Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Oasx posted:

I wouldn't have minded it if Coulson and Mace agreed to split the tasks, so they each did what they were good at. But it just came across like Coulson was blackmailing Mace so Coulson could continue to do the fun job, but not have any actual responsibilities.
In this situation Coulson is more the "bad guy" than Mace is.

Mace was about to resign and Coulson talked him out of it (with the not unreasonable stipulation that Coulson would lead the tactical aspects of the operation). It's seriously win/win. And frankly that is what Coulson is good at, like Fury before him, pragmatically making the best use of people around him while not holding anyone to some perfect ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

We found out just how bad Mace was at operations when he got on the Quinnjet with Daisy and Jemma on their way to a mission and was like, "so.... I hope you guys can come up with a good plan because I got nothin'."

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

Talbot is the best.

He's seriously the best thing about this show. :3:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

enraged_camel posted:

His whole thing is a work of genius. What a loving dickhead.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

enraged_camel posted:

Comes across as a dumb meathead, is actually competent in just about every way. He's fantastic.

Plus, he has a point. Since when does anyone in SHIELD have room to criticize deep cover long game lies that are kept from everyone but top brass?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
"I'm gonna go get the hammer then!"

Sheepishly approaches Simmons after rant about how back in the old days they got to torture people
"Hey Simmons, this hydra guy just won't talk, what to doooo"

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

bloodychill posted:

"I'm gonna go get the hammer then!"

Sheepishly approaches Simmons after rant about how back in the old days they got to torture people
"Hey Simmons, this hydra guy just won't talk, what to doooo"

It ended up being a pretty effective hammer.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

AbsolutelySane posted:

It ended up being a pretty effective hammer.

True, but that whole scene was some lazy writing. Interrogation scenes that depend on scaring the hardened killer usually are though.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I know it wouldn't have worked really, but part of me was hoping that when Mac did the "Roll credits" fist bump the episode would end.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bloodychill posted:

True, but that whole scene was some lazy writing. Interrogation scenes that depend on scaring the hardened killer usually are though.

In fairness in a long history of "bad cop" interrogation scenes on TV a severed head was a pretty convincing one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I can't poo poo on a scene that allowed another Hydra head pun to be used.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Reset Smith posted:

Was the sniper bullet one of the special rounds from Luke Cage?

Looked like it, yeah. Kind of makes sense. If they were anticipating fighting Mace, who they thought was an indestructible Inhuman, that's the bullet they'd want to try.

I'm wondering if the May fever dream hallucination will be like the "Attic" episode from Dollhouse. That was a pretty effective take on a simulated, violent torture loop that keeps people comatose.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xealot posted:

I'm wondering if the May fever dream hallucination will be like the "Attic" episode from Dollhouse. That was a pretty effective take on a simulated, violent torture loop that keeps people comatose.

SHIELD: quickly turning into Dollhouse in Soviet Russia

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

STAC Goat posted:

In fairness in a long history of "bad cop" interrogation scenes on TV a severed head was a pretty convincing one.

Plus she started it off with "Hi, I was undercover in HYDRA too! Here are the tools you used. Here is a severed head to prove I am not loving around."

Knowledge of what's about to happen to him (in his mind) plus the fact that this chipper British lass is nonchalantly threatening to torture the poo poo out of you is probably unnerving enough to overcome any money Senator Nadir is paying them.

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013
I actually feel like the dude's "a hammer shatters glass but hardens steel" line was subtly pointing toward H.A.M.M.E.R. being the ones behind the assassination attempt on Mace.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Dracorion posted:

I actually feel like the dude's "a hammer shatters glass but hardens steel" line was subtly pointing toward H.A.M.M.E.R. being the ones behind the assassination attempt on Mace.

Me, too. And that may still be who's behind it. Maybe we'll get to see Norman Osborne.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Aleph Null posted:

Me, too. And that may still be who's behind it. Maybe we'll get to see Norman Osborne.

I thought it could be a reference, but it seems like they'd drop some more before they revealed anything like that. "The hammer shatters glass but hardens steel" is an actual line.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

OB_Juan posted:

I thought it could be a reference, but it seems like they'd drop some more before they revealed anything like that. "The hammer shatters glass but hardens steel" is an actual line.

It's a well known phrase. It's possible they were throwing it out there subtly before introducing the organization in more overt references. This show likes to do that at times, which makes it funny how there's always someone who gets the twist before it happens.

