Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
I have been collecting every single collectible in Destiny. My goal for my character is Level 40, ✦400, and 100% of the Grimoire filled out.

I love where some of the things like Dead Ghosts and Calcified Fragments are. Requiring you to do acrobatic platforming is one thing Bungie asks you to do when collecting. Requiring you to go out-of-map is another.

There are at least three Dead Ghosts which require you to do acrobatic platforming WHILE IN A BOSS ROOM, FIGHTING A BOSS. One of them is outside the normal playable map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Celebrity Ghost posted:

I've always been partial to the 'completed the game' achievement from Double Dragon Neon. Specifically, when it pops: https://youtu.be/ZJNDP_HTFp4

When did it pop? I watched a bad song and didn't see it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

When did it pop? I watched a bad song and didn't see it.
I dunno, maybe the part where the bad song mentions it's giving you a medal for your victory or something, I dunno lol.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Which Half Life (or was it even Half Life?) that had you walking through an area early in the game and a guard tells you to pick up a can and put it in the trash. You get an achievement for chucking it at his face.

Recently started replaying Far Cry 4. There's a lot of things that could be said about this game but I love that after the intro to the game, the bad guy tells you to wait in his dining area so he can go torture some guy. If you wait 15 minutes or so a cut scene happens and the game ends.

Not like he kills you. He just lets you do the thing you came to do and then is pretty much like "ok nice meeting you see ya!"
I'm still hanging out for the spin-off of FarCry 4 game when you kick the rebels poo poo in, with Min tagging along and poo poo.

Croccers has a new favorite as of 04:39 on Jan 20, 2017

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

flatluigi posted:

One of the things I really like is when achievements unlock actual in-game benefits, which I can only think of happening twice: Dead Rising had some clever and some rough achievements but they'd unlock permanent bonuses sometimes, one of them giving you the buster from Megaman which is ridiculously powerful and easily worth the time spent grinding it out. Mass Effect (or at least the first one, I still need to get onto the rest of the series) had a bunch of achievements that you'd get through gameplay that were fairly standard, but would unlock stuff for any future playthroughs, including an exclusive set of equipment and being able to put fun skills from other classes on your character at creation.

Dead Space 2's hand cannon

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Joey Freshwater posted:

Which Half Life (or was it even Half Life?) that had you walking through an area early in the game and a guard tells you to pick up a can and put it in the trash. You get an achievement for chucking it at his face.

You also get an achievement if you put it in the trash can. IIRC they're the only mutually exclusive achievements in that game, but I'm a bit rusty on that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Croccers posted:

I dunno, maybe the part where the bad song mentions it's giving you a medal for your victory or something, I dunno lol.

So, randomly in the middle of a 4 minute video. I dunno lol

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mazerunner posted:

Dead Space 2's hand cannon

The hand cannon (read; Novelty foam finger) endlessly amuses the poo poo out of me, just for the mental image of them telling Isaac's voice actor to do all the "PEW PEW PEW" and "BANG BANG BANG" noises :allears:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBS86rAT4W0&t=38s

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Exit Strategy posted:

I have been collecting every single collectible in Destiny. My goal for my character is Level 40, ✦400, and 100% of the Grimoire filled out.

I love where some of the things like Dead Ghosts and Calcified Fragments are. Requiring you to do acrobatic platforming is one thing Bungie asks you to do when collecting. Requiring you to go out-of-map is another.

There are at least three Dead Ghosts which require you to do acrobatic platforming WHILE IN A BOSS ROOM, FIGHTING A BOSS. One of them is outside the normal playable map.

The worst ones are the calcified fragments you get for beating challenge mode of the oryx raid. It's just not really fun because your completion is based on whether or not you get a raid group full of poo poo babies who can't pay attention or rage out after the smallest mistake. I wish they put more inside regular dungeons though. It was cool when they put like three inside the dreadnought strikes, they should have put some in the heroic versions or something.

Then they just repeated it with SIVA nodes.

Anyway, I've been playing Way of the Samurai 4 again and it's really fun if you can look past its failings. However I resumed it in the middle of a playthrough and forgot what I was doing. So I started a story event and saw a symbol telling me I could use the draw weapon button and promptly sabotaged the entire story by killing several important NPCs for no reason. Got a cool new sword out of the deal though.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Gitro posted:

It's for opening (not using) the console in New Vegas, actually, and it locks you out of achievements for the rest of the play session. You can mod an infinite death gun and thirty thousand health and get everything no problem, but noclip yourself out of a rock or dungeon you've cleared or just fatfinger the tilde key instead of hitting 1 and you have to re-enter the game if you want your cheevos.

