Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I would buy that collection just for Prince of Egypt in HD.

Please tell me where I can dispense money to get these goods and services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Das Boo posted:

I was dating a guy at the point when this and Up were in theaters. I wanted to see Up and he refused, saying he didn't like Pixar. Insisted it was Monsters Vs. Aliens or nothing. Then he made me go with him to see X-Men Origins, got really pissed when I couldn't stop laughing at it and dumped me. Then wanted to date me again.

It was a strange spring.

Interesting, when those movies came out both I and my girlfriend at the time were interested in Monsters vs. Aliens AND X-Men Origins. We were teenagers, we didn't know any better (about Origins, MvA I at least managed to watch a couple more times after) :gonk:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Please tell me where I can dispense money to get these goods and services.

Dreamworks parking lot.

devilwu
Feb 4, 2015
English dubbed version trailer (with Nick Offerman !). Does any of you goons have seen the movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd2TOf1kmfk

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Something about the design of the characters' eyes reminds me a lot of the character design for Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I've seen the French version. It's utterly charming and sweet.

devilwu
Feb 4, 2015

Hedrigall posted:

Something about the design of the characters' eyes reminds me a lot of the character design for Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas.

It's probably the eyes and the eyelids. Didn't see it, do you recommend it?

Vegetable posted:

I've seen the French version. It's utterly charming and sweet.

A simple and lovely story. Where did you see it? I had the chance to see it in Annecy film festival this summer (I had to fight to book the reservation).

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

devilwu posted:

It's probably the eyes and the eyelids. Didn't see it, do you recommend it?

Only as part of watching Community as a whole. By itself it wouldn't make much sense.

(oh and as far as Community goes, skip season 4)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I just want to say I am really enjoying the Netflix Voltron series right now.

edit: RHYS DARBY IS IN THIS????! :neckbeard:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 20, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
that looks like the same art team as Avatar, am I right?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

starkebn posted:

I know a lot of the same people are involved. The writing is very Avatar-esque, too.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Huh, I've been seeing Voltron stuff here and there, but I assumed it was a Japanese show until now.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

devilwu posted:

English dubbed version trailer (with Nick Offerman !). Does any of you goons have seen the movie?

Probably my favourite animated film from last year. It's incredibly charming and deals with some heavy themes without ever losing its deft touch. Definitely go see it if you have the opportunity.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Huh, I've been seeing Voltron stuff here and there, but I assumed it was a Japanese show until now.

Japan doesnt give a poo poo about Voltron. It was some also-ran garbage but in the US and other places it was the only game in town.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Japan doesnt give a poo poo about Voltron. It was some also-ran garbage but in the US and other places it was the only game in town.

Yeah, in Japan it was a wildly different series called GoLion which basically ran and was forgotten, especially because it was basically a "Me too" for combining robot mecha of which were a dime a dozen at the time it came out. Since it was the only one we really got in the US however it became entrenched with our idea of what a combining super robot is.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

devilwu posted:

A simple and lovely story. Where did you see it? I had the chance to see it in Annecy film festival this summer (I had to fight to book the reservation).
Singapore Film Festival.

Definitely my favorite animation of 2016 too. A breath of fresh air from the American studio stuff.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's fascinating what catches on where.

Cowboy Bebop wasn't really all that notable in Japan, Big O was a flop, and Voltron as said was an also-ran, but Bebop is beloved in the US, and Big O was such a hit they released the otherwise canned second season for the americanss, and Voltron has a huge nostagla factor.

in non-animation, Wizardry pretty much died in the US but they still continue cranking out games in that name in Japan.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Akira too.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

starkebn posted:

yep Studio Mir, that and a few prominent people from Airbender and Korra are running the show

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
First season new voltron was very good, not quite avatar excellent but it was very considerate of its characters and world.
The first episode had too many barf/fart jokes and felt a bit too much like a normal cartoon adventure show but that ends after it's done and it becomes a good show.

I've only watched one episode of new season but it was great so far.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Hey is there any merch of shark-head Maui yet?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Talking of merch though:

http://buyhappyfeet.com/collections/Dreamworks

I audibly gasped.

Currently 40% off with promo code too

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Phylodox posted:

I know a lot of the same people are involved. The writing is very Avatar-esque, too.

Its very important to clarify the writing is like the Last Airbender, and is not like Legend of Korra.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Its very important to clarify the writing is like the Last Airbender, and is not like Legend of Korra.

Except that Hunk is 100% Bolin.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Phylodox posted:

Except that Hunk is 100% Bolin.

