Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

RatHat posted:

You kinda have to be an rear end in a top hat to make a roguelike.

i've played a lot of actual roguelikes and i'm pretty sure most of them have more sense than the dumb poo poo in binding of isaac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is there a post-it note change when you beat Delirium? I can't see one but I might just be blind or something.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is there a post-it note change when you beat Delirium? I can't see one but I might just be blind or something.

The post-it gets a little blood on it

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The entire post it gets torn up on normal, bloodied on hard.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Skunkrocker posted:

The entire post it gets torn up on normal, bloodied on hard.
Yeah, I just did it with Isaac and that one got bloody, but Apollyon's didn't but I got the unlock for him?

Eh, whatever. Achievement unlocked, I can cheat engine it if I have to or play as him again.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Anyone got any tips to get Antibirth to run? Per reddit I did a clean install of Rebirth, and still no luck. I am running windows 10.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Johnny Joestar posted:

i've played a lot of actual roguelikes and i'm pretty sure most of them have more sense than the dumb poo poo in binding of isaac

Yeah, most of them have a bit more "hands-on" with the programming and rule checks to make sure the RNG doesn't completely gently caress over the player at every turn. Isaac feels very loosely designed in that aspect, where they just created a bunch of small parts and let an algorithm put them all together however it wants without any regard.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

On the other hand there are also roguelikes that are a lot more actively hostile towards the player than Isaac is.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

senrath posted:

On the other hand there are also roguelikes that are a lot more actively hostile towards the player than Isaac is.

those roguelikes typically don't pretend to be anything but hostile towards the player on the surface

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, when fighting Hush, you have a 1 in 4 chance of fighting the actual Blue Baby instead. You still get unlocks, so this doesn't screw you out of anything.

Also apparently Devil Deal statues have a 1 in 3 chance to be an Angel statue instead.

This is a bug, right? I already knocked out Hush/Delirium with Apollyon and it's kinda bullshit that that gets randomly handed out for free sometimes.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So uh, any plans to make achievements not disabled by mods so anything like Antibirth is even possible?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I finally beat Ultra Hard yesterday. I got insanely lucky but also avoided too many deals with the devil, and pills after the mom fight. I had Satanic Bible, Brimstone, Tech X, Mom's knife, Holy Mantle, and completed Guppy just outside Mega Satan's room (also I had a bunch of other stuff that I don't remember). Not too many damage-ups but almost full health of black hearts when I reached Mega Satan and beat him taking no hits...

So all challenges are done, and hopefully I'll never have to go through anything like that retarded Ultra Hard challenge again.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Anyone got any tips to get Antibirth to run? Per reddit I did a clean install of Rebirth, and still no luck. I am running windows 10.

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

I had a problem starting it as well. Someone suggested copying the resources folder, from the rebirth directory, into the antibirth directory, and then it worked for me.
^^^ maybe that'll help?

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 20, 2017

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
i just remember Richard hammer snapping ultra hard in half over his knee in his first try at it

also it's not just curse of the lost/maze - the entire floor rearranges itself randomly, including adding new doors to rooms and poo poo

he had to walk between two specific rooms a billion times while trying to break the run (which he did) so this became real obvious real fast

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Zo posted:

i just remember Richard hammer snapping ultra hard in half over his knee in his first try at it

also it's not just curse of the lost/maze - the entire floor rearranges itself randomly, including adding new doors to rooms and poo poo

he had to walk between two specific rooms a billion times while trying to break the run (which he did) so this became real obvious real fast
I think that's proper Curse of the Maze, though. It does not only teleport you to a random door, it can switch rooms layouts on the floor (the special rooms always stay in the same spot). It may also teleport items that you dropped somewhere else, but this might be the same thing with the room switch.

There are some rules to that... eg when you are getting teleported to another door, it must be to a similarly positioned door in the target room (eg if you entered the door on the bottom of room A, you must come out the a door on top of room B). And it typically seems to choose rooms from nearby, it won't teleport you to the other side of the floor).

So you can use that to avoid spending keys on opening shops or item rooms, or if you have no keys. You can also get into secret rooms especially if you know where they are and try to cheese it like that, but I think the chance is lower for that.

Also the rooms that switch layout seemingly are one for one. Meaning the rooms that switch can switch back (the switch happens in pairs) and a large room can't exchange itself with a smaller or differently shaped room,. So if a room with a layout is gone from where you remember it, you can exit and re-enter a few times and it'll come back.

