Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
B.F. Hoodrich
May 16, 2006
welp

jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

kayakyakr posted:

Same here. Have enjoyed the last 13 years on SAS/FF.

If it had to end, I'm just glad it didn't end with another drat 'bama title.

I hope this place doesn't go anywhere because the only other options are r/cfb or the comment section in EDSBS, and in either place a G5 fan is pretty much Snoopy in a library.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 20, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't think the forum is going anywhere at least for awhile. You'll just (probably) have a new mod

I have slightly less confidence that there won't be a nuclear holocaust that makes this all moot though

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

I don't think the forum is going anywhere at least for awhile. You'll just (probably) have a new mod

I have slightly less confidence that there won't be a nuclear holocaust that makes this all moot though

Yeah, I think that is currently more my concern as well.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
The most logical backup plan, since nobody should be insane enough to pay money to host a board for our shitposting, is to just make our own subreddit. You'd just need someone trustworthy enough as lead mod because whoever owns that poo poo essentially owns it as long as they're active and reddit admins almost never take away or turn over lead mod powers. Make it invite only (or don't) and we'd just migrate there.

I think we'll be here chatting up CFB for some time so I don't consider it a real concern right now.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

To punish us for Trumps America, MV probably nominated Scionix.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
If Vilerat can mod D&D there is no good reason why Wheez can't mod TFF

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

*screaming internally intensifies*

Crotch Bat posted:

The most logical backup plan, since nobody should be insane enough to pay money to host a board for our shitposting, is to just make our own subreddit. You'd just need someone trustworthy enough as lead mod because whoever owns that poo poo essentially owns it as long as they're active and reddit admins almost never take away or turn over lead mod powers. Make it invite only (or don't) and we'd just migrate there.

I think we'll be here chatting up CFB for some time so I don't consider it a real concern right now.

Slack chat for GDT's imo

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I somehow never got probated or banned if Lowtax is back is the ban hammer back?

tldr Don't care keep CFB chatting in here guys

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Crotch Bat posted:

I tried reading reddit once but couldn't understand the flow of conversations. Maybe I'm too old for these newfangled social medias. I remember reading some of the first message board systems at the library back around '90 when I was a wee lad.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 20, 2017

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Question I've been wondering for a bit. If Fulmer goes back to Tennessee and the team immediately starts being awful with violations again can we rename the Fulmer Cup to reflect Fulmer's deep commitment to athletes getting into trouble?

got any sevens posted:

I tried reading reddit once but couldn't understand the flow of conversations. Maybe I'm too old for these newfangled social medias. I remember reading some of the first message board systems at the library back around '90 when I was a wee lad.

The upvote system isn't conducive to conversations. Each individual post will occasionally devolve into it's own series of discussions and sub discussions. The SA forum style is like a stream of consciousness which works surprisingly well to follow the flow of conversation.

I went and read through all the drama and whoo boy I'm sorry any of our admins got affected by it or had it convince them to bow out. Shame.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Question I've been wondering for a bit. If Fulmer goes back to Tennessee and the team immediately starts being awful with violations again can we rename the Fulmer Cup to reflect Fulmer's deep commitment to athletes getting into trouble?

The upvote system isn't conducive to conversations. Each individual post will occasionally devolve into it's own series of discussions and sub discussions. The SA forum style is like a stream of consciousness which works surprisingly well to follow the flow of conversation.

I went and read through all the drama and whoo boy I'm sorry any of our admins got affected by it or had it convince them to bow out. Shame.
What happened? Where'd it happen?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I bet I could sweet talk someone into handing me the keys to /r/rolltide...

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Thermos H Christ posted:

If Vilerat can mod D&D there is no good reason why Wheez can't mod TFF

Did they ever tell what caused his passing?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Speaking of OL play: what's the deal a few teams do -- Auburn, Oregon off the top of my head -- where when the defense jumps and it's a free play the OL will stay in place while the QB takes his home-run shot? Is it to emphasize that the defense was offside so the flag gets thrown? Are they just trained to not move under any circumstances until the snap count goes off? Even if it's a free play and there's no consequence to a sack or hurry wouldn't you want to protect the QB anyway just to make the deep ball more likely to succeed?

It's basically this, yeah. I've always understood it to be a signal to the officials that it's a clear offside, and basically to WRs to say "gently caress it go deep" as the QB just chucks it to see what they can get out of it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Regnevelc posted:

If you ask DnD it was Hillary Clinton

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Regnevelc posted:

Tom Brady.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

swickles posted:

Tom Brady.

Tom Brady has been killing the Bills playoff chances for 16 years now, so makes sense

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Slack chat for GDT's imo

Actually, I'd be OK if we did this in general.

Crotch Bat posted:

The most logical backup plan, since nobody should be insane enough to pay money to host a board for our shitposting, is to just make our own subreddit.

I'd consider it... But I am insane, so...

Warbird posted:

I bet I could sweet talk someone into handing me the keys to /r/rolltide...

/r/olltide

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

AsInHowe posted:

What happened? Where'd it happen?

