Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Darth Walrus posted:

So... uhh... Lowtax? Was this what you planned on this subforum looking like? Because :stare:

growing pains man.

Koala's is the only mod and this place was going to become a target of certain types guaranteed.

It'll get ironed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Darth Walrus posted:

So... uhh... Lowtax? Was this what you planned on this subforum looking like? Because :stare:

Hopefully in a few hours there will be some well deserved bans handed out. Ideally these people would just not exist, but if this subforum has to pull double-duty as a honeypot for racist imbeciles then so be it, we'll all be better off

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Yeah these racists poo poo lords shouldn't come here! *mod of subforum posts a rules thread containing a jokey reference to "killing whitey"

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Trunko posted:

Yeah these racists poo poo lords shouldn't come here! *mod of subforum posts a rules thread containing a jokey reference to "killing whitey"

:qq:

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
i wonder what martin luther king would think about humanity creating a technology which allowed us all to communicate and swap ideas without the race of the people communicating being taken into account as they are behind a computer screen and we still gently caress that up completely by having opted into racially segregated threads and subforums.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Rakosi posted:

i wonder what martin luther king would think about humanity creating a technology which allowed us all to communicate and swap ideas without the race of the people communicating being taken into account as they are behind a computer screen and we still gently caress that up completely by having opted into racially segregated threads and subforums.

Opted in? The Negrotown and Misogynoir threads were formed because mods wouldn't let posters talk about black issues in "regular" threads.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I am awake. The mass bannings start when I get to work I'm about 2 hours. Just an FYI.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Trunko posted:

killing whitey is actually not racist and objectively good

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Rakosi posted:

There was no opting friendo, this thread and forum would not exist if it the D&D mods were more willing to slap people for being lovely about race in the actual forum than create a segregated thread for the people directly affected by the shittiness. gently caress your attempt to put words in King's mouth.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Koalas March posted:

I am awake. The mass bannings start when I get to work I'm about 2 hours. Just an FYI.

:getin:

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

There was no opting friendo, this thread and forum would not exist if it the D&D mods were more willing to slap people for being lovely about race in the actual forum than create a segregated thread for the people directly affected by the shittiness. gently caress your attempt to put words in King's mouth.

Hey, hold your horses there. I'm just pointing out it is ironic that race is still such a big thing in a theoretically racially anonymous community. I meant, sarcastically, to say that we, as a community, have opted in to the segregation rather than doing things a different way (not literally you guys, or whoever. Though apparently it was the previous D&D mods' fault).

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Darth Walrus posted:

Lowtax posted:

I just wanted to get that thread out of D&D and dump it somewhere that I'll never have to worry about seeing.

Negrotown is an inconvenient problem child to the powers that be, very much like the black inhabitants of this fair nation of ours.

Honestly, I was expecting the thread to get locked and its inhabitants to gently caress off elsewheres, not get segregated into its own separate-but-equal subforum.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Domestic Amuse posted:

Negrotown is an inconvenient problem child to the powers that be, very much like the black inhabitants of this fair nation of ours.

Honestly, I was expecting the thread to get locked and its inhabitants to gently caress off elsewheres, not get segregated into its own separate-but-equal subforum.

This can all just be viewed as a microcosm of Black America's Perpetual Search For A Home

(read that article as well, jackholes. it's long but worthwhile)

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Have any of yell ever read ethnic america by Thomas Sowell? I highly recommend it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Koalas March posted:

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

This but unironically

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Rakosi posted:

Hey, hold your horses there. I'm just pointing out it is ironic that race is still such a big thing in a theoretically racially anonymous community. I meant, sarcastically, to say that we, as a community, have opted in to the segregation rather than doing things a different way (not literally you guys, or whoever. Though apparently it was the previous D&D mods' fault).

