Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Let's see what your HDMI will get you here on PVM Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Martytoof posted:

Compared to NES or GBA there is almost no information. I'm not saying there isn't any, and I have some okay progress to show (I mean, not really okay but you know what I mean), but other than one forum there's not much of a support base.

The assembler itself isn't really difficult but taking the step from HELLO WORLD to pong or whatever seems to be a little more homework than I have time for most days.

My favorite part of failing to learn 2600 programming was finding out that programs spends about half (IIRC) of their entire cycle time drawing and syncing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

My favorite part of failing to learn 2600 programming was finding out that programs spends about half (IIRC) of their entire cycle time drawing and syncing.

That sounds about right given the specs of the 2600.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

d0s posted:

I would rather have the cable regardless as HDMI limits you to wack displays (anything that isnt a CRT)

CRT stands for Cathode Ray Terrible

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Improbable Lobster posted:

you shut your whore mouth

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kramdar posted:

I have three PVMs, actually! But that doesn't mean I can't be forward thinking, rather than clinging to my lightguns and Nintendo Powers forever!

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

RichterIX posted:

Does the PS1 version of Lunar EB have the bullshit difficulty or did they tone it down for that one? I guess that questions stands for SSSC too.

The PlayStation remakes of both Lunars are a lot easier than the Sega CD games. The PlayStation Lunar 2 loses the "spend magic points to save" feature that Working Designs added to the Sega CD version.

There's a little give and take between the PlayStation and Sega CD editions. The PlayStation games have more balanced gameplay (in the US, anyway), more content, and better translations. Best of all, they lack the originals' annoying random battles. However, they also drop some dungeons, bosses, and one entire Lunar 2 subquest. A lot of the cutscenes in the PlayStation Lunar 2 look cheap and grainy, too. I blame Studio Gonzo for that.

Kid Fenris fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 20, 2017

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

d0s posted:

I would rather have the cable regardless as HDMI limits you to wack displays (anything that isnt a CRT)

I mean, if you have a 480p CRT and don't mind some input lag...

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Kramdar posted:

I think he meant multiple GameCubes. I don't think he was suggesting other generations of systems. Mod one GameCube, feed a goon. Buy one component cable, feed a games thread.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I actually own a set of GC component cables and I've been through multiple GameCubes.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Just wanted to drop in to say that Incredible Hulk for the SNES is garbage. My main beef is that it does not feel like you're controlling the Hulk. Why do the piddle and crap enemies take three or more hits to kill? Am I not the Hulk? if I punch you, do you not die? If I land on you, are you not squished? If I headbutt you, are you not smashed? There's a laundry list of things wrong with this game but that's what really kills it for me. Distant second is the lifeless soundtrack, which sounds like it would accompany a sales video on the latest in vinyl siding technology.

Guess I can't complain too much. Got this in a lot of about 50 beat-up SNES games for about $1/ea and there must be something playable in here.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

LCD stands for Loves Chugging Dicks

e: actually it stands for Lag Creating Display

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Real retro gamers play their games on home made mechanical TVs

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

fishmech posted:

Real retro gamers play their games on home made mechanical TVs

The inside of every Trinitron.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I can't think of a single Marvel game from the 8/16-bit console era that was a good game and not just good for people who like the IP (or just plain bad, in many cases) but maybe I'm forgetting something obvious.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The two Genesis Xmen games are ok.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I can't think of a single [licensed game] from the [entire history of video games] that was a good game and not just good for people who like the IP (or just plain bad, in many cases) but maybe I'm forgetting something obvious.

except for the genesis ghostbusters game

e: and that sailor moon beatemup

e: and gundam: federation vs zeon

d0s fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 20, 2017

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Simpsons arcade.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I can't think of a single Marvel game from the 8/16-bit console era that was a good game and not just good for people who like the IP (or just plain bad, in many cases) but maybe I'm forgetting something obvious.

Silv- No, that isn't one. There was Infin... wait, that's a terrible game, too. Oh, how about the Hu- crap, that was poo poo.

I think the best you get is the Spider-Man beat-'em-ups, though I don't care for them much myself. They were competently made, though, and featured plenty of stuff for comics fans of the day. I don't think the Wolverine NES game is half bad, but it's not half good either. Same thing for the Punisher NES game. The really good Punisher beat-'em-up did get a port to the Genesis that is now super-duper expensive.

I would say you could extend that into the PS1/Saturn/N64 generation, but at least there Capcom has finally stepped in.

