Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't like CBS because the NFL on CBS Theme triggers that vague feeling of dread and grouchiness that the weekend is over soon and I have to go back to work instead of being an independently wealthy playboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

DJExile posted:

I choose to believe stuff like this becomes a running joke among broadcasters. DID YOU KNOW JIMMY GRAHAM PLAYED COLLEGE BASKETBALL???

That's good information. Were you aware Ryan Fitzpatrick went to Harvard?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spoeank posted:

That's good information. Were you aware Ryan Fitzpatrick went to Harvard?

DID YOU KNOW THAT EVERY RECENT EVEN YEAR THE GIANTS WON THE WORLD- oh wait, never mind.

:unsmigghh:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
DID YOU GUYS KNOW THAT BROCK OSWEILER IS REALLY TALL

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

So I noticed yesterday that CBS only had one Divisional game, FOX had two and NBC one, while FOX has the Superbowl, and each network got one Wildcard game. I assume that next year CBS or NBC will get two divisional games while the other networks get one each?

I thought NBC was done wild card weekend, but when they bumped KC/Pitt to Sunday night it became NBC's domain (or CBS wouldn't dump its Sunday night programming.) Anyone else see this?

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

C. Everett Koop posted:

I thought NBC was done wild card weekend, but when they bumped KC/Pitt to Sunday night it became NBC's domain (or CBS wouldn't dump its Sunday night programming.) Anyone else see this?

It was always going to be NBC. You know how difficult it would be to swap network crews out in that short a period of time.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

marioinblack posted:

It was always going to be NBC. You know how difficult it would be to swap network crews out in that short a period of time.

NBC now has one wild-card weekend game and one divisional weekend game now, with them coming from different conferences (and different networks).

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Benne posted:

DID YOU GUYS KNOW THAT BROCK OSWEILER IS REALLY TALL

No I didn't thank you

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TNT is going to do a few NBA games with former players doing both commentary AND play-by-play.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

At least Reggie and C-Webb aren't doing PBP.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

They have the best stable of PBP guys in sports idgi

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I guess it's a different animal of sorts, but cricket is generally commentated on TV by former players, but there's no clearly defined "play by play" or "analyst" roles, and it's usually just two guys bullshitting. On the radio, only Jonathan Agnew is a former player who does play by play, mainly because when he tried to be an analyst he was rubbish

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

it's usually just two guys bullshitting.

Welcome to every baseball broadcast ever.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

iospace posted:

"Last night I was sitting on the porch when the dog ran right through the screen door--

--here's the 2-2 pitch, its a high breaking ball....and ball three--

--so now the wife is on me to replace the door before her sister visits."

Every baseball radio broadcast ever

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sash! posted:

"Last night I was sitting on the porch when the dog ran right through the screen door--

You totally haven't had enough Brewer's radio broadcasts in your life.

Maybe you have, dunno.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Sash! posted:

this sounds like cricket on the radio or TV too

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Sash! posted:

Ya know, that's one of the things I like about baseball. I don't think I realized that until I read your post.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

iospace posted:

What if they were both Bill Walton?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bip Roberts posted:

I don't see how anything changes except for the addition of weed talk.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If you have DirecTV and a 4K television, Saturday and Sunday's premiership matches on NBCSN will be in full 4K

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Bip Roberts posted:

There's only one Bill Walton

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So get a load of this: Enseo ran a study of what hotel TVs are mostly stuck on. #1 is NBC, which I guess most TVs just turn on by default. #2 actually isn't ESPN, it's Netflix.

I'll be damned.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This is just a study of hotels using enseo's product and isn't indicative of hotels in general.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think I asked about networks broadcasting a seemingly lopsided package of NFL playoff games a few weeks ago, so now I have another question: Any reason why the championship games are in strange time windows compared to the rest of the playoffs that aren't the Superbowl?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

I think I asked about networks broadcasting a seemingly lopsided package of NFL playoff games a few weeks ago, so now I have another question: Any reason why the championship games are in strange time windows compared to the rest of the playoffs that aren't the Superbowl?

The league is essentially trying to fill up the middle of the day. With only two games, this is the best they can do, instead of a regular schedule with three time slots for games.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Notably, the games start after 12pm on the west coast

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Notably, the games start after 12pm on the west coast

this was my original line of thinking too. Anyway, I hope the NFL doesn't do something silly and put two wildcard games and two divisional games into primetime. I kind of like being able to watch 3 out of the 4 games each playoff weekend due to being a dirty European

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/823540357233278976

Should't be that surprised somewhere between John Saunders' death/budget cuts/that kind of longform reporter discussion being log obsolete.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TSR was one of the better talking-heads shows but it was still a talking head show and seemed at times to be a smarm-off that was almost always won by Mitch loving Albom.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

DJExile posted:

TSR was one of the better talking-heads shows but it was still a talking head show and seemed at times to be a smarm-off that was almost always won by Mitch loving Albom.

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/823542530981629952

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I like TSR, but it was one of those shows that was easy to forget it was on. It's a lot like Real Sports, which I also like since they tend to get into less talked about sports topics and they stay way away from hot takes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lol

E: vvvvv oh my god I forgot that. Goddamnit Mitch.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 23, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
RIP to the platform Mitch Albom used to say rape victims should donate settlement money to charity

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The sports reporters regularly let mike lupica, mitch albom, and jason whitlock speak, it was butt

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dick Schaap was cool.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It's sad that it's going away since I watched it a lot with my dad as a kid and, when executed properly, it's really good. But gently caress Mike Lupica.

And them replacing it with a weekly hour long E:60 is rad as gently caress

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 23, 2017

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

There are so many great "Mike Lupica is a Spectacular rear end in a top hat" stories that it's almost impossible to single one out.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Henchman of Santa posted:

RIP to the platform Mitch Albom used to say rape victims should donate settlement money to charity

:wtc:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

There are so many great "Mike Lupica is a Spectacular rear end in a top hat" stories that it's almost impossible to single one out.

He was full bore hand-wringing when KD went to Golden State, to the point where it clearly pissed him off that KD controlled the message.

quote:

A friend of mine, one of the smartest sports fans I know, sent me this email at warp speed on Monday morning once Durant announced on The Players' Tribune -- players control everything else in sports these days, why not their message? -- that he had decided to take his talents to the Bay Area

holy loving :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
The Sports Reporters was always that show that aired absurdly early on Sunday morning when nothing else but infomercials were on