It's not on the whole surprising that just because a potentially color-neutral mode of communication opened up people wouldn't actually become color-neutral in their behavior; prejudice, stereotyping, and other beliefs that lead to racist outcomes/thoughts/behaviors are learned way before anyone gets access to the Internet. Not to mention that the minute people want to discuss issues that affect black people specifically and how to make them better that color-neutrality goes out the window, and if you want to actually help and not hurt in this regard trying to be race-blind above everything else means you miss the boat on meeting people where they are and land instead smack dab at the coast of making minority issues invisible which is indeed ironically not any better than being a card-carrying racist in a lot of ways.

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene
Barista: Would you like cream in that?

Me: No, whitey blood will be fine.

RT if you feel me. :cool:

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Prude posted:

Barista: Would you like cream in that?

Me: No, whitey blood will be fine.

RT if you feel me. :cool:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Koalas March posted:

good. be merciless.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'm here for the collective sighing

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene

botany posted:

good. be merciless.

Yes, because "mercilessness" will ensure the success of Negrotown. Totally. Not, oh, tolerance for the occasional innocuous shitpost and the ability to move on (ideally in good humor) like fully functioning adults, nope - instead just witch hunt, micromanage, or remove anything that slightly inconveniences your exact vision of the perfect "safe space" on an open subforum within these fairly large dead gay comedy forums. This'll be a flexible and practical strategy moving forward, surely, and without any potential fallout! Mercilessness - the future of Negrotown, long may it live.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Prude posted:

Yes, because "mercilessness" will ensure the success of Negrotown. Totally. Not, oh, tolerance for the occasional innocuous shitpost and the ability to move on (ideally in good humor) like fully functioning adults, nope - instead just witch hunt, micromanage, or remove anything that slightly inconveniences your exact vision of the perfect "safe space" on an open subforum within these fairly large dead gay comedy forums. This'll be a flexible and practical strategy moving forward, surely. Mercilessness - the future of Negrotown, long may it live.

i agree.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Prude posted:

Yes, because "mercilessness" will ensure the success of Negrotown. Totally. Not, oh, tolerance for the occasional innocuous shitpost and the ability to move on (ideally in good humor) like fully functioning adults, nope - instead just witch hunt, micromanage, or remove anything that slightly inconveniences your exact vision of the perfect "safe space" on an open subforum within these fairly large dead gay comedy forums. This'll be a flexible and practical strategy moving forward, surely, and without any potential fallout! Mercilessness - the future of Negrotown, long may it live.

They're really going to be cracking the whip on these shitposters

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Prude posted:

This is not 'the occasional innocuous shitpost' right now. This is 'crapping up the subforum like gagelion did in GBS'. Why should you get any more leeway? Why should your sense of humor be privileged above those of the people who were corralled in here?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Prude posted:

Meanwhile, anyone posting obvious troll threads deserves what they get.

Takane
Aug 24, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

This is not 'the occasional innocuous shitpost' right now. This is 'crapping up the subforum like gagelion did in GBS'. Why should you get any more leeway? Why should your sense of humor be privileged above those of the people who were corralled in here?

Literally lmao at the thought of being corralled into a safe space on an internet forum.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Train all white people to the Cracker Barrel that's it's purpose (also ban anyone not making genuine posts or posting outside of kayfabe of being in an actual Cracker Barrel restaurant tia)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I hope so many bans get handed out that Lowtax thinks he just won the lottery when the money from re-regs starts showing up.

These crackers ain't content to just be Ritz brand anymore now that PoC got their own subforum; they're going straight up Saltines.

e: also in case anyone thinks this sub isn't a proper ghetto, the property values in our new e-bronx be so low, even the trolls here be some low rent motherfuckers.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 20, 2017

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Takane posted:

Literally lmao at the thought of being corralled into a safe space on an internet forum.

Again this happened because it was easier to hide away the black posters than deal with people being lovely to black posters appropriately. It's not really a space they chose for themselves.