You reminded me of a hilariously awful and super obscure Marvel licensed game from a bit later on that was released on the PC. And a quick check tells me it was released as freeware. I know what I'm playing tomorrow night!

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 20, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

d0s posted:

except for the genesis ghostbusters game

Sunsoft's first Batman NES game is rad, Bucky O'Hare NES is neat but I don't know poo poo about the cartoon, the TMNT and Gundam SNES fighting games are pretty good, both the SNES and MD Shadowrun games are interesting, the Macross shmup for SNES is fun, ALF for Sega Master System is a masterpiece, etc.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Modus Pwnens posted:

Simpsons arcade.

Every Konami licensed title and most Capcom licensed titles I can think of. See Wild West Cowboys of M.O.O. Mesa for an instance where the game is probably the only thing about the property worth remembering. It's the Sunset Riders sequel you always wanted and didn't know already existed.

The aforementioned Spot: The Video Game, though that was just slapping a 7-Up license on a good puzzle game that existed in other forms.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

I'd say Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People, because it's just a really fun and clever adventure game, and not so in-jokey as to render itself incomprehensible to people unfamiliar with the source material. No more incomprehensible than Homestar Runner already is, anyway. It's Telltale Games' best from before they came up with the Walking Dead formula and decided to never again deviate from it.

A lot of the WWE wrestling games over the years, for featuring the most complex and versatile character creation suite available anywhere. They're legitimately great games if you treat them like The Sims, and I wasn't interested in professional wrestling before I started playing them. Get WWE 2014 for PS3 or 360 as that's the last one before they started cutting features again, and the last one to support custom music.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 20, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

You dishonour your cyberpunk avatar and should turn it in immediately :colbert:.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

The aforementioned Spot: The Video Game, though that was just slapping a 7-Up license on a good puzzle game that existed in other forms.

I always liked the SNES platformer. Not a AAA title by any means but it was the kind of thing you'd rent for a weekend and would feel like you got your :fivebux: worth.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nate RFB posted:

I've heard Brave New World FFVI is pretty solid, and I've always wanted to try that one Castlevania 2 hack (Redacted?) that cleans up the translation, makes it so that the towns people say actual hints rather than BS, and make the text crawl and day/night transitions almost instant.

I keep forgetting about BNW, so thanks for reminding me. I'll check out that CV2 hack as well. For now I'm playing a LttP hack called PuzzleDude's Quest.

Edit: Nevermind looks like PuzzleDude's Quest doesn't work without an emulator that's a million years old and dead. Moving on to Goddess of Wisdom!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 20, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Didn't care about Brave New World once I saw someone stream it and the whole section after Ultima Weapon has Celes having a really melodramatic fight with the miniboss you fight on the way off the island.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

d0s posted:

Similar to the Ranma conversation from a little while ago, I always get mixed up on the Sailor Moon games. Is the SNES beatemup the good one? I remember there being one on MD too.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

RichterIX posted:

Similar to the Ranma conversation from a little while ago, I always get mixed up on the Sailor Moon games. Is the SNES beatemup the good one? I remember there being one on MD too.

In all honesty none of them are BAD, just underwhelming. The Arcade one is kinda slapdash, for instance, and I'd avoid the... Master System? I think it is? one. The brawlers are better than the fighting games.

Avoid the RPG. It's not good. The puzzle games are fun to dick around with if you want a vs. title.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Rirse posted:

Didn't care about Brave New World once I saw someone stream it and the whole section after Ultima Weapon has Celes having a really melodramatic fight with the miniboss you fight on the way off the island.

I don't think that's in the latest version? My only complaint is the inexplicable swearing. Not sure if the "clean" version is any better, but the mod overall breathes new life into the game.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

RichterIX posted:

The arcade one developed by gazelle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EizPltEFypw

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Area 88/UN Squadron is real good.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Kramdar posted:

You could get an HDMI to YPbPr.

Or be a man and convert that HDMI to SDI and plug that into your CRT BVM. You hate money right?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMiMz1uGCXI

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Area 88/UN Squadron is real good.

oh yeahh totally forgot that was licensed, the sequel carrier air wing/us navy is great too

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Elliotw2 posted:

The two Genesis Xmen games are ok.

Yeah except the part where you had to reset your Genesis to get past a certain part and years of console gaming had hard coded "NEVER loving RESET YOUR CONSOLE" into my brain.