Well, except for Season 1's twist that this would actually wind up being a good show.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Apparently the Luke Cage judas bullet was developed by Hammer industries...

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I thought Simmons was going to make aidas head talk to the guy to show that she could make him talk dead or alive but they cut that part out. If that happened, there's no way you don't spill the beans because there's no benefit to staying quiet.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

kayakyakr posted:

Well, except for Season 1's twist that this would actually wind up being a good show.

I'm the only person who knew from the very start that this would be a good show. Nobody else believed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hope and vaseline posted:

Apparently the Luke Cage judas bullet was developed by Hammer industries...

They name drop Hammer Tech like 12 times in Luke Cage.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rhyno posted:

They name drop Hammer Tech like 12 times in Luke Cage.

And then didn't have the budget to make their power armour seem anything but laughable. Seriously, that final fight was a loving embarrassment.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

And then didn't have the budget to make their power armour seem anything but laughable. Seriously, that final fight was a loving embarrassment.

Reminded me of Deathlok's outfit from AOS Season 1, which was literally a pair of navy blue khakis, long sleeved shirt, metal forearm band and plastic body armor:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Season 4, Episode 10: The Patriot

http://i.imgur.com/L8YsGpi.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/zoh3iy2.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/pHZt97D.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/WWgzMtL.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/bYYD0lX.gifv

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

That guy held his own pretty drat well against two very skilled combatants. I wonder if we'll see more of him.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

I'm the only person who knew from the very start that this would be a good show. Nobody else believed.

Oi what about me.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I was lucky enough to have missed season 1, so I binged through it and didn't notice it was bad during its first half.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

enraged_camel posted:

That guy held his own pretty drat well against two very skilled combatants. I wonder if we'll see more of him.

Yeah that was weird, did they even give him a name? They seemed to have spent some money on burned face makeup.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

bring back old gbs posted:

Yeah that was weird, did they even give him a name? They seemed to have spent some money on burned face makeup.

they didn't name him that I heard, but they seem to be setting him up for a recurring role similar to head watchdog guy.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

BSam posted:

Oi what about me.

Yay! Fellow True Believer! :hfive:

bring back old gbs posted:

When Daisy brushed up against him in the beginning, I though that he was one of those people who can temporarily borrow other people's powers, but nope. Just a creepy bad guy. Badass, but creepy.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

I was lucky enough to have missed season 1, so I binged through it and didn't notice it was bad during its first half.

Same. But I also knew it was going to get good, because everyone was saying how fantastic the back half was.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
The poor quinjet pilot is all Washed up.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Coffee Mugshot posted:

I thought Simmons was going to make aidas head talk to the guy to show that she could make him talk dead or alive but they cut that part out. If that happened, there's no way you don't spill the beans because there's no benefit to staying quiet.

This would have been great.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

boxen posted:

:getout:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really want to think Radcliff isn't effected by what in the Darkhold, but is obsessed with it because he thinks it will be a breakthrough he's been looking for in some science we haven't seen yet. Or it could be like other evil books and draw the weak to it, to lust after it and obsess over it.

Though I think the Aida that got Mack'd was a copy, the one keeping May in the matrix is the original, and the Darkhold has completely messed her up, but she's still following Radcliff's orders because it hasn't completely reprogrammed her.

You know, Hammer Industries would make a good villain for the show, with a new CEO who's using it to put out black market anti Inhuman/Supers tech. Though I love the idea of it being Norman Osborne, at the same time, did he ever have any Lex Luther style "drat Superheroes, we don't need you, I'll show you!" kind of attitudes?

I'd also hope as we got closer to Homecoming that DailyBugle.com starts showing up as a news site.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

bloodychill posted:

This would have been great.

Disembodied Head: "I won't lie to you about your chances, but you have my sympathies."

HYDRA Dude: "Hello yes, I am ready to talk now, what part of HYDRA would you like to know about"

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

boxen posted:

I was actually listening closely in that scene, because I was expecting a Firefly reference. Didn't get one. :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I thought for sure they were headed a different direction when they said "We needed an Inhuman director, and we couldn't find one!". Thought we'd get the Mace Heroic Sacrifice™ and they'd move to make Daisy the new director.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Now I'm curious...would they have tried giving Mace the Fish Oil pills??

Or...will he be caught trying to take some?

• Locked thread