Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I actually don't think the trailer makes the movie look that good. Why the Wolverine character has to be dogged by that floaty wirework fighting style is beyond me, I'll never understand why they didn't completely drop that after Origins. A lot seems to be riding on this child actor as well, and I'm not totally sold on her based on that trailer.

Could still be great, it certainly has a lot of potential and focusing so much on Jackman and Stewart is definitely a solid core to what could be a much better movie than what that trailer indicates to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rough Lobster posted:

Yelling IT'S MORPHIN TIME will only strike a five year old as cool

Only if they leave out the :krad: guitar riffs.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Basebf555 posted:

I actually don't think the trailer makes the movie look that good. Why the Wolverine character has to be dogged by that floaty wirework fighting style is beyond me, I'll never understand why they didn't completely drop that after Origins.

Seriously, and I can't imagine its a budget issue. Contrasted against the flying tackles of Superman/Iron Man, the way Wolverine loses all momentum and sags when he dives clawfirst into that guy is laughable. I guess it's an allegiance to practical effects over CGI but that's not always the best move. Flight in XMen movies looks similarly bad, everyone just floats standing upright.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Each director fantasizes of having a fight as badass as the Wolverine/Deathstryke fight in X-Men 2 but fails because they overdo the wire-fu by only using it for "person dives really far in a straight line" instead of trying to keep it short and to the point ( :haw: ) and doing anything cool with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB9w-Mq0BZM

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I laughed at how awful it looked when X-23 did that flip and then was surprised to see all the praise for the trailer.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
You guys want a 90s X-Men movie, but you were given an 80s one (The Wolverine) and you didn't like it. So...I dunno.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You guys want a 90s X-Men movie, but you were given an 80s one (The Wolverine) and you didn't like it. So...I dunno.

People want the stuff they enjoyed from their childhood until they realize that the stuff they enjoyed from their childhood (that was aimed at them, that is) was generally pretty terrible.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

The Dave posted:

I laughed at how awful it looked when X-23 did that flip and then was surprised to see all the praise for the trailer.

I don't think people were praising the little girl's flip as the primary thing that appeals to them in the 2 trailers so far.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Electromax posted:

I don't think people were praising the little girl's flip as the primary thing that appeals to them in the 2 trailers so far.

The trailer shows two different action scenes, and in both we can clearly see that same weightless wirefu that plagued the last few Wolverine movies. So to get hyped about this movie I have to just accept that I won't like any of the action and hope for a really good character piece, which it may actually end up delivering on. We'll see.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Electromax posted:

Well all the dialogue came off as try-hard too but didn't think I needed to call that out. Red band trailer also going for the "OMG HE SAID gently caress!" gag.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The Wrap claims that Tom Cruise, Joel McHale, Bradley Cooper, Ryan Reynolds, Armie Hammer, and Jake Gyllenhaal are on the shortlist of actors DC Entertainment is considering pursuing for the role of Hal Jordan in “Green Lantern Corps”

http://www.thewrap.com/hal-jordan-green-lantern-corps-tom-cruise-jake-gyllenhaal-ryan-reynods/

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh god please not Jake Gyllenhaal. He's been making such great career choices lately!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The Wrap claims that Tom Cruise, Joel McHale, Bradley Cooper, Ryan Reynolds, Armie Hammer, and Jake Gyllenhaal are on the shortlist of actors DC Entertainment is considering pursuing for the role of Hal Jordan in “Green Lantern Corps”

http://www.thewrap.com/hal-jordan-green-lantern-corps-tom-cruise-jake-gyllenhaal-ryan-reynods/

lol at Ryan Reynolds, but that first one is a real, "One of these things is not like the others."

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I don't ask for much, God, but please give us Tom Cruise in full Ric Flair mode as Hal Jordan

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Captain America wears so much makeup in Civil War.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Bob Downey wears more makeup, though.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I don't ask for much, God, but please give us Tom Cruise in full Ric Flair mode as Hal Jordan

If Tom Cruise would approach this role with the same humor as his character from Tropic Thunder then I'd be all for him.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

Captain America wears so much makeup in Civil War.

Evan's hairpiece is also pretty suspect in that movie.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Note: Those are all people that DC wants to approach and not people who necessarily have any interest in the role.

Seems like they should definitely be able to get at least one of them, though.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Basebf555 posted:

Evan's hairpiece is also pretty suspect in that movie.

I don't understand what's wrong with a balding Captain America, honestly. Like, look at Jason Statham. He would not look nearly as badass without that widow's peak.

Like I'm assuming the "balding" thing with Chris Evans is a widow's peak not a baldspot if it's a baldspot then lol

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Seems like they should definitely be able to get at least one of them, though.

