Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Yeah, if it's a unified world government where you can teleport anywhere on the planet whenever and have universal translators, pretty much anyone with any kind of accent can end up living anywhere.

Or maybe Picard is speaking with a French dialect the whole time and what we hear is the universal translator correcting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yeah, if it's a unified world government where you can teleport anywhere on the planet whenever and have universal translators, pretty much anyone with any kind of accent can end up living anywhere.

Or maybe Picard is speaking with a French dialect the whole time and what we hear is the universal translator correcting it.

Even it today's world you'll find people speak in perfect accents despite being born and growing up elsewhere. So, it's not surprising and needs no explanation.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

In the chaos following the destruction of London, the House of Windsor fell and the House of Stuart took over. The Fifth Republic collapsed in the war and, in the French Civil War, the Bonpartists triumphed. Attempting to legitimize their new monarchy, they sought out a Bourbon ruler, but the best they could manage was a cadet branch of the Brazilian royal family. Stuart took offense to this and cross channel landings in the 2050s attempted to regain English claims in France, also out of the concept of European stability. After pressing as far south as Anjou, English forces turned east to attempt to encircle the French capital at Orleans and bring the war to an end, while Spanish and Italian troops (augmented by North African mercenaries) pressed into what was left of Toulouse, under the agreement that Spain would cede Aquitaine in exchange for English assistance in Spanish and Italian claims throughout the Maghreb. New United Nations peacekeepers arrived in great force roughly around the time Franche-Comté fell and enforced territorial claims uti possidetis, pending the reconstitution of the European Parliament. However, enormous numbers of "blue line" US peacekeepers, combined with token English garrison forces, remained in region for almost a generation. This resulted in closer economic integration with England and local commerce was often conducted in British English.

Thus, Picard grew up in British France several hundred years later. Or that's what I assume.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Personally I just find it odd that Geordi La Forge wasn't originally intended to be in engineering and it's a complete coincidence.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

mossyfisk posted:

Personally I just find it odd that Geordi La Forge wasn't originally intended to be in engineering and it's a complete coincidence.

His ancestor, the navigator of the HMS Enterprise, looks down on him sadly.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

You can't just not post it after that! We gotta see it.

USS Pizza Cutter.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Ahahaha, yessssss!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ_LOM1rAv8

"There's only one way to find out... SLEEP WITH THE ENEMY!*"

*may not happen in the show.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Watching bits of STIV, I've realized that as I'm getting older, the more I empathize with McCoy. Kirk is the hero and Spock is the smart guy, so naturally they come up with these impossible decisions (like, in IV, going back in time to steal whales, like it's some casual everyday thing), and McCoy is audibly :wtc: over it, because wouldn't you?

Orv
May 4, 2011

MorgaineDax posted:

Ahahaha, yessssss!

Oh wooow, I had forgotten about those. Jesus christ, what a shitshow those were.

I can't find the BBC one I was talking about, but they did this one for their New Years marathon, which is a whole other kind of great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5DoNpcuaz4

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Atreiden posted:

B'Elana and Tom Paris are both childish in the worst way and can't cope with not getting their wills, and are often major dicks. How they got to be senior officers is beyond me.

Because, literally, everyone else ahead of them died in the pilot.

E:
Funniest part of Force of Nature: everyone (including the Klingons) instantly agrees to revolutionize their society with a Warp 5 limit when scientists prove Warpogenic Galactic Climate Change is real, instead of finding some crackpot to say science isn't real and complaining speed limits are bad for the economy and just no fun so maybe we should ignore it.

Actual Funniest part of Force of Nature: the writers pay lip service to Warpogenic GCC for like three episodes and then decide speed limits are boring and just no fun and ignore it from then on.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 20, 2017

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm still pretty sure the one lady and her brother or whatever in the one pod were the real crackpots and after the Federation looked at the data for more than, what, an hour realized they were crackpots.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I imagine they just re-studied it and found one weird trick to modulating warp fields to mitigate most of the damage.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
If warp travel's really dangerous, shouldn't one of the ancient civilizations have already ruined the universe before they went non-corporeal? Or is the Federation the only culture to ever develop high-speed warp?

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

It doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense for a spacefaring civilization with multiple offworld colonies to die off so maybe the reason all these space Atlantises died out is because they blew up warp.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Angry Salami posted:

If warp travel's really dangerous, shouldn't one of the ancient civilizations have already ruined the universe before they went non-corporeal? Or is the Federation the only culture to ever develop high-speed warp?

It feels like the current generation may be one of the most crowded?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sash! posted:

I'm still pretty sure the one lady and her brother or whatever in the one pod were the real crackpots and after the Federation looked at the data for more than, what, an hour realized they were crackpots.

That's what happened the first time she brought it up a few years earlier.

By the time the episode takes place she's tired of how long peer-review on her new research is taking so she proves it by blowing up subspace and killing herself in the process.

Joke's on her though because she impulsively did it too close to her home planet so she caused the environmental catastrophe she was trying to prevent :downs:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

MorgaineDax posted:

Ahahaha, yessssss!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ_LOM1rAv8

I see your sleep with the enemy and raise you the horny ghost of Roddenberry's past

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1mD6wQMgjo

A secret experiment is turning fantasy... into reality.
:heysexy:

8one6 fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 20, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I like how earth has a huge death ray on Mars capable of destroying cities and colonies anywhere in the system but has zero security and you can control it by touching a pipe.