That's why forum user gibbed made Using the console doesn't disable achievements.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Has anyone done a gimmick with achievements and fakeout endings where they have a "completed the game" achievement pop to sell the fakeout ending?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

Has anyone done a gimmick with achievements and fakeout endings where they have a "completed the game" achievement pop to sell the fakeout ending?

Not that I know of, but I know several games have spoiled their fakeout ending by giving you a "beat level 7 boss" type achivement while very clearly having a "beat the game" type achivement.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I wouldn't have thought 'predator sections but in your car-tank' would be all that good, but the cobra bits have been some of the most fun I've had with the game.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I got a good laugh out of the achievement "It's Like That One Video" in the Borderlands 2 DLC, Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon's Keep, which is basically a satire on D&D gaming - you get the achievement by finding this cave that you can't enter, but has a health bar, and is titled The Darkness, and attacking it.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Baron Corbyn posted:

I'm pretty sure i've played at least one game with "You beat the game!" and "You beat the game FOR REAL!" achievements.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Baron Corbyn posted:

Rune Factory 4 was loving infamous for this, there's like 3 fakeout endings, some with partial credit rolls.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

World of Final Fantasy has something like that though it's only a moment before it pulls the curtain back.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd like a game where the final boss changes forms a few too many times, and instead of angst over "how are we going to prevail" or a power of friendship speech the main character just gets exasperated at form 4 and just yells "OH, gently caress OFF! THIS IS GETTING OLD!" The closest thing was in FFX when you have beaten Seymour Flux, his third fight by that point, and Tidus just yells "AND STAY UP THERE!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BioEnchanted posted:

I'd like a game where the final boss changes forms a few too many times, and instead of angst over "how are we going to prevail" or a power of friendship speech the main character just gets exasperated at form 4 and just yells "OH, gently caress OFF! THIS IS GETTING OLD!" The closest thing was in FFX when you have beaten Seymour Flux, his third fight by that point, and Tidus just yells "AND STAY UP THERE!"

Honestly I'd like to see that kind of fight turn into just holding the boss down and stabbing the fucker every time they so much as twitch. "Oh, it's NOT your final form?" *STABSTABSTAB* "How about now? Ya done yet? No? RIGHT!" *STABSTABSTAB*

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Honestly I'd like to see that kind of fight turn into just holding the boss down and stabbing the fucker every time they so much as twitch. "Oh, it's NOT your final form?" *STABSTABSTAB* "How about now? Ya done yet? No? RIGHT!" *STABSTABSTAB*

I've always wanted a game which would be difficult to get all the upgrades/hit max level/stats in, but if you succeed the game (assuming that if you've bothered it's not your first time playing and your just replaying it) recognises your ludicrous power and just has the final boss cowering as you carve your way effortlessly to his inner chamber, with his speech going form "HAH! You mortal fools think you can defeat a GOD!?" to "oh god, oh god, go away. Haven't you done enough? My plans are in ruins, my strongest warriors are dead, DO YOU REALLY HAVE TO COME AFTER ME TOO?! Why do you think I used minions, I'm just the management... :gonk:" Of course he'd still fight as hard as possible, but he'd be fighting out of desperation, so he'd be in each forms final attack phase immediately because he's just panicking and trying to make you go away, in effect making the fight harder than normal due to him not using his easy patterns.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 08:18 on Jan 20, 2017

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

BioEnchanted posted:

I've always wanted a game which would be difficult to get all the upgrades/hit max level in, but if you succeed the game (assuming that if you've bothered it's not your first time playing and your just replaying it) recognises your ludicrous power and just has the final boss cowering as you carve your way effortlessly to his inner chamber, with his speech going form "HAH! You mortal fools think you can defeat a GOD!?" to "oh god, oh god, go away. Haven't you done enough? My plans are in ruins, my strongest warriors are dead, DO YOU REALLY HAVE TO COME AFTER ME TOO?! Why do you think I used minions, I'm just the management... :gonk:" Of course he'd still fight as hard as possible, but he'd be fighting out of desperation, so he'd be in each forms final attack phase immediately because he's just panicking and trying to make you go away, in effect making the fight harder than normal due to him not using his easy patterns.

That's basically Undertale genocide, except the boss fights reluctantly because though he's incredibly powerful he knows on a long enough timescale he can't win and basically plays for time before the end

Edit: heck, a lot of that is undertale neutral/true timelines, where the final boss tries to kill you reluctantly because he pretty much promised he would, but hates violence and plays for time before the end

Play Undertale, basically

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 08:25 on Jan 20, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I keep meaning to get undertale but I have other games I want to play more, so it won't be for a while.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Or the main characters just walk away because now that he's a giant demon tree bug monster, the final boss can no longer fit through his own doorways and lacks the opposable thumbs needed to operate his fantasy warp pads.