You can get other curses in addition to lost and maze, like darkness or labyrinth.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jan 20, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

AbstractNapper posted:

I finally beat Ultra Hard yesterday. I got insanely lucky but also avoided too many deals with the devil, and pills after the mom fight. I had Satanic Bible, Brimstone, Tech X, Mom's knife, Holy Mantle, and completed Guppy just outside Mega Satan's room (also I had a bunch of other stuff that I don't remember). Not too many damage-ups but almost full health of black hearts when I reached Mega Satan and beat him taking no hits...

I made it to Mega Satan just now, but I only had one heart going into the fight. :( I had Tech X and Book of Revelations, and my only damage boosts were from Meat and Succubus. I was two parts Guppy and two parts Bookworm.

If this challenge can be done without Tech X I'll be amazed. Now that I know it's in the item pool for sure, I'll only be rerolling and starting with it. But gently caress, I need some damage to go with it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Isaac has very little randomness within the room generation, almost everything you play has been specifically designed and tested. Regular roguelikes are far more likely to screw you over by eg randomly placing two powerful enemies near the stairs.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
RE: Room Generation - One of the coolest items in Antibirth is the Red Key, which is a three-charge item that, when used in a room with a blank wall, will generate a Red Room. Red Rooms are permanent additions to the floor with a unique aesthetic, and they can be almost anything; regular room (appropriate to the floor you're on), item room, shop, library, curse room, even Devil or Angel Rooms. The new rooms are permanent, and the cool thing is that you can create a Red Room from inside a Red Room. If you can find a reliable way to generate charges, you can basically expand the floor to the game's actual room limit and get all sorts of goodies. It really makes me wonder how the game handles room generation-- how many rooms on a floor are predetermined when you get there and how many are rolled upon entering, for example.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
In most roguelikes you gain either stats or perks as part of a linear progression to stay competitive with the challenges thrown at you; in BoI there is no such progression. Items can range from actively worthless for your character to massively game-breaking and everything in between, and yet you are not even guaranteed access to items in every circumstance. When DCSS throws naga bardings at your octopode you at least have skills and other resources to fall back on.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I can't believe there's an achievement for winning five daily challenges in a row and one for playing thirty-one dailies in a row. The worst part is they don't even work right now because you can't trigger achievement flags in daily challenges, so since you need to complete dailies to get this achievement, you figure out the problem there.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ahahaha...

quote:

Undocumented Changes

The version number and build timestamp appear on the title screen. This might be a bug, as they may have accidentally pushed a developer-only version of the game to everyone.

In addition, the Blue Baby fight on Hush was indeed a bug and has now been fixed. Hope you got those easier kills in while you could, everyone!

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

ChibiSoma posted:

Ahahaha...

In addition, the Blue Baby fight on Hush was indeed a bug and has now been fixed. Hope you got those easier kills in while you could, everyone!

I beat Hush as the Lost on a mediocre run, the actual Hush, and then decided to simply go to the Chest and take the win there instead of dying instantly to Delirium. maybe one day.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

ChibiSoma posted:

Ahahaha...

Years to fix, days to nerf.

Thankfully there's a lot of ways to make killing Hush easier now versus how it was in just regular Afterbirth.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

ChibiSoma posted:

Ahahaha...

As if Hush is some impossible challenge. If you have enough items to actually get to Hush in 30 minutes (not including having lovely items but using floor skips) and you have enough hearts, you can probably beat Hush if you don't completely suck at bullet hell.

Speaking of sucking, I hosed up a completely OP ??? run (Dark Bum as first treasure, Mom's Knife and Brimstone as first two devil deals) by just playing awfully in the Womb. At least I beat Boss Rush.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Sinus Infection + Ludovico is interesting. The big tear will stick to a monster for about 10 seconds, applying both Ludo and booger tick damage for rapid burndown. It's good for evasive little fucksticks like the blue champion Gurdy Jr. The only problem is if it gets stuck to something it can't hurt, like Stone Fatties or Masks.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

As if Hush is some impossible challenge. If you have enough items to actually get to Hush in 30 minutes (not including having lovely items but using floor skips) and you have enough hearts, you can probably beat Hush if you don't completely suck at bullet hell.

Speaking of sucking, I hosed up a completely OP ??? run (Dark Bum as first treasure, Mom's Knife and Brimstone as first two devil deals) by just playing awfully in the Womb. At least I beat Boss Rush.

I died on a Godhead-Eden start because I accidentally spawned a blood machine in the middle of a 1 sq thick bridge and because I had no bombs, I killed myself trying to get past it.