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

It was a statement of pragmatism: most people on the forums wont be bothering this subforum out of racism, but out of the absurdity of the premise. Never before have the forums had a subforum dedicated to a specific set of racial politics. So long as the subforum exists, shitposters will probably target it (at less regular intervals than now, sure) and it would save everyone some headaches to conceptualize those instances as Stuff That Doesn't Matter. It's gonna happen, it's not a big deal, and taking it in stride is probably in the best interest to ensure the longevity of this subforum and not attract further shitposting. There's better places on the internet for this kind of discussion if you don't want shitposts to be an ever-present possibility. If this is going to be taken as an unreasonable set of ideas (read: inevitabilities), then I can almost certainly assure you that Negrotown will never be at peace with itself. Lots of people are watching, so gracefulness rather than "mercilessness" is my utmost suggestion.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Again this happened because it was easier to hide away the black posters than deal with people being lovely to black posters appropriately. It's not really a space they chose for themselves.

Prude posted:

It was a statement of pragmatism: most people on the forums wont be bothering this subforum out of racism, but out of the absurdity of the premise. Never before have the forums had a subforum dedicated to a specific set of racial politics. So long as the subforum exists, shitposters will probably target it (at less regular intervals than now, sure) and it would save everyone some headaches to conceptualize those instances as Stuff That Doesn't Matter. It's gonna happen, it's not a big deal, and taking it in stride is probably in the best interest to ensure the longevity of this subforum and not attract further shitposting. There's better places on the internet for this kind of discussion if you don't want shitposts to be an ever-present possibility. If this is going to be taken as an unreasonable set of ideas (read: inevitabilities), then I can almost certainly assure you that Negrotown will never be at peace with itself. Lots of people are watching, so gracefulness rather than "mercilessness" is my utmost suggestion.

You're acting like we asked for this

Takane
Aug 24, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Koalas March posted:

If you didn't want this subforum why'd you say OK instead of working to make the other areas better? Makes you think huh.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

And if posters can't be bothered to read the 6(?) Rules stickied at the top of a forum...

Maybe

Just maybe

They're not here in our ghetto in good faith???

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Takane posted:

If you didn't want this subforum why'd you say OK instead of working to make the other areas better? Makes you think huh.

that wasn't an option.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Takane posted:

Not only was that not an option but it's almost like people want black and POC posters run out?? Hmm

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Prude posted:

Prude posted:

actually this subforum is doomed either way, because the people who were shuttered here are going to either reintegrate with D&D or leave the site when it's inevitably closed, so I'd appreciate it if KM probed and banned as many of these dudes as humanly possible because a few of them really have it coming, and then in the case of others like yourself less because you really deserve to be banned and more because it's the thing that generates maximum drama and furious buttsalt - i.e. comedy - on this comedy forum

thank you for considering my thoughts, user Prude

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene

Koalas March posted:

I don't mean to assign blame, but the behavior of people and especially goons is fairly predictable. I get why some people would want a space to talk about things of this nature, and I understand that the subforum thing may not have even been the wish of the posters. I'm briefly being honest here when I say that if this'll be a thing, it might as well be done well. Giving people who blatantly shitpost a reaction just perpetuates the kinds of issues one would expect here, it's within the nature of those people. Is it lovely that it tends to work that way? Depends on who you ask, but that's just the story I've seen play out plenty of times in different corners of the internet where people congregate.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Please take your gentrification of Negrotown to the Cracker Barrel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Takane posted:

That's not how that went down.

Lowtax posted:

Okay how about this: Negrotown can have its own subforum, and KM can mod it.

and then like ten posts later

Lowtax posted:

Okay cool, I have zero problems with that, I'll do it now.

This after two people actually said yes, and one person said nah. None of them were KM!

I'm sure the comment he made in the QCS thread where I posted about the making GBS threads up of the subforum that he did this to get rid of the thread in D&D has nothing to do with how swiftly he went ahead on this. Also Santa Claus exists and is my friend.

• Locked thread