Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Monsters Unleashed is fun for those who just want to see beautiful art of superheroes punch giant monsters.
Dialogue-wise it's really weak until the last third of the book since it's just "HOLY poo poo GIANT MONSTER!" "I think this is coordinated." "There's more raining from space!" Being repeated until Elsa shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have to confess I'm not entirely sure what a "yass queen" is. :(

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yass Kween is what you yell at your slay mom when she drags people.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

fadam posted:

Yass Kween is what you yell at your slay mom when she drags people.

And I thought the Slay was in reference to Carol being Captain Murder.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Clawtopsy posted:

tell us about the yass queen. Why do you like her? This isn't meant to sound accusatory, more I'm in the same boat as Roth.

I dig her because she was once upon a time lampshaded really loving hard and is not longer being lampshaded anywhere near as hard. Like, she was the central figure of Avengers 200 which was probably one of the worst comics marvel has ever put out, and when that's the low tide mark there's really only one way you can go. I like that there's been a concerted effort in making a character that was, more or less, poop'd on pretty hard for a lot of her career into someone that you could legit read a comic of and not have that awkward sense of 'oh hey, remember that time she got depowered because someone in editorial figured Rogue could use another bucket of powers because Bulorg's power is to have lots of powers?' or 'remember how another writer had to use a comic to literally call out the entire editorial staff for being okay with A200?' I like a good rehab story, you know?

Ultimate's is a cool comic that's a good read. Captain Marvel's adventures with Alpha Flight is also a good and cool comic. I really dig her costume redesign since I'm a sucker for more or less anything that Jamie McKelvie does, even if she's gotten progressively more off model as things have gone on (there must have been an editorial decision to just abandon her hair style entirely at one point.) I also figure that, hey, if you stopped liking characters because Bendis did some dumb poo poo with them, you're probably hate everyone by now.

Sion fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 19, 2017

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

JordanKai posted:

Being really behind the times is Captain Marvel's new gimmick, I guess.
Are you saying this because

a) Life of Pablo came out in February 2016
b) Marvel started doing "hip hop variant covers" (featuring 'homages' to covers from across several decades) back in fall of 2015
c) You were deep in the ball culture of NYC in the late 1980s and do not acknowledge the recent mainstream adoption of YAS QUEEN by people in the past year and a half and therefore consider this to be on par with Captain Marvel getting really into Max Headroom and wearing Zubaz
d) You're like twelve and think pop culture references more than six weeks old are grounds for the guillotine

Also Monsters Unleashed would have been cooler if any of the monsters before the last page looked anything like Kirby/Ditko monsters. The first 20-odd pages felt more like "Marvel Heroes Versus Classic Marvel Monsters!" and more "Marvel Heroes Versus Generic Lovecraftian Stuff Again!"

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

If Captain Marvel had like even just one good run in the past five or so years the Poochification would be a lot less egregious. Kamala is getting pushed nearly as hard but I see way less complaints about it because her solo book is terrific.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Does Captain Marvel even say "yass" or "yass queen"? She doesn't strike me as the type.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lobok posted:

Does Captain Marvel even say "yass" or "yass queen"? She doesn't strike me as the type.

Just wait until she shows up in Champions.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Edge & Christian posted:

Are you saying this because

a) Life of Pablo came out in February 2016
b) Marvel started doing "hip hop variant covers" (featuring 'homages' to covers from across several decades) back in fall of 2015
c) You were deep in the ball culture of NYC in the late 1980s and do not acknowledge the recent mainstream adoption of YAS QUEEN by people in the past year and a half and therefore consider this to be on par with Captain Marvel getting really into Max Headroom and wearing Zubaz
d) You're like twelve and think pop culture references more than six weeks old are grounds for the guillotine

I said that because editing the Life of Pablo cover to make it say something else was the thing to do about a year ago and is now really played out. It's akin to referencing Harambe or Ken Bone at this point. I didn't know the hip-hop variant covers were a thing though, so I guess the joke is on me.

No need to be rude about it. I don't think it's disgraceful or anything of that magnitude. I just think it's a little lame.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 19, 2017

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://news.marvel.com/comics/25081/see_all_of_marvels_hip_hop_variants_so_far/

They've been doing it for years, and I guess they sell well. They even have a trade out collecting them.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
There's a new trailer for Logan, and it's pretty loving rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH3OxVFvTeg

Also featuring a fistful of X-Men comics, which raises all kinds of questions.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

IUG posted:

https://news.marvel.com/comics/25081/see_all_of_marvels_hip_hop_variants_so_far/

They've been doing it for years, and I guess they sell well. They even have a trade out collecting them.

drat, that Sam Wilson one is actually really cool.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Maxwell Adams posted:

Not really? It's just like when they show up in the comics themselves: an in-universe version of Marvel made X-Men comics loosely based on the real people, like Logan says in the clip. It's an easy way to show how the world's gone to poo poo and to show that Laura might aspire to something more heroic than the bad guys want for her while reminding Logan and Charles what used to be.

