Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Cranston seems like a legit cool guy based on the interviews of him I've listened to. Probably the most down to Earth guy in Hollywood.
His old website was fantastic
https://web.archive.org/web/20101120100946/http://bryancranston.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Sinners Sandwich posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kIe6UZHSXw

Power Rangers trailer

I THINK THIS LOOKS REALLY COOL AND I LIKE IT although i could continue to nitpick things.

the tone still seem a bit dark for what the show was, i wish they went with the way the baywatch movie went and go all camp but i don't mind it. i am waiting for the angry nerds who are upset the black ranger is not black.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Some of Cranston's first work was as a voice actor for a monster in Power Rangers; Billy's last name is Cranston in his honor.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Some of Cranston's first work was as a voice actor for a monster in Power Rangers; Billy's last name is Cranston in his honor.

He's a friend of Haim Saban, so you know Cranston had been doing voiceover work for awhile.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While the movie is still (so far) going to come out in theaters next week the studio has canceled the premier/promotional junket for A Dog's Purpose.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I had to skip over the last few pages....are the manchildren done discussing anime yet?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Is Power Rangers anime?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I had to skip over the last few pages....are the manchildren done discussing anime yet?

Never.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The MSJ posted:

Is Power Rangers anime?

It is tokusatsu

you UNCULTURED SWINE

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

While the movie is still (so far) going to come out in theaters next week the studio has canceled the premier/promotional junket for A Dog's Purpose.

It's in the January dumping ground, so the studio was already looking to write this one off. But man, the leaked video was probably the absolute worst PR for a movie targeted towards sentimental dog lovers. Has there ever been a movie actually hurt this badly by controversy? Usually it seems like "boycotts" are fringe groups that wouldn't have seen it anyway.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I haven't heard anything about a controversy about that movie yet, but let me guess--animals were harmed during the making of this film? Has anyone made the following joke yet: A Dog's Purpose is to Suffer for Our Profits.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I wasn't gonna see that movie anyway because I know it would make me sad, but now I have a better excuse instead of just being a big baby about dogs in movies!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

dirksteadfast posted:

It's in the January dumping ground, so the studio was already looking to write this one off. But man, the leaked video was probably the absolute worst PR for a movie targeted towards sentimental dog lovers. Has there ever been a movie actually hurt this badly by controversy? Usually it seems like "boycotts" are fringe groups that wouldn't have seen it anyway.

how big was the birth of a nation controversy re: the main actor? i don't remember how much fallout that ended up getting outside of internet nerd spheres

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rough Lobster posted:

I haven't heard anything about a controversy about that movie yet, but let me guess--animals were harmed during the making of this film? Has anyone made the following joke yet: A Dog's Purpose is to Suffer for Our Profits.

Close

http://jezebel.com/a-dogs-purpose-suffering-for-your-entertainment-1791346573

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

dirksteadfast posted:

Terminator Salvation? Tom Cruise coming down against psychiatry right around Mission Impossible 3? Mel Gibson's ten lost years?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I think Powder got some controversy, but that might have been a couple of weeks into its release.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Birth of a Nation had a bunch of hype coming out of the festival circuit last year until people found out the director was probably a rapist.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Brother Entropy posted:

how big was the birth of a nation controversy re: the main actor? i don't remember how much fallout that ended up getting outside of internet nerd spheres

I mean, it pretty much bombed, but God only knows how much of that was due to the lead actor.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, it pretty much bombed, but God only knows how much of that was due to the lead actor.

I think people are forgetting how hyped that movie was coming out of Sundance. It was right during the #OscarsSoWhite stuff and everyone was looking for a big black movie to get some awards and Birth of a Nation fit the bill, to the point where it sold for more money than any other movie out of Sundance, ever. I think it would have been in the awards pictures if not for its rapist actor/director/writer.

My secret (completely not true) theory is that Mel Gibson, who advised the BoaN director during the filming of the movie, set him up for a big fall so that when Hacksaw Ridge came out everyone would think "well, Mel's really terrible but at least he's not a full on rapist" and they'd let him back into the Oscars.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DC Murderverse posted:

My secret (completely not true) theory is that Mel Gibson, who advised the BoaN director during the filming of the movie, set him up for a big fall so that when Hacksaw Ridge came out everyone would think "well, Mel's really terrible but at least he's not a full on rapist" and they'd let him back into the Oscars.

... I would completely buy this.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

I think people are forgetting how hyped that movie was coming out of Sundance. It was right during the #OscarsSoWhite stuff and everyone was looking for a big black movie to get some awards and Birth of a Nation fit the bill, to the point where it sold for more money than any other movie out of Sundance, ever. I think it would have been in the awards pictures if not for its rapist actor/director/writer.

It didn't help that the reviews were basically "Well, it's good." Obviously it's possible the controversy clouded things but few people were going to bat for it as a top movie of the year.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I want a modern remake of Inframan. Hell, make it a sequel since the original is supposed to take place in the far off future year of 2015.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Birth of a Nation got extra juice because the guy then threw out all the emergency PR training they tried to give him and let his ego take control, which just made the controversy worse. It was crazy hyped when it first showed up and suddenly everyone backed off. I'm guessing it knocked a third off the box office total, maybe more, i know it lost my ticket and I was excited for that one.

