaveron posted:

I still maintain that the megazord's face is a screen because they're going to project Zordon's face on it during the climax

Aw hell yeah. Learn from the best.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The Shazam movie is now getting a Rock-focused spinoff for Black Adam (called Black Adam)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Violator posted:

No super scary werewolf face for Goldar?

That's like 90% of his personality.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

MisterBibs posted:

Also, you suddenly have five friends where before you had none.

It would be kind of funny if the kids discovered that, even with their shared destiny and awesome powers, they don't really like each other all that much.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Grendels Dad posted:

Also, you suddenly have five friends where before you had none.

It would be kind of funny if the kids discovered that, even with their shared destiny and awesome powers, they don't really like each other all that much.

Like that won't happen anyway? The question would be if it's played up Grimdarkly or goofy like a 90s buddy film.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

muscles like this! posted:

In other weird news, Stephen Gaghan, who directed Traffic and Syriana is attached to write and direct the adaptation of The Division.

Soderbergh directed Traffic.

Unless you mean Gaghan stood in the middle of traffic lights with white gloves and waved cars through.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Tars Tarkas posted:

The Shazam movie is now getting a Rock-focused spinoff for Black Adam (called Black Adam)

They're remaking the 90s Sinbad movie?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Calaveron posted:

He's a flying monkey for the wicked witch

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Black Adam would basically be Scorpion King but with Superman. It is a perfect story for the Live Action DC Murderverse , espicially if the Shazam movie gets canceled proving there are no true superheroes in todays bleak world

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Black Adam would basically be Scorpion King but with Superman. It is a perfect story for the Live Action DC Murderverse , espicially if the Shazam movie gets canceled proving there are no true superheroes in todays bleak world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnVPUK-8P0M&hd=1

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

This is definitely better than the first one.

Ah, you mean the writer of Call of Duty: Ghosts

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I'M BLACK and PEE IN THAT CUP were pretty funny
And I would follow Bryan Cranston to the ends of the cinematographical world

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Calaveron posted:

I'M BLACK and PEE IN THAT CUP were pretty funny
And I would follow Bryan Cranston to the ends of the cinematographical world
Cranston seems like a legit cool guy based on the interviews of him I've listened to. Probably the most down to Earth guy in Hollywood. So I hope it does well for his sake.

At least that trailer is better than the first one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henker
May 5, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Cranston seems like a legit cool guy based on the interviews of him I've listened to. Probably the most down to Earth guy in Hollywood. So I hope it does well for his sake.

At least that trailer is better than the first one?
Yeah I've got to appreciate that time he walked around Comic Con all day wearing a Bryan Cranston mask.

• Locked thread