BioEnchanted posted:

The seymour fights are actually really fun for the stupid story stuff once you stop dying to the third one. The first time, he's like a fantasy cardinal or some poo poo and the plot builds him up as a real shady dude so when you meet him he's pretty casual about the fact that he could kill you all and no one would doubt him, even though your party tries to talk some sense to him. Then you murder him. Like, just straight up murder. Then by the fourth time you fight him your party isn't afraid of him at all, or his political power. They're just like "You again?"

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

BioEnchanted posted:

I keep meaning to get undertale but I have other games I want to play more, so it won't be for a while.

Move it up your list, seriously. It's short and a beautiful exploration of the genre, plus fun and funny to boot. :shittydog:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Evilreaver posted:

That's basically Undertale genocide, except the boss fights reluctantly because though he's incredibly powerful he knows on a long enough timescale he can't win and basically plays for time before the end

The genocide final boss is a fantastic bit of storytelling and character expression, it's amazing.

Sans is one of only two characters shown to understand the concept of saving and loading the game that you have power of. As opposed to Flowey who previously had the power and can perceive when you do it, though, Sans only knows it academically. He knows that even if he wins, you can just reload to try again, he just can't directly perceive it. But Sans is a masterful comedian, and that means he knows how to read his crowd. So while every time you reload is the first time for him, he can see by the look on your face that you've lost to him before. He knows that you're really the only person who can stop you, so he's aiming to be so bullshit that you quit. That includes breaking the rules of the game as they've appeared thus far, to become just the most unfair thing he can be.

And, in line with interrupting the boss constantly pulling new poo poo on you, you finally beat him by stabbing him mid-taunt.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It reminds me of The Path (a pretentious Red Riding Hood based game all about virginity, menstruation, rape and other artsy things) that starts with direct instructions to stay on the path. First thing I did was turn 90 degrees and run into the woods.

Who the hell follows instructions when a game gives you the choice not to? That's where all the good loot is!
The difference here is that the Stanley Parable is good and the Path is bad just like all Tale of Tales games.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Undertale is also one of the few times that a game used interface as part of the story that didn't come off as a lame joke, just kinda obnoxious, or Kojima, up to one character taking his weapon and smashing the Mercy button to show you that it's Serious Time. I think a big part of it is that the game is so consistent about it; it doesn't do it one-off or for special fights, but regularly uses the interface as part of it's storytelling.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

OK, so far I'm not seeing the problem with Chapter 13 of FF15 - the spells were useful enough to stave off the enemies well enough that the stealth was largely unnecessary, the larger enemies can be x-zones and everything else can be holy-countered or killed with Death. Now that I've got Regis's Sword I can finally start fighting normally again as well, unless the problems come later? It's also doing a good job building atmosphere IMO. I also love the visual effect using Death on the Magitek Knights - they slowly crush like a soda can as the life is sucked out of them, so you end up fighting weird spindly fuckers that barely look like they can stand when you have to stop halfway through a cast to dodge

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 10:12 on Jan 20, 2017

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Kid Icarus: Uprising manages to pull off a fake ending when you're only about 1/3 of the way through the game. Chapter 9: Medusa's Final Battle is among 25 chapters

One thinks it seemed a bit short, but you have the adjustable difficulty and a ton of weapons and challenges to unlock. That should pride some good replay value. That space pirate level they had near the end was pretty crazy. The fight with Medusa is much bigger than the other boss fights previous. The characters have some fourth wall-straining banter over some chip tunes from the original NES game, and then the real villain comes onto the scene by tearing down the end credits, and the plot's exuberant insanity only continues to escalate to the end.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

BioEnchanted posted:

I've always wanted a game which would be difficult to get all the upgrades/hit max level/stats in, but if you succeed the game (assuming that if you've bothered it's not your first time playing and your just replaying it) recognises your ludicrous power and just has the final boss cowering as you carve your way effortlessly to his inner chamber, with his speech going form "HAH! You mortal fools think you can defeat a GOD!?" to "oh god, oh god, go away. Haven't you done enough? My plans are in ruins, my strongest warriors are dead, DO YOU REALLY HAVE TO COME AFTER ME TOO?! Why do you think I used minions, I'm just the management... :gonk:" Of course he'd still fight as hard as possible, but he'd be fighting out of desperation, so he'd be in each forms final attack phase immediately because he's just panicking and trying to make you go away, in effect making the fight harder than normal due to him not using his easy patterns.

in one of the borderlands 2 dlc the boss of it knows he stands no chance, and basically switches between bluster and pleading throughout the missions. When you storm his lair he sends out a group of his strongest dudes, and freaks out when you kill them. Then you kill his giant pet monster, and he comes out, knowing it's to his doom...