Yea, Joel McHale or Armie Hammer. What a Sophie's Choice that is, how could they possibly decide?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I don't understand what's wrong with a balding Captain America, honestly. Like, look at Jason Statham. He would not look nearly as badass without that widow's peak.

Like I'm assuming the "balding" thing with Chris Evans is a widow's peak not a baldspot if it's a baldspot then lol

Oh definitely, I agree. Just let him cut it down really short ala Statham.

I don't think its a bald spot, I've seen pictures of Evans with his real hair and the back seems fine.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Jason Statham, Jack Nicholson, Jean Reno, Jim Gandolfini, Jason Alexander, Vegeta..... balding is muy macho

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It cuts from Cap to his blonde neighbour and she's far less ready for a night on the town.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's impossible for black panther to look anything but super femme.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Each director fantasizes of having a fight as badass as the Wolverine/Deathstryke fight in X-Men 2 but fails because they overdo the wire-fu by only using it for "person dives really far in a straight line" instead of trying to keep it short and to the point ( :haw: ) and doing anything cool with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB9w-Mq0BZM

I always wondered why that movie in particular had such good choreorgraphy compared to the other X-Men movies. Like they only hired the stunt guys for that particular flick?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Oh god please not Jake Gyllenhaal. He's been making such great career choices lately!

I was hoping that Jake Gyllenhaal would have been cast as the Joker in the modern DC Universe. I think he would have done a really good job.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Why do we always have to go with Hal? John Stewart is awesome and in the public consciousness. Kyle Rayner gives you a nice "hip" remix on the idea. And I'm sure there's someone who is/can play a giant rear end in a top hat and has red hair that would love to play Guy.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Note: Those are all people that DC wants to approach and not people who necessarily have any interest in the role.

We know at least one of them has shown great interest in the role before.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Shageletic posted:

I always wondered why that movie in particular had such good choreorgraphy compared to the other X-Men movies. Like they only hired the stunt guys for that particular flick?

I think part of it is that they kept it totally bloodless so they could really add weight to having Wolverine cold charge into people full on screen and be in full flipping out/in pain mode (along with the other characters). It's a huge contrast from the first movie and I remember it being talked about the way people talk about the Dark Knight being PG-13 despite having both the pencil trick and Aaron Eckart's face melting. I do also remember an interview where they said outright they wanted to really do it like a good wuxia flick where the character's personality comes through very very strongly in how they fight (you really see this with the Nightcrawler intro and also Mystique owning all the soldiers towards the end) and with wires and stuff. Between that and Crouching Tiger coming out not long before it probably right when it went into production I think they realized they couldn't play around, because even when the 2000 X-Men movie was new people thought the action was lame.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gyges posted:

Why do we always have to go with Hal? John Stewart is awesome and in the public consciousness. Kyle Rayner gives you a nice "hip" remix on the idea. And I'm sure there's someone who is/can play a giant rear end in a top hat and has red hair that would love to play Guy.

We know at least one of them has shown great interest in the role before.

Hal is because Geoff Johns has a boner for him.

Possibly literally.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The only good thing about that un-aired Justice League pilot is that they went with Guy Gardner but had him look like Hal Jordan.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
John C. McGinley for Guy
Iris Elba for John Stewart
And generic dude for Kyle Rayner

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Literally have Tim Drake and Kyle Rayner be played by the same actor in the same movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

It's both a widow's peak and that his hair has been thinning at a ridiculous pace. He's been wearing a piece since The First Avenger (and it gets more noticeable in every movie).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Timby posted:

It's both a widow's peak and that his hair has been thinning at a ridiculous pace. He's been wearing a piece since The First Avenger (and it gets more noticeable in every movie).

Steroids are bad for you.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
The vita-rays made him grow taller than his hair.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

lol at Ryan Reynolds, but that first one is a real, "One of these things is not like the others."

Casting call: looking for a white male between 25 and 60 years of age

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Guy A. Person posted:

Casting call: looking for a white male between 25 and 60 years of age

Is the world ready for gray hair streak Hal Jordan?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

thrawn527 posted:

Well, Ryan Reynolds has successfully played the same character twice, the first panned as a terrible film and general performance, the second a box office smash. Maybe they're looking at it thinking "Hmm maybe if we give him a bit more control over the character this time we can make lightning strike twice"

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I like how no one gives a poo poo the Joel McHale is on that list. He was in Spider-Man 2, you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I like how no one gives a poo poo the Joel McHale is on that list. He was in Spider-Man 2, you know.

As who? I'm somewhat sure I watched Spider-Man 2.

Also, McHale basically does that TMZ-esque talkshow thing, the Soup, right? hahaha.

• Locked thread