You can control anything by touching the right pipe.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The finale for Enterprise was sold as a "love letter to the fans", it's funny that the Trek producers thought that a big pile of post taco bell poo poo was a love letter. Just pointless in every single way, and showed how massively out of touch they were from what fans actually wanted. They thought "everyone likes TNG, lets bring it back and completely undermine the concept of Enterprise for a poor fanservice episode". It's kind of the same thing with Nemesis. At least that had a dunebuggy.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

More like Berman had spent every moment after TNG trying to remake it. Love letter to him, more likely.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yep, Voyager was a "love letter" to TNG. He hated and didn't understand DS9 because it seemed to be doing it's own thing not just cargo-culting TNG. Enterprise got canceled, let's show everyone it could have been literally TNG!! Look networks you just canceled TNG! Remember TNG?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
From what I've read in 50 Year Mission, he didn't hate DS9. He didn't get it, but he trusted Piller and, later, Behr to run it. He even fought for DS9 to get more money a handful of times. That book in general paints Berman as a man who didn't care one way or another about Trek, but felt an obligation to police things as he thought Gene would have wanted them. At worst, he was just apathetic.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

He's a convenient villain to blame for how lovely Voyager and the TNG movies were.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

From what I've read in 50 Year Mission, he didn't hate DS9. He didn't get it, but he trusted Piller and, later, Behr to run it. He even fought for DS9 to get more money a handful of times. That book in general paints Berman as a man who didn't care one way or another about Trek, but felt an obligation to police things as he thought Gene would have wanted them. At worst, he was just apathetic.
Most of the pressure to make Voyager into The Next Next Generation came from Paramount.

It was UPN's flagship show, and they wanted their new Star Trek series pulling the same kind of numbers as TNG (which was never going to happen for half a dozen different reasons).

Berman was mostly just concerned with preserving "Gene's vision" -- mostly squeaky-clean Starfleet crews, which DS9 has gotten away from when nobody was looking.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

WhiteHowler posted:

Most of the pressure to make Voyager into The Next Next Generation came from Paramount.

It was UPN's flagship show, and they wanted their new Star Trek series pulling the same kind of numbers as TNG (which was never going to happen for half a dozen different reasons).

Berman was mostly just concerned with preserving "Gene's vision" -- mostly squeaky-clean Starfleet crews, which DS9 has gotten away from when nobody was looking.

One of my favorite passages so far:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

FuturePastNow posted:

He's a convenient villain to blame for how lovely Voyager and the TNG movies were.

Yeah, diehard Trek fans just won't accept that Trek peaked with TNG, the huge audience that was there vanished, and no matter how good the next three shows could've been, the sheer numbers simply weren't going to be there anymore.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I'm disappointed we never got a followup to the Giant Spock Clone episode of TAS.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

MrJacobs posted:

That happens to droids in star wars, who are literally sentient robot slaves. But they make cool noises so just ignore that part of it.
To be fair, they have literal human(oid?) slaves in Star Wars too.

Pwnstar posted:

Yes he boned. He even somehow had a child when he was on the fast time planet for three years.
Its been a couple years since I've watched that episode, but I'm assuming the child's mother boned some other dude and then just told the Doctor the baby was his and then he just didn't say anything because "I know I'm sterile because I'm only a complex simulation of a person" might not go over well either.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHqj_Ooxt5M

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Cat Hatter posted:

Its been a couple years since I've watched that episode, but I'm assuming the child's mother boned some other dude and then just told the Doctor the baby was his and then he just didn't say anything because "I know I'm sterile because I'm only a complex simulation of a person" might not go over well either.

When it came up he said it was a "long story." I'm choosing to believe he somehow really knocked her up through mad science because that's funnier.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Today would have been DeForest Kelley's 97th birthday.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I ain't reading this insane thread but holy poo poo Mirror Mirror might be my favorite episode and I'm only 1/3 through. Evil Federation is amazing.

:stare: Mr. Sulu

e: :laffo: evil Kirk and regular Spock

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 20, 2017

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I ain't reading this insane thread but holy poo poo Mirror Mirror might be my favorite episode and I'm only 1/3 through. Evil Federation is amazing.

Enterprise actually has a sequel to that episode that's even better. And probably one of the best episodes of Enterprise.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gonz posted:

Today would have been DeForest Kelley's 97th birthday.

But it is also Tom Baker's 83rd birthday.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

But it is also Tom Baker's 83rd birthday.

Tom Baker is forever.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

My favorite thing about Mirror, Mirror is how it subverts your expectations for what will happen with the Mirror Universe crew that ends up on our Enterprise.

Like you're thinking "oh man, I bet Mirror Kirk is going to get up to some evil poo poo in the main universe."

Then they cut to our Enterprise, and Spock being Spock, has already figured out what's going on. "this Captain Kirk appears to be from another, parallel universe."

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

FuturePastNow posted:

Enterprise actually has a sequel to that episode that's even better. And probably one of the best episodes of Enterprise.

IIRC it's actually a prequel to that episode - but a sequel to "The Tholian Web."

Pwnstar posted:

When it came up he said it was a "long story." I'm choosing to believe he somehow really knocked her up through mad science because that's funnier.

I always assumed there was an adoption or surrogacy involved, and he pretended to be disappointed to learn that he was sterile. Or maybe being a scuzzball with super-advanced medical knowledge, he convinced his wife that it was HER fault.

Eh, maybe not; I think that may be my favorite Voyager episode, don't want to taint its memory.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Clearly as part of his program, he has Zimmerman's DNA on file, and so on from there. Walter Bishop would be proud. :science:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Apollodorus posted:

IIRC it's actually a prequel to that episode - but a sequel to "The Tholian Web."

Yeah, that's right. It's about what happened to the USS Defiant after it vanished into spatial interphase at the end of The Tholian Web- and ended up in the mirror universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I was watching The Inner Light last night. The actress that plays Picard's wife in his mind also played the alien who administered O'Brien's 20 year mind prison. It occurred to me that that might have been an intentional casting choice for that theme.