Looks like you can run the Void endlessly with Undefined, if you want to fight Delirium and all the other bosses a ton of times for items.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

I'm pretty sure I have the worst luck with ???. I could have the most op run and completely gently caress it up everytime.

So who's everyone's least favourite boss? Not counting mega Satan Hush or delirium.

I think multiple adversary is one of my least favourite. That's what fucks my runs every single time unless I can one shot them.

4 sister vis sucks also. I had one set that was super easy. They hopped in a very specific pattern. The next time I fought them they were spewing beams randomly and bullets everywhere and spawning those chained dudes and it was just madness.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

the popular kids posted:

I'm pretty sure I have the worst luck with ???. I could have the most op run and completely gently caress it up everytime.

So who's everyone's least favourite boss? Not counting mega Satan Hush or delirium.

I think multiple adversary is one of my least favourite. That's what fucks my runs every single time unless I can one shot them.

4 sister vis sucks also. I had one set that was super easy. They hopped in a very specific pattern. The next time I fought them they were spewing beams randomly and bullets everywhere and spawning those chained dudes and it was just madness.

Occasionally a Sister Vis's AI will break and it'll just sit there no matter how much you plink away at it. That's nice.

Also they just fixed the "The Marathon" achievement, which I would assume fixes the Dedication one also but that's a 50/50 shot. Today's daily is very easy. Quad Shot, Brimstone, and then 20/20. My damage stat sucked, but I was shooting like eight Brimstone lasers out of my face so it didn't matter.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Big Horn is the worst because he has like twice as much health as he needs and is a slog unless you have bombs to chuck in his mouth.

Honorable mention to Basement Mega Fatty in Greed/Greedier though. gently caress that guy.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

BJPaskoff posted:

I can't believe there's an achievement for winning five daily challenges in a row and one for playing thirty-one dailies in a row. The worst part is they don't even work right now because you can't trigger achievement flags in daily challenges, so since you need to complete dailies to get this achievement, you figure out the problem there.

By "completing" dailies you just need the score screen right? So if you don't want to play the daily you can just go in and die immediately?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

By "completing" dailies you just need the score screen right? So if you don't want to play the daily you can just go in and die immediately?

That's the theory for the Dedication achievement, yeah. No one knows because the game hasn't been out for 31 days yet.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Also the achievement is broken anyway.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Guys I think the person in first place with 644 million score might be cheating.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Jibo posted:

Big Horn is the worst because he has like twice as much health as he needs and is a slog unless you have bombs to chuck in his mouth.

Honorable mention to Basement Mega Fatty in Greed/Greedier though. gently caress that guy.

Not to mention Basement Rag Man.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Right now my most hated boss is Rag Mega. Combining the worst traits of Duke of Flies, the Stain, and Rag Man. Indestructible shield orbitals that turn into indestructible seeker projectiles? Unpredictable, extended invulnerability period? Hope you've either got piercing shots or enough health to outlast him.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

IMJack posted:

Right now my most hated boss is Rag Mega. Combining the worst traits of Duke of Flies, the Stain, and Rag Man. Indestructible shield orbitals that turn into indestructible seeker projectiles? Unpredictable, extended invulnerability period? Hope you've either got piercing shots or enough health to outlast him.

He's annoying but I find him a lot less annoying than normal Rag Man. It's Big Hole I really hate because he has Hush/Greed armor.

Seriously, I dropped a High-Priestess card on him, expecting it to eat a good chunk of his health bar. Nope, Mom's Foot only took off maybe 1/10th of it off.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Rag Mega has an absolutely paltry amount of health to make up for his invulnerability periods, lower than most first floor bosses. I'm pretty sure two bombs will kill him outright.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, at least Rag Mega has the decency of having Pin-level health. Sometimes his poo poo is nigh-impossible to avoid because everything is massive, but he dies fast enough that I can take it.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Dias posted:

Yeah, at least Rag Mega has the decency of having Pin-level health.

Less than that, actually. I just checked. Pin has 180 hp, while Rag Mega only has 110. :gibs:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I honestly don't understand the appeal of wanting boss fights to take so much time, like you have to get from the start to killing Mom's Heart in under 30 mins just to be able to fight Hush. So in some sense the game is designed around going fast, getting through levels quickly. Then you get to Hush and he takes about 15 minutes to kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
By the way I can confirm the Butter bean transforming thing. It took 6-7 tries for me so it's probably random.