A D&D mod was put in charge of some of the SJW type threads and proceeded to probate people, mostly on 6 hr probes, for various things. A lot of those posters bitched elsewhere about it so then LadyAmbien (one of the big mods) posted this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3805093&userid=0&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

That didn't go particularly well. Lowtax got involved first demodding the main mod some people had bitched about along with numerous others and then flipped and gave that mod an entire subforum for PoC issues which may or may not look like straight up segregation depending on your POV. It sounds like a lot of other mods didn't appreciate Lowtax popping up like a bull in a china shop in the mod forum and ignoring all the discussion so a number of them stepped down. Oh and the initial mod that got this ball rolling is a proclaimed black woman so that may or may not have anything to do with it. Also, Lowtax started it with a slogan of "Making the forums funny again" which has gotten a lot of diverse reactions due to the wording and obvious real life reference points. A thread kind of about that: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806295&userid=0&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

My personal take, D&D has a bunch of different issues but it's constantly vacillating between trying to open up more debate which inevitably results in the posters trolling threads about politics by asking the same stupid questions over and over again. Then D&D over corrects and becomes too insular. Lately, and looking at the political landscape and other internet forums this isn't a surprise, a lot of the trolling has been directed at the SJW type threads and particularly posters who talk about being PoC. Of course those posters and the associated threads are very tight about the sort of conversations they're willing to listen to so they'll crush both trolls and normies as well.

There is a fascinating meta discussion about how internet watering holes have been effectively disrupted by extremists, typically on the far right, in order to destroy any normal conversation that seems too liberal/left/SJW/insert insult here. And the reaction against that has often been extreme crackdowns that throw the baby out with the bathwater.

TLDR: Political discussion on the internet is loving wild man especially in the age of Trump

Anywho, be thankful TFF is a chill rear end forum and pray we get some decent mods since our good ones are apparently no longer in power. Pour one out for MV and Intruder. (and of course always for Wheez)

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 20, 2017

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

kayakyakr posted:

/r/olltide

Appears to be a Tennessee troll subreddit. That's pretty good.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Warbird posted:

Appears to be a Tennessee troll subreddit. That's pretty good.

reddit/r/olltide

:dadjoke:

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Make me mod in a peaceful transition of power

I won't pay attention to things and will largely do nothing but change thread titles

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The linked article is behind a paywall, but apparently Michigan is planning a trip to Rome as part of spring training.
https://twitter.com/balas_wolverine/status/822490883484450816

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Jokes on everyone, it's Rome, Georgia

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
That level of pettiness is precisely why we keep ridiculing Harbaugh.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Muschamp has family in the Rome area actually

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

Noctone posted:

That level of pettiness is precisely why we keep ridiculing Harbaugh.
What exactly is petty about taking your team to Rome?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SpiritualDeath posted:

What exactly is petty about taking your team to Rome?

The P5 conferences voted to ban off-campus practice recently but it doesn't come into effect until this summer. The rule itself was basically targeting Harbaugh since nobody else even does off-campus practices. So if this trip comes to pass, it's basically Harbaugh saying "gently caress the police."

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Pakled posted:

The P5 conferences voted to ban off-campus practice recently but it doesn't come into effect until this summer. The rule itself was basically targeting Harbaugh since nobody else even does off-campus practices.

Tech does one in Midland each year and is doing their spring game in Dallas this go-round (at the cowboy's training facility).

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
So he's going to Italy to practice?

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Relentlessboredomm posted:

TLDR: Political discussion on the internet is loving wild man especially in the age of Trump

Anywho, be thankful TFF is a chill rear end forum and pray we get some decent mods since our good ones are apparently no longer in power. Pour one out for MV and Intruder. (and of course always for Wheez)

drat. MMA and wrestling mods are gone, too. Ray Parlour has a mod, but he probated himself. Reading about all of this makes for an odd end to an odd day.

Thanks to MW, Intruder, and previous mods like Albrot, Gendo, SBA, for pitching in on this stupidass forum for free and putting up with so many nutcases over the years. Can't imagine reading about sports anywhere else.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
I'll miss MV as mod, as tribute to him here he is along with his friends and family.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Posting this here instead of coaching since I think it'll get more traffic. Article includes the actual email. I am so sorry Houston.

quote:

Part of Mark D’Onofrio‘s pitch to the University of Houston: the time he had away from college football will help him construct a “bad rear end defense.”

In a highly complimentary email typed on his iPhone to new Houston coach Major Applewhite, D’Onofrio pledged to “work [his] rear end off” if hired, and will coach a group that “knocks the crap out of people.”

Apparently, his pitch worked. Houston hired D’Onofrio, who reportedly spent last year coaching one of his sons at a Boys & Girls Club in Miami, on Jan. 6. According to a memorandum of understanding signed by D’Onofrio — not an official contract, but an acknowledgement of terms — UH was prepared to pay him a base salary of $400,000, plus bonuses.

D’Onofrio, who was not retained by new Miami coach Mark Richt in Dec. 2015, was a regular target of fan criticism during his five seasons with the Hurricanes. The defenses he ran under coach Al Golden produced a couple high draft picks (Artie Burns, Denzel Perryman) but were statistically average to below-average and often came up short in tight games. Missed tackles and finishing games were consistent issues.

In the email to Applewhite, D’Onofrio said both of those issues would be strengths for the Cougars, who lost coach Tom Herman to Texas and promoted Applewhite, his offensive coordinator.

D’Onofrio said he would “offer the good and bad experiences I’ve had if needed.

“I am refreshed and ready to go following a year off. … I’ve had a lot of time to review my 123 games, and watch a ton of games this year.”

He said he has “reflect[ed] on how I can improve in every area. As you know, this can only be done when you have Experience [sic] to reflect on.

“I have a chip on my shoulder to do my part better than I ever have.”

http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpos...ad-rear end-defense/

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Please don't doxx me

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Once upon a time being a mod seemed like a nifty thing. Not for a long time tho.

At least this place is still legit. I really don't know what I'd do without TFF.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
In no mods Trump America do we get the SEC thread back??

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

vikingstrike posted:

In no mods Trump America do we get the SEC thread back??

No.

Actually let me-

No.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

iospace posted:

No.

Actually let me-

No.

Where you around for the glory of the SEC thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Oooh wait can I get probated now? Let's see.

Ahem: Buttgers

• Locked thread