Lobok posted:

I think the idea is that Marvel want people to say it ABOUT her after she does something :krad:

fadam posted:

If Captain Marvel had like even just one good run in the past five or so years the Poochification would be a lot less egregious. Kamala is getting pushed nearly as hard but I see way less complaints about it because her solo book is terrific.
The post-SW Alpha Flight stuff was actually very good, I felt. There was a nice rapport built between her and Puck and it did the best job of showing nuance during the CW2 stuff.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Maxwell Adams posted:

It's really good, but still can't beat using Johnny Cash in the first trailer.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I like that the money shot at the end is Logan and Laura double-teaming a bunch of nameless goons.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Edge & Christian posted:

Also Monsters Unleashed would have been cooler if any of the monsters before the last page looked anything like Kirby/Ditko monsters. The first 20-odd pages felt more like "Marvel Heroes Versus Classic Marvel Monsters!" and more "Marvel Heroes Versus Generic Lovecraftian Stuff Again!"

Would the classic monsters fighting the new monsters make you feel better? I think the real heroes of the book aren't going to be the ones in spandex.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I glanced through Carol discussion all over the Internet and I am no closer to finding out what the hell "Yaas Queen" even means.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

SilverSupernova posted:

I glanced through Carol discussion all over the Internet and I am no closer to finding out what the hell "Yaas Queen" even means.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/yaass

It's an old meme that never meant anything it the first place.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

SilverSupernova posted:

"Yas Queen" comes from queer, mostly minority, slang originating in underground gay culture that's now gained popularity on social media, and, like every other meme, has gotten saturated to the point your mom uses it, and it's no longer cool. Just in time for Marvel to throw in with it.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

SilverSupernova posted:

🎤 I post in C-SPAM and I'm here to say, I'll help you understand the yaas queen, slay. 🎶

It started as some chuckling at a Lady Gaga fan who was very happy to see said performer in person, and had an idiosyncratic way of pronouncing "yes" over and over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTJoH-xBCxQ

It circulated a while as a meme referencing that video, then jumped to another level of cultural penetration when it was used on some sitcom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A1xyy1D0Yk

This is also what cements the standard form, yaas queen.

The most prominent, most recent use of the phrase has been to express support for Hillary Clinton. In this context, it's often (but not always) used with the encouragement to slay—that is, metaphorically, to attain resounding success or victory. Any use with regard to Captain Marvel probably spins out of the :abuela: association.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I assume it's some tumblr bullshit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

BrianWilly posted:

Eh, I still like Carol. If I got turned off from every single character that Bendis or any other big event writer ever hosed up at one point, I'd be left with just liking...I dunno, Wong or something.

You can't gently caress up Captain Marvel, she hasn't been good to start with. The best Carol as Captain Marvel stuff we got was the promotional material for the launch and her first appearance in Ms. Marvel. Everything else has been bad, even her appearance in Avenging Spider-man, which is a book that seemed immune to bad writing at the time.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I mean, I knew comic fans were pretty much all a bunch of straight white people, but this thread acting like it's cool to not understand a phrase despite it being explained five times is the straightest, whitest thing I've seen in a while. And I've been watching the Trump Cabinet appointment hearings.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's cool to ignore explanations and entire runs if it means you can dunk on a character in a forum.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yass Queen would be much better if there actually was an Ilana character who was a Marvel superhero. Instead it gets used for an a-type personality military fighter pilot.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It's cool to ignore explanations and entire runs if it means you can dunk on a character in a forum.

It's not like any books came out that we could discuss instead. Who wants to talk about US Avengers or Ultimates when we can get mad about a stupid phrase in a solicit?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

I hadn't heard of broad city before but that clip was funny enough to get me interested

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Maxwell Adams posted:

this movie is looking pretty great and I hope it actually is

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I got the new issues of Cage, Gamora, U.S.Avengers, Doctor Aphra, Star-Lord, and Ultimates 2 this week, and this was a pretty strong week for Marvel I have to say. Not a bad comic in the entire lot.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I'm torn on whether to get Monsters Unleashed as singles or to trade wait on it. I'm guessing it'll be 5 or 6 issues?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hellcat continues to make vampire Jubilee awesome.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I do not get announcing this a day after the miniseries starts.
http://www.newsarama.com/32786-monsters-unleashed-ongoing-to-follow-mini-series.html

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Pretty simple actually. So anyone that may only be interested in ongoing books and skipped on Monsters Unleashed thinking it was only a little mini event might actually read it now if they're interested in a longer term story. I loved the first issue so I'm definitely down with this book. Especially with art by Baldeon who is very underrated.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

twistedmentat posted:

Hellcat continues to make vampire Jubilee awesome.

This arc didn't really do anything for me. Black Cat acted really stupid and incompetent, compared to her characterization in Silk. Ever since Shulk was out of commission this comic really seems to be missing something. Vampire Teen Mom is great, but she can't replace Jen as Patsy's best friend.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Are those new monsters on that cover? If they're existing ones I could take a stab and guess Zzaxx or Abomination or FFF but they don't look quite right.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Knowing it's not just a miniseries makes me wanna bail even harder.
Why not wait and let the reception to the miniseries dictate the ongoing? Why even have the miniseries?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I can't drum up much interest because I haven't really enjoyed most of Cullen Bunn's comics.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Knowing it's not just a miniseries makes me wanna bail even harder.
Why not let the reception dictate the ongoing? Why even have the miniseries?

If we can have 20 Spider-Man books and 10 X-Men books we can also try out some different ideas too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Lovechop posted:

i really want to like carol but it's getting pretty difficult. at least ultimates is great.

Agreed. The design for Logos is pretty amazing. Although I was kinda hoping for them to merge and be a new Living Tribunal. Just like looking around and at themselves and be like, "huh weird I guess it makes sense that it would happen like that, oh well".

• Locked thread