Someone who is bored could probably write a good article comparing initial reactions to later reactions, some of the reviews I read seemed like they were looking too hard for technical flaws to justify their dislike outside of the controversy.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

ruddiger posted:

I want a modern remake of Inframan. Hell, make it a sequel since the original is supposed to take place in the far off future year of 2015.

Inframan all day every day

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tars Tarkas posted:

Birth of a Nation got extra juice because the guy then threw out all the emergency PR training they tried to give him and let his ego take control, which just made the controversy worse. It was crazy hyped when it first showed up and suddenly everyone backed off. I'm guessing it knocked a third off the box office total, maybe more, i know it lost my ticket and I was excited for that one.

Someone who is bored could probably write a good article comparing initial reactions to later reactions, some of the reviews I read seemed like they were looking too hard for technical flaws to justify their dislike outside of the controversy.

I've heard it's not actually that good of a movie at the end of the day.

I know a lot of the hot festival films I am watching lately are overhyped, that's for sure.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Its Sundance release was opportune, coming right after the #OscarsSoWhite campaign. I think that influenced the critical reception, which was largely positive at the festival.

I don't think it makes those reviews "wrong" though. In a slightly different world we might still be talking about Birth of a Nation in glowing terms. Can't separate art from context.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, a lot of the reviews I read when it played at Sundance were "it's an important story and not too bad for a first-time director" with most of the emphasis on the first part. So I don't think, if you take away a lot of goodwill for the film, calling out technical details is strictly justification.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

dirksteadfast posted:

It's in the January dumping ground, so the studio was already looking to write this one off. But man, the leaked video was probably the absolute worst PR for a movie targeted towards sentimental dog lovers.

I know that a dog club here in Australia was organising a big fundraising event around the film but have cancelled the entire thing. All the dog lovers I know are livid.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Let me get this straight though. No dog was actually harmed. There was a humane society rep on set and observing who apparently voiced no objections. People are mad because a dog looks scared? When dogs have emotions that are completely different than humans and don't show them in the same way as even other dogs.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I hope the screenwriter for Collateral Beauty watched Split this month and got schooled on how to add a last minute twist that isn't terrible.

To be fair, maestro Night Shyamalan has the advantage when it comes to things like that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

greatn posted:

Let me get this straight though. No dog was actually harmed. There was a humane society rep on set and observing who apparently voiced no objections. People are mad because a dog looks scared? When dogs have emotions that are completely different than humans and don't show them in the same way as even other dogs.

Did you actually read the article or watch the footage? It was forced into the water and went under almost as soon asnit went in. Dogs don't submerge on purpose. It's very clearly in distress and being forced.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

The on site rep was not doing there job and is in trouble. Something a bit lighter, the director divorced himself from the incident saying he wasn't there on set and did not know about it. He seems like a nice guy that just wanted to make a dog movie, I believe him.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

dont even fink about it posted:

I've heard it's not actually that good of a movie at the end of the day.

I know a lot of the hot festival films I am watching lately are overhyped, that's for sure.

Seems like the films that get bood tend to be better.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm watching the new xx x movie and wow, this is such an aged dude Bro show. The target audience seems to be people nursing either five sexually transmitted diseases or paying support for illegitimate twins after a few full moon parties.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

One of the supporting cast's super powers is causing spontaneous rave parties loving lol

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

One of the supporting cast's super powers is causing spontaneous rave parties loving lol

He is a fun dude, he can't help it. Don't hate!

Just how like the The Hound can't stop crashing his car (he would be the worst member of the team in a Fast & Furious movie).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm watching the new xx x movie and wow, this is such an aged dude Bro show. The target audience seems to be people nursing either five sexually transmitted diseases or paying support for illegitimate twins after a few full moon parties.

Are you not also in the audience...?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

dont even fink about it posted:

The Hamlet 2 effect.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Lobok posted:

Are you not also in the audience...?

Won free tickets from filling up petrol. But good catch!

Well, the show has really, really bad action choreographing. Almost all the supporting actors are wasted (especially Tony jaa😕) . The grenade sequence which looked kinda cool was just as long as depicted in the trailer, the mac guffin is literally the Internet from the IT Crowd, and Vin Diesel gets gang raped by a group of girl hackers because??? . Everything Xander cage says and thinks is cool is really cringe worthy and somehow nobody calls him on his poo poo. Also, the show makes fun of the Jason Bourne dictionary fight with one of the most boring action directing. Why???

My fav sequence is Vin and Donnie Yen motorcycle skiing across the sea because its the only thing that fits the "dumb bit fun" criteria i wanted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Doesn't look like the director has much in his resume that would point to him being a good action movie director. And according to IMDB he is rumoured to be doing the next GI Joe.

• Locked thread