Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
What is it about SomethingAwful that drives moderators bug gently caress insane?

Or do they just start that way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The internet makes you stupid.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

SA is great to post on but modding means a tremendous amount of responsibility and thus stops being fun.

It's like being elected senator.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

oldpainless posted:

Hey now, senators get a great salary, benefits, and the opportunity to sell their soul many times over in exchange for kickbacks. SA moderators get.. um... yeah.

I think losing half a dozen of them in one day is some kind of record though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ToxicSlurpee posted:

What is it about SomethingAwful that drives moderators bug gently caress insane?

Or do they just start that way?

Gazing into the bad post abyss long enough warps you.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Apraxin posted:

Hey now, senators get a great salary, benefits, and the opportunity to sell their soul many times over in exchange for kickbacks. SA moderators get.. um... yeah.

I think losing half a dozen of them in one day is some kind of record though.

Who left?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
I'm not familiar for the most part with who mods what, but from that QCS thread I think we lost both AI mods and two from SAS, plus a couple more. There was mod forum drama that seems to have involved people arguing with Lowtax over whether or not a picture the newest D&D mod posted was racist against white people or not, I think? But there may have been other stuff as well, or maybe not? And then Lowtax demodded some of them, and the others resigned?

Notice all the question marks there, because there still seems to be a lot of arguing still going on about what happened. There is apparently some sort of announcement about The Future from Lowtax incoming tomorrow.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

this is all the dumbest poo poo.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Apraxin posted:

I'm not familiar for the most part with who mods what, but from that QCS thread I think we lost both AI mods and two from SAS, plus a couple more. There was mod forum drama that seems to have involved people arguing with Lowtax over whether or not a picture the newest D&D mod posted was racist against white people or not, I think? But there may have been other stuff as well, or maybe not? And then Lowtax demodded some of them, and the others resigned?

Notice all the question marks there, because there still seems to be a lot of arguing still going on about what happened. There is apparently some sort of announcement about The Future from Lowtax incoming tomorrow.

Well considering one mod outright just called lowtax an idiot or something in that topic, I don't really blame him for demodding them if that's the kind of attitude they were giving him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

purple death ray posted:

this is all the dumbest poo poo.

What is this? The third time there's been a mod overhaul?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Do admins pick mods? Yo FAU :wink:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Captain Splashback posted:

There's another tale in that thread shared by another poster about a girl who thought she was spiritually married(?) to Sai Baba that I will remember forever.

I wrote that!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

What is this? The third time there's been a mod overhaul?

This is the third time since i regged.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Henriette!!!! :swoon:

Shostakovich YEAH!
Oct 9, 2012
please

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

oldpainless posted:

SA is great to post on but modding means a tremendous amount of responsibility and thus stops being fun.

Let's not kid ourselves - half the wonks on this site would give a kidney to be allowed to moderate. Of the wonks who do become moderators, drat few step down. Of the wonks who are forcibly demodded, a sizeable percentage get fuckin' FURIOUS and flame out. A lot of the ones who've been demodded [angerbeet, Franco, Ralp] still hang around QCS like the Ghosts of Faggots Past, unable to let go of that one time they had a taste of that sweet, sweet Internet clout. FactsAreUseless, our current Ralp-In-Waiting, totally changed all of his opinions the second Lowtax suggested demoddings might happen. Ain't none of those folks hard done by. As depressing as it is, they're living their dreams.