I actually kind of liked the SNES X-Men game, can't remember exactly what it was called, where it was a side scroller but instead of limited "mutant" resources like in the Genesis games you had to do Street Fighter button combinations to do your attacks.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Medullah posted:

Yeah except the part where you had to reset your Genesis to get past a certain part and years of console gaming had hard coded "NEVER loving RESET YOUR CONSOLE" into my brain.

I thought this was super clever until I tried to get past that stage on my Nomad (which lacks a reset button, whoops).

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It's one of the four games that's unplayable on the poor Nomad.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Looking into that Lunar/Popful Mail improvement patch (none of my dumps of Popful Mail work with the patch, alas) got me combing through the Romhacking site again, and I came across a bunch listed as "Improvement" that change the mapper of old NES games. I don't know anything about mappers, hardware, or anything like that, but I am interested in playing improved versions of old games - what is the utility of these hacks, and should I bother?

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Elliotw2 posted:

It's one of the four games that's unplayable on the poor Nomad.

Looked up the list (just kinda pulled from the first forum post I found, so don't take this as gospel):

Air Diver, Aliens 3, Clue, Decapattack, Double Bragon 2, John Madden Football 1, Jordan vs. Bird, Pit-Fighter, Slime World, Stormlord, Trouble Shooter

Of these, Decapattack and Trouble Shooter would really annoy me since both games are pretty excellent.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Looked up the list (just kinda pulled from the first forum post I found, so don't take this as gospel):

Air Diver, Aliens 3, Clue, Decapattack, Double Bragon 2, John Madden Football 1, Jordan vs. Bird, Pit-Fighter, Slime World, Stormlord, Trouble Shooter

Of these, Decapattack and Trouble Shooter would really annoy me since both games are pretty excellent.

Most of those actually work if you hold the mode button while loading the game, but Decap attack and Forgotten Worlds straight up never work on the Nomad, and Forgotten Worlds won't work on a normal Genesis unless you use a 3 button controller.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Mak0rz posted:

http://www.i-mockery.com/search-results.php?cx=014535092109957586225%3Ax3k4bfcumts&cof=FORID%3A9&q=wilford+brimley&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&sa=Search

The video game chat thread was only so helpful, so maybe you guys can give me a hand. I'm looking for some good rear end ROM hacks. I don't want anything too hard, I just want a new experience with vanilla difficulties. Any popular game would do really but I would prefer hacks of the SNES, GBA or NES top hits (just not Super Metroid, I have days of hack backlogs for that one).

I gave Parallel Worlds (Zelda: A Link to the Past) a try and it was stupid and awful so clearly reviews on romhacking.net isn't going to be very helpful for me in finding the good ones.

I have a few recommendations!

Metroid - Rogue Dawn
Just came out about a week ago, and it's the most extensive hack of the original Metroid ever produced. New graphics, entirely new music (which is actually really good), a save feature, much larger world to explore, etc. It can get kind of NES Hard as you get further along, though, so it might not be for you (counterpoint: suck it up). I'm playing through it now, it's great.

Castlevania II Re-translation
I think this is the hack that Nate RFB was talking about. All new translation with about a half dozen patch options to customize your experience.

Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past DX
It's still A Link to the Past, just now with some bug fixes and new bells and whistles attached, especially if you take advantage of MSU1 and get the CD-quality soundtrack

Hallow's End
It's a hack of Earthbound with an all-new original story. If you want more Earthbound, this might do the trick.

Edit:

Pastry of the Year posted:

Looking into that Lunar/Popful Mail improvement patch (none of my dumps of Popful Mail work with the patch, alas) got me combing through the Romhacking site again, and I came across a bunch listed as "Improvement" that change the mapper of old NES games. I don't know anything about mappers, hardware, or anything like that, but I am interested in playing improved versions of old games - what is the utility of these hacks, and should I bother?

Mappers are basically custom chips that came in the original game cartridge, as opposed to hardware on the console itself. A lot of mapper hacks are done just for repro cart purposes -- using more common/cheaper mappers to cut down on cost. More extensive rom hacks might change the mapper to take advantage of new capabilities that were not available in the original game (the above mentioned Metroid Rogue Dawn does this). If it's just a mapper change and nothing else, it's probably not worth your time.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

d0s posted:

oh yeahh totally forgot that was licensed, the sequel carrier air wing/us navy is great too

For some reason I always thought Carrier Air Wing came first, then UN Squadron. Huh!

Regardless, all great games. SNES UN Squadron is so much fun and that soundtrack

• Locked thread