Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

Any resource that you can spend to build something - including power and resistance comm capacity - can turn up as a cache to be scanned on the world map. It certainly seems as though they're made to show up more frequently when you run low on a particular thing

I knew about power sometimes being in a cache, but never knew comm's could be. that's neat, guess i just didn't get lucky with those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Vib Rib posted:

Any time you want to quit the high-horsing hypocritical "sorry other people have different opinions" shtick is fine, really, since you're the one who is incessantly spitting at other people for having the wrong opinion.

Dude is a either straight up troll or has some sort of weird waifu complex vis a vis Long War. I never even said that I thought it was a bad mod. Never should have bothered.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
So, I know this was a bug that happened from one of the patches/Xpacs in Xcom2, but - Is there a way to fix where your character pool doesn't work for scientists/engineers/etc? I know it never worked for Dark VIPs and I am somewhat bemused that that /still/ has not only been fixed, but they broke it even more. I mean it's good it works for soldiers but I would love to be able to use it for all my NPCs.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

MikeC posted:

Dude is a either straight up troll or has some sort of weird waifu complex vis a vis Long War. I never even said that I thought it was a bad mod. Never should have bothered.

e: that was more aggressive than it should of been, but saying a dude has a "waifu complex" doesn't really help any conversation.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 20, 2017

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
No worries we're good.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

Are you sure? I just watched a stream for a few hours and the closest a grenade ever got to blowing up cover was a potted tree (it blew up the tree but not the pot so it was still cover.)

Blowing up trees making them half cover from full was pretty common in vanilla, although I'm sure the LW grenades are more anaemic against trees.

Without any detailed analysis at all, it seems like half cover has a reasonable chance of being destroyed, full cover is unlikely and buildings are almost impossible (without cover destruction perks). Rockets flatten everything reliably though.

I'm not sure if different types of cover have different strength appropriate to its material (like a (like a billboard vs. a boulder). If this is the case I don't know whether to be impressed or infuriated. I vaguely remember something like this being in LW1 though.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

How early in grenadier is the perk that makes your grenades blow up cover more/better?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

How early in grenadier is the perk that makes your grenades blow up cover more/better?

the first rank after becoming a grenadier.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

The Shortest Path posted:

There's one at tier 2 (the first one you get a choice for) and another at/near the bottom that also improves terrain damage. I assume they stack, though I haven't had a chance to really test how effective you are with just one.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the technical's combination rocket flame thrower is loving rad.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Why is it that in the battle summary, sometimes it will display hyphens instead of a number?

Like:

Cover average:
25%

Shots Taken

Most damage:
----

(I can't remember exactly what the categories are)

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
That's usually the "most fired at" category, something you'll have nothing for if your squad is consistently stomping aliens on the same turn they find them.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Finally managed to sit down and play, set it on Veteran (down from Commander) because of the LW dev's penchant for making things harder overall.

Gatecrasher seemed ... really easy? I seriously just overwatched everything down (the graze mechanic is effectively a cross-the-board +10 aim if you just need to finish off a wounded enemy), but even if I hadn't having 8 grenades would have been plenty to just kill everything with the guaranteed damage. If that's what the rest of this is going to be like I can see why they nerfed them, things would be absolutely trivial if you had access to that much hard cover destruction right from the get-go. We'll see where things go from here, hopefully it ramps up a bit or I'll have to restart and bump the difficulty up.

Biggest niggle so far is not seeing all the skill trees. Seriously, you can just assume that people will look that stuff up if they want to know it, so just have it revealed in-game and save everyone the hassle. Does the mod for that work correctly with long war?

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
I just look forward to a mod that rebalanced Long War 2 while keeping its systems intact. Stuff like infiltration, haven management all sound great, but I doubt it's going to be fair for the average player... or me, at least.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This mod needs mods

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Jabor posted:

Finally managed to sit down and play, set it on Veteran (down from Commander) because of the LW dev's penchant for making things harder overall.

Gatecrasher seemed ... really easy? I seriously just overwatched everything down (the graze mechanic is effectively a cross-the-board +10 aim if you just need to finish off a wounded enemy), but even if I hadn't having 8 grenades would have been plenty to just kill everything with the guaranteed damage. If that's what the rest of this is going to be like I can see why they nerfed them, things would be absolutely trivial if you had access to that much hard cover destruction right from the get-go. We'll see where things go from here, hopefully it ramps up a bit or I'll have to restart and bump the difficulty up.

Biggest niggle so far is not seeing all the skill trees. Seriously, you can just assume that people will look that stuff up if they want to know it, so just have it revealed in-game and save everyone the hassle. Does the mod for that work correctly with long war?

you can make the skill trees visible in the option menu.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

ok I must be dumb - I see the ini tweaks i need to change the mission timers (seriously, they are frustratingly short), but whats the name of the file that I need to edit

I got less dumb and found it - XcomLW_Overhaul (located in \SteamLibrary\steamapps\workshop\content\268500\844674609\Config - note that the numbers after \content change based on the workshop mods you've downloaded and will be unique for each user - I found mine by sorting by the date and time I d/led LW The correct folder will include a file called LW_Overhaul.XComMod)

marxismftw fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 20, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Roobanguy posted:

you can make the skill trees visible in the option menu.

Holy poo poo, thanks for that.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
So here's one person to praise LW2: Me. I'm enjoying it! That is all.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Synthbuttrange posted:

This mod needs mods

Maybe, if it does same as Long War 1 and dials all the :xcom: bullshit to 11 in a lazy way, by upgrading every alien to a walking tank with sniper aim.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I had a pretty dicey first mission (Veteran, 4 man squad, 150% infiltration- note to self, a squaddie sharpshooter is not a good idea for VIP rescue) but so far I like it. Hope I'm not loving myself somehow in research/build order.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Does Long War 2 need the DLC to work?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Kiranamos posted:

Does Long War 2 need the DLC to work?

I don't think so. One of the patch notes mentioned that it had Spark changes for people who owned the DLC, which I assume means it still works if you don't have it.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

Long War 2 is pretty awful, good god.

also here's the original timers for each mission type

code:
+InitialTurnCounts=(MissionFamily="Recover_LW", Turns=8)
+InitialTurnCounts=(MissionFamily="Jailbreak_LW", Turns=12)
+InitialTurnCounts=(MissionFamily="Hack_LW", Turns=8)
+InitialTurnCounts=(MissionFamily="DestroyObject_LW", Turns=12)
+InitialTurnCounts=(MissionFamily="Extract_LW", Turns=12)
+InitialTurnCounts=(MissionFamily="Neutralize_LW", Turns=12)
+InitialTurnCounts=(MissionFamily="Rescue_LW", Turns=12)
+InitialTurnCounts=(MissionFamily="SecureUFO_LW", Turns=6)

; Across-the-board extra turns by difficulty level, can be negative
TimerDifficultyMod[0]=4;	Rookie
TimerDifficultyMod[1]=1;	Veteran
TimerDifficultyMod[2]=0;	Commander
TimerDifficultyMod[3]=0;	Legendary

Thanks for this. going to screw around with the timers and maybe turn the difficulty down to veteran as well because theres a lot of really cool stuff in the mod and Im still excited to play it

Also gatecrasher always seems easy because you field 10 soldiers without infiltration. If you try throwing the same 10 soldiers into the first guerilla mission theyll be met on the ground by probably about 25 advent, sectoids and drones :mrwhite:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Pyromancer posted:

Maybe, if it does same as Long War 1 and dials all the :xcom: bullshit to 11 in a lazy way, by upgrading every alien to a walking tank with sniper aim.

this complaint has always annoyed me. the only people who say this never actually played longwar and watched streams like beagle rush who played the game at the hardest difficulty, or tried playing it on the classic difficulty equivalent because they beat the base game and thought the glowing yellow button suggesting people who beat the base game on classic to play normal first didn't apply to them. normal and the difficulty higher than it weren't much harder than the base classic, just longer.

there's plenty of things that are valid complaints in long war, like the grind can get real bad if you don't have the second wave option that lowers length of the game(which wasn't added til the last main update!), the early air game loving sucks and can lose a campaign if you get some lovely rolls, but complaining about bullet sponge sniper enemies on the hardest difficulties made only for crazy people is dumb.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 20, 2017

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Brasseye posted:

Thanks for this. going to screw around with the timers and maybe turn the difficulty down to veteran as well because theres a lot of really cool stuff in the mod and Im still excited to play it

Also gatecrasher always seems easy because you field 10 soldiers without infiltration. If you try throwing the same 10 soldiers into the first guerilla mission theyll be met on the ground by probably about 25 advent, sectoids and drones :mrwhite:

Yeah, something everyone needs to know: Don't ever under-infiltrate unless you're fielding 10 men against an extremely light base force and the overage is still pretty low. The enemy count skyrockets dramatically from the start with that, I was only at guarded status with an hour or two over the max infiltration duration on extremely ligth and I got loving reamed by 4 pods of 4, including Vipers and Stun Lancers earlier than I'd seen them before.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

another thing to note is that most missions require you to extract, so there's not much point in starting fights you don't have to, especially because leveling takes missions done more into consideration now than kills. there's been missions were i get in, get out with maybe 1 pod killed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
alright, i took one loving night off to play total warhammer and forget the world, and a small pack of idiots in here couldn't keep it civil for one loving day.

alright, fine. i asked nice. now you guys get more thread traditions.

:siren: :siren: :siren:

HENCEFORTH: THIS IS A THREAD RULE. YOU KNOW I'M SERIOUS COS I'M USING MY SHIFT KEY AND poo poo

There are many people who really enjoy this Long War thingie. I think that's great. There are many people who find fault with this Long War thingie. I think that is also great. Refining your taste, one way or another, is actually one of the ways I feel gaming helps people become better. There are so many people out there who don't even know what they like and are aimless and boring as a result. It's great to know what you like, and it's great to celebrate that.

What ISN'T great is when you attach feelings of self worth to this taste and get defensive and lovely when someone challenges your taste. This has happened for literal loving years regarding this Long War thingie, to the detriment of everyone else who doesn't suffer from this particular brand of brain malfunction. There are other people trying to celebrate their taste with others, you selfish pricks, and I'm sick and tired of your nonsense.

However, I'm absolutely NOT the right person to decide what is and isn't okay and who is and isn't being obnoxious. I'm not unbiased (I have a generally negative reaction to a lot of the stuff Long War did and does). I'm not always around. I don't have any moderator powers. I wouldn't want them if they were offered. So this is what we're going to do instead.

When a dumb-rear end argument starts, for whatever reason, those of us who are here to celebrate our hobbies and have fun may quote both arguers and call for them to 'settle it the usual way'. After 2-3 calls for a particular pair of clowns to settle it the usual way, they must immediately stop arguing and go play a game of chess to resolve their argument. I personally recommend https://www.sparkchess.com - it has generally hassle-free signup, no stupid spammy bullshit that I've seen, decent graphics, and a simple matchmaking system to do a multiplayer game. It will also let you save a replay of your game. Organizing the chess match is the responsibility of the two arguers. If they don't do it, it's not okay to argue about whatever they were arguing about.

Whoever wins the chess game is right on the internet for a period of 3 days. Whether or not you're right in real life, a good or bad person in general, or anything else is not determined by this chess game. The only thing that is resolved is who is right on the internet for a period of 3 days. After this period, we once again have no idea who is right, and the argument can ostensibly start again if two more brain-dead clowns decide to resurrect the argument.

Proof of the result of the game will be accepted by posting the replay, a PGN file, through mega or some other simple file service. These PGN files may then be verified by anyone who gives a crap on any of a hundred replay sites. An example one is https://en.lichess.org/paste.

If you ignore the call to settle it the usual way, or refuse to acknowledge the results of the chess game, regardless of what your argument is, you are an IDIOT COWARD RATFUCKER and I encourage the entire thread to troll the absolute poo poo out of you for being an IDIOT COWARD RATFUCKER. It shall be considered a high honor to land a sick burn on an IDIOT COWARD RATFUCKER worthy of many empty quotes and accolades on the internets. You may lose your IDIOT COWARD RATFUCKER status by playing your goddamn chess game or shutting the hell up for a period of 3 days.

On a somewhat related note, it is officially a-ok to talk chess and chess tactics in this thread now due to its inclusion in deterring IDIOT COWARD RATFUCKERS. All Hail Chess. All Hail XCOM Thread. Down with the IDIOT COWARD RATFUCKERS. That is all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That seems like way more work than just having a long war thread? vOv

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

That seems like way more work than just having a long war thread? vOv

as i said before, that would absolutely not stop the arguments. it didn't before. there's no reason to think it would happen now.

e: also yes, it really should be an awful lot of work to passive-aggressively poo poo up a thread.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 20, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's an almost total conversion of the game though, it'd probably benefit from being split off instead of having it mixed in with the regular conversation which is why I just dropped out of the thread originally because at times it was almost entirely long war chat which is of 0 interest to me. :\ I dont see any benefit of forcing together what are essentially two different games into one thread.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jan 20, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

It's an almost total conversion of the game though, it'd probably benefit from being split off instead of having it mixed in with the regular conversation which is why I just dropped out of the thread originally because at times it was almost entirely long war chat which is of 0 interest to me. :\

the problem with the xcom:eu thread was that it was almost completely dead until longwar came along, and there wasn't really a reason for there to be 2 threads.

the xcom 2 thread isn't as dead as the EU thread was when long war came out, especially with the influx of humble bundle people, but it certainly wasn't poppin like it used to. and like coolguye said, it doesn't matter if the threads are split, because people are going to poo poo post about things they like/don't like in both threads either way.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 20, 2017

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Long War 2 is a huge mod that overhauls a ridiculous amount of the game and institutes deep changes to core mechanics. Its scope is broad, its polish is rough (this being only the first public release yet), and its changes are so sweeping that many fundamental aspects players have taken for granted are overturned. In short, the very scale of this mod all but ensures that there will be a lot of strong opinions about it, especially from a crowd already so enthusiastic about the core game on which it is built. It seems only inevitable, then, that people are going to have arguments about whether a given change is good or bad, or whether a design decision is fun or not. These sort of disagreements are a natural result, though obviously there's no reason they can't be held politely.

But maybe making awkward unfunny (I hope) joke posts about authority-via-chess and trying to incite mob ostracization via "trolling" is not a very good response.

People disagree about the game and everyone's got points to make about liking or not liking the new thing. If anything I think the overreactions to the arguments do more to disrupt conversation than the actual pro/con arguments do, since at least those are about the game.

Personally, I'm still trying to get just the right suite of mods for convenience and new features that'll work with LW2 without desaturating what makes it unique, though given some bugs I've run into even unmodded, it might be best if I just hold off for the first big patch.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

if you'd like to make a separate thread i certainly have no interest in stopping you, nor any power to do so. it sounds like you're concerned about something completely different than i'm concerned about; you're concerned with a specific subject matter, i'm concerned with people just being loving civil to each other for a goddamn change.

to your point though, the content question is a really complicated one as well, though. if long war isn't okay to discuss in here, are other ambitious mods? what level of ambition does it require before it's banned out of this thread? does A Better Advent qualify, since it also changes huge swaths of how the game plays? this is the sort of thumb-twiddling nonsense that grinds tons of conversations to a halt because there isn't enough interest in some hyper-specific niche to maintain an interested and interesting thread. you end up seeing it a lot where basically any game that doesn't have a bethesda level of modding interaction; someone inevitably calls for mods to be discussed elsewhere and both threads are dead a week later because it's not worth checking a thread that gets a post a day.

it's a difficult problem actually, and i certainly don't think i have all the answers, but i definitely have not seen being really restrictive on What Is And Isn't Okay To Talk About have good outcomes.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Long War 2 is a huge mod that overhauls a ridiculous amount of the game and institutes deep changes to core mechanics. Its scope is broad, its polish is rough (this being only the first public release yet), and its changes are so sweeping that many fundamental aspects players have taken for granted are overturned. In short, the very scale of this mod all but ensures that there will be a lot of strong opinions about it, especially from a crowd already so enthusiastic about the core game on which it is built. It seems only inevitable, then, that people are going to have arguments about whether a given change is good or bad, or whether a design decision is fun or not. These sort of disagreements are a natural result, though obviously there's no reason they can't be held politely.

But maybe making awkward unfunny (I hope) joke posts about authority-via-chess and trying to incite mob ostracization via "trolling" is not a very good response.

People disagree about the game and everyone's got points to make about liking or not liking the new thing. If anything I think the overreactions to the arguments do more to disrupt conversation than the actual pro/con arguments do, since at least those are about the game.

Personally, I'm still trying to get just the right suite of mods for convenience and new features that'll work with LW2 without desaturating what makes it unique, though given some bugs I've run into even unmodded, it might be best if I just hold off for the first big patch.

the only real bug ive ran into is the game not loading in the skyranger returning screen, which requires a reset to fix. don't know if its lw2 causing it or not, but im glad i didn't start a ironman run because its happened multiple times.

e:also the spark mission is real easy now that it's simple as hell to get AP bullets. did it before researching new weapons or armor with only the spark getting hit once.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jan 20, 2017

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Probably a dumb question, but has the game's performance improved since the first couple of patches they released last spring? Although I toughed it out and beat the game I distinctly remember it running like rear end even after the supposed optimization patch. I haven't touched the game since then, and so I was wondering if has it gotten any better in the performance aspect?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

These sort of disagreements are a natural result, though obviously there's no reason they can't be held politely.

i am being completely serious, and the entire reason i have to be serious about this is because while you see no reason these disagreements can't be held politely, other people don't hold that same view and haven't for - again, i stress - LITERAL YEARS.

i sincerely hope people just get the loving point, stop acting pissy about other peoples' opinions, and nobody ever has to get told to play chess. i honestly loving do. but i've seen dozens of these arguments and tons of people driven out for simply not thinking the same thing about loving johnnylump, a dude who does not post here and does not care what is posted here.

so yes, if someone is going to insist on being toxic and drive people out, like we have seen for - again - LITERAL YEARS, i think rejecting that behavior is perfectly reasonable.

if you have an idea of your own i promise you i am open to hearing it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Mr.48 posted:

Probably a dumb question, but has the game's performance improved since the first couple of patches they released last spring? Although I toughed it out and beat the game I distinctly remember it running like rear end even after the supposed optimization patch. I haven't touched the game since then, and so I was wondering if has it gotten any better in the performance aspect?

i'm the wrong person to ask in general since the game always ran reasonably well for me, but i did notice when i cracked at the game about 3 weeks after the last dlc came out that i was able to record at 60fps, which i had been unable to do on release.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

People keep saying they want to hear my ideas but they never want to implement chemical castration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

People keep saying they want to hear my ideas but they never want to implement chemical castration.

i really have more questions about the mechanics than the ethics there

i mean where am i gonna get bicalutamide in THAT level of bulk