Like, for all the OOOOOHHHHHH THEY DO A HARD JOB IT'S SO THANKLESS I WOULD NEVER BE A MOD patter, it's dudes doing a thing that they'd be doing anyway - sitting on their rear end reading a forum. Hardly arduous. The real reason so many of them go apeshit is because if you give socially isolated weirdos any semblance of power - real or imagined - they immediately get drunk as gently caress and start trying to apply their shiny new hammer to everything that could conceivably be a nail.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Disgusting Coward posted:

Let's not kid ourselves - half the wonks on this site would give a kidney to be allowed to moderate. Of the wonks who do become moderators, drat few step down. Of the wonks who are forcibly demodded, a sizeable percentage get fuckin' FURIOUS and flame out. A lot of the ones who've been demodded [angerbeet, Franco, Ralp] still hang around QCS like the Ghosts of Faggots Past, unable to let go of that one time they had a taste of that sweet, sweet Internet clout. FactsAreUseless, our current Ralp-In-Waiting, totally changed all of his opinions the second Lowtax suggested demoddings might happen. Ain't none of those folks hard done by. As depressing as it is, they're living their dreams.

Like, for all the OOOOOHHHHHH THEY DO A HARD JOB IT'S SO THANKLESS I WOULD NEVER BE A MOD patter, it's dudes doing a thing that they'd be doing anyway - sitting on their rear end reading a forum. Hardly arduous.

Pays well compared to my real job?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

purple death ray posted:

There is no healthy minded human being that would voluntarily moderate these godforsaken forums

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

George H.W. oval office posted:

Muerte. Holy poo poo was that thread good.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480&userid=213540#post444387556

Guy plans a trip across the country and intended to use a children's stroller to carry his stuff. It broke within a couple miles. He was also so unprepared that he was trying to subsist on raisins for a couple of days before giving up. It is a quality read

edit: How it was not goldmined is a shock

One beautiful saga which happened after this is that ANOTHER goon had almost the same idea... Manic episode, ridiculously convluted plan to save the planet walking across the country... barely left his shell... Only this new guy actually seemed pretty cool/way less insufferable than muerte so his~50 mile walk from west canada to a bus station to go back to his parents involved far less drama. Still, the parallel was shocking

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Grandmother of Five posted:

lol yeah, that is one of the all-time fantastically stupid goon projects imo. I think it was originally an Ask/Tell thread and someone pointed out some super basic math about angles and velocity or something and said it'd pretty much be lethal for kids to actually use it, as if you couldn't tell by looking at it, too.

The goon retreat & the desert hiking goons are separate, but similar and equally stupid stories about goons brutally owning themselves.

I love how... and correct me if I'm wrong... the whole "fatal" problem with the zipline could have been fixed by raising the end platforms or lowering the beginning platforms... but this simple change just couldn't materialize

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Disgusting Coward posted:

Like, for all the OOOOOHHHHHH THEY DO A HARD JOB IT'S SO THANKLESS I WOULD NEVER BE A MOD patter, it's dudes doing a thing that they'd be doing anyway - sitting on their rear end reading a forum. Hardly arduous. The real reason so many of them go apeshit is because if you give socially isolated weirdos any semblance of power - real or imagined - they immediately get drunk as gently caress and start trying to apply their shiny new hammer to everything that could conceivably be a nail.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Just so that the probation flag isn't misinterpreted, I gave Disgusting Coward six hours for the word "faggots."

Please continue your discourse :)

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Drunk Nerds posted:

I love how... and correct me if I'm wrong... the whole "fatal" problem with the zipline could have been fixed by raising the end platforms or lowering the beginning platforms... but this simple change just couldn't materialize

Yeah. I don't remember exactly how it went, but I think that one of the people pointing out how stupid the project was, offered up a workable alternative solution.

It is too bad that a bunch of these stories didn't get compiled into single threads and goldmined. Stuff like those stories are imo the best content of SA. There are people who are able to do funny posts and actually follow through on some neat projects, too, but it is the unintentional stupidity of actual goon projects that easily wins out as the most entertaining imo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Drunk Nerds posted:

the guy overshot a calculated reasonable delta-h by 19 times. I.e. in order to make it safe he would have to reduce the vertical separation between the platforms to 1/19 of what he built. That's not "a simple change," that's just starting over and rebuilding the whole thing.

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS

I read all of that in a night it was so good!

Thanks for the entertainment :munch:

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Wait was he eating printer ink?

What the gently caress does that even do???

