Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It's interesting to see a guy go "I'm just going to attack immediately with my wierd power before you figure out what it is" in a shonen series. Maybe his real power is to attack without exposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I get why it's done from a storytelling standpoint but aiming acid and laser beams at somebody's head directly is pretty brutal.

Also Vaultboy seems kinda arrogant and confrontational.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

blizzardvizard posted:

I get why it's done from a storytelling standpoint but aiming acid and laser beams at somebody's head directly is pretty brutal.

I think it's more that he's got no sense of tact.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

blizzardvizard posted:

Again, I'm kinda hoping everyone else is right- which would mean Vaultboy is basically trying to articulate exactly how amazingly effective these internships are since him and the others don't seem to be good at words.

"Oh yeah, I clowned your entire class in seconds- but check this: at the beginning of this year I actually wasn't worth poo poo"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I don't think he was closer to number one in that he was stronger than Endeavor. He is, likely, stronger than many pro-heroes. The reason why he's "closest" more likely has to do with potential and attitude. Endeavor is at the peak of his career, this kid is at the start of it. Endeavor has a legendarily-bad attitude and looks like an angry, burning boar or lion. The kid looks like Tin Tin.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mr. Fowl posted:

I don't think he was closer to number one in that he was stronger than Endeavor. He is, likely, stronger than many pro-heroes. The reason why he's "closest" more likely has to do with potential and attitude. Endeavor is at the peak of his career, this kid is at the start of it. Endeavor has a legendarily-bad attitude and looks like an angry, burning boar or lion. The kid looks like Tin Tin.

So he's going to be incredibly racist.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, being Number 1 is more than just strength.

Endeavor is technically Number 1 right now, but that's just because he's filling the spot left by All Might's untimely departure.

Skills, technique, intelligence, mental fortitude, power, personality, charisma, appeal, etc.

You need to have a bit of everything.

So closest to Number 1 is not "stronger than every hero out there" but rather "closest to filling the void left by All Might, even if it's not at this very moment."

At least, that's the way I see it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I figure fallout boy is just closest in terms of attitude. obviously this kid isn't gonna be stronger than endeavor

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Bleh.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

rumble in the bunghole posted:

It's interesting to see a guy go "I'm just going to attack immediately with my wierd power before you figure out what it is" in a shonen series. Maybe his real power is to attack without exposition.

That's basically every fight in Hunter x Hunter and Jojo, where figuring out the weird trick the opponent is using is half the battle.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I expect Deku to have the trick figured out by at least the middle of the next chapter.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
Goku Vs. Hit (I'm sorry)

Do you guys think we'll for sure find out what dude's scars are from?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm gonna bet that a couple of them are going to get back up and that this isn't going to be a one-on-one fight between him and Deku the entire four frames of the next chapter.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's basically every fight in Hunter x Hunter and Jojo, where figuring out the weird trick the opponent is using is half the battle.

I haven't read hxh (regretably) but jojo's more about traps and stuff that has wierd patterns and strange pathologies. They go for surprise attacks but it's with illusiory rooms that create feet that chase you at 50mph and poo poo. This is just a direct assault.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

someone could vault to the top

:iamafag:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

MonsieurChoc posted:

hunter hunter has tons of power exposition most of it is just done in reverse.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Elfgames posted:

hunter hunter has tons of power exposition most of it is just done in reverse.
!drac part ym detavitca ev'uoY

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Please leave your drac part out of this discussion, Mr. Belmont.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

rumble in the bunghole posted:

So he's King Crimson? Will we be getting an opening page with his stats that's just 90% text explaining how his power works?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Also Vault Boy hasn't driven his SO to child endagering madness.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Nuebot posted:

So he's King Crimson? Will we be getting an opening page with his stats that's just 90% text explaining how his power works?

"Look, I just need to make it perfectly clear that this isn't just The World/Star Platinum but it can't be interrupted for REASONS."

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
The cast is already getting pretty sizable, but I like ADHD senpai, Social Anxiety Notsuke, and (mental illness TBD) ghost of Tintin future. A couple extra years doing hero crap must be rough on the psyche.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

!drac part ym detavitca ev'uoY

this is great because i honestly consider hunterXhunter to be fightmans yugioh

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Urge to create shonen-inspired PBTA game rising...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Elfgames posted:

this is great because i honestly consider hunterXhunter to be fightmans yugioh

I want to play a character in a superhero rpg who uses yugioh cards as his superpower so bad.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

PMush Perfect posted:

Urge to create shonen-inspired PBTA game rising...

From the appropriate thread in TG

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, kickass, thanks!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It also applies to Old Spice.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new chapter!

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-no-Hero-Academia/124---The-Quickening--The-Internship-Episode-?id=344343

Mirio is not Vault Boy.

He's Calvin.

edit: Yaoyorozu with the masterful fourth wall breaking

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jan 26, 2017

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Spoiler-tagged since the chapter's just come out.

It occurs to me that Uraraka's powers are a natural counter to Tintin-senpai. His powers hinge on becoming intangible, falling through the ground, and using that to move around; if Ochako can manage to touch him, he will be weightless, so he won't sink, so his power will be useless.

IF she can manage to touch him.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, that isn't quite what I expected from Mirio's powers; being able to rocket himself upwards like that instead of just telefragging himself is interesting. Also kind of surprised at there being no twist or anything; he just stomped them flat (in five seconds, not minutes like what some people were thinking) and then gave a speech.

Meanwhile the end has some fun foreshadowing. Not surprising that the villains who got highlighted in Twice's chapter are going to be important now. That should be interesting. Also, new Shigaraki outfit. Guy's finally out of just wearing a shirt and sweats. I wonder if he still has the red sneakers or not.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's a cool power, but the bouncing out of the ground doesn't really make sense.

3 panels to explain it is only true if you're generous too. Good stuff though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

"You get shunted out into the nearest available empty space" is explicitly how teleporting into an object in D&D works, I have to wonder if that was an inspiration, too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Probably, it's not like D&D is some niche little thing, considering it inspires almost everything fictional ever in some form or another.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Then again, "two physics object can't overlap, if they do one of them is moved as quickly as possible to the closest empty space" is also explicitly how physics engines in videogames work. Which creates all sorts of glitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's a cool power, but the bouncing out of the ground doesn't really make sense.

3 panels to explain it is only true if you're generous too. Good stuff though.

It's a mistranslation, I believe.

Korean scans have Momo saying something along the lines of "3 panels would have sufficed, but he stretched it out."

Which makes way more sense.

I also feel like the words "There have been instances where people have died" makes it seem like students interning have died, whereas the Korean scans are more along the lines of you'll encounter death / people dying, in that interning students may come across dead civilians or stuff like that.

This also differs from the Korean version, where Midoriya thinks that "It's not just strong people who are at the top." which makes more sense with the second sentence in that Miro was able to get to the top not because he was strong, but because he worked hard.

Korean scans say the opposite; Momo is saying that they need to wait till Aizawa gives them the go ahead.

And finally, Korean scans have Gran saying "Who are you?" which makes more sense since Torino never recognizing Midoriya is a running joke in the manga.

When in doubt, doubt the skills of the MangaStream team, is my motto.