Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I am downloading the trial as we speak, and intend to play it this weekend in order to make a decision on if I'll buy the final game. If that's not a demo I don't know what is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
If you like souls games and any of the the ninja gaiden series then this game is a must buy.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I play tarot cards as a way to make my decision on if I'll buy the final game. If that's not a demo I don't know what is.

Also the game is a month away and the Day 1 Patch is probably still in development.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Belzac posted:

I play tarot cards as a way to make my decision on if I'll buy the final game. If that's not a demo I don't know what is.

Also the game is a month away and the Day 1 Patch is probably still in development.

A Day 1 patch is unlikely to include any game changers though. For a game that is sold on the merits of its technical quality, it can't afford to not be largely set in stone for journalists and such.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
More like 2 and a half weeks away.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I don't know how many Day 1 Patches you've worked on but all the ones I have include gameplay changes.

It's a lot easier to rebalance how much damage a weapon does or how much life you have than it is to add in a new area.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there any indication yet of how many stats one can reasonably expect to be able to level up? Like if I wanted to be good at spears, guns, and guardian spirit stuff, am I going to be spreading myself too thin, or is there just no real way to know yet?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Muneshige duel side mission will return in this demo, if you haven't had your fill of thunder puppy yet

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Harrow posted:

Is there any indication yet of how many stats one can reasonably expect to be able to level up? Like if I wanted to be good at spears, guns, and guardian spirit stuff, am I going to be spreading myself too thin, or is there just no real way to know yet?

No way to know yet because I think read somewhere that stat point gain is jacked up for the tests but that might not be true

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lakbay posted:

No way to know yet because I think read somewhere that stat point gain is jacked up for the tests but that might not be true

I definitely feel like from the alpha to the beta that the amrita requirements per level jumped up.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Belzac posted:

I don't know how many Day 1 Patches you've worked on but all the ones I have include gameplay changes.

It's a lot easier to rebalance how much damage a weapon does or how much life you have than it is to add in a new area.

I meant game changers as in big overhauls or additions/optimization stuff which a lot of triple A games seem to like to do nowadays. I must admit I have no personal experience in game dev so I can't comment on that aspect but I would expect there to be balance changes. I doubt input from people playing the last demo would affect that though, if only due to the short time it's available for.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I'm working on a game where our patch goes out Tuesday. We're still making changes today based on demo data.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Belzac posted:

I'm working on a game where our patch goes out Tuesday. We're still making changes today based on demo data.

Fair enough then.

Are you at liberty to say what game you're working on? I'm just curious.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I am not, but just pointing out that changes, especially balance changes run all the way up until the end and they will most definitely be looking at the powerful strategies in the Demo to see what might need to be nerfed before release.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phantasium posted:

I definitely feel like from the alpha to the beta that the amrita requirements per level jumped up.

Oh yeah, they definitely did. Stats poured in during the first public demo and were a lot more limited in the second one.

I actually wish this game didn't have the Souls-style stat system. I want to be a multi-weapon master but also not have to totally disregard my guardian spirits, all of whom are cool and good and my friends :ohdear:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

Oh yeah, they definitely did. Stats poured in during the first public demo and were a lot more limited in the second one.

I actually wish this game didn't have the Souls-style stat system. I want to be a multi-weapon master but also not have to totally disregard my guardian spirits, all of whom are cool and good and my friends :ohdear:

Different weapons scale with different things. I want to say I saw weapons in the beta that scaled with Spirit which is the Guardian Spirit stat, but I could be mis-remembering.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Not only do different weapons scale with different things, but samurai points and the combos they unlock are partially decoupled from stats. If you are going Onmyo Magic or Spirit Guardian, you're still going to use weapons, but your damage isn't going to be derived from the stat the weapon normally scales with. Instead, you'll be getting damage from the Onmyo Magic applied to your weapon, or the living weapon of your Spirit Guardian. So you can still use a big variety of weapons even in a Magic or Spirit build. Your playstyle is just going to be different because you're going to have to work with different resource management systems to optimize your damage.