A small printed picture on a paper blotter containing drugs. Not, like, using printer ink as drugs

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Grandmother of Five posted:

Yeah. I don't remember exactly how it went, but I think that one of the people pointing out how stupid the project was, offered up a workable alternative solution.

It is too bad that a bunch of these stories didn't get compiled into single threads and goldmined. Stuff like those stories are imo the best content of SA. There are people who are able to do funny posts and actually follow through on some neat projects, too, but it is the unintentional stupidity of actual goon projects that easily wins out as the most entertaining imo.

Is grover house the king of failed goon projects? I had my best laugh in years when I found that thread.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Does anyone have the F-35 Grover-ized image?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

got any sevens posted:

Is grover house the king of failed goon projects? I had my best laugh in years when I found that thread.

In terms of projected scale I'd say it was the failed Goon Island Society.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

timefly posted:

A small printed picture on a paper blotter containing drugs. Not, like, using printer ink as drugs
To be specific, he bought some blotter paper so he could dissolve mysterious soviet research chemicals onto it, then swallow it to enter a days-long hallucinatory fugue, but was kinda worried that the ink on the blotter paper might be bad for his health.

Jedit posted:

When I was just a little goon I asked the mod team, "What should I try? Should I rent hookers? Should I do blow?" This was their wise reply: Que sera sera, whatever will be will be. Just don't post in TCC. Que sera sera.

e: oh also he made it too strong and overdosed

Syd Midnight has a new favorite as of 06:35 on Jan 20, 2017

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

timefly posted:

Are you sure printer ink doesn't get you high? Asking for a friend.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

sweeperbravo posted:

Henriette!!!! :swoon:

Captain Splashback posted:

I read all of that in a night it was so good!

Thanks for the entertainment :munch:

thanks! I'm happy you all enjoyed it just as i enjoyed writing it :D

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

bitcoin bastard posted:

Are you sure printer ink doesn't get you high? Asking for a friend.

Perhaps if you squirted it into your eye?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Just so that the probation flag isn't misinterpreted, I gave Disgusting Coward six hours for the word "faggots."

Please continue your discourse :)

I am so glad you weren't one of the mods to have flown the coop.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Kerbtree posted:

Perhaps if you squirted it into your eye?

Yep, just eyeball a dose.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Screaming Idiot posted:

I am so glad you weren't one of the mods to have flown the coop.

that is a great AV where did you get that

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Turtlicious posted:

The internet makes you stupid.

Lowtax had the sight back then. Too bad too much internet exposure resulted in it being a prophecy

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

the guy overshot a calculated reasonable delta-h by 19 times. I.e. in order to make it safe he would have to reduce the vertical separation between the platforms to 1/19 of what he built. That's not "a simple change," that's just starting over and rebuilding the whole thing.

I'm sure I'm just dunning Krueger about how easy this is, but why couldn't he just install some lower platforms in the already built starting tower?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

just raise the ending tower duh

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Drunk Nerds posted:

I'm sure I'm just dunning Krueger about how easy this is, but why couldn't he just install some lower platforms in the already built starting tower?

The starting platform was on a large hillside, and the receiving platform was at the bottom of the hill. The height difference was well over 100 feet. Death is certain.

Powaqoatse posted:

just raise the ending tower duh

Yeah and put in like a 90+-foot fireman's pole for the children to get to the ground for added fun factor, and at the bottom of the pole is a welcoming pile of pointy branches and brambles, seems like an obvious solution to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

The starting platform was on a large hillside, and the receiving platform was at the bottom of the hill. The height difference was well over 100 feet. Death is certain.

Yeah and put in like a 90+-foot fireman's pole for the children to get to the ground for added fun factor, and at the bottom of the pole is a welcoming pile of pointy branches and brambles, seems like an obvious solution to me

Weren't there cable stops like two or three feet in over the platform at the bottom as well? So you have the added effect of the children screaming in at 60 mph getting flung all rag doll from the sudden stop to be impaled on said branches.