Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lucky for you werewaif getting lasik is the new adding 15 pounds of muscle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

straight up brolic posted:

lucky for you werewaif getting lasik is the new adding 15 pounds of muscle

Next stop is the trt, then the hgh, then the beta blockers, and soon you'll hear rumors about the 6'2 power forward for the Grand Rapids drive with the blonde moustache and a compression ssleeve that covers his entire body, from toes to fingers? Is it legal? We're willing to fight in a court of law

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Sorry for all the typos, I'm getting eye surgery in a few days and can only sort of see

Are you getting a bionic eye? That would be cool.

In all seriousness though, good luck!

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dejan Bimble posted:

Next stop is the trt, then the hgh, then the beta blockers, and soon you'll hear rumors about the 6'2 power forward for the Grand Rapids drive with the blonde moustache and a compression ssleeve that covers his entire body, from toes to fingers? Is it legal? We're willing to fight in a court of law

Wedgie Jackson incoming

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dejan Bimble posted:

I've got you in the early 2nd round, but rising!

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

pubic works project posted:

Are you getting a bionic eye? That would be cool.

In all seriousness though, good luck!

It's going to be exactly like this but it also scans for upcoming artists I can promote in the new gallery space I'm building in the ruins of the pontiac silverdome and it will revitalize tony mitchell's career by allowing me to project a beam of light that directs him to precisely the right place on the court

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's going to be exactly like this but it also scans for upcoming artists I can promote in the new gallery space I'm building in the ruins of the pontiac silverdome and it will revitalize tony mitchell's career by allowing me to project a beam of light that directs him to precisely the right place on the court

This is a good gif, because that could either be a rough biker bar or a hipster joint with a killer Regina Spektor cover singer.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

im getting they live glassses that tell me if someone has the look

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tae posted:

Dunn is sunk costs, they're not the kings and gonna abandon their pick 2 months in

Doesn't sunk cost theory mean that spending a pick on him 2 months ago should have no weight on whether or not they abandon him?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

Doesn't sunk cost theory mean that spending a pick on him 2 months ago should have no weight on whether or not they abandon him?
It does

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Dejan Bimble posted:

I'm jealous as gently caress right now.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

straight up brolic posted:

im getting they live glassses that tell me if someone has the look

(Two guys with the oakley frog esque glasses walk into the gym, both glance at the small forward in the layup line, tip their glassses down , make eye contact, smile, and nod their heads)

WhyteRyce posted:

It should have weight if they have any belief in their own scouts and player development people, and him as a human being. He's a living growing baller, not a catastrophically damaged rice planting machine

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

It shouldn't. Giving play time to a rookie who isn't doing the right things isn't going to magically fix him. There was a great piece about that last year on Zach Lavine.

I think it sends a bad message to a team if one rookie goes out, plays competently as a backup, and loses playing time to a rookie that's playing poorly.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I've decided Kris Dunn is actually cool and fun and will be good.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Carmelo just said that he is actually open to waiving his NTC.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Do you think Obama will play in the celebrity game now?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It sounds like people are confusing the concept of sunk cost with "it takes time to develop a player"

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Doltos posted:

It shouldn't. Giving play time to a rookie who isn't doing the right things isn't going to magically fix him. There was a great piece about that last year on Zach Lavine.

I think it sends a bad message to a team if one rookie goes out, plays competently as a backup, and loses playing time to a rookie that's playing poorly.

I think you misunderstood what they are saying. They are saying the sunk cost fallacy is when you give a guy minutes who doesn't deserve it just because you drafted him high, and it's bad.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Chairchucker posted:

I've decided Kris Dunn is actually cool and fun and will be good.

[citation needed]

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I'm way late on this:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/myles-turner-indiana-pacers/

Myles Turner seems like a good dude. And he can ball.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

IcePhoenix posted:

[citation needed]

The citation is me and my decision making just now.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

drat I sure hope so!

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I made a video of Paul Zipser playing defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftr0gz2Ggmw

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The Thomas Robinson pick was even more hilarious in hindsight because Keith Smart came out and said something along the line of "we knew he would have trouble finishing around the basket because he's a below the rim player but we didn't know he'd be that bad". I hated the trade at the time and the primary reason it was made is absolutely terrible, but cutting bait with that dude so soon after drafting him wasn't necessarily a bad thing by itself. The real mistake was drafting him in the first place, don't compound the mistake by making another.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Who in the everloving gently caress is Paul Zipser

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This is everything I need in life, please.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

WhyteRyce posted:

It's not sunk cost theory as much as it's the fact that no team is going to give up anything valuable for a rookie that's struggling.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

dokmo posted:

HE LITERALLY TURNS HIS BACK TO THE PLAYER HE IS DEFENDING WHAT THE gently caress

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

It sounds like people are confusing the concept of sunk cost with "it takes time to develop a player"

I think its because people are confused as to what point they are arguing. I don't think many people are saying Dunn shouldn't get playing time. But many of us are saying you shouldn't jettison a good starter to make sure the way is clear. Doing the 2nd thing would be falling for the sunk cost fallacy at this point.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Paul Zuvella posted:

Who in the everloving gently caress is Paul Zipser

I was at a D League game and a coach was talking up Dennis Clifford and I asked who was Dennis Clifford and he gave me the same look I'm giving you now.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

It's not sunk cost theory as much as it's the fact that no team is going to give up anything valuable for a rookie that's struggling.

Sacramento is willing to give up former top 10 pick Ben McLemore. Lottery pick for lottery pick is fair

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Every time I see Zipser's name I think of this and giggle http://pippenainteasy.com/2016/09/02/doug-mcdermott-as-jazzs-pistol-pete-and-paul-zipser-as-sixers-bobby-jones/

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
That's backup starting SF and PF Paul Zipser to you motherfuckers. AKA the Bonefoot man.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Spite posted:

I'm way late on this:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/myles-turner-indiana-pacers/

Myles Turner seems like a good dude. And he can ball.

Before he even played his first game in Indiana he was out in the city doing a WARM Program, and continues to do it:

quote:

I've gotten lots of questions about recent photos of me giving out bags to people in need in Indianapolis. What was happening was a Turner family tradition going back to when I was a child. We call it WARM.

Growing up my parents taught us the importance of giving back. During the winter they kept our car stocked with coats, blankets and care packs, just in case we saw someone in need. My family and I are carrying on that tradition this winter with our WARM Packs because,

We, All, Really, Matter

My family would like to encourage you to join us in this tradition by simply keeping a couple of baggies with comforting items handy and maybe add a note of encouragement!

Let’s Keep Indy WARM this winter!

Packages could Include the following:
Bottle of water , Juice Packs, Peanut Butter Crackers, Cheese Crackers, Granola, Cereal Bars, Poptarts, Fruit Cup, Nuts, Cough Drops/Tylenol, Wipes, Kleenex, Tooth Brush/Toothpaste, Lotion, ChapStick, Socks, Gloves, Hand Warmers, Thermal Blankets.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

dokmo posted:

I was at a D League game and a coach was talking up Dennis Clifford and I asked who was Dennis Clifford and he gave me the same look I'm giving you now.

So he's the next great white hope?

Or is he a generic lovely euro.

I need to know plz.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Paul Zuvella posted:

So he's the next great white hope?

Or is he a generic lovely euro.

I need to know plz.

The next GWH will be Luka Doncic.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

dokmo posted:

He seems to think guarding his man while behind them is an effective thong to do.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BWV posted:

Cant believe the night I go out drinking AFK I mis the all star meltdowns.

I don't really care so much. I would've loved to see an all raptors back court but if the fans wanna see Kyrie they should see him, he does cool poo poo too. Feel bad for Westbrook too but I'm sure he'll get as many minutes as Curry and probably win the MVP.

Just sad I missed the part where you guys dunked on someone so hard he never wants to post again.

Lastly, MorningView was a great mod who never banned me for poo poo posting about the refs or for rage posting about Dwayne Casey.

Dejan Bimble posted:

That injury video was nice. Wouldn't it be great if mainstream basketball Analysis was stuff like this and not "Is Von Wafer an Alpha Dawg

MV is great and he's done such a good job that there probably isnt much moderation to do in this thread. We disagree, we make fun of pantsfreezone, we try to back up our half formed theories with esoteric snippets of memory. there are other places to post about basketball on the world wide web but none compare to NBA NV. We have our nice venn diagram of stat,s stats plus real sscouting, gut hunch, insane rantings, bashez's adorable persecution complex, my groundbreaking theoriees that someone already thought of 15 years ago, I really enjoy it

Sorry for all the typos, I'm getting eye surgery in a few days and can only sort of see

This is very nice and I genuinely appreciate it, thank you :)

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Redgrendel2001 posted:

The next GWH will be Luka Doncic.

the next great white hope cannot be a Euro sorry.

I ask right in the post if he is a Euro! God!

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Amazing. Another German player in the NBA. Watch out, world!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

the next great white hope cannot be a Euro sorry.

I ask right in the post if he is a Euro! God!

Watching the inauguration has stunted my English language comprehension.

• Locked thread