Which I think is really cool.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
You can definitely get weapons with high stat scaling from Magic and Spirit (and ninjitsu?). It uses a system very similar to Arcane scaling in Bloodborne.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

I'd expect it to be like souls; in that going all-in on one stat will make you have a clear edge, but being a hybrid doesn't make you so much worse that you're worthless or anything.

But we won't really know until we're towards the end of the game, even when we have it to start with we won't be sure of meta balance stuff like that.

Thing is; there's no pvp at launch. So... don't worry about it? It'll be like souls. If you spread your points "too thin" you can just get more levels. I guess maybe you're asking if there's a level cap? I mean, lets say you split your points and you're having a hard time... just kill more dudes and level up more. Then when you're kicking rear end you push forward in the game, and then when it gets hard again you slow down and die and have to spend some time leveling up. That's how souls always worked; you can beat them at SL1 or you can take your time to level up to SL150 or you can finish it anywhere in between depending upon your experience. The better you are at the game the farther you can get with lower stats, so spreading stats is just kinda the same thing.

The only reason levels really matter in souls is pvp matchmaking.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

Not only do different weapons scale with different things, but samurai points and the combos they unlock are partially decoupled from stats. If you are going Onmyo Magic or Spirit Guardian, you're still going to use weapons, but your damage isn't going to be derived from the stat the weapon normally scales with. Instead, you'll be getting damage from the Onmyo Magic applied to your weapon, or the living weapon of your Spirit Guardian. So you can still use a big variety of weapons even in a Magic or Spirit build. Your playstyle is just going to be different because you're going to have to work with different resource management systems to optimize your damage.

Hm, unless you can supercharge how quickly your Spirit Guardian's living weapon charges up I don't know if I can go with a Spirit-heavy build--I'd hate to have the majority of my damage tied up in the equivalent of Devil Trigger mode, where I suck most of the time but at least I get to kick rear end even harder when I turn on Kick Some rear end mode.

Zaphod42 posted:

Thing is; there's no pvp at launch. So... don't worry about it? It'll be like souls. If you spread your points "too thin" you can just get more levels. I guess maybe you're asking if there's a level cap?

Yeah, I guess I meant like: "How many things can I expect to be good at without having to grind?" more than anything. If it's anything like Souls, I'm guessing it's going to be, you can expect to either:

a) Be ahead of the curve at one thing but not be good at anything else
b) Stay on-curve with two things
c) Be behind the curve (unless you grind) with three or more things

Belzac posted:

You can definitely get weapons with high stat scaling from Magic and Spirit (and ninjitsu?). It uses a system very similar to Arcane scaling in Bloodborne.

As in, sometimes you can find weapons from a category that normally scale well with Strength or Body or something but they scale with Magic or Spirit instead? (I'm assuming there's no "convert your weapon's damage type/scaling" system like Bloodborne's blood gems.)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 20, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Harrow posted:

Hm, unless you can supercharge how quickly your Spirit Guardian's living weapon charges up I don't know if I can go with a Spirit-heavy build--I'd hate to have the majority of my damage tied up in the equivalent of Devil Trigger mode, where I suck most of the time but at least I get to kick rear end even harder when I turn on Kick Some rear end mode.

I mean, your Spirit Guardians have stat bonuses aside from the DT attack, and you unlock better ones at higher Spirit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The fact that Heart is the only stat that increases Ki, while also being the main scaling stat for most katanas, seems to suggest that they want katanas to be a reliable fallback weapon for every build, at least. I sort of doubt that it's a good idea to totally neglect increasing your maximum Ki, right?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

There are weapon traits like attack bonus up (spirit) that add a ton of damage scaled from that stat

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I tried to do a cannon/heavy armor build by dumping my points into stamina or whatever the equipment burden stat was and even after +20 stat points into it I think I got only 1 unit extra of encumbrance and the cool looking heavy armors were still too heavy to even move around in :argh:

Hopefully there's some kind of havel's ring equivalent

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ha, I just realized Heart scales bows, too. So basically, unless there's a build that can get by with base Ki, you're probably always going to have one fallback melee weapon (katanas) and one fallback ranged weapon (bows). That's kinda neat.

Maybe I'll do a Body + Heart + Spirit build, then. Guns seem cool but I bet they're going to be strong enough (at least sniping dudes with headshot damage to thin out a group) even without heavy investment in the Skill stat, and if they aren't, well, I'll have bows. Seems like a well-rounded stat spread overall. I'll probably need at least some Strength to equip certain weapons, but everyone probably needs some of that, and maybe a little bit of Stamina depending on how much affects equip load, but again, everyone probably needs a little of that.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Lakbay posted:

I tried to do a cannon/heavy armor build by dumping my points into stamina or whatever the equipment burden stat was and even after +20 stat points into it I think I got only 1 unit extra of encumbrance and the cool looking heavy armors were still too heavy to even move around in :argh:

Hopefully there's some kind of havel's ring equivalent

I hope so because I tried doing a tank build in the beta with the cannon, heavy armor and axe and boy was it not great. You do get DS1 poise but the stamina regen penalty was way too much for me.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Heavy weapons just didn't click with me, but a lot of that might have been ki management quirks like you said. I played very conservatively with low stance and normal rear end katanas.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Euro demo has started.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 20, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
People saying the chain sickle is just as versatile as the spear

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

People saying the chain sickle is just as versatile as the spear

Which stat does it scale with? Skill, Dexterity? Because it looks crazy fun.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I feel like I'm gonna play this game a billion times just like Souls.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

There are ways to increase the rate at which your Spirit Gauge charges, and also different guardians charge at different rate. If you're doing a spirit build, you'd presumable level more than one. I forget which one it is, but one them, Bird or Shark, I think, basically charges so fast you can be in living weapon every fight. It has a very low damage bonus compared to the others, but levelling guardians hasn't been in either of the trials, so we don't know what effect that will have.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
well it already has one up on dark souls 3 then

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lets hang out posted:

Euro demo has started.

Hell yes, I was hoping there'd be respeccing. The lack of it in Bloodborne is one of the three things I don't like about a game I otherwise consider to be frighteningly close to perfect (the others being the reliance on blood gems for damage bonuses in Chalices and NG+ and the extremely clumsy online), so I'm glad it'll be in Nioh.

Snak posted:

There are ways to increase the rate at which your Spirit Gauge charges, and also different guardians charge at different rate. If you're doing a spirit build, you'd presumable level more than one. I forget which one it is, but one them, Bird or Shark, I think, basically charges so fast you can be in living weapon every fight. It has a very low damage bonus compared to the others, but levelling guardians hasn't been in either of the trials, so we don't know what effect that will have.

Neat. Yeah, I'm probably going to go Body + Heart + Spirit then. I'm betting that won't be spreading myself too thin and I can always respec if it isn't working out. Gonna try that in this weekend's demo.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I hope that's just ambiguous wording but that sounds like it makes you level 1 again and you have to grind back to where you were

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

I hope that's just ambiguous wording but that sounds like it makes you level 1 again and you have to grind back to where you were

It sounds like it refunds all your Amrita and skill points but drops you to level 1, which means you can just re-spend that Amrita to level right back up again. I think that red-text "this will make you level 1" thing is just so people don't use it and then immediately jump into a mission before spending their Amrita and get owned because they're level 1 now.

If it really is a "grind your way back up if you hate your build, scrub" then I don't think they'd say that it lets you "reassign your Amrita and skill points," because that wording implies that you're not losing your Amrita and skill points.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lakbay posted:

Yeah, but it says "reassign your amrita and skill points" and if it really just reset you, you wouldn't be reassigning anything.

I had the same thought though.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Harrow posted:

Which stat does it scale with? Skill, Dexterity? Because it looks crazy fun.

Saw someone say it's dex

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lets hang out posted:

Saw someone say it's dex

Welp, looks like I'm going to have to put "go full ninja" on my list of builds to try then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lets hang out posted:

Saw someone say it's dex

Weapon gonna own game gonna own