Did Bolin ever say anything smart in seasons 3 and 4, which I didn't watch
Hunks at least supposed to be an engineer but they keep forgetting that to do food/puke gags
Season 2 it gets worse, they let him have one or two serious moments but then he starts puking or talking about food again.

I feel avatar did better with its comedic timing. Like at first Sokka was like Lance in his sexism and horniness but they actually let him develop into a better person instead of letting him stay like he was in episode one so they could hammer on that for cheap gags. It meant they actually had to write jokes but the show was batter for it. meanwhile lance is still ineffectually hitting on allura with anime faces late season 2 in order to have "funny" moments.

I binged season 2 yesterday, liked it, but got a little annoyed at some points... might have been in a bad mood because I was trying to clear my head of some horrible drama in my life, otherwise I would have stretched it out a little.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
To be fair, they originally had no intention of growing Sokka's character in the direction he ended up taking; it was in working with his voice actor and trying to play to his strengths that we ended up with the character we got after season 1.

And yeah Bolin does get better. If you skipped the last two seasons of Korra, you missed out on what made that show worth watching. Season 3 was phenomenal.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Voltron S2 was a good slow burn with a lot of parts that moved together for a fairly decent ending. Overall solid but I really do not like that they keep trying to do the "Lance is Creepin' on Allura" bit. While HUnk's "I'm a hungry fat guy" joke is merely old, Lance's running gag is actively unfunny. I thought we've moved on from that crap.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I don't have netflix. Is Voltron a show as good or better as Korra?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I don't have netflix. Is Voltron a show as good or better as Korra?

So far I'd say on average it's better but it's neither as bad as Korra's low moments or as good as Korra's high moments. It's a lot less ambitious as well.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CeallaSo posted:

And yeah Bolin does get better. If you skipped the last two seasons of Korra, you missed out on what made that show worth watching. Season 3 was phenomenal.

Season 3 was far and away much better than Season 2, but didn't live up to the hype of Season 1, which itself was maybe a third as good as the original series. I stopped watching after season 3 because, honestly, the show completely lost me, it had so much potential but didn't live up to any of it, and the ending just left me bitter. The Wan episodes were the best, though.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Voltron is one of those shows that has the potential to become really good but hasn't quite gotten there yet and its hard to tell if it will ever reach that point. So right now its good but not great.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

nerdman42 posted:

Voltron is one of those shows that has the potential to become really good but hasn't quite gotten there yet and its hard to tell if it will ever reach that point. So right now its good but not great.

The final developments seem to indicate very good things, according to the accounts of Voltron nostalgics I've read online. I think season 3 could be great, I just hope they can make more than one or two characters have arcs per season.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

nerdman42 posted:

It seems to me like they're in this for the long haul. Their pacing is really, really slow. The first season was pretty much just establishing the show's premise, with a little bit of world building. The second season was about expanding the show's scope and showing a bit more of what's going on in the universe at large, as well as exploring the relationship between the paladins and their lions. I can appreciate that they're taking their time, but it does kind of make the show seem a bit aimless. There's no clearly established stakes. It's just kind of "bad guys doing generic bad things on some isolated planets". By this point in Avatar, we had already established the heroes, the bad guys, the world they lived in and their relation to it, and an imminent crisis that meant a definite timeline for the story. Meanwhile, two seasons in and it feels like we're still in the first act of the Voltron story.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

sounds like a problem they had in Korra as well, except instead of spinning their wheels they accelerated too quickly and the seasons didn't feel paced well. They got a handle on it by season 3 so I think there is still hope for Voltron.

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.
To be fair seasons in Voltron are shorter than in ATLA. Season 2 ends on episode 24 - although the very first episode was like 3 episodes, since it was an hour long - while ATLA's seasons were mostly 20 episodes long, it looks like.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Watching Storks, it's super good. Hunter is the best bird :h:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

So I FINALLY saw Rango for the first time yesterday. Holy poo poo.

I have so many questions.

Like what exactly is going on with Beans' face? It kind of scares me. Also why is Rattlesnake Jake the best villain?

Rango is like an ADHD chameleon and as a person with ADHD, I love him.

Hedrigall posted:

Watching Storks, it's super good. Hunter is the best bird :h:

Hunter is the best part about Storks, really.

Not to say the movie is bad, it's a great movie. It's just Hunter is the best part of that great movie.

Also the wolves. The wolves are the second best.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ThermoPhysical posted:

Also the wolves. The wolves are the second best.

I thought the submarine gag was great when they all had to come up for air.
Yeah, Storks had the dry goofy humor that can be really amusing or really bland - thank goodness it went down the amusing path.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Everytime I hear "Wolf pack! Form of..." my soul jumps for joy :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Well neither is that, because the worst figure of all time was the one of Doctor Claw.