and trips and falls walking down the stairs and dies.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr Christmas posted:

Kid Icarus: Uprising manages to pull off a fake ending when you're only about 1/3 of the way through the game. Chapter 9: Medusa's Final Battle is among 25 chapters

One thinks it seemed a bit short, but you have the adjustable difficulty and a ton of weapons and challenges to unlock. That should pride some good replay value. That space pirate level they had near the end was pretty crazy. The fight with Medusa is much bigger than the other boss fights previous. The characters have some fourth wall-straining banter over some chip tunes from the original NES game, and then the real villain comes onto the scene by tearing down the end credits, and the plot's exuberant insanity only continues to escalate to the end.

Donkey Kong for the Game Boy acts like it's just a por tof the 4-level arcade version...and then the real game begins and you have something like 100 more levels.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just beaten FF15. Loved the Ending, with no special final forms or anything, just an all out slugfest against the final boss, then in final blow being Noctis summoning 13 former kings each with a unique weapon to each land a hit on himself and then him in the afterlife - Yup, Noctis finished him with Knights of the Round! I also like that when the 13 former kings are hitting Noctis in their final rites to bond themselves to him, his father, the final one, hesitates before manifesting, not wanting to slay his own son but knowing he has no choice. The Ifrit vs Shiva fight was pretty cool too. The mid-credits campfire talk was really sweet too...

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 14:35 on Jan 20, 2017

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I loved the end of the first Max Payne, where you're cutting through heavily armed security forces on your way to the villain, who is on the PA freaking out and going "What do you mean "he's unstoppable"?"

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
This was pre-cheevos of course, but one of the "insanity effects" in Eternal Darkness was a fakeout "thanks for playing! Get Hype for ED2!" splash screen. Its over quickly, but was good for a reflexive "HEY- waiiiit a second" at the time.

Shame that most of the hardware-based effects don't hold up anymore (unless you play on a CRT TV from 2002, of course)

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I loved the end of the first Max Payne, where you're cutting through heavily armed security forces on your way to the villain, who is on the PA freaking out and going "What do you mean "he's unstoppable"?"

In Far Cry 2, if your reputation is high enough it says something like "the rumors are that you're actually three special forces soldiersand only kill your victims after hours of agonizing torture."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think my favourite FF final boss, even if it is kinda pasted on, is FF12s because I love how he isn't in control of the situation anymore. Vayne is basically just a puppet of the Rogue Occuria by the end, which is obvious because of how he looks walking out to the final arena in his weird penultimate furry-musclegiant form. His breathing is laboured, he's staggering, he's clearly in great pain and then as if things aren't bad enough his Fortress, The Bahamut, starts ripping itself apart and fusing to him, forcing him into a final last stand as the abomination that is Mecha-Bahamut (I know it's called the Undying, but seriously? All I saw was Mecha-Bahamut what with the giant mechanical bat wings). I just love the way that cutscene plays out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sirbeefalot posted:

This was pre-cheevos of course, but one of the "insanity effects" in Eternal Darkness was a fakeout "thanks for playing! Get Hype for ED2!" splash screen. Its over quickly, but was good for a reflexive "HEY- waiiiit a second" at the time.

Shame that most of the hardware-based effects don't hold up anymore (unless you play on a CRT TV from 2002, of course)

There's only maybe two or three effects that actively gently caress with the "TV", and I think they still work okay if you get into the spirit of it. Stop loving with the volume, dammit! :argh:.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

BioEnchanted posted:

I think you can do this in one of the dragon quest games, I want to say 6, where if you beat the optional Super boss (literally God) before killing the final boss, God comes down and kills the final boss for you when the battle starts

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Calaveron posted:

I think you can do this in one of the dragon quest games, I want to say 6, where if you beat the optional Super boss (literally God) before killing the final boss, God comes down and kills the final boss for you when the battle starts

It's more like Gigasatan, but yeah, if you beat him in less than twenty turns he just clowns one of the hardest final bosses in the series effortlessly for you as a request IIRC.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I never noticed this: Watching Ryan and Claire's FF7 LP, in the shinra basement the books are on the shelves as expected (like this: |||||||| ||), but in two spots there is a pattern in how they lean: \/||. I never noticed that little thing in the environment before. Here's the part of the vid that I noticed it in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtLX-28R5vg&t=311s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
My favorite thing in Diablo 1 with the weird Hellfire expansion from Sierra was that you could get not only lovely items, but useless ones. I found a Useless Club once, it was just a magic club that did -100% damage. I barely remember any of the equipment I used deliberately, but that